This Is The Northern Soul We All Love?

We all have a passion for great Northern Soul, and there are literally thousands of superb records. But there are also loads of records played on the scene which many of us either hate, dislike or are simply indifferent to. Of course we all have different tastes, and some styles such as R&B, 70s, beat ballads, or too 'poppy' music which can leave many soulies cold.

So are there any records which unite us all together? Records which we all got into northern soul for, and which are cherished by dancers, collectors, 'connoisseurs' and chin-strokers alike. No? Impossible? Well maybe not. Let's have a go.

Can we find 10 great soulful and uptempo tracks which we ALL know and love - 5 by male artists and 5 by females (and with no artist listed more than once)?

Here's my first crack at it:

Willie Hutch - Love Runs Out

Sandi Sheldon - You're Gonna Make Me Love You

Darrell Banks - Our Love Is In The Pocket

Sandy Wynns - The Touch Of Venus

Al Williams - I Am Nothing

Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind Of Lady

Impressions - You've Been Cheating

Linda Jones - Just Can't Live My Life

Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More

Eula Cooper - Let Our Love Grow Higher

And just for good measure, how about an instrumental:

Hank Jacobs - Elijah Rockin' With Soul

OK, so that's 11 - anyone not think these are brill and want to veto (never mind whether some may have been overplayed)?!?

If you veto any you must give a 'better' alternative.

Peter

Social source share

• Replies 86
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

We all have a passion for great Northern Soul, and there are literally thousands of superb records. But there are also loads of records played on the scene which many of us either hate, dislike or are simply indifferent to. Of course we all have different tastes, and some styles such as R&B, 70s, beat ballads, or too 'poppy' music which can leave many soulies cold.

So are there any records which unite us all together? Records which we all got into northern soul for, and which are cherished by dancers, collectors, 'connoisseurs' and chin-strokers alike. No? Impossible? Well maybe not. Let's have a go.

Can we find 10 great soulful and uptempo tracks which we ALL know and love - 5 by male artists and 5 by females (and with no artist listed more than once)?

Here's my first crack at it:

Darrell Banks - Our Love Is In The Pocket

Sandy Wynns - The Touch Of Venus

Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More

And just for good measure, how about an instrumental:

Hank Jacobs - Elijah Rockin' With Soul

OK, so that's 11 - anyone not think these are brill and want to veto (never mind whether some may have been overplayed)?!?

If you veto any you must give a 'better' alternative.

Peter

Some great sounds there peter bring back memories of the early days Eula Cooper tops.

Billy

Social source share

soulfulsaint Posted Today, 02:21 PM

I'm going to exclude Sandy Wynns 'A Touch of Venus' for

the more soulful Ty Karim 'Lighten Up Baby'. Maybe too slow for some

but I like sets that vary pace as well as taste.

am I alone?

The track 'Lighten Up Baby' is actually quite uptempo (as opposed to the much slower 'Lighten Up' - which I guess is what you probably meant(?)) - and I think would be a better choice as it has the much adopted backing track which everyone loves (surely???), is superbly soulful and a great dancer. Got to be highly regarded in all camps!

Any dissentions?

Peter

Social source share

Seven Souls and Frank Wilson are both good calls . . . . but you have to say which of the other male vocal tracks you would veto for their places??

Personally I think the Frank Wilson is a great song and track, with brilliant harmonies, but the lead vocal is a little weak.

Peter

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Seven Souls and Frank Wilson are both good calls . . . . but you have to say which of the other male vocal tracks you would veto for their places??

Personally I think the Frank Wilson is a great song and track, with brilliant harmonies, but the lead vocal is a little weak.

Peter

Sorry! :ohmy:

I'd drop Willie Hutch for the Seven Souls and Darrell Banks for Frank Wilson

Great thread :wicked:

Social source share

Guest ang b

Carla Thomas as to be a contender,i`ll never stop loving you..........surely everbody likes this? :wicked:

i used to love this tune, i used to sing it to my hubby as the words were very apppropiate when i met him, i still do ,when i do hear it

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Great call on the Seven Souls Simsy!

I think it would be a travesty if we didn't include Frank Wilson as well.

Frank Wilson.. :wicked: sorry, but like 'Wigans Ovation" for me it has come to represent everything bad about northern-Oldie-loving, baggy& vest wearing, pretending it's still 1975 dinosaurs! NOT a tune to unite to!

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Historic track, but unite soulies? I think not. Sorry.

Don't apologise mate, you're probably right. In fact you've proved it.

James McFadden 89th minute by the way :ohmy::wicked:

Social source share

Carla Thomas as to be a contender,i`ll never stop loving you..........surely everbody likes this? :ohmy:

oddly enuff kenny this just went into my playbox for sunday nite......little local do...i fancied hearing it loud :wicked: ..but dont tell anyone i am playing an oldies set ok :wicked:

cookie biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Apart from Sandi Sheldon and Major Lance and possibly Linda Jones it's all 'softie soul' what about some of the rough boys:

How can we leave out the hard boiled..

The Tamangoes - I Really Love You

Larry Clinton - She's Wanted

Eddie Parker - I'm Gone

Morris Chestnut - Too Darn Soulful

:wicked: M.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

ALEXANDER PATTEN - A LIL LOVIN SOMETIMES

BOBBY TREETOP - WAIT TIL I GET TO KNOW YA

JERRY WILLIAMS - IF YOU ASK ME

SALVADORS - STICK BY ME BABY

Social source share

soulfulsaint Posted Today, 02:21 PM

The track 'Lighten Up Baby' is actually quite uptempo (as opposed to the much slower 'Lighten Up' - which I guess is what you probably meant(?)) - and I think would be a better choice as it has the much adopted backing track which everyone loves (surely???), is superbly soulful and a great dancer. Got to be highly regarded in all camps!

Any dissentions?

Peter

Yes your right Peter I stand corrected.

Don't apologise mate, you're probably right. In fact you've proved it.

James McFadden 89th minute by the way :ohmy::wicked:

Staying on topic and on trivia. James McFadden's dad is a mod.

The kind that would like a great double sider like Rose Batiste.

Social source share

Seems to be alot of the Northern uptempo tracks being put forward, not everyones cup of tea nowadays, looking for tracks that appeal to everyone.....

Dee Dee Sharp...What kind of lady , ( Original list )is a very good all rounder, How about Betty Llloyd ..Catching on, Billy Hambric.....She said Goodbye, Frank Dell .....He broke your Game wide open, Ronnie McNier...Sitting in my class.........

Good topic by the way. :yes:

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Frank Wilson.. :yes: sorry, but like 'Wigans Ovation" for me it has come to represent everything bad about northern-Oldie-loving, baggy& vest wearing, pretending it's still 1975 dinosaurs! NOT a tune to unite to!

Here Here.....F,,kin overplayed oldies,crapp crapp,shove um in room 101 with Roberts and his twaty top 500 books etc.

Social source share

Guest soul stormers

A Little Togetherness- Younghearts is a record that makes me proud to belong to such a unique way of life :lol: and still raises the pulse rate when I hear it :yes:

inspirations your wish is my command

l allen can't we talk it over

soul communicaters those lonely nights

john bowie youre gonna miss a good thing

:yes:

Social source share

Frank Wilson.. :yes: sorry, but like 'Wigans Ovation" for me it has come to represent everything bad about northern-Oldie-loving, baggy& vest wearing, pretending it's still 1975 dinosaurs! NOT a tune to unite to!

Stop being so up yr own arse. You have an opinion that has been stematic of most of the problems on the scene over many years.

REMEMBER - without the past there is no future!

Social source share

Pete-S Posted Today, 09:52 AM

Can I just add that we've done this exact thread before, trying to find just ONE record that everyone could agree on was a uniting Northern Soul record, it went on for about 5 pages and I still can't remember what actually won it..

Must have been a really memorable record then Pete!!! lol

Actually we're trying to find 11 records - 5 male leads, 5 female leads and 1 instrumental - which are uptempo and soulful.

Not necessarily THE BEST records in one soulies opinion, but tracks which it is thought EVERY 'type' of northern fan loves (dancers, connoisseurs, collectors etc.).

Lots of names being thrown into the ring, but not much in the way of reasoning why they should replace any one of the others.

So, the list as I think it stands, kicking out Darrel Banks and Sandy Wynns in favour of Seven Souls and Ty Karim is:

Seven Souls - I Still Love You

Ty Karim - Lighten Up Baby

Major Lance - You Don't Want me No More

Hank Jacobs - Elijah Rocking With Soul

Some good shouts made for Eddie Parker (I'm Gone), Carla Thomas, and Salvadors .... anyone want to say who they should replace?? Or anyone else want to veto them as being tracks they don't love!?

Peter

Social source share

Can I just add that we've done this exact thread before, trying to find just ONE record that everyone could agree on was a uniting Northern Soul record, it went on for about 5 pages and I still can't remember what actually won it..

Must have been a really memorable record then Pete!!! lol

Actually we're trying to find 11 records - 5 male leads, 5 female leads and 1 instrumental - which are uptempo and soulful.

Not necessarily THE BEST records in one soulies opinion, but tracks which it is thought EVERY 'type' of northern fan loves (dancers, connoisseurs, collectors etc.).

Lots of names being thrown into the ring, but not much in the way of reasoning why they should replace any one of the others.

So, the list as I think it stands, kicking out Darrel Banks and Sandy Wynns in favour of Seven Souls and Ty Karim is:

Seven Souls - I Still Love You

Ty Karim - Lighten Up Baby

Major Lance - You Don't Want me No More

Hank Jacobs - Elijah Rocking With Soul

Some good shouts made for Eddie Parker (I'm Gone), Carla Thomas, and Salvadors .... anyone want to say who they should replace?? Or anyone else want to veto them as being tracks they don't love!?

Peter

Peter,

Love them all, but think maybe Williams & Watson - Too Late ought to be there?

Alan

Social source share

Actually, having just thought about it, I think I'll have to veto the Carla Thomas track (wonderful though it is), because it doesn't fully satisfy me with my collector's hat on.

I think I'd always have to go with records which were imprinted into vinyl, and with a proper label on, prior to their popularity on the northern scene.

No offence meant to Horace's/Kent records - excellent stuff Ady!

Peter

Social source share

Peter,

Alan

Cheers Alan, .... But if you already love them all who would you kick out, and why?!? That's where the fun starts.

And does everyone else love Williams and Watson too .... ???

Peter

Social source share

Peter,

Alan

Cheers Alan, .... But if you already love them all who would you kick out, and why?!? That's where the fun starts.

And does everyone else love Williams and Watson too .... ???

Peter

Peter, this thread is a real headache-giver mate!!!! Maybe swap Hank Jacobs for Earl Wright-Thumb A Ride though. Going for the paracetamol now!

Alan

Social source share

Peter,

Alan

Classic Northern sound yes !, but would it unite all the different factions off the scene ?, NO !.....

Think you'll find alot of soulies not liking that track....... :yes:

Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

ok , i know its had its day but for me

TOBI LEGEND - TIME WILL PASS YOU BY

has to be up there with the best of them.....IMO

maybe one of the few records id never dream of selling

Social source share

Guest kelvinx

Heard "aint no mountain..." on Sunday afternoon at Whitby weekender and thought it sounded great but assumed it was a one off.However having heard it a few times since it has worn a bit thin for me.

Considering theres loads of underplayed motown it seems a bit dull to be hammering the chart stuff particularly at Northern venues...Thought that was what Motown nights were for.

Heard "aint no mountain..." on Sunday afternoon at Whitby weekender and thought it sounded great but assumed it was a one off.However having heard it a few times since it has worn a bit thin for me.

Considering theres loads of underplayed motown it seems a bit dull to be hammering the chart stuff particularly at Northern venues...Thought that was what Motown nights were for.

Sorry posted this in wrong thread by mistake! :yes:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I thought Epitome of Sound - You Don't Love Me was pretty much the one record that everyone agreed er.. 'epitomised' Northern Soul? I seem to remember it won some kind of vote... :yes:

M.

Social source share

How the hell can you compare Frank Wilson to Wigan's Ovation ? , & seeing as it did not appear on the scene untill 1978, Baggies & Vests were long forgotten anyway !!

Comments like this usually come from youngsters who are just sore that they missed these times & so try to make a headline by rubbishing them, is that the case with you ??

Although i probably would not play it out,or want to hear it played, by choice now,as it needs resting for a while, it certainly does not deserve to be ridiculed in this daft way, so come on Trevski, keep it real !!

Edited by B-side-B
Social source share

Guest 50box

Peter

I hate the salvadors, would go with Epitomy of Sound. Does anyone dislike Delegates of Soul?

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

10 of all my time fav are

1. Jackie Wilson - Open The Door To Your Heart

2. Sam Cooke - Sugar Dumpling

3. Jimmy Ruffin - He Who Picks a Rose

4. Jimmy James - A Man Like Me

5. Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor

6. Millie Jackson - My Man is a Sweet Man

7. Toni Basil - Breakaway

8. Beverly Ann - He's Comin Home

9. Fascinations - Girls Are Out to Get You

10. Candi Staton - Now You Gotta The Upper Hand

Social source share

You're right Pete. There never was a clear winner. I was trying to find just one track that unites the whole scene, but it was impossible.

Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

Impressions "Youve been cheatin'".......my number 1 all time........perfect northern soul...... :wicked::thumbsup:
Magic choice. And those criticising the wish to include Frank Wilson, I know nowt, but it screams of people taking it too seriously doesn't it?

Sure it's not to everyone's taste but its popularity and renown must get it on the type of list outlined by the original poster? As a unifying sound it ticks lots of boxes, surely.

Social source share

You're right Pete. There never was a clear winner. I was trying to find just one track that unites the whole scene, but it was impossible.

==========

And that one had about 300 posts. Thinking about it now, we probably could never discover one record to unite us, because the scene itself isn't united. Reading through the various subsequent threads it becomes clear we can't even agree on what the term northern soul actually means. If you put up a thread saying, lets say 'northern soul' encompasses everything currently played someone would say NO. :thumbsup: Think that's one of the reasons why we'll never find a record that unites us :wicked:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

==========

:D Think that's one of the reasons why we'll never find a record that unites us :yes:

Sounds a bit like the Lord of the Rings.

Three records for the oldies fans, five records for the newies fans, 572 records for the modern and crossover fans, two records for the cowboy washboard clippedy clop RnB fans and one record to bind them all.

C'mon Bilbo Baggins, lets burn them in the volcano under the Wigan Casin site before Saruman of Acton by Ealing joins forces with the Kev the Dark Lord.

Sorry, I was drinking at lunchtime. :yes:

Edited by Stuart T
Social source share

Guest claude rains

==========

And that one had about 300 posts. Thinking about it now, we probably could never discover one record to unite us, because the scene itself isn't united. Reading through the various subsequent threads it becomes clear we can't even agree on what the term northern soul actually means. If you put up a thread saying, lets say 'northern soul' encompasses everything currently played someone would say NO. :D Think that's one of the reasons why we'll never find a record that unites us :yes:

The scene itself has such a wide spectrum of sounds that to define it by a record would be impossible.

I just wish there were more venues in london running a more open progressive policy with cross over and modern treated equally as credible.

Ah well, one can only hope..

:yes:

Social source share

Great call on the Seven Souls Simsy!

I think it would be a travesty if we didn't include Frank Wilson as well.

Im sorry but i disagree Ive got totally sick of hearing this tune above all others in the last few years

I don't even dance to it anymore :yes:

I'm currently enjoying a revival of keep on keepin on by nolan porter

It keeps gettin plays here in footsieland

where the blokes still wear the vests and baggies and the ladies wear full circle skirts!! :D

Yes we know what you say about us midlands folk :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!