Newbeats.....'crying My Heart Out'.....'non Grata' These Days?

Guest Brooky

Newbeats.....'Crying My Heat Out'...........'Non Grata' these days?

Remember this getting lots of play at Wigan 1976-77. I must admit I liked it....good beat, great instrumental break and of course the 'full stop' followed by the thunderous build up before the end.

Seems to be in limbo now though...if not permanently excommunicated!!!

Does it ever get played out?....anyone think it deserves to??? :g:

post-26636-0-13470100-1358699119_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Who was responsible for this one? Russ?

Absolutely Russ. Have to admit it sounds great on one of my old tapes though, the night Archie Bell played there in 1977, place was packed and atmosphere was great. Sounds pretty poor nowadays though whereas Run Baby Run still sounds like a classic.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Absolutely Russ. Have to admit it sounds great on one of my old tapes though, the night Archie Bell played there in 1977, place was packed and atmosphere was great. Sounds pretty poor nowadays though whereas Run Baby Run still sounds like a classic.

================================================================================================================

Different perceptions....'Run Baby Run' only ever sounded like a second rate pop song to me...back then..and now.....whereas I always thought there was definitely something very 'Northern Soul' about CMHO.........although the 'Ooh-oo-Ooh-Ooh-oo-oo I'm crying' bit at the beginning...always glad when that stopped and the guts of the tune kicked in.....aside from that...well........ :thumbup:

Social source share

================================================================================================================

Different perceptions....'Run Baby Run' only ever sounded like a second rate pop song to me...back then..and now.....whereas I always thought there was definitely something very 'Northern Soul' about CMHO.........although the 'Ooh-oo-Ooh-Ooh-oo-oo I'm crying' bit at the beginning...always glad when that stopped and the guts of the tune kicked in.....aside from that...well........ :thumbup:

It is a pop song, a classic pop song, that's where I know it from - the top 20 in 1971. Didn't say it was a "Northern Soul Classic". Never even heard it played at a Northern Soul event.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You're right Pete it is a classic pop song, although when it first came out it certainly was not 'pop'. It did get lots of club play in '65 and like the 4 Seasons tracks seemed to acquire respectability amongst us 'soul' fans, who all knew they were white.

Social source share

You're right Pete it is a classic pop song, although when it first came out it certainly was not 'pop'. It did get lots of club play in '65 and like the 4 Seasons tracks seemed to acquire respectability amongst us 'soul' fans, who all knew they were white.

Re Run Baby Run

Here's where the mod clubs and northern soul crossed over..

Still got my nice UK Hickory copy of Run Baby, bought from Keith Minshull at The Golden Torch for £3 in late '69.

Quite a coup at the time obtaining a copy.

Run Baby and Queen of Fools were very much sought after at the time. Keith was of course a Wheel regular

and many of the sounds played there and at the Cats, found their way to the amplification and speakers

of Chris Burton's pre all nighter Golden Torch club.

Tony Blackburn would have been one of the first to play this on Radio 1, when it was re-issued in '71.

Though the spadework for London Records in promoting "Run,Baby," had already been done in the clubs.

I can quite understand why with the hindsight of overplay and a chart hit, most fans of our genre

would tend to disown this type of tune.However along with Spencer Davis, Wayne Fontana, Dusty,

The Outsiders and the Human Beinz, I for one still hold a candle for these early club tunes.

Thanks for posting this discussion.

Edited by Mick Sway
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

have to disagree..i had this on a tape that was done for me in 1972 ish..had all the current sounds of that time..and i did hear it tho not that often in some northern 'discos'..72/73..and i think it may well have been a wheel sound..always liked it..

Social source share

Certainly a Wigan only tune Steve so I suspect Russ.....

Ian D :D

Ian, cant believe you never heard this 71-73..as i say i had it on tape (nothing rare on this tape either)..i'm sure it was spun then and was already a known sound..Russ obv picked it up as a forgotten sound as by then his playlist was ..shall we say varied...

Social source share

Tony Blackburn would have been one of the first to play this on Radio 1, when it was re-issued in '71.

Though the spadework for London Records in promoting "Run,Baby," had already been done in the clubs.

true tony cant get the credit for this, at that time run baby run was a massive youth club play, i belive the chart hits of that era elgins, formations, tammi lynn, newbeats etc were pushed into the charts not so much by the northern scene but by the youth club scene, later youth clubs were more varied with more records to play with but the youth club scene in 71 was like a mini northern scene and a lot of the djs went to the wheel, where i youthed in cheshire it was more or less the same playlist town to town and every kid wanted run baby run

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ian, cant believe you never heard this 71-73..as i say i had it on tape (nothing rare on this tape either)..i'm sure it was spun then and was already a known sound..Russ obv picked it up as a forgotten sound as by then his playlist was ..shall we say varied...

It was very possible that I screened it out. I used to be a Soul snob and would only play records with obvious black vocalists. That was until someone pointed that Dean Parish happened to be white LOL..... :lol:

Social source share

It was very possible that I screened it out. I used to be a Soul snob and would only play records with obvious black vocalists. That was until someone pointed that Dean Parish happened to be white LOL..... :lol:

ah..soul snob..was it the early influence of IL..?..glad you got cured...

Social source share

Nah, not at all. It was all my own doing. Let's not forget that IL brought us such gems as The MVP's, The Present, Holly St James, Barnaby Bye etc, etc and I was a bit snobby about them as well.......

oh i know..IL was very keen to bang the black drum early on..look at his liner notes on solid sensations..but he went astray when he did the tailor mades and the disco dross..(obv got carried away in studio 54) and he would play anything black or white if it suited him..i loved the MVP's, Present..hated barnaby Bye..good job we're not all the same..

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Don't know how I have missed this thread must be an age thingy, re Crying my heart out is my number 1track of all time event thought it nevers get played nowadays, why is it my fav track as it was around 73ish age 13 in Felling Youth Club or Leam Lane Methodist youth club this is where I first heard it blew me away and lead me on my long life passion with all forms of Soul Music.

When it was first played on scene I have no idea but what I can say when this track was played at those two youth clubs lads who are on Soul Source nowadays where dancing to it and I was told there were 'Northern Souler's'

Cheers

Paul Conroy 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!