Rare Soul Deejay Butch 1991 Yarmouth

Wiggyflat

Great stuff!

Got a tape of Butch DJing at Droylsden somewhere. Always makes me laugh, he says "throw an oldie in every now and then ... only now and then though" :lol:

I have another where he says....."This is about as R 'n' B as I get" :)..... I love D.J banter, you got to listen hard to catch it though - For years I couldn't understand a word any of them said, but thought that in itself was cool :)

All the best,

Len :)

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I was there andy, I'm are there were loads of us up to all sorts of nonsense!!

Andy

in fact maybe I wasn't in the room, as Colin seems to be looking for me early in the show???

Oh f*ck, maybe I was - shit I just don't remember that far back

Was probably annoying someone somewhere or maybe at the bar?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Andy

in fact maybe I wasn't in the room, as Colin seems to be looking for me early in the show???

Oh f*ck, maybe I was - shit I just don't remember that far back

Was probably annoying someone somewhere or maybe at the bar?

Jim am almost certain you and Jock arrived with Jim Tennent and Kerso or JG....the room was packed

Social source share

OK it's confirmed - I was in the room, but god knows in what kind of mess!

Thanks for the confirmation Andy!

Personally, I blame Kerso.

Thanks for posting these Wiggyflat, brightened up my Sunday night.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

I have another where he says....."This is about as R 'n' B as I get" :)..... I love D.J banter, you got to listen hard to catch it though - For years I couldn't understand a word any of them said, but thought that in itself was cool :)

All the best,

Len :)

Usually followed by Dr True love in those days Len as I recall

Social source share

Brilliant tape...hope there is more, was a different world back then to now, still exciting with many characters, brilliant music & new discoveries, inovative DJ's with bollox....a million miles away from the purile nostalgia trip of today...I can just hear some of the derogatory comments now....

Need to hear more of this stuff....BTW Shute re: Colin Law....'kin great DJ as were many of the Scottish lads back then (& now).

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Mike Jemison on the tape was a big play at Cleethorpes, probably Poke. RS MIM Cover up was a different MJ track. I have it at home & on the lp I think, but title escapes now....The MJ on the tape is brilliant....

Best Russ

Which one MJ track is on the tape Russ?

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

The sad thing is 90% of the scene have never and will never get chance to listen to tracks like these......

Their loss.

That's what I was thInking too, and you're right it Is their loss indeed ! It's crazy that the nostalgia brigade would consider butchs set too funky / modern / upfront or whatever if they heard it now and it's 21 years old ffs !!

Social source share

A little before my time I know, but when these guyz were at their 'prime', Butch, Keb, Guy Hennigan, Colin Law, Kitch, Gilly et al, they really were good at what they did - they knew their stuff didn't they? Chr*st, they turned over records so fast that all these years later, people are only just picking up on them - That is what I call ahead of their time :yes:

30 years later, and I'm D.Jing with their scraps at a soul night near you! :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - I also think Jocko has a place on that list somewhere! :thumbup:

P.p.s - Not forgetting Rob Marriot, whom I've never met but am still hunting and D.Jing with tunz off his tapes from the 80's :yes:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I was there andy, I'm are there were loads of us up to all sorts of nonsense!!

I was in there at some point too! definitely while Butch was on, though it's a bit hazy!

Ah just heard, was giving Butch some instructions on how to stop mike feeding back :yes: at the start of Camaro's!

Edited by Tony Smith
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember me and my girlfriend getting a lift from Greg Fays place by Danny Huff and Roly.He was living above a pub and his place was full of old trousers he had imported from the USA.Danny was selling mobile phones at the time he was ahead of the game there as i didnt get one until 94.....the new thing to have and he had an impressive company car....tis a pity he couldnt control it as at one point the dual carriageway went into a single lane and Danny was that busy jabbering with his neck turned to me in the back that he didnt notice the coach ...lights flashing coming towards us.It was a great weekend though.I have always been a tempo terrorist and i do like Colins set....but just not the stuff i would get off on dancefloor wise.Butchs set is great...ive had a few copies of the Mike Jemison and been after the Sammy Campbell for a while.Tony Troutman was played everywhere at the time esp at Modern Soul gigs.I should have taped Clarkies set but i was in the radio room at that point with him.It was different then as it was just flyers and buying Echoes....for one page! I used to rip those pages out and still have a pile of them...

Social source share

A little before my time I know, but when these guyz were at their 'prime', Butch, Keb, Guy Hennigan, Colin Law, Kitch, Gilly et al, they really were good at what they did - they knew their stuff didn't they? Chr*st, they turned over records so fast that all these years later, people are only just picking up on them - That is what I call ahead of their time :yes:

All the best,

P.p.s - Not forgetting Rob Marriot, whom I've never met but am still hunting and D.Jing with tunz off his tapes from the 80's :yes:

Robs collecting reggae etc last time i spoke to him,and frequenting venues playing it.

Social source share

The sad thing is 90% of the scene have never and will never get chance to listen to tracks like these......

Their loss.

They may not have listened to the tracks but can get the chance if they are prepared to travel to where Butch jocks (assuming we are just talking about his stuff).

That's the rub - to what extent are people prepared to put themselves out to to hear the best that the scene can offer.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All the best,

Len

yes dont forget Jock, and Rob Marriot (what a character) and Dean Anderson, Gaz Kellet, Dave Molloy, Ady Harly to name but a few

you are righ, if you listen to some of the records played then, some people are only just catching up with some of these records - and that was 20 odd years ago

great times and great music

jim

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They may not have listened to the tracks but can get the chance if they are prepared to travel to where Butch jocks (assuming we are just talking about his stuff).

That's the rub - to what extent are people prepared to put themselves out to to hear the best that the scene can offer.

Most wouldnt be bothered if it was put on a plate for em.

If these records were played at my local oldies nights I guarantee there would be a mass walk out and much wailing and gnashing of teeth :huh:

As has been said, its their loss

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If these records were played at my local oldies nights I guarantee there would be a mass walk out and much wailing and gnashing of teeth :huh:

Ooooo, yours gnash their teeth as well - That is a relief! :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Russ

i couldnt agree me with your comments - DJ's with bollocks and knowledge, and great people

although i have not been to a nighter in a long time, judging by what i read in SS, there are very few of these types of DJ's on the scene, and even less off the characters

i dont normally get nostalgic, and we must realise that things do change with time, but i really do hope this type of era/people/atmosphere comes back in some form so that some people may experience at least some of what i think were the absolute best days of the rare soul scene

I know many will think that their own youth was aleays the best, but these days in the late 80's / early 90's without doubt had THE best mixture of people/music/characters/atmosphere/fun etc that i have ever experienced and i am extremely lucky to have experienced it

Best

Jim

Spot on Jim! Hopefully we'll see some of that spirit at the Truesoul weekend later in the year :yes:

Social source share

Spot on Jim! Hopefully we'll see some of that spirit at the Truesoul weekend later in the year :yes:

Lets hope so Tony!

Len, add Tony Smith to that list from earlier - (was due to be on the line up for Allanton before i pulled the plug - sorry Tony)

great records, great taste and top bloke

You owe me a pint at Truesoul now Tony!!!LOL

best

Jim

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember me and my girlfriend getting a lift from Greg Fays place by Danny Huff and Roly.He was living above a pub and his place was full of old trousers he had imported from the USA.

If that was the pub near Paddington / Bayswater, then I believe Greg's parents ran it. Used to knock about with Greg and his brother Joe in the early '80s.

Social source share

Lets hope so Tony!

Len, add Tony Smith to that list from earlier - (was due to be on the line up for Allanton before i pulled the plug - sorry Tony)

great records, great taste and top bloke

You owe me a pint at Truesoul now Tony!!!LOL

best

Jim

lol - I was actually going to add...."and of course there's always Tony Smith lurking in the background" :shhh:......I didn't because I'm still moody with him, reason (s) being - eeeevery time I try to be 'cutting edge' Tony's got at least one copy and has (of course) had it years! - Just let me have my moment the once Tony! :lol:

Yeh, you are correct, Tony has his place, and I like the fact that not loads of folk would know this - Top fella.

All the best,

Len (I know my place) :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ive a boxfull of tapes most are unsorted...there are a few with prices next to them...ie sales tapes.I darent look at them.Tape swapping was massive wirh a thirst for new sounds.I never see anyone with 50 count record boxes mooching around now.There was only one lad at Stoke i saw last year...but a box of boots.Is it me or was everyone into records then...ie collecting selling trading.I suppose if you were there then you had made an effort as it was still underground and word of mouth...no films ....no Vogue catwalks.....no press.Got a few videos as well Bankhall Miners and Burnley...re Greg Fay it was him living above the pub.Hes doung alrihht working for Ridley Scott.Him and Danny were at the Dome alldayer early last year...i told him.Eamsy had a Chandlers and i ended up brokering a deal....once a record man always a record man.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its incredible that today's nostalgia crowd would walk off the floor to the likes of Mac Staten, Mello Souls, Diane Lewis (chance), Just Bros ( laugh) etc. All are utter, smash the gaff up Northern Soul. I'll never get my head around that crowd.

Social source share

I think to be fair, you would have to raise Rob Marriot and Dean into Len's first list of Guy, Keb, Colin etc as they were playing, virtually, nothing but new stuff and were digging and uncovering (or should that be covering) stuff daily with a fervour like Indiana Jones on his first episode, often from the states but also often closer to home, collectors with masses (Jim Wensorias treasure trove, matched only by the one eyed staffie called Little John Silver guarding them) and places like Black Grape, all now being of more interest as the taste for different things of differing styles grew like Topsy. No stone was left unturned. And noone should underestimate these guys visceral scheduling of new stuff, almost coercing the punters, as if waterboarded, into listening and confessing their sins for not having believed in the first instance.

Whilst I was miles behind Gaz, Dave, Tony S and Ady, and many more, I think we would all come under more the collectors banner and were digging through the plethora of boxes weekly and people like Dave M's long held collection, it cannot be underestimated how rich that time was for getting records instantly at nighters. I regularly bought between 10 and 20 at Stafford, mostly recommended by Dave M or Ady, and averaging between £10 and £20, stretching to £30 twice in my whole pre 1990 record buying career. So in some ways, whilst the internet makes it easier now, there were advantages to then too. Recommendations were generally found pretty quickly. And of course the tape swappers circuit. It was as fertile and up for being ravaged as Katy Price ever was. Dave M's and Gaz Kellet's first tapes were legendary for the quality, mostly available and cheap, although many are now 3 or 4 figure. Ady H and I worked our way through them like a crocodile in a kids tea party. The irony of then was guys like that were so willing to share knowledge, as were the top boys, that I actually think it hindered their djing career, as everyman and their dog who heard the tape were chasing their sounds.

I think two main people you can't forget for that time behind the scenes was Gilly, whose tapes were also legendary but much of it was (and is) unobtainable and as the man had almost perfect taste, this made his discoveries and recommendations perfect for the top DJ's. And Pete Lawson, I would go as far as to say he was our John Anderson. He probably didn't turn up the true rarities which were being snapped up by Andersons regular visitors Dobson, Whitmore etc who were still sneaking into Kings Lynn, in the back roads with big empty boxes to be filled. But he vociferously dug and searched and basically harangued people into believing in records, his CIA like methods of making you take records and playing them as he insisted as a condition of selling certain things were legendary, and not always, but mostly spot on in taste. I think he was actually one of the most important people, among many others, who drove us on, his life was searching for that sound. Like a missionary on a mission. As they say, often nothing truer than words spoke in jest.

Anyway, I teary eyed digress. The radio room, one of the many highlights of a weekend of a lifetime, the whole crowd in there, Colin getting reported for swearing too much, which meant we both went on next time and said as many swear words as we knew, and I think he might have got banned for that. Sabotaging mike for Brian Rae who like the true professional he was didn't miss a beat and carried on, whilst swearing at us off air, he knew the rules and how to play them. Tying up Sean Gibbons nephew who was on afterwards, or some distant relation, when Sean nipped out for a few minutes so he couldn't start his set. Maddest of times, best of times, but it didn't stop us being serious about the music which seems to be almost a crime nowadays, with the soul snob and it must be rare insult thrown by the hard of thinking on a daily basis. And it’s a bit of a cliché, but like most cliches it is so because its true, characters then were 10 a penny, in between buying and talking about records during the night, which wasn't a thought crime then, the odd dance, the odd nonsense verbal, I used to sit back and watch and think this is the life, surrounded by nutters, who get it! Not many do currently, I am sorry to say.

But, those days are past now, and in the past, they must remain! Its different now, you can't rise again, can you……….

Nostalgia, not so bad, in small doses.

Well said Jock....all the guys you've mentioned and more with fabulous knowledge would quite happily share what they knew without judging anyone on what they did or didn't know about records....I was like sponge for knowledge from these guys and learned so much...conversations were at the level you knew and never ever patronising...I knew very little and came away so much richer for the experience....it was normal for guys like Rob, Keb, Butch, Ady, yourself, Gaz etc to come an sit or stand next to you and happily talk for ages about northern and records....such a rich time for impressionable young soulies like myself.....fabulous times indeed

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!