Sounds That Die When A Club Goes Under

Travis Wammack 'Scratchy' had a bit of a mid 70's revive Keith. Even got bootlegged at the time, as I recall.

There were many old Wheel Sounds that came back during the following decades, but as for Round Robin I think the bird had flown for good.

Shame. Always had a soft spot for it... and still own it on three different labels!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Remember hearing Travis Womack downstairs at Wigan but that was sometime after the wheel closed.

One of the wheel crowd from our way, Bill O'Nea,(not sure of spelling) said their quirky pet tune was Wang dang doodle (Big Mabel?) which he always played when they let him do a set at the wheel. Never heard it out though but I taped it with loads of other stuff from his collection.

Social source share

theme from joe 90 died with wigan?

I wondered how long before that was mentioned, not very?

some tunes from Wigan i never or very rarely hear played out, not saying they dont, just i dont hear em.

i sure they do, too good not too.

Barbara Pennington, Joe Hicks & also Cut Your Motors Off by Black someting or other??

aid

Social source share

Some more great tracks spring to mind I dont hear much these, Anita Hulmes & The Essex What did i do and E, J, Chandler Cant Stand to lose You, another one Carl Spencer ( i think) Cover Girl.

just saying i dont hear em, not they dont get spins.

Aid.

the question was asked..the answer was given..all the tunes you mentioned above do get the odd play ..ive heard them all out.....but joe 90 alas not........and hopefully not to be resussitated

Social source share

After finishing my spot last Friday (check playlists) the next Dj lined up "nine time out of ten", Thank god i was going for a smoke.

Oops i made a mistake with this (see post 37)

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Mother was JMM, Black nasty was I believe a son and daughter

it was more than a son and daughter but the band contained a son and daughter of JMM. what was funny was that the last name that the group had throughout its career was the "General Assistance and the ADC Band". Apparently ADC stood for "Aid for Dependent Children".

Social source share

Were Round Robin `Kick That Little Foot Sally Ann` or Travis Wammack `Scratchy` played at all when the Wheel closed? Where there other sounds that did?

Also :

Mood Mosaic - A touch of velvet a sting of brass

Elvis - Rubberneckin'

Alan Bown set - Gonna fix you good

Al TNT Braggs - Earthquake

Band of Angels - Invitation

Edited by RitchieAndrew
Social source share

Also :

Alan Bown set - Gonna fix you good

Lots of UK cover versions were played back in the Mojo / Wheel days. Mainly coz the acts (Alan Bown, Geno W, Jimmy James, Joe E Young, Ferris Wheel, Chris Farlowe, Zoot Money, etc) were booked into the clubs on a regular basis so it was only natural that their records would be spun as well.

The big game back then was to listen to 'New Religion' or a Geno LP and then go looking for the original US version.

Loved all the tracks on 'New Religion' and got copies of most of the originals (JJ's LP notes writer made it earlier by name checking many of the US artists).

Still remember going through the old 45 stock at a Hull record shop that was selling up it's back stock & coming across a Stateside 45 with the title "Michael" .... snapped it straight up & took it home to play. Sure enough it was the original to my fave song from Geno's stage show.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Teddy Vann Orchestra - Theme From The Colouredman (Capitol).

Fluffy Falana - My Little Cottage (Alpha).

Still contained within the rubble and dust of a red bricked building in Lancashire. Be that good or bad for some members, but like most threads I'll be wrong.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I wondered how long before that was mentioned, not very?

some tunes from Wigan i never or very rarely hear played out, not saying they dont, just i dont hear em.

i sure they do, too good not too.

Barbara Pennington, Joe Hicks & also Cut Your Motors Off by Black someting or other??

aid

black nasty.......johnny mae mathews daughter l do believe

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Teddy Vann Orchestra - Theme From The Colouredman (Capitol).

Fluffy Falana - My Little Cottage (Alpha).

Still contained within the rubble and dust of a red bricked building in Lancashire. Be that good or bad for some members, but like most threads I'll be wrong.

Fluffy falana is still played at poor venues in the midlands

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I'm plagued by the vague memory of Fathers Angels (was this Wigan or per Wigan, I wasn't pre Wigan so don't know), but also the vocal Dance of Love which I'm sure had a brief limelight at Wigan never to be heard again.

played at the TORCH....along with barbera mills and april stevens

oops sorry steve didn,t see your post :thumbsup:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I reckon theres loads of mecca & cleethorpes records that havent been played for 30+ years

Indeed Steve - but it is well documented that a vast amount were not "northern type sounding" and historically had no honour or musical acceptance with northern soul.

Failure or void of any acceptable musical content and the lack of interfacing, resulted in many of these still remaining in collections today, as fillers or just period piece's.

As for today - well !!

But a valuable point still the same.

Social source share

Where/who was that so I can avoid it/him? :huh: :huh:

Bloody hell, what venue was that?!

Sorry i made a mistake with this, the record was actually "there's a pain in my heart" but i hate both equally so it was an easy mistake for me to make. and to make it worse it was the re-issue on columbia special products label. I had never heard the chap dj before but i believe that he is quite recent to the scene.

Social source share

Sorry i made a mistake with this, the record was actually "there's a pain in my heart" but i hate both equally so it was an easy mistake for me to make. and to make it worse it was the re-issue on columbia special products label. I had never heard the chap dj before but i believe that he is quite recent to the scene.

Oh dear. It puts the thread on Butch at Yarmouth '91 into perspective really doesn't it?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

:ohmy::(:facepalm: People used to get sent to the colonies for lesser crimes

Social source share

Not heard it for years & years Pete, was a biggie in it's day though.

Yeah, thinking about it, very questionable, like a lot from that time, but I did love it then.

Aid.

Might have been more Russ than Richard mate, not certain cos I only ever heard it Birmingham Locarno having stopped going to Wigan by that time

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!