Canadian Soul 45S And Canadian Only Soul 45S

After reading about Sonny Allen's 45 on Canadian Reo it got me thinking.....

Have we ever done a thread on northern rarities that were also released on Canadian labels (as well as in America etc) and also whilst we're on the subject what about northern rarities that were only ever released in Canada.

Must admit those Canadian labels do look very nice indeed.

I ain't got much knowledge to add to this thread myself but I'm sure between us all we have....

derek

Label scans most welcome

Released in Canada:

Little Charles "Talkin' about you babe" (Decca)

Little Charles "It's a Heartache" (Decca)

Released only in Canada:

Tiaras "Surprise" (Op-Art) as discovered by Andy Dyson just a few years ago; also a Butch c/up at the time

Mighty Pope "If you want a love affair" (RCA) his version of the Jesse James song

Eddie Spencer (Arc) Mmm could be getting a bit confused with this release?

Social source share

• Replies 86
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

What a cool label design. :thumbsup:

I always thought so but here's the quote on youtube from Gerry Lincoln, the designer of the label -

"Oh God! I had hoped a visual of this single would never ever surface but here it is.

I designed that label, basically on a scrap of paper, years before Photoshop.

I cringe whenever I think of it, so imagine how I feel actually SEEING it. :)"

Social source share

There were a few Canadian only soul releases in the 60's, a couple more in the 70's (that mainly featured US producers / singers who had gone over the border to run labels).But, by the 80's, lots of transplanted Caribbean born singers were cutting tracks in Canada & getting them released on Canadian labels. Loads of good MS outings on Canadian vinyl (7" & 12" + some LP only tracks).Some stuff got even more complicated though when some of the Island born guys headed home to do shows.Aubrey Mann had some decent releases out of Canada.

But when he returned to Barbados for some shows in 1982, he licensed two of his very limited release Canadian tracks (cut at Toronto's Amber Studios I believe) for release on an Aim Records (Barbados) 45.

"Need Your Loving Tonight" was coupled with "Don't Give Up" to form a really rare outing ...

.... its really rare on both the Canadian & Bajan releases ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-AaRSAyw0

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

A few you dont see to much -

Lt Richie - Just another heartache -SS7

Gloria Jones-Come go with me-Capitol

Rubin - You've been away -Kapp

Sorry just re read listing not only Canadian Lable !

Social source share

Tommy Frontera - Leading Lady

Canadian - Quality

Quality, REO and Regency picked up a LOT of US Soul productions on lease. That list would be endless.

What really is interesting are the local Canadian Soul productions. Toronto had an active soul artists representation in their club scene. And so, also had some Soul music production in their studios in the '60s. Several Detroit artists went there to record. There were also a few local Soul artists recorded there (as mentioned The Tiaras, et al).

Social source share

I've not got them now but bought these from Oldies Unlimited in Telford around 1977/78;

Stone Records:-

Precisions- If This is Love

Precisions- Instant Heartbreak

Precisions- A Place

Timmy Willis- Mr Soul Satisfaction

Eddie Parker- Love You Baby

Multiple copies of all of the Stone releases

Brunswick:-

Billy Butler- I'll Bet You

Warner Bros:-

Ben Aitken- Satisfied

All these were found scattered through thousands of US singles so how did they get there.

At Global Records a huge shipment of mixed US singles included about 50 copies of the Eddie Spencer record (about 20 of them cracked in two).Again why did Canadian issues turn up in the US. Did US companies pick up overstocks from Canada or did Canadian labels ship stuff to US shops.

Anyone else find Canadian records in bulk in the US ?

Global Dog Productions web site has some Canadian label listings

https://www.globaldogproductions.info/

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Laura Lee's Ric-Tic 45 To Win Your Heart is on Canadian RCA. Strange because some Ric-Tic's are on Canadian pressed Ric-Tic and some are on Reo/ Quality. Supposedly there are two Edwin Starr's on Canadian RCA - Headline News & S.O.S. but I've not had them myself so would somebody please put up a scan?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!