Carvers - Getting One Cut

Hi everyone

Two topics it would be good to get some feedback on please:

1) How does one go about getting a carver cut? For instance, where can you get this done; can you get one done from a CD or MP3; how many copies do you need to do (can you get just the one); how much does it cost?

2) Are there any 'ethical' issues relating to carvers?

Thank you

Cheers :thumbsup:

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Not sure if vinyl carvers are still in operation ?

But the service required you to either send a non returnable cd or use a upload facility for soundfiles .

Two sides of a 45 ,single disc about £20 ..label options ,square edge or thin edge options .

Options adding to the price .

I noticed Lee Jeffries of rarenorthernsoul offering a similar service just recently ?

Social source share

Timmion website suggests not to bother putting an MP3 on an acetate as the file is compressed.

If I only have an MP3 and the track is not on CD do I have any options to convert the MP3 to another format that kind of 'uncompresses' it?

Sorry - I don't really k now what I'm talking about here :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Timmion website suggests not to bother putting an MP3 on an acetate as the file is compressed.

If I only have an MP3 and the track is not on CD do I have any options to convert the MP3 to another format that kind of 'uncompresses' it?

Sorry - I don't really k now what I'm talking about here :lol:

Cheers

Richard

you can change the mp3 to a wma or whatever you want .. but the sound will still be the same compressed quality of the original mp3 ... just in another format ..

pete

Edited by casper
Social source share

Thanks mate but I only have it as an MP3 - is the compression process reversible to uncompress it - or am I just stuck with it?

Cheers

Richard

It isn't reversible . But it depends what your compression rating is as most of what is removed up to a certain point is in audible to the average human ear anyway and I doubt anyone would be able to say "hang on that's compressed"!

Also mp3 is one of the older forms of compression and newer technology compressed formats such as AAC the quality is better than an mp3. I

If you right click on the audio file it should tell you what it has been compressed to, 7:1, 14:1 etc. The higher the number the more that is taken out when compressed.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately I don't think the compression process is reversible. As has been said above, you can change the format of the file to a lossless/uncompressed format such as WAV but the file will remain compressed as this is how it was originally created.

Danny

Social source share

Actually - does anyone know if they can edit a track.

The recording I'm thinking of has talking in the studio at the start and ends a little abruptly.

Would they be able to edit off the talking at the start and then do a nice fade out over the abrupt ending?

If so I could have the full recording on one side and the edited version on the other :g:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Yes, you can edit the track very easily, there are lots of programs out there to do that.

No, you can't "reverse" a compressed file, & if you convert it to WMA for instance, then the sound quality will diminish still further. Anything from 320kbps upwards is normally considered high quality. 192kbps is acceptable, anything below this and the sound quality is audilbly poor.

Why would anyone get a carver done anyway? Surely you are then getting an illegal copy made to then play it in a format that isn't original, a double whammy.

Social source share

Actually - does anyone know if they can edit a track.

The recording I'm thinking of has talking in the studio at the start and ends a little abruptly.

Would they be able to edit off the talking at the start and then do a nice fade out over the abrupt ending?

If so I could have the full recording on one side and the edited version on the other :g:

Cheers

Richard

I will have a listen later to the track Richard and ill cut the studio talk off and fade out for you if you can't get sorted. Any program should be able to do this, audacity for instance.

Social source share

I will have a listen later to the track Richard and ill cut the studio talk off and fade out for you if you can't get sorted. Any program should be able to do this, audacity for instance.

That would be brilliant Chalky - thank you

I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to editing programmes

Thanks very much :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!