Sceneman

In no particular order and a bit of a mix of styles;

Ken and Keith- I won't let you go.

Al Barry and the Cimarons - Morning Sun

Burning Spear - This Population

The Messengers - Crowded City

Desmond Dekker - Fu Manchu

Augustus Pablo & The simplicity People - K.G.s Half Way Tree

Carlton and the shoes - Love me forever.

Soul Syndicate - Riot.

The Soulmates - Them a laugh and a kiki

Alton Ellis - A Fool.

:)

Social source share

My fav's:-

Guilty - Tiger

Please don't make me cry - Winston Groovy

The Law (chapters 1 & 2) - Andy Capp

Cherry Oh Baby - Eric Donaldson

Leaving Rome - Jo Jo bennett

What greater love - Teddy Brown

Grooving out on Life - Hopton Lewis

Stand by your Man - Merlene Webber

Cheers

Yogi :)

Edited by Willow
Social source share

Hello here are 10 of my faves ( I decided to skip the Ska tunes it was already difficult enough to narrow it down to 10 )

Bob Andy - You Don't Know

Winston Francis - Ten Times Sweeter

Uniques - Love and Devotion

Uniques - My Conversation

Techniques - Go Find Yourself a Fool

Ernest Wilson - Undying Love

Boby Ellis - Step Softly

Cats - Falling in Love

Clarendonians - Lonely Heartaches

Milton Morris - No Bread and Butter

Edited by malik
Social source share

top ten roots (revival)...maybe!..in no order

truth and rights-johnny osbourne

get ready-gladiators

hard times-pablo gad

the sun -burning spear

hard fighter-little roy

saturday night special-michael dyke

equal rights peter tosh

war/no more trouble (live) bob marley

rat a cut bottle-lion youth

declaration of rights -abbysinnians

dean

Social source share

i like em hard so

Goldfinger Tommy McCook ,(top play at the El Partido in the 60s )

Cleopatra Prince Buster

Teenage Ska Baba Brooks

softer

Rude Boy Gone Jail Desmond Baker and the Claredonians

Housewifes Choice Derrek and Patsy

Chase the Devil Max Romeo

Dont Call me daddy Derek Morgan

Pressure Drop Toots and the maytals

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

Guest Frank Jr

And another great reggae version of a Northern Soul classic:

I always wondered what she's singing; "now we're in love" or what?

Her best version of a northern classic surely must be "make me yours", the best version of that song imo!

Edited by Frank Jr
Social source share

No expert here but best stuff I've heard so far is:

Alton Ellis - Breaking Up

Stranger Cole - Crying

Larry Marshall - I Got To Make It

Johnny & The Attractions - Cross My Heart

Prince Buster - Linger On

Eddie Perkins - My Darling

Errol Dunkley - You Gonna Need Me

Owen Gray - Take Me Back

Delroy Wilson - I Don't Know Why

Renegades - Knocking On My Door

Audrey - You'll Lose A Good Thing

Ernest Wilson - Undying Love

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Several of these have been mentioned already, but that doesn't stop them being some of my favourites.

No More Heartaches The Beltones

How Long Will It Take Pat Kelley (Is my GAS copy the one with or without the strings?)

Please Don't Make Me Cry Winston Groovey

Maybe The Next Time Pat Rhoden

Tonight John Holt

You Don't Care The Techniques (Didn't know the original until much later - not obvious though, with a different title and no writer credits!)

What Am I To Do Tony Scott

Rudy A Message To You Dandy

A Place In The Sun David Isaacs

Don't Play that Song Derrick Morgan

Social source share

ERNEST WILSON - SHE'S SO FINE - AMALGAMATED AMG 837 (1969)

One of the more obscure releases featured in this session, this is generally reckoned to be Glen Adams and not Ernest Wilson, to add to the confusion, the official A side (a rather too frantic reggae version of "Private Number") is credited to Ernest Jones! Why did they make it so hard for us LOL? Anyway, "She's So Fine" is a lovely Rocksteady tune cut the previous year by Bunny Lee (I think) and features a catchy chorus and an excellent vocal from the multi-talented Mr. Adams.

Picked up one of these myself recently Pete - it's stunning. There seems to be another version by him without the lovely backing vocals - is that the Jackpot release?

I'm a big fan of The Viceroys 'Send Requests' but only have this later Big Shot version by The Teardrops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxpYmXVv8Z0

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

ERNEST WILSON - SHE'S SO FINE - AMALGAMATED AMG 837 (1969)

One of the more obscure releases featured in this session, this is generally reckoned to be Glen Adams and not Ernest Wilson, to add to the confusion, the official A side (a rather too frantic reggae version of "Private Number") is credited to Ernest Jones! Why did they make it so hard for us LOL? Anyway, "She's So Fine" is a lovely Rocksteady tune cut the previous year by Bunny Lee (I think) and features a catchy chorus and an excellent vocal from the multi-talented Mr. Adams.

Picked up one of these myself recently Pete - it's stunning. There seems to be another version by him without the lovely backing vocals - is that the Jackpot release?

I'm a bit fan of The Viceroys 'Send Requests' but only have this later Big Shot version by The Teardrops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxpYmXVv8Z0

The Teardrops.

I sold that a couple of years ago but it is the same recording as The Viceroys isn't it? Well that's how I described it anyway.

I'll try and find out if there's another version of that Amalgamated 45, but it's very very confusing.

Firstly, it's definitely Glen Adams not Ernest Wilson. And it also came out on UK Island at the same time as the Amalgamated 45. The Jamaican label was a short lived Bunny Lee thing called Soul Shot.

Social source share

How amazing is this:

I've noticed there are a lot of records like this starting to get more recognition mainly from the Soul collectors as the Soul dries up, because of course it's only that Reggae beat that stops this from being a soul record - the voice is fantastic.

Social source share

re: Larry Marshall - It's all about that amazing moody guitar that drops in - really eerie and soulful. Personally i'm really enjoying tentatively dipping a toe into the JA stuff - hearing amazing new sounds everyday.

Apart from having to nearly sell the little collection i'd started a few months back due to money issues!!! Really really glad i was able to hold onto them in the end.

re: Teardrops / Ernest Wilson (Glen Adams): Yes the teardrops thing seems to be a mix up of the Viceroys and Paragons 'Tide Is High' - it's from '71 but sounds earlier. Probably explains the title :)

With regard to GA - the version I've heard was from I-Tunes - not sure if maybe it's an unreleased version? I thought I'd seen a JA Jackpot press so maybe it's from that? I could be confused here though as the waters are much muddier than the soul stuff!! The Amalgamated / Island UK version is much better anyway.

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

re: Larry Marshall - It's all about that amazing moody guitar that drops in - really eerie and soulful. Personally i'm really enjoying tentatively dipping a toe into the JA stuff - hearing amazing new sounds everyday.

Apart from having to nearly sell the little collection i'd started a few months back due to money issues!!! Really really glad i was able to hold onto them in the end.

re: Teardrops / Ernest Wilson (Glen Adams): Yes the teardrops thing seems to be a mix up of the Viceroys and Paragons 'Tide Is High' - it's from '71 but sounds earlier. Probably explains the title :)

With regard to GA - the version I've heard was from I-Tunes - not sure if maybe it's an unreleased version? I've seen a JA Jackpot press so maybe it's from that? The Amalgamated / Island UK version is much better anyway.

Same here, I've just had to go through all mine and save the ones I call my 'desert island discs' I ended up with 110 of them, put them in a box, meaning I'll be selling about 150 quality items next few weeks, or 250+ if I include all my red and white Island 45's.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, "You'll Lose a Good Thing' by Audrey deserves a place on any short list of great Reggae covers. It doesn't come up for sale very often, and does not go cheap when it does. The last one offered on eBay went for 126 quid: not really expensive for a soul record, but a whole hell of a lot more than I am used to paying for original Rocksteady 45s.

Social source share

love the treasure isle version better myself too...mines got an odd instrumental flip called party time with two guys chatting and breaking out with laughter?

he done so many great soul covers....can i change my mind-tyrone davis springs to mind..also done by alton at studio one

one of altons sons 'troy' often plays live in the uk and i came through the small wiltshire town of bradford on avon last week and saw a board outside the smallest of pubs advertising him and his reggae band playing!

saw alton a couple times in ja...great singer..one night of the week was rock steady night at sunsplash all the big artists,have to dig out the programme

Social source share

Guest brickiesondecks

keith and ken/bluesbusters- I wont let you go

hopeton lewis- this music got soul

dakota jim- only soul can tell

dennis brown- three meals a day

gregory isaacs- one more time

burning spear- marcus garvey

kingstonians- hold down

mighty diamonds- have mercy

black uhuru- plastic smile

king tubby meets the rockers uptown

tenor saw- ring the alarm

prince buster- prince of peace

maytals- dog war

there's a little bit of Dub in there,,

but asking for a Ska/Reggae top ten without Dub is like asking for a Soul top ten without Motown !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!