Rare Soul Deejay Butch 1991 Yarmouth

Wiggyflat

Russ

i couldnt agree me with your comments - DJ's with bollocks and knowledge, and great people

although i have not been to a nighter in a long time, judging by what i read in SS, there are very few of these types of DJ's on the scene, and even less off the characters

i dont normally get nostalgic, and we must realise that things do change with time, but i really do hope this type of era/people/atmosphere comes back in some form so that some people may experience at least some of what i think were the absolute best days of the rare soul scene

I know many will think that their own youth was aleays the best, but these days in the late 80's / early 90's without doubt had THE best mixture of people/music/characters/atmosphere/fun etc that i have ever experienced and i am extremely lucky to have experienced it

Best

Jim

Here, here, and thoroughly agree with Jocks last contribution, still refer to late 80,s and early 90,s as "back in the day" cos they were the daysfor all the reasons you and Jock mention

Kev

Social source share

Butch....

Just Brothers - Go On And Laugh

Blendells - Did You Mean

Lonnett - Blue Jeans

Cameros - We're Not Too You

Freddie Butler - They Say I'm Afraid

James Phelps - The Look On Your Face

Don Gardner - We're Gonna Make It

Tony Troutman - What's The USe

Directions - She'll Never Say It

Bitter & The Sweet - I Won't Have No Babies For You

Cameros - Lover Come Back

Michael Lizzmore - Promise That You'll Wait

Don Gardner - Your Loving Drives Me Crazy

Don Gardner - Is This Really love

September Jones - I'm Coming Home

Mike Jamison - I Want Some Satisfaction

Sammy Campbell - I Never Thought(I'd Find Anybody Like You

Purple Mundi - Stop Hurting Me Baby

As far as I've got.....

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Its incredible that today's nostalgia crowd would walk off the floor to the likes of Mac Staten, Mello Souls, Diane Lewis (chance), Just Bros ( laugh) etc. All are utter, smash the gaff up Northern Soul. I'll never get my head around that crowd.

Just Bros came from John Vincent if memory serves me correctly. I remember him telling me he offered it Searling late 70's or early 80's and Richard returned it saying it is too good for the Northern Crowd.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just Bros came from John Vincent if memory serves me correctly. I remember him telling me he offered it Searling late 70's or early 80's and Richard returned it saying it is too good for the Northern Crowd.

Hi Chalky

Remember the 1st time us lads from the NE heard Butch play it, Guy,s Mexborough, wow, was the reaction, same spot included Chuck Jackson "Whats with this loneliness" and covered up as the Arcades "Are you gonna leave me" (Jesse James of course) you would be hard pushed to hear 3 better or more soulfull records anywhere, but that was par for the course then, Mexborough, fantastic days

Kev

Social source share

Hi Chalky

Remember the 1st time us lads from the NE heard Butch play it, Guy,s Mexborough, wow, was the reaction, same spot included Chuck Jackson "Whats with this loneliness" and covered up as the Arcades "Are you gonna leave me" (Jesse James of course) you would be hard pushed to hear 3 better or more soulfull records anywhere, but that was par for the course then, Mexborough, fantastic days

Kev

Hi Kev, Butch gave me a list of tracks he played upstairs at the last Stafford, Jus Bros amongst them. He was untouchable 87 onwards IMO. Surprised Jesse James still being played covered up as I remember him uncovering it at Blackburn at the Christmas night, 88? Quite a few knew what it was by then though. Mexborough was a great nighter though!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well said Jock....all the guys you've mentioned and more with fabulous knowledge would quite happily share what they knew without judging anyone on what they did or didn't know about records....I was like sponge for knowledge from these guys and learned so much...conversations were at the level you knew and never ever patronising...I knew very little and came away so much richer for the experience....it was normal for guys like Rob, Keb, Butch, Ady, yourself, Gaz etc to come an sit or stand next to you and happily talk for ages about northern and records....such a rich time for impressionable young soulies like myself.....fabulous times indeed

Yes, I’ve said this before — The people who are at the top of their game are usually the nicest, most unassuming people you could ever meet. I think (know) some people judge them by their own standards and presume they are ‘up themselves’ — That, they are not!

Example 1 — Butch at The 100 Club came over to ‘our side’ (just the once!) and says to Nina “Lenny’s after a record, but I have to say, it would help if he knew what it was called or at least who it was by” :) …..(No ridicule whatsoever)

Example 2 — 100 Club (again) Sitting next to Keb Darge (Yes, me next to Keb!) lol Someone was playing ‘Love is Serious Business’ me (a bit blocked) “Keb, have you heard the 12” of this?”…..he replied “No”…..Me, realising what a mundane thing to say, quick as a flash said “Mmmmm, well it’s like this, only it goes on a bit longer”….”Oh, I’m glad you shared that with me” he replied (Both seeing the funny side) My point being, a lesser person would have ridiculed me for such nonsense, but he knew what place I was in and it really was hilarious! :)

Dean, was on the list anyway, hence my ‘et al’ …If anyone would like a copy of the full ‘Lenny List’ you can ‘e’ mail me at len@lowercaseyesthatsalllowercase.com and I’ll be happy to oblige! :)

One of ‘the characters’ of the scene I will always remember is Mad Mick from Burton, not that he would remember me if he were alive today but there are reasons why we remember such characters.

These are just a sample of the things that have made my personal journey special to me.

All the best,

Len :)

P.s — I won’t go into the ‘Forgetful’ conversation I had with Russ ‘The Knowledge’ Vickers at Life-line…..but it’s these moments……

P.p.s - Steve Smith — On the list mate (The Stoppers) :)....If you are the Gloucester / Kettering Steve Smith that is!

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Found another tape from this weekender.Anybody know who the scottish deejay is....not keen on his sounds.Butch has a slight dig at the deejays going back to the fifties.Anyone who as tapes of radio stuff on tape and wantsto see them on youtube and have copies on cd just pm me and i will transfer them for you.

really njoyin this lvit.. :yes:
Social source share

Hi Kev, Butch gave me a list of tracks he played upstairs at the last Stafford, Jus Bros amongst them. He was untouchable 87 onwards IMO. Surprised Jesse James still being played covered up as I remember him uncovering it at Blackburn at the Christmas night, 88? Quite a few knew what it was by then though. Mexborough was a great nighter though!

Yeah Chalky, Mexborough ran through 1988, possibly mid 87 not sure, so Jesse wouldn,t have been uncovered then. Didn,t realise that he had had Just Bros all that time though

Kev

Social source share

Yeah Chalky, Mexborough ran through 1988, possibly mid 87 not sure, so Jesse wouldn,t have been uncovered then. Didn,t realise that he had had Just Bros all that time though

Kev

I thought Mexborough was after Blackburn or in conjunction but started a year or so later? Blackburn was 87 I think.

Social source share

I was 21 that year and remember those weekenders very well indeed. Still got the tapes, which were heavily played to say the least! Fantastic days.

Just Brothers is possibly himselfs best spin ever.

Regards

Jim.

Are you gonna get those tapes digitised and on mixcloud Jim? Be great to hear them?

Paul Franklin has some video of Yarmouth. I know some exists cause I can remember seeing Keb on some dancing to Temptations Forever In My Heart, fantastic dancing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Should do really Chalks, but no idea how to do it!

Was playing one the other day whilst washing up, with Clarky on top form, Jean Battle, Sensational Little Doc, Brothers Guiding Light (none of which I knew at the time) bloody great.

ps

Doesnt the 'Lonette' sound great!

Jim.

I'll do them for you?

Lonnett is one of my all time favourites, remember it from back then, Guy's Thelma Lavern cover up. She got in touch with Guy over the summer btw.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Indeed Byrney....but I never worked out is this really Diane Lewis or a cover name for the acetate?

Same here, not sure, but one pure sexy voice who ever it is. :)

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

Butch....

Just Brothers - Go On And Laugh

Blendells - Did You Mean

Lonnett - Blue Jeans

Cameros - We're Not Too You

Freddie Butler - They Say I'm Afraid

James Phelps - The Look On Your Face

Don Gardner - We're Gonna Make It

Tony Troutman - What's The USe

Directions - She'll Never Say It

Bitter & The Sweet - I Won't Have No Babies For You

Cameros - Lover Come Back

Michael Lizzmore - Promise That You'll Wait

Don Gardner - Your Loving Drives Me Crazy

Don Gardner - Is This Really love

September Jones - I'm Coming Home

Mike Jamison - I Want Some Satisfaction

Sammy Campbell - I Never Thought(I'd Find Anybody Like You

Purple Mundi - Stop Hurting Me Baby

As far as I've got.....

I've got exactly the same set on tape! Also got a hilarious 'banks and bicknell' sunday morning breakfast set from the same weekend. Sounds like they had had a long weekend!! Probably still got other tapes from other Yarmouth weekenders too.

Also got around 40 tapes of Dave Evison's Signal show 1987 to about 90. Lots of guest DJs featured including Guy Hennigan, Butch, Colin Law and more playing their cover ups of the day (such as Colin playing Joan Baker covered up as Betty Lavette!). Seem to remember a great set from a DJ called Sedge from Stoke (is he still about?). Haven't played the tapes for about 10 years, so not sure what condition they're in.

It was these guest spots that moved me away from the scooter/oldies tunes into the 'newies' sounds and got me going to niters such as Droylesden, Blackburn, Bradford etc.

Edited by Ferrett
Social source share

He sold Sam quite a few dodgy acetates, looks the business. I have Rob's Trannels cut at home somewhere.

Diane Lewis, know two or three DJs that got a copy, Pete Smith auctioned another one a few years ago, got about £300 for it if I remember rightly.

I did, it was Mick Smith's, I think he got it from Ady

Social source share

The Mexborough flyer is from 1988 Kev, think it was the first or one of the early ones.

post-225-0-57833400-1358797432_thumb.jpg

First Blackburn is from 1987

post-225-0-20647000-1358797428_thumb.jpg post-225-0-04989200-1358797423_thumb.jpg

Just love looking at these 80s flyers they just exude soulfulness. I varnished a few onto the lid of my main wooden record box which i made around 22 years ago now.They are all nighters i attended during the 80s.One is the Stafford Harold Melvin night,one is the Clifton Hall 2nd ann 82, and one is from Tony's Blackburn.The last is a Leeds Griffin Hotel with the Mighty Bub on the DJ rosta.

I have saved a few of my Clifton hall flyers and some Bretby,Keele ones but really wished i had kept more,it seems Chalky you have a great collection from the ones you post up

Social source share

Just love looking at these 80s flyers they just exude soulfulness. I varnished a few onto the lid of my main wooden record box which i made around 22 years ago now.They are all nighters i attended during the 80s.One is the Stafford Harold Melvin night,one is the Clifton Hall 2nd ann 82, and one is from Tony's Blackburn.The last is a Leeds Griffin Hotel with the Mighty Bub on the DJ rosta.

I have saved a few of my Clifton hall flyers and some Bretby,Keele ones but really wished i had kept more,it seems Chalky you have a great collection from the ones you post up

At he weekend Patto I will start a topic for 80's flyers, I kept all sorts of rubbish :lol: cadged loads more, Stafford etc. will put them in the gallery.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dani Herranz

I´ve heard it all and is AMAZING, absolutely fantastic and many records I did not know, I heard Butch first time in 1995 at the 100 club, and he impresed me big time, number 1 DJ to me

May someone tell what is the record that start at 31:20 of the youtube video, I love it!!!

Edited by Dani Herranz
Social source share

I´ve heard it all and is AMAZING, absolutely fantastic and many records I did not know, I heard Butch first time in 1995 at the 100 club, and he impresed me big time, number 1 DJ to me

May someone tell what is the record that start at 31:20 of the youtube video, I love it!!!

I think its the Just Brothers Go On And Laugh you re referring to, first record of Butch....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!