What Manner Of Collector Are You?

Guest Brooky

What manner of collector are you?

I think any collecting denotes an obsessive trait......I'm getting worse with age I fear......never thought I'd get on the 'upgrading' hamster wheel.....

So, what sort of collector are you.....

A) Buy perfection only (or close to) first time....

B) Condition secondary as long as it plays satisfactorily

C) Progressive upgrader

I've toppled from category B) to category C) of late.........sign of increased eccentricity??? :huh:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A i carnt see the point in buying a wrecked record

If it plays ok , but looks a bit rough, it's fine with me, especially if that makes it more affordable. I have a few things that I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise, for that very reason.

Social source share

I think any collecting denotes an obsessive trait......I'm getting worse with age I fear......never thought I'd get on the 'upgrading' hamster wheel.....

So, what sort of collector are you.....

B) Condition secondary as long as it plays satisfactorily :thumbsup:

C) Progressive upgrader

I've toppled from category B) to category C) of late.........sign of increased eccentricity??? :huh:

Social source share

B to C.

Then again.....how anal are some?

You are reading the shennanigans of me who last Saturday afternoon found a few hundred creased Company Bags and stood pressing them back into shape with a warm iron and ironing board. Much to my kids bewilderment.

I am sure they think i have lost it completely! Cuckoo!!!

Social source share

B) Condition secondary as long as it plays satisfactorily

C) Progressive upgrader

Hi Brooky

All the above cats for me :dash2:

atb Kev

Social source share

If it plays OK I'll buy it as long as it is priced accordingly.

I don't think of myself as a collector though, I buy records because I like them but I don't "collect" as such. If I get bored with stuff I sell it and rarely regret it. I don't collect labels or artists or anything I just buy records I like cos I like records.

Does that make sense?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

white van man on a budget so has to be b...if it plays good it will do...always nice to have minters but always the cheaper tunes for me...

very rarely upgrade...too many other tunes to buy!!...

collect full run of artist/label?...no,same reason too many tunes i actually like that i wanna buy

dean

Social source share

I fall into the A camp, trying to always get a "keeper copy."

I hope to someday catalog my records and have notations next to records in a spreadsheet/database that indicates where I need to do an upgrade.

Sometimes, it just comes down with some records that I have a "clean," playable copy that doesn't skip or play with background noise. With some records being so rare, I just accept that some of the records may be as good as I find.

All of that said, it comes down to what I can afford.

Cheers.

Social source share

I'm 100% in the boat of picking up 45s regardless of their label condtion...or for that matter surface condition. I'm only really interested in how they play. H20 damage , WOL and all that is my bread and butter. Just having the orginal article and knowing that it was pressed along way from where I live in Melbourne and a long time before I was born just gives me a buzz. It's nice to have a record in good condition, but its the play quality that is all important for mine...and ofcouse the price.

I am probably the opposite of most people on here, in so far as I don't really like owning Mint records. When I get a 45 in spanking mint condition I get all stressed about scuffing it when I take it out of sleeves, warping it by not storing it perfectly and generally horrified at playing it after a few beers incase I spill anything or whatever. Much prefer a solid VG++ or whatever that is clean, but I can relax with. That way I don't feel so ridiculously obliged to care for the record like a new born baby. I would have a mental breakdown if I had to look after a clean collection of shrines or something!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I tend to be b-c but i have been known to buy lesser grade records to play in the house, for example i got a rather scratchy 45 (it plays through with no jumps) of "kiss my love goodbye" original for less than a tenner inc p&p. So what cash i can afford to spend at the time rules, But if its just for in the house i would rather have it than not, (although i do have a mint condition re-press of this record). Thinking about it this is maybe to obsessive.

Social source share

I think if you're willing to take a gamble on condition, sometimes you can get a really amazing deal on very rare records. Ebay is especially good for this on occasion, where the seller doesn't have the faintest clue about the record they're selling or how to grade them. This last year I literally had to jump through hoops to get a record from the US. The seller wouldn't ship overseas, and even though I gave her my mom's address in the US she still wouldn't send it until I changed my address officially with ebay. after all this, and months of waiting due to my mom posting it to the wrong address (luckily insured) I ended up with a VG- (wol) copy of Ann Sexton - You've Been Gone Too Long on original yellow label for a mere 99 cents (and 99 cents only since the seller offered free shipping within the US :rofl: ).

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!