Rufus Lumley Minneapolis Minnesota...bootleg..?

Vin

Hi all ,hope someone can shed a bit of light on this

I came across a record on E-Baay.....

.Ray Richards..Everywhere I Go / Minneapolis Minnesota on Black Security Label.

....I clicked on the Minneapolis soundfile to hear..Rufus Lumleys voice belting out albeit with some added tambourine and girly vocals .( So technically a different issue).The other side I had never heard before..and I wouldnt give you two bob for it.

I contacted the seller asking was this an original issue as I was led to believe that the original version was issued on Afford...he replied that he was not aware of a re-issue and the only two copies he had seen were this one and another owned by a local DJ who plays it,

He then mailed me back and told me that his source had informed him that they had figured out that the Afford issues were re-issue bootlegs and it was definitely originally pressed on Security...but still rare as only a limited amount were pressed on Afford and only ten pressed on Security.he said he will post a picture of the Minneapolis side on Sun/Mon..Oh and it NOT cheap

im not to hot on putting links on pages so ive typed out the E-baay address

RAY RICHARDS minneap'lis minnesota / everywhere i go 7" Northern Soul R&B Rocker #310561056771

His store is Shuga records..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well, I would say that Shuga is legendary for enormous prices that bear no relation to the real world, and a lot of his item descriptions are extremely dubious.

Personally, I wouldn't take anything he says as accurate unless it can be backed up elsewhere!

Also, my copy of the Afford release came from a box that hadn't been touched for at least 15 years - along with Cookin' Bag, Cheryl Johnson, Al Glover, and a lot of other rare and obscure 45s, so if it is a bootleg, it's an old one...

Edited by john s
Social source share

This is taken from a recent auction for the Afford issue from a seller in Detroit....

"It doesn't get any more mint than this....this Rufus Lumley 45 norhtern soul record was just found sitting inside the actual box from Afford records-which was actually Carla records here in Detroit. I know this because right next to it with an almost identical label was a Carla record box with similar graphics.

The box is not included, but is pictured here for reference...it also contains a date of April 5, 1965...either the recording date, or more likely the pressing date. There was also a Factory Inspection Slip in the box, with te date 4/6 and the Press Operator ID and Inspector ID. "

"I'm standing" is 1966, isn't it? Which would seem to imply that this pre-dates "I'm standing".

No idea if that makes sense about Afford/Carla...?

The runouts on my copy of 'Minneap'lis' have:

'Minneap'lis' : (stamped) 45 10441 5 (opposite) I

'Everywhere I go' : (stamped) 45 10442 4 (opposite) I

Does that sound right for a Carla 45?

Edited by john s
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!