Name Your Top Ten Ska And Reggae

Sceneman

Guest Frank Jr

Some nice choices, there's hundreds of great Jamaican covers of soul tunes.

I just forgot my fav one. Has anybody flipped The notations "I can't stop" on Twinight over? Oh, never mind 500k+ views on youtube..

Anyway, I actually heard this version way before and I'm absolutely in love with it. Junior Moore, singer of The Tamlins;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_rmPR_SIkM

Social source share

Guest Frank Jr

Btw, what about this for a top soulful gem??

It's Larry Marshall and the B-side of "Little boy blue". Expensive as Celest Hardie record these days.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ScooterNik

I Love Reggae - Dirty Revolution

Butterfly Sex Bong - Jeramiah Ferarri

Not A Number - Random Hand

Freedom Train - Owen Bardwell Collective

Titanic - Too Many Crooks

Do You Want Me To Be The Cat - Miacca

:hypocrite::yes::D

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Some great tunes being thrown about and thats just the few I know, so would anyone be intrested in a Reggae & Ska CD swop? If theres any intrest I post as a new topic, and be prepared to run it! What do you think?

Blake

A few years back some members on here sent me cds thanks to guys like Toad,Pete S,Zap,Pete Griffin & others I got to hear great stuff i wouldn't have heard any other way cheers me dears

Social source share

1. Roland Alphonso - Phoenix City
  2. Eric Donaldson - Blue Boots
  3. Ethiopians - Train To Skaville
  4. Paragons - Happy Go Lucky Girl
  5. Skatalites - Guns Of Navarone
  6. Heptones - Book Of Rules
  7. Maytals - Sweet And Dandy
  8. Tennors - Pressure And Slide
  9. Treetops (Three Tops) - It's Raining
  10. Sound Dimension - Real Rock
Social source share

Why? cause it's made after 72ish? :D

Yes basically, all these horrible roots and 'normal' reggae records from the 70's and 80's, I class these at about the same level as most 70's soul, it's pointless, meaningless, it has no energy and while I do appreciate the vocals, the musicians and the producers, many of whom are geniuses, the actual music is as uninteresting as anything I've ever heard. I wouldn't miss it if it all disappeared over night. Sorry. Just my opinion, I'm sure many of you feel the same way about decent Jamaican music from the 60's :)

Social source share

Guest Frank Jr

Yes basically, all these horrible roots and 'normal' reggae records from the 70's and 80's, I class these at about the same level as most 70's soul, it's pointless, meaningless, it has no energy and while I do appreciate the vocals, the musicians and the producers, many of whom are geniuses, the actual music is as uninteresting as anything I've ever heard. I wouldn't miss it if it all disappeared over night. Sorry. Just my opinion, I'm sure many of you feel the same way about decent Jamaican music from the 60's :)

Aprreciate your honesty! If it's a good song, I like most genres of black music from say 50's all the way to Mary J Blige and Mobb Deep :shhh: , but that's just my opinion.. Do prefer 60's stuff though!
Social source share

Aprreciate your honesty! If it's a good song, I like most genres of black music from say 50's all the way to Mary J Blige and Mobb Deep :shhh: , but that's just my opinion.. Do prefer 60's stuff though!

It's like when any 'sound' changes Frank, you can either go with it and see where it ends up or stick to what you like, Reggae in the 70's, although I used to buy a single every other week with my pocket money, never went anywhere for me. When I was a bit older, in the late 70's and onwards, I really loved dub and the dj (toasting) records and still do...but you know when people quote say Heart Of The Congos as being the best reggae album ever, I couldn't listen to more than one track without falling asleep. It's the same as asking a 50's R&B fan to start buying 80's electro music.

Social source share

p.s. new podcast here

https://www.mixcloud.com/mayfairmenthol/singles-bar-5/

THE MARVELLS — FIGHT A BROKE — GAS

ROLAND ALPHONSO — LOVER BOY — GAYFEET

THE REGGAE BOYS — WHAT YOU GONNA DO — UNITY

THE FEDERALS — YOU BETTER CALL ON ME — CAMEL

PRINCE BUSTER — WRECK A PUM PUM — FAB

SIR LORD COMIC — JACK OF MY TRADE — PRESSURE BEAT

DENNIS ALCAPONE & DENNIS BROWN — GET IN THE GROOVE — DUKE

THE PIONEERS — EASY COME EASY GO — PYRAMID

LIZZY — MORE HEARTACHES — HARRY J

THE PIONEERS — JACKPOT — AMALGAMATED

BOBBY ELLIS — REINCARNATE — DYNAMIC

KING IWAH — GIVE ME POWER — UPSETTER

GENE RONDO — LOVER’S QUESTION — DOWNTOWN

NORMA FRASER — EVERYBODY LOVES A LOVER — SKA BEAT

ROY PANTON — YOU DON’T KNOW ME — RIO

DESMOND DEKKER — HONOUR YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER — ISLAND

BUSTERS ALL STARS — GUN THE MAN DOWN — BLUE BEAT

THE SOULETTES — OPPORTUNITY — SKA BEAT

DERRICK HARRIOTT — THE JERK — ISLAND

LAUREL AITKEN — I SHALL REMOVE — ISLAND

BOB ANDY — I’VE GOT TO GO BACK HOME — ISLAND

THE RIO GRANDES — SOLDIERS TAKE OVER — PYRAMID

POMPHREY (DILLINGER) — JAMAICA SKANK — GREEN DOOR

ALTON ELLIS — I’M STILL IN LOVE — STUDIO ONE

Social source share

Good Morning from the snow drenched high peak. Today we have just left of the deck:

CORNEL CAMPBELL 'PRETTY LOOKS ISN'T ALL'

-I am a Leroy Sibbles man in all things but I do prefer this version of the Heptones classic.

GREGORY ISAAC 'WRITE MYSELF A LETTER'

-causes lite rioting on the dancefloor...started leaving it at home.

GINGER WILLIAMS 'I CAN'T RESIST YOUR TENDERNESS'

-the sound of sunday nights at Christ The King Youth Club live on.

HORACE ANDY 'SHOW AND TELL'

CORNELL CAMPBELL 'DIDN'T I'

-both versions

AL CAMBELL 'GEE BABY'

RICHARD ACE 'LOVE IS SO GOOD WHEN [YOU'RE STEALING IT]'

-they are really good at southern soul at studio one.

MARCIA GRIFFITHS 'TRULY'

THE SHADES 'GO FIND YOURSELF A FOOL'

-again love the techniques but prefer this version.

STRECKER DECKER 'GIRL YOU HAVE LEFT ME'

Over and out

dean

Social source share

The Paragons- I've got to get away

The Kingstonians - Sufferer

The Kingstonians - Hold down

Claudette - Skinhead a Bash Them

Jackie Opal - Your too bad

The Wailers - Simmer down

The Hot Rod Allstars - Skinheads don't fear

The Skatalites - Christine Keeler

Derrick and Patsy - Gyspy Woman

And last but not least Judge Dread- Bring back the Skins! :thumbup:

Edited by Emily73
Social source share

Guest Frank Jr

p.s. new podcast here

A truly great one as well! I always loved The federals and Norma Fraser is a new fav of mine since I saw the Jm auction of it some time ago. Is the Federals a hard one to pick up? I only known it as "Shocking Love" before, seems to be a lot of blanks of it out. Btw, a little bit of topic but I wonder how you regard blanks over there, they're not boots but not like Dj copies, right? And I always wondered where Reggae and rocksteady is big (like a club scene etc.), Is it Mostly in London and then only Soul up north?

I don't think 50's r'n'b is as close to 80's electro as kind of "new breed" reggae or lovers is to rocksteady, lot of the riddims are just taken (or stolen) straight from the treasure isle catalogue! But off course, the originals are often the best.

Social source share

A truly great one as well! I always loved The federals and Norma Fraser is a new fav of mine since I saw the Jm auction of it some time ago. Is the Federals a hard one to pick up? I only known it as "Shocking Love" before, seems to be a lot of blanks of it out. Btw, a little bit of topic but I wonder how you regard blanks over there, they're not boots but not like Dj copies, right? And I always wondered where Reggae and rocksteady is big (like a club scene etc.), Is it Mostly in London and then only Soul up north?

I don't think 50's r'n'b is as close to 80's electro as kind of "new breed" reggae or lovers is to rocksteady, lot of the riddims are just taken (or stolen) straight from the treasure isle catalogue! But off course, the originals are often the best.

Thanks Frank glad you liked it.I got Norma Fraser off Ebay about 6 weeks back for (I think) £48 or thereabouts.You Better Call On Me is indeed a reissue of Shocking Love which came out on Island about 18 months earlier.Blanks are pre release copies but anything without a label is pointless so unlike Tim below, I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole unless I couldn't get it on a UK pressing.I've no idea about Reggae events, I've been buying Reggae since 1970 and I have never been to a Reggae do of any sort! I'd like to, but have never known anyone else interested enough to go.

Social source share

well, ya can't beat ken booth but I really like the vocals !!!!!!!!! Fantastic B side as well !!!! Anyway it's.. TIME IS GETTING HARDER~Versatiles/ COME ALONG~Mellotones/Versatiles :hatsoff2: I am not 100 % sure but that is what people assume it is !!! :elvis:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

well, ya can't beat ken booth but I really like the vocals !!!!!!!!! Fantastic B side as well !!!! Anyway it's.. TIME IS GETTING HARDER~Versatiles/ COME ALONG~Mellotones/Versatiles :hatsoff2: I am not 100 % sure but that is what people assume it is !!! :elvis:

Prince Buster productions apparently!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest MissHongkongfuey

The top ten changes constantly but at the minute.....

Foey Man - George Dekker (always at the top for me)

Fragile - Cimerons

All My Enemies Beware - Twinkle Brothers

Amen - Peter Tosh & The Wailers

Karma Police - Easy Star All Stars (Absolute blinding cover of the Radiohead classic)

Healing of The Nation - Jacob Miller

Unchained - Bob Andy

One Two Order - Tarrus Riley

War Ina  Babylon - Max Romeo

Belly Lick - Dennis Walks

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Today My Cherubs,

lurking near the downstairs technics we have....

MARCIA GRIFFITHS 'TRULY'

GREGORY ISAACS 'CHUNIE [YOUR MY NUMBER ONE]'

CORNELL CAMPBELL 'DIDN'T I'

DONNA DAWSON 'MONEY CAN'T BUY LOVE'

WINSTON CURTIS 'SO MANY WAYS'

MELODIANS 'SWING AND DINE'

NOEL BROWN 'HEARTBREAK GIRL'

THE SILVERTONES 'MIDNIGHT HOUR'

THE HEPTONES 'ONLY SIXTEEN'

GREGORY ISAACS 'EXTRA CLASSIC'

Social source share

This is why it's too difficult to choose favourites, I'm doing a "Skatalites & Friends" podcast tonight, around 35 tracks, and at least 20 of them deserve to be called all time classics, it's impossible to choose the best, how about this one for a start THE SKATALITES - CLEOPATRA

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Tamlins - Baltimore

Carlton and the Shoes - Let Me Love You

Eizabeth Archer - Feel Like Making Love

Deborahe Glasgow - Give Me That Touch

Desi Roots - Hung Up

Investigators - Turn Out The Light

Sandra Cross - Your Lying

Marie Pierre - Choose Me

Cool Notes - Kidnap My Baby

Nina Decosta - Don't Want to Lose You

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL HERES THE FIRST 2 FROM THE 10, SCANS ONLY (SHAME) I WILL HAVE TO THINK HARD AFTER THIS, I HAVE GOT MY 123 ALREADY, SO WHAT 5 DO I PICK?????

post-13241-0-14460700-1369786126_thumb.j

1st up this is one you should all have, based on the 67 COXONE sound of Jackie Mitto's "whiter shade of "

We have the SOUNDS UNLIMITED, fantastic deep mover with a haunting rhythm that is so effective, paving the way for great music to come, this is a reggae instrumental of class, it's not a pop-a pop-a come blow my horn stuff of the era (not a skinhead tune) this is one to skin up to SCEAN value £80+.

post-13241-0-04905800-1369786173_thumb.j

2nd up we have from the UK DOCTOR BIRD Label, Sir Lord Comic - "SKA-ing West" BIG SOUND in 67 especially at BOWES-LYON Stevenage New Town, this was the first place I become aware of Jamaican music & dancing, live bands like the KINKS SMALL FACES GENO WASHINGTON & the RAM JAM BAND and the WHO all played at BOWES, it was MOD WORLD inside, the WHIP also on DOCTOR BIRD comes to mind but does not make my top 10 as they have 1 in my top 3 of the 10, :thumbsup: it's a start 5 to go + my top 3. 

:wicked: DAVE K "more than SKIN DEEP"

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest themroc

Feel these licks,

Wailers - Sunday Morning

Tony Gregory - Lonely Teardrops

The Paragons - When The Lights Are Low

Prince Buster - 7 Wonders

Larns Therwell - Mughead Ska

Ken Boothe - Thinking

Count Ossie - Musical Science

Paragons - Riding on a High and Windy day

Pat Kelly - How Long

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Bus Them Shut.

TH TH TH THATS ALL FOLKS.....

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All "when I s ungarey I am habngry, & whrn I hangry, I ungary" "SCENE" Bob Marley to Peter Tosh£, So I must put some sort of WAILERS music, I f you are like me and love the sound of a Broken nose against your Loaf, you will really dig the rhythm & vocal of Peter Touch "Here Comes the Judge"

https://youtu.be/HjS-atiwti4 again I hope this is to your taste in it :ohmy: DAVE K

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.....TRYING TO PUT MY TOP 10 TOGETHER, HAS PROVED TO BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME, THE BIG PROBLEM IS a)producer. b)version. c)artist.

d)studio.

For every reggae 45 issued in the UK, there are at least 15 in JA, most records are based on rythem tracks which can have 10 versions of a hit tune.

So it is with this in mind, I have chosen a track that sounds good to my ears in 2013 as it did when I first heard it,  One of the essential LPs to have in 69 was the PAMA LP "BANG BANG LULU" THIS TRACK USED TO BE ON A SOHO JUKE BOX IN 68, THE CLUB WAS THE INFAMOUSE LA DUCE, A DIVE BAR AND A PLACE WHERE I GOT RAZORED, IN A FIGHT WITH THE KILBURN MAFIA,

PAMA 45 LYN TAIT & THE JETS "SOUL FOOD" HAS TO BE IN MY TOP 10 JUST ON THE FACT IT BRINGS UP FOR ME THE EARLY DAYS OF THE SKINHEAD SUB CULTURE IN 68, HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS GREAT RECORD IT IS A CLASSIC, :hatsoff2:FOR SOME REASON I CAN NOT PUT THE TRACK ON THIS WRITE UP?

I WILL TRY AGAIN, HOWEVER HERES THE POSTING DAVE K

BIG  THANKS TO PETE SMITH FOR POSTING THE CLIP OF SOUL FOOD,

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.....TRYING TO PUT MY TOP 10 TOGETHER, HAS PROVED TO BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME, THE BIG PROBLEM IS a)producer. b)version. c)artist.

d)studio.

For every reggae 45 issued in the UK, there are at least 15 in JA, most records are based on rythem tracks which can have 10 versions of a hit tune.

So it is with this in mind, I have chosen a track that sounds good to my ears in 2013 as it did when I first heard it,  One of the essential LPs to have in 69 was the PAMA LP "BANG BANG LULU" THIS TRACK USED TO BE ON A SOHO JUKE BOX IN 68, THE CLUB WAS THE INFAMOUSE LA DUCE, A DIVE BAR AND A PLACE WHERE I GOT RAZORED, IN A FIGHT WITH THE KILBURN MAFIA,

PAMA 45 LYN TAIT & THE JETS "SOUL FOOD" HAS TO BE IN MY TOP 10 JUST ON THE FACT IT BRINGS UP FOR ME THE EARLY DAYS OF THE SKINHEAD SUB CULTURE IN 68, HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS GREAT RECORD IT IS A CLASSIC, :hatsoff2:FOR SOME REASON I CAN NOT PUT THE TRACK ON THIS WRITE UP?

I WILL TRY AGAIN, HOWEVER HERES THE POSTING DAVE K

Lee Perry doing the chat maybe?  Nah, maybe not.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!