This Is The Northern Soul We All Love?

Guest Dan

You're right Pete. There never was a clear winner. I was trying to find just one track that unites the whole scene, but it was impossible.

there is a way colin, but it would be horrendously complicated.

everyone gives their all time top 10, 10 points for number one, nine for two and so on...then you add them up at the end.

but people's top tens keep changing so by the time you'd added up the points and gone through about four recounts, with a load of wigan dinosaurs (note: deliberately controversial joke) spoiling their ballots or demanding right track be installed at no1 against all the evidence it would all be wrong. so, er, you're right. it's impossible.

also, no disrespect to peter (or yourself for your earlier thread), good thread and all that, but why would you want to unite the northern soul scene? even if you could (and you couldn't), it's the rows about records which make it fun, i say. dave carr gave me the biggest black eye i've ever had together with a split cheek in an argument about lou pride once (over whether it was 'i wrote my baby special d' as i said or 'i rode my baby specialty' as he claimed. never found out who was right. he didn't mean to do it, but either way you can't have those arguments on the modern jazz scene, i'll be bound :yes: ).

Social source share

• Replies 86
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest vinylvixen

Willie Hutch - Love Runs Out/ Replace: Bobby Hutton - Lend a Hand

Sandi Sheldon - You're Gonna Make Me Love You/ Replace: Yvonne Baker - You didn't say a word

Darrell Banks - Our Love Is In The Pocket/ Replace: Open the door to your heart

Sandy Wynns - The Touch Of Venus/ Replace: Lorraine Chandler - Tell Me You're mine

Al Williams - I Am Nothing/ Replace: Paris - Sleepless Nights

Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind Of Lady/ Replace: Ruby Andrews - Better

Impressions - You've Been Cheating/ Replace: Superlatives - I still love you

Linda Jones - Just Can't Live My Life - STAYS PUT - NEVER EVER GETS KICKED OFF.... :D

Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More/ Replace: Sam Fletcher - I'd think it over

Eula Cooper - Let Our Love Grow Higher/ Replace: Dells - Make Sure

And just for good measure, how about an instrumental:

Hank Jacobs - Elijah Rockin' With Soul/ Replace: Hold On Help is on It's Way - G Davis & R Tyler

Am I doing this right...........probably not :D Anyway, that's my ha'pence worth. Jo

Sandi Sheldon - You're Gonna Make Me Love You/ Replace: Yvonne Baker - You didn't say a word

Sandy Wynns - The Touch Of Venus/ Replace: Lorraine Chandler - Tell Me You're mine

Linda Jones - Just Can't Live My Life - STAYS PUT - NEVER EVER GETS KICKED OFF.... :yes:

Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More/ Replace: Sam Fletcher - I'd think it over

Hank Jacobs - Elijah Rockin' With Soul/ Replace: Hold On Help is on It's Way - G Davis & R Tyler

Am I doing this right...........probably not :D Anyway, that's my ha'pence worth. Jo

Oops...just spotted a mistake...Eula Cooper became a male vocal :yes: ok, i'll replace her with...Marie Knight, That's no way to treat a girl :yes: Jo

Social source share

How the hell can you compare Frank Wilson to Wigan's Ovation ? , & seeing as it did not appear on the scene untill 1978, Baggies & Vests were long forgotten anyway !!

Comments like this usually come from youngsters who are just sore that they missed these times & so try to make a headline by rubbishing them, is that the case with you ??

Although i probably would not play it out,or want to hear it played, by choice now,as it needs resting for a while, it certainly does not deserve to be ridiculed in this daft way, so come on Trevski, keep it real !!

Baggies were very much still around in '78. The rest of your post makes perfect sense, Frank Wilson is a superb record that sums up the eneviatble outcome for such fantastic tracks once they are booted, reissued, put on CD's and adopted and played out by people who do not own originals. They become a victim of their own class and get played to death until we'd happily not hear them for the next 10 years.

Social source share

also, no disrespect to peter (or yourself for your earlier thread), good thread and all that, but why would you want to unite the northern soul scene? even if you could (and you couldn't), it's the rows about records which make it fun, i say. dave carr gave me the biggest black eye i've ever had together with a split cheek in an argument about lou pride once (over whether it was 'i wrote my baby special d' as i said or 'i rode my baby specialty' as he claimed. never found out who was right. he didn't mean to do it, but either way you can't have those arguments on the modern jazz scene, i'll be bound :yes: ).

Social source share

Guest Dan

I asked Lou Pride about this line and he confirmed it's 'I wrote my baby Special D (elivery)'

Also, the very last bit is 'I'll be on the first black smoke in the morning, baby' which he ad - libed on the recording.

brilliant simon thanks for that.

i always knew i was right :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

this week I are mostly be loving Lillie bryant - Meet me half way, and the Ivories - Please Stay.

Mind you I love them most weeks. It's just this week they are having an upturn in smashingness.

Social source share

Baggies were very much still around in '78. The rest of your post makes perfect sense, Frank Wilson is a superb record that sums up the eneviatble outcome for such fantastic tracks once they are booted, reissued, put on CD's and adopted and played out by people who do not own originals. They become a victim of their own class and get played to death until we'd happily not hear them for the next 10 years.

They were only just still around Ged, they were now evolving into what we used to call 'Zoot's', Baggie at the top narrow at the bottom. Well for trendy people anyway :wicked:

Still don't see why just because a record is made available for more people to enjoy that it has to then be deemed as crap & loathsome ? It is the one part of the scene that i have never been able to get my head round ! To me, if a record is great to listen to it does not matter what format it's on or how rare it is, that's just for collectors. Let's face it, if we had to rely on just original copies, hardly enyone would of heard 'Do I Love You' , I bet Frank Wilson would have been much happier though :thumbsup:

Edited by B-side-B
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

this week I are mostly be loving Lillie bryant - Meet me half way, and the Ivories - Please Stay.

Mind you I love them most weeks. It's just this week they are having an upturn in smashingness.

Bugger...........I forgot about the Ivories blush.gif .......I may have to go and shunt something off my list :yes: But then again, I forgot about the Sparkels......and billions of other gorgeous things. Why is life so cruel :D I can't whittle the list down........ :P Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest Trevski

1/How the hell can you compare Frank Wilson to Wigan's Ovation ? , & seeing as it did not appear on the scene untill 1978, Baggies & Vests were long forgotten anyway !!

2/ Comments like this usually come from youngsters who are just sore that they missed these times & so try to make a headline by rubbishing them, is that the case with you ??

3/ Although i probably would not play it out,or want to hear it played, by choice now,as it needs resting for a while, it certainly does not deserve to be ridiculed in this daft way, so come on Trevski, keep it real !!

1/ Not comparing it on a music basis, but on a loathsome, worst aspect of Northen Soul basis, which for me, IMVHO, it has become. As for baggies etc, I meant those that still persist in wearing baggies and vests, circle skirts now, in the PRESENT! (check Mandy's earlier post to see this still goes on!)

I can remember, when I was 17/18 laughing at sad old 'Teds' in their 40's, in drape jackets etc. Now its the clowns in their baggies and vests etc, living for past youth, long gone, that are the sad old Teds of today.

2/ Youngster, I wish! I have a Wigan membership card numbered 469, so I was there from the start of Wigan, and before!

3/Keep it real?? Ok so as someone said earlier, "Without the past there would be no future" True, but we can't live in the past, the future is uncertain, at best, so we have the present, and in the present, I don't want to hear tired oldies that are OMHO, not that good. The opening of FW is excellent, the rest, from when he starts singing, is average. Not ridiculing it, just making a point that it's become a 'symbol of Northern Soul" to some, but to others it stands for backward thinking past dwellers. Keep it real, I am, by the original ethos of Northern Soul that I grew up with, keep searching for that new record you ain't heard yet, because thats what keeps the scene moving forward, look to the future, not the past. FW was a good record In it's day, but it's day is long gone and there are hundreds of better ones dicovered since, and I hope, will be discovered in the future.I think 35yrs on the scene, and still looking forward is keeping it real enough!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest espo

1/ I meant those that still persist in wearing baggies and vests, circle skirts etc, now, in the PRESENT!

I can remember, when I was 17/18 laughing at sad old 'Teds' in there 40's, in there drape jackets etc. Now its the clowns in their baggies and vests etc, living for past youth, long gone, that are the sad old Teds of today.

2/ Youngster, I wish! I have a Wigan membership card numbered 469, so I was there from the start of Wigan, and before!

3/Keep it real?? Ok so as someone said earlier, "Without the past there would be no future" True, but we can't live in the past, the future is uncertain, at best, so we have the present, and in the present, I don't want to hear tired oldies that are OMHO, not that good. The opening of FW is excellent, the rest, from when he starts singing, is average. Not ridiculing it, just making a point that it's become a 'symbol of Northern Soul" to some, but to others it stands for backward thinking past dwellers. Keep it real, I am, by the original ethos of Northern Soul that I grew up with, keep searching for that new record you ain't heard yet, because thats what keeps the scene moving forward, look to the future, not the past. FW was a good record In it's day, but it's day is long goneand there are hundreds of better ones dicovered since, and I hope, will be discovered in the future.I think 35yrs on the scene, and still looking forward is keeping it real enough!

Wish i,d said that-----spot on
Social source share

Guest Baz

Right i'll give it a shot with

Darrell banks - Open the door to your heart, yes its an oldie but it has all the credentials for a record that could unit the split between the 'revival' scene and the current northern scene, by ways of which it has to be one of the all time great detroit tunes and its oh so soulful blush.gif

Social source share

Right i'll give it a shot with

Darrell banks - Open the door to your heart, yes its an oldie but it has all the credentials for a record that could unit the split between the 'revival' scene and the current northern scene, by ways of which it has to be one of the all time great detroit tunes and its oh so soulful blush.gif

Good call Baz, playing this today. Agree.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Dobie Gray - Out on The Floor to me is ultimate tune, it's a sort of title that you would use for a Northern soul film or radio show etc and as soon as you see it you know it's Northern soul. But how i would love Jackie Wilson - Open The Door To Your Heart to win but that ain't possible as most people prefer Darrel Banks original i think Jackie Wilson version is under-rated, can't believe it's not big.

Social source share

Guest Baz

Dobie Gray - Out on The Floor to me is ultimate tune, it's a sort of title that you would use for a Northern soul film or radio show etc and as soon as you see it you know it's Northern soul.

Your havin' a bubble right? thumbsup.gif

Dobie Gray is not northern soul IMO, represents the retro scene, which aint northern :yes:

Social source share

1/ Not comparing it on a music basis, but on a loathsome, worst aspect of Northen Soul basis, which for me, IMVHO, it has become. As for baggies etc, I meant those that still persist in wearing baggies and vests, circle skirts now, in the PRESENT! (check Mandy's earlier post to see this still goes on!)

I can remember, when I was 17/18 laughing at sad old 'Teds' in their 40's, in drape jackets etc. Now its the clowns in their baggies and vests etc, living for past youth, long gone, that are the sad old Teds of today.

3/Keep it real?? Ok so as someone said earlier, "Without the past there would be no future" True, but we can't live in the past, the future is uncertain, at best, so we have the present, and in the present, I don't want to hear tired oldies that are OMHO, not that good. The opening of FW is excellent, the rest, from when he starts singing, is average. Not ridiculing it, just making a point that it's become a 'symbol of Northern Soul" to some, but to others it stands for backward thinking past dwellers. Keep it real, I am, by the original ethos of Northern Soul that I grew up with, keep searching for that new record you ain't heard yet, because thats what keeps the scene moving forward, look to the future, not the past. FW was a good record In it's day, but it's day is long gone and there are hundreds of better ones dicovered since, and I hope, will be discovered in the future.I think 35yrs on the scene, and still looking forward is keeping it real enough!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Now you're just saying that! Tell me you don't like the Seven Souls???

I dont like it Ian.

Getting awfully close to being overplayed in the Epitome of Sound/The Professionals proportions.

I find it dull, lacking in emotion and frankly boring.

I wonder if it was on a different label whether it would have got past the 'played a couple of times and forgotten about' stage.

Social source share

Sorry what happened to the bottom posting??

Anyways

I was going to point out that altho folks still wear spencers and bowling shirts etc etc

Don't mean theyre stuck in tha past surely?

It means they wear comfy clobber to dance in....... PS they get more photos taken of them these days :yes:

Its like a the national dress we know what it looks like but no-one wears it really do they?

Its depicting what we wore and I believe that youngsters should still see where our roots came from

I still love to see Mods dressed up

PS I still have my 22 inch waist spencer skirt but my waist is 28 now !!!

Its like an old photo or teddy I cant bear to part with

Cheers Mand :yes:

Social source share

I dont like it Ian.

Getting awfully close to being overplayed in the Epitome of Sound/The Professionals proportions.

I find it dull, lacking in emotion and frankly boring.

I wonder if it was on a different label whether it would have got past the 'played a couple of times and forgotten about' stage.

It is a classic though, they're all done to death in fairness.

Social source share

I can see where you are coming from in most of what you say Trevski & respect your views. I myself still buy piles of shit in the hope that one elusive monster that no one else has heard is in there (even though i know it never will be), that is still somthing that i enjoy, & i am always looking for tunes i havn't heard, be they old or new. But i still have a love for records i have listened to in the past & don't just hate them because i have heard them many times or that they are not rare.

You say you never liked 'Do I Love You', & if that's the case, that's a fair enough point, there are classics that i never really liked that others did, ' Freddie Chevez' for one. But i still would not go as far as to say it represents everything old & loathsome about NS just because it became popular. & that was my gripe really, i still don't see how you can put it in the same league as 'Wigan's Ovation' etc ? Now that really did portray the worse aspects, but let's face it it was nowhere near the real deal anyway, yet the 'Frank Wilson' track met more or less every aspect of a NS classic & was massive. Like i said, yes it is better rested now, but to say it represents everything bad about NS is in my opinion still not really deserved , though i respect your right to think it.

Just hope it isn't a desperate attempt to hang on to being young hip & trendy Trevski ? :yes:

P.s.

While i am in a griping mood, whoever it was who just copied Trevski's post & said "Wish i had said that, na na ne na na"

WHAT'S THE BLOODY POINT ! at least say why you agree or something, what a waste of bandwidth !! humph !

P.s P.s

Do some people really still wear baggies & vests ??

P.s P.s P.s

There's nothing wrong with Full Circle Skirts ! as long as they wear stockings & suspenders & do plenty of twirls :yes:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

There's nothing wrong with Full Circle Skirts ! as long as they wear stockings & suspenders & do plenty of twirls :yes:

:D:( Except the legs don't belong to nubile 17yr olds anymore!! :yes:

Just hope it isn't a desperate attempt to hang on to being young hip & trendy Trevski ?

Not desperate mate, always been hip & trendy, and youthfulness is a state of mind! :yes:

Seriously tho' I recon the Del-Larks "Job opening" would be a far better choice for a universaly accepted track. Can't think of a better oldie that is still loved by all. Fantastic swirling intro and that bubbling bass line is superb. Has all the qualities needed for a perfect NS tune, never tire of it. Infinatly superior to FW :D

(Stands back and waits to be shot down in flames :( )

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

:D:D Except the legs don't belong to nubile 17yr olds anymore!! :lol:

Not desperate mate, always been hip & trendy, and youthfulness is a state of mind! :D

Seriously tho' I recon the Del-Larks "Job opening" would be a far better choice for a universaly accepted track. Can't think of a better oldie that is still loved by all. Fantastic swirling intro and that bubbling bass line is superb. Has all the qualities needed for a perfect NS tune, never tire of it. Infinatly superior to FW :D

(Stands back and waits to be shot down in flames :D )

Good call Trev on the Del- Larks.Was thinking allong those lines myself having just seen them live.I just struggle to come to terms with the line of thought On some of the other posters that just because a record is a well liked and maybe overplayed oldie it becomes a bad record. No criticism of your good self intended.java script:emoticon(

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Good call Trev on the Del- Larks.Was thinking allong those lines myself having just seen them live.I just struggle to come to terms with the line of thought On some of the other posters that just because a record is a well liked and maybe overplayed oldie it becomes a bad record. No criticism of your good self intended.java script:emoticon(

Don't think they neccessarily become a 'bad' record, Not my point, really, maybe I didn't make it too clear.

It's not the record itself that becomes bad, due to popularity and overplays, but what it comes to represent i.e. same old things trotted out time and time again, simply because they are popular and sure to get dancefloor reaction, playing safe, regression not progression. OK, I know people want to hear these things, as dancefloor reaction shows, but they might want to hear other stuff just as much if they were exposed to it a bit more. :lol:

Social source share

vinylvixen

May 2 2006, 08:12 PM

Linda Jones - Just Can't Live My Life - STAYS PUT - NEVER EVER GETS KICKED OFF....

Am I doing this right...........probably not Anyway, that's my ha'pence worth. Jo

Hi Jo,

. . . and yes, thanks for being one of the few people to actually try to go along with the idea and spirit of the thread.

One question though: with respect to the records you've kicked out, do you actually not think they're great? Or do you just prefer the ones you've selected to replace them?

If you still love the first lot, then (against the odds!!) I'll have to start drawing up a longer list!

If you really don't care for those records (Eula Cooper, Willie Hutch, Dee Dee Sharp ... ) please tell us why!?

Peter

PS - Let's try to keep it FUN folks! And remember, we are NOT (as many people seem believe!?!) trying to:

a) Find just ONE record which defines northern soul (apparently been done on a previous thread), or

cool.gif List each person's top 10 (or 11, or however many ...).

Social source share

:lol::D Except the legs don't belong to nubile 17yr olds anymore!! :D

Not desperate mate, always been hip & trendy, and youthfulness is a state of mind! :D

Seriously tho' I recon the Del-Larks "Job opening" would be a far better choice for a universaly accepted track. Can't think of a better oldie that is still loved by all. Fantastic swirling intro and that bubbling bass line is superb. Has all the qualities needed for a perfect NS tune, never tire of it. Infinatly superior to FW :P

(Stands back and waits to be shot down in flames :D )

Can't disagree with the 'Del Larks' Trev :D , I know it's not the purpose of this thread, but perhaps we have stumbled on the 'One Record To Bind Them & In The Darkness Find Them' !! or was it the other way round :D

:D Dangerous thing to say about the legs mate ! God help you at your next venture out, they will be after your beer gut in droves :D

Edited by B-side-B
Social source share

Don't think they neccessarily become a 'bad' record, Not my point, really, maybe I didn't make it too clear.

It's not the record itself that becomes bad, due to popularity and overplays, but what it comes to represent i.e. same old things trotted out time and time again, simply because they are popular and sure to get dancefloor reaction, playing safe, regression not progression. OK, I know people want to hear these things, as dancefloor reaction shows, but they might want to hear other stuff just as much if they were exposed to it a bit more. :lol:

No, FW hasn't become a bad record. Its a decent record that's been abused.

It's just become the Hi Ho Silver Lining of Norman Soul.

Even though there's so few copies, hundreds of people play it.

They play it on Sunday Afternoons at Weekenders, quietening the record during the chorus so that people in baggy clothes can sing along with a nostalgic tear in their eye.

They play it, in an ironic way, in student bars, along with the snake.

They play it on karaoke machines.

I don't want to hear it again for a very long time.

It's still better than the Seven Souls though.... that is just a bad record.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

:lol: Dangerous thing to say about the legs mate ! God help you at your next venture out, they will be after your beer gut in droves :(

Beer gut?? had a 30" waist since I was 18, still got it!! (the hair is a different matter :lol: )

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Its depicting what we wore and I believe that youngsters should still see where our roots came from

What like a northern soul museum? I don't think northern soul teddy boys would really encourage youngsters much (in fact by youngsters I imagine that you probably mean people already old enough to own a house, be married and have children). Anyhow, what youngsters? I was at a club recently and figured there were perhaps 5 people younger than me there, and I'm 37. I only go to northern soul clubs because it makes me feel good to be one of the younger people. :(

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well most of the ones i go to are full of old people, but i swear we get young ones in who don't care they come and have a drink or 2 hear a song or 2 sometimes sing if they know it but so soon after they are off somewhere else. No matter about the legs as someone said, if they are in there mid 30's to late 40's they can't be that bad. They must still look nice for there age. Just worried if they are over 60

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!