Interesting Sounding Documentary "searching For Sugarman"

Pete S

Great movie. :thumbsup: Well worth catching. Misses out on a quite a big part of his real history (for example I don't think that his 45 on Impact is even mentioned), so a bit flawed from a "documentary" point of view, but still a very nice piece of work.

I love Rodriguez material, both of his LP's on Sussex are very good, especially the second one ("Coming From Reality").

It's a swedish guy that directed the movie so it has been getting lots of exposure here in Sweden. Quite amazing that it's been nominated for an Oscar, and even more amazing that Rodriguez career has gone, if not from 0, then from 5 to 100 in a couple of months. :thumbsup: The attention his music is getting is well deserved and long overdue.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Saw it on the plane coming back from the States, a couple of months ago.

Best movie I've seen in a long while. Totally uplifting.

Anyone into real music is gonna love it. It's the story of Betty Lavette, Sam Dees, Richard Caiton, Jesse James, Darrow Fletcher, Lorraine Chandler, Mary Love and so many others, worshipped abroad yet unsung at home!

I've watched it 4 times and still found it totally enthralling.

And agree with Sebastian, the albums 'Cold Fact' (recorded at Tera Shirma in Detroit with Dennis Coffey and Mike Theodore) and 'Coming From Reality' are superb.

Whatever you do, don't miss this. And since Christmas, now available on UK DVD https://www.amazon.co.uk/Searching-For-Sugar-Man-DVD/dp/B008CP2E7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358599774&sr=8-1

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Not seen it yet but saw the furore in the music press over his resurrection.

I believe he was found in New York and was a construction worker - and when taken back to South Africa in '98 to perform was amazed at the crowd knowing his songs word for word and better than him(remind you of anything?).

It seems to be a theme with film makers of late to find the stories behind the unsung hero.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Not seen it yet but saw the furore in the music press over his resurrection.

I believe he was found in New York and was a construction worker - and when taken back to South Africa in '98 to perform was amazed at the crowd knowing his songs word for word and better than him(remind you of anything?).

It seems to be a theme with film makers of late to find the stories behind the unsung hero.

Hi Barry

Detroit, he lived there all his life. That's also where all the U.S. stuff was filmed, the club referred to in the film is down near the old Ford Rouge River Plant

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!