Secret Record Cleaner For Acetates

Pete S

I was watching this program on Sky Arts the other night about a guy who collects radio broadcast transcription discs from the 30's onwards, his collection are all on 'soft wax' in other words, acetates, anyway he showed a few examples, all were covered in mould, so he put one on the deck then explained that he used a secret cleaner for acetates only, sprayed this stuff on and played it, and it cleaned it up nicely while playing. The secret cleaner was actually Windowlene. So it looks like that is a safe cleaner for acetates, but he said it couldn't be used on ordinary vinyl.

Nothing earth shattering here but I just found it interesting thats all, anyone used windowlene for cleaning records?

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks for the tip. Is "windowlene" (not available in the US) pretty much equivalent to anything labeled "glass cleaner" or is it special? Also, how is it applied / taken off? I assume the dude just sprays it on. Does he use a VPI to scrub it and vacuum it off or can you use a cloth, etc? I know people who use glass cleaner to clean regular vinyl and styrene.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert