The Thornton Sisters - I Keep Forgetting - Cuppy

Soulfuljules

A couple of months ago I uploaded onto my youtube channel a hq soundfile of the Thornton Sisters r&b track on Cuppy, presuming it's the same band that recorded Big City Boy etc

A few days ago, Yvonne Thornton posted a pretty nasty comment stating that they never recorded this tune.

"This record is a sham. I am one of the Thornton Sisters and we NEVER recorded this song, yet Mr. Johnnysoul and this Soulfuljules keep misrepresenting this recording as performed by the Thornton Sisters––which it isn't"

So does anybody know who THESE Thornton Sisters were?

Social source share

Hi Gary,

what do you mean by legit? the record itself is certainly an original 1965 pressing. whether the group were the thornton sisters that recorded Big City Boy or (according to Yvonne Thornton) not, well I don't know.

Could have simply been another group with the same name. It wouldn't certainly be the first case in black music :)

Social source share

Article on this site bout them https://www.soul-sour...-daughters-r293

Search the t'internet for Ditchdiggers Daughters as well.

yeah, i had read the article and found it very interesting indeed.

the thing is that it implies that the group that recorded I Keep Forgetting is the same group that recorded Big City Boy, while Yvonne Thornton strongly denies it.

Social source share

I had the same response from her when I posted it on Youtube a few years ago. If she says she didn't record it then I tend to believe her. But there is always the other possibility, that it was the sisters recording, but they didn't realise it had been released at the time, never got paid and now days they are just very pissed off with the level of interest in it.

The murky world of 60's soul recordings. !!!!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I had the same response from her when I posted it on Youtube a few years ago. If she says she didn't record it then I tend to believe her. But there is always the other possibility, that it was the sisters recording, but they didn't realise it had been released at the time, never got paid and now days they are just very pissed off with the level of interest in it.

The murky world of 60's soul recordings. !!!!

Hello Dave, Long time since stafford, Early 80's.

The only record i've got is Watch your step by them,Maybe it's an omen ???.

Isent it time you reinstated top dog, I,ve still got my membership card.

Garry

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Hi Gary,

what do you mean by legit? the record itself is certainly an original 1965 pressing. whether the group were the thornton sisters that recorded Big City Boy or (according to Yvonne Thornton) not, well I don't know.

Could have simply been another group with the same name. It wouldn't certainly be the first case in black music :)

Thanks , I'm gonna have to get out more, Been of the scene for so long it hurts.

Garry

Social source share

ok, so Dr Yvonne Thornton posted tonight a couple of comments that probably clear this matter

" I am ONE HUNDRED PERCENT positive that The Thornton Sisters did NOT make this recording. What I believed happened was that our former manager, Sonny Cassella (of questionable repute) put our name on this Cuppy label and put it out as being recorded by us (The Thornton Sisters) when in reality it was manufactured by studio musicians."

"We WERE the only group recording under the name of The Thornton Sisters (a sextuplet of musicians). According to the American Federation of Musicians, there was only ONE group of musicians called The Thornton Sisters between 1960 to the present. I DO believe that Sonny Cassella (our former manager) was less than honest in putting our name on this Cuppy recording which we didn't record. Shame on him."

Edited by soulfuljules
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!