The «Northern Soul Dance Moves»

Tommy1

I was watching this earlier and after around 1 min (woman in blue) I was thinking that I’ve seen this before, but not with those shoes :D

I’m guessing it developed over the years, but did the dancers “steal” the moves from other dances/dancers?

Cannot see the clip, blocked at work-- :(

But, without a doubt moves were borrowed and adapted from all sorts of sources.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was watching this earlier and after around 1 min (woman in blue) I was thinking that I’ve seen this before, but not with those shoes :D

I’m guessing it developed over the years, but did the dancers “steal” the moves from other dances/dancers?

People were doing that high kick thing before 1980, cant think that any northern moves would have been borrowed from disco dancing but who knows?

Social source share

People were doing that high kick thing before 1980, cant think that any northern moves would have been borrowed from disco dancing but who knows?

As I said I can't see the clip. I'd assumed it was an old 'un-Nicolas Brothers/ Hellzapoppin' or the like...

Copied from Discoers?? Nah, 'Tother way round more like.

Social source share

It was taken from a Detroit TV show called 'The Scene '.

Not northern style dancing but reckoned to be the first Detroit techno record enjoy this classic esp. the guy at 2mins 40sec...coool.

Cracking stuff, long before the Bellville three. Now after Electrfying Mojo recordings :)

Social source share

Nobody seems to know exactly where the dance style came from originally but got to be influenced by the artists and the people interpreting their stuff on dance floors in the States.

Wherever it started its only still around because people copy what they've seen and put their own stamp (or stomp) on it.

Good dancers aren't following any set routine they're just spontaneously dancing to the tune and making it their own.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Nobody seems to know exactly where the dance style came from originally but got to be influenced by the artists and the people interpreting their stuff on dance floors in the States.

Wherever it started its only still around because people copy what they've seen and put their own stamp (or stomp) on it.

Good dancers aren't following any set routine they're just spontaneously dancing to the tune and making it their own.

Thanks all for the replies!

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

my opinion exactly!
Social source share

Maybe this is where you've seen the high kick before.......................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Carol J
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

when i was about twelve i went to my cousins wedding and my cousin taught me the hustle which was big at the tiime it consisted of stepping your legs forwards and backwards and bending them slightlly as you do the hustle !! point is i still do a similar thing now .......anyone remember the hustle!!!

Van Macoy (McCoy) ...(and then there was the Spanish Hustle) ...huge in the "night clubs" and played alongside Earl Wright "Thumb a Ride" which also came out on general release in the summer of '75 !!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

when i was about twelve i went to my cousins wedding and my cousin taught me the hustle which was big at the tiime it consisted of stepping your legs forwards and backwards and bending them slightlly as you do the hustle !! point is i still do a similar thing now .......anyone remember the hustle!!!

No, but I remember doing The Watusi (True!) lol.......Can’t believe I just typed that out loud…. :(:)

Len :)

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

That kick move is as old as the hills,mind you I remember going over to Kettering when I was 13 with a couple of older lads ,Keith Harpur,George Mckimmie ,,ie r.i.p and seeing people doing back drops at the north park to soul about the time of mkt harborough,bletso maybe, a bunch of us corby lads also used to go to the windmill club in kettering on another night imcluding ,Wilky,john Boyd etc just for the A g a g r with the teddy boys and kettering firm (not the soul lads)it was that time in our youth culture history,suehead era just before flares and the feathercuts.,The afore mentioned Teddy boys would also be backdropping away during their bopping dances,so I would imagine the backdrop was partt of their early culture,did we nick it from them?The road outside the Windmill was the scene of many a running battle between corby and kettering lads back then and a regular happening.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I was so engrossed in that clip, i completely forgot about the topic. That is magical. . . To see Edwin Starr look so young, I hardly recognised him. Quality clip, a pleasure to watch.

He introduces it as agent double o seven?foolish man,great clip and great song though.
Social source share

Remember seeing a group of Teddy Boys mid 70s doing back drops so might be something in what your saying Manus. Must say never liked backdrops even when I could do them, to me they look a bit odd and clumsy. Might be that my view was stained due to seeing Ted's doing them.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Remember seeing a group of Teddy Boys mid 70s doing back drops so might be something in what your saying Manus. Must say never liked backdrops even when I could do them, to me they look a bit odd and clumsy. Might be that my view was stained due to seeing Ted's doing them.

Was never a big fan of the back drop myself,though some used to seem to do not much else .I think it may have been seeing the teds in their drapes and beetle crushers doing the move ,sometimes in large scale unison that put me off it a bit,plus to all us lads from Corby back then the group of teds that we used to fight with outside the windmill were all dead old compared to us us teens and early,early twenties(especially me at 13,14ish)they were all easily late twenties some even older they could even have been thirty or more.Just shows how your views on young and old change,us with folk on our scene in their forties refering to" themselves",as the young uns?atb manus Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

I always thought Back Drops were more Ted than Soul and never really seen that many doing them back in the day, most I knew had moved onto the 'Kung Fu' influenced moves, ie the high Kicks and full centre splits etc....

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest micky p

EVERY DANCER STEALS OTHERS MOVES ! BUT WHO WANTS TO BE LIKE ANOTHER DANCER ? IVE STOLE MOVES AND MADE THEM MY OWN ! BY ADDING TO IT ! DISCO MUSIC TO ME IS ALL ABOUT BEING THE BEST TO GET THE BEST WOMEN ! AND RESPECT !AINT NO SOUL IN THEM OLD DISCO SHOES ! WHAT DO U MEAN "I SUIT THE GOLD SHINEY ALL IN ONE NUMBER" ! WHAT ABOUT THE PLATFORM SHOES ? BEST PART OF DISCO WAS THE FILM BOOGGIE NIGHTS ! GOOD OLD DERK DIGGLER EH ? LOL ! IM SURE THAT A FEW HAND MOVEMENTS CROSSED FROM DISCO AND THE STOMPING HAD TO BE INCORPERATED ! AND NO DOUGHT THE DISCO DANCERS PINCHED OUR MOVES ! JUST LOOK AT KEB DARGE ! THE MAN ! UNTIL I DANCE NEXT TO HIM AND HE SITS DOWN AND WATCHES IN TOTAL ORE AND ADMERATION ! LOL !`DANCERS ONLY LOOK GOOD WHEN YOU CAN SEE THE PASSION OOZ OUT OF THEM ! I DONT GIVE A FLYING KICK WEATHER THE LAD OR LASS ON THE FLOOR CAN DANCE OR NOT ! BUT TO SEE SUCH DEEP LOVE FOR A CERTAIN RECORD WHILE THEY ARE THERE , PUTS A SMILE ON MY FACE EVERY TIME ! NOW LETS GET THIS TOPIC GOING PROPPERLY FOLKS ! AND TO ALL GOOD DANCERS AND BAD DANCERS ALIKE " KEEP DOIN WHAT YOUR DOIN ! COS IN OUR WORLD THE MUSIC AND A SHINEY FLOOR IS ALL THAT MATTERS ! KTF, MICKY P IN THE TOON

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!