" Banished Northern " - New Podcast - Guilty Pleasures Time

Pete S

Here are the outcasts; the records that used to be loved but now are shunned by the Northern Soul Jet Set. Yet they all had their day once upon a time. Why exactly they became untouchables can be put down to a number of factors. The record was popular but quickly bootlegged, thus ending it’s life as a top sound; the record turned out to be less hard to find than as first though, so was dropped for being too common; the record became unfashionable with soul connoisseurs because it was too “white” sounding (a case with The Poppies record, which is a bit daft considering they were black girls); maybe the record was a one or two week wonder, played, peaked and dropped; or maybe the record was just total shit in the first place. What is for sure though is that it’s peer pressure from those ‘in the know’ that stops many of these fine records being played out by frightened DJ’s. “You’re gonna play WHAT???”

Anyway here’s a selection of ex-Monsters, the majority of which have been gathering dust since the late 70’s and are rarely if ever heard out at venues in 2013.

I bet that secretly you will love this podcast, I did!

https://www.mixcloud.com/mayfairmenthol/banished-northern/

DISCLAIMER - I ACTUALLY REALLY LIKE HALF OF THESE - I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE 'BAD' RECORDS

MISTURA — THE FLASHER

IDLE FEW — PEOPLE THAT’S WHY

SUSAN COLEMAN — THE AGE OF THE WOLF

JOAN MOODY — WE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT

BOBBY JASON —WALL TO WALL HEARTACHES

JACKIE TRENT — YOU BABY

DAVID ‘KING’ THOMAS — YOU BETTER INVESTIGATE

THE CAMP — MARCHING

RAIN — OUT OF MY MIND

FRENCH FRIES — DANSE A LA MUSIQUE

RONNIE DAVIE — WHAT DOES IT MATTER TO ME NOW

JACKIE DESHANNON — FIND ME LOVE

LIFE — CATS EYES

CHRIS CERF — SWEET MUSIC

HIGH VOLTAGE — COUNTRY ROAD

OTIS BLACKWELL — IT’S ALL OVER ME

7 DWARFS — STOP GIRL

THE POPPIES — THERE’S A PAIN IN MY HEART

LORRAINE SILVER — LOST SUMMER LOVE

JON FORD — YOU GOT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME

BJ THOMAS — I DON’T HAVE A MIND OF MY OWN

MICKEY MOONSHINE — NAME IT YOU GOT IT

DANNY WILLIAMS — WHOSE LITTLE GIRL ARE YOU

THE INVITATIONS — SKIING IN THE SNOW

THE DETROIT SOUND — JUMPING AT THE GO GO

CHARLIE GRACIE — HE’LL NEVER LOVE YOU LIKE I DO

AUGUST & DENEEN — WE GO TOGETHER

THE 3 DEGREES — CONTACT

JOHN E PAUL — I WANNA KNOW

BOBBY GOLDSBORO — TOO MANY PEOPLE

SUSAN FARRAR — THE BIG HURT

EVELYN THOMAS — WEAK SPOT

MARY SAXTON — TAKE MY HEART

THE BELMONTS — YOU’RE LIKE A MYSTERY

RPM GENERATION — RONA’S THEME

FRANK LYNDON — DON’T GO AWAY BABY

THE ROYAL VIBES — THE JOKER

WOMBAT — I’M GETTING ON LIFE

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Bloody great playlist Pete, memories a plenty, that's for sure.

Only downside is I've been lookingfor a few of the tunes on there, hoping to pick them up at the right price - now you've gone and reminded everyone of them!!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Here you go Benji

You can download a mixcloud using offliberty.com.

Copy and paste the URL into the blank box, click on the link below, of in a black box, and it will download.

extremeley handy to know, cheers Pete :thumbup:

Social source share

Great list of dropped tunes Pete, would have thought Otis Blackwell was still a Northern standard though? (it is for me anyways)

Some of those tunes were so massive too, The Belmonts & Charlie Gracie, sure I seen a green stateside demo of that in the bar at Wigan once, (could be wrong about label Stateside??), anyways couldn't afford it at that time as was already spent up, but remember really wanting it, funny how tastes change, got to admit loved it at that time though.

Aid.

Social source share

Great list of dropped tunes Pete, would have thought Otis Blackwell was still a Northern standard though? (it is for me anyways)

Some of those tunes were so massive too, The Belmonts & Charlie Gracie, sure I seen a green stateside demo of that in the bar at Wigan once, (could be wrong about label Stateside??), anyways couldn't afford it at that time as was already spent up, but remember really wanting it, funny how tastes change, got to admit loved it at that time though.

Aid.

Otis Blackwell is a great track Aid but it was played very little after the start of 77 and then of course it was pressed...Charlie Gracie is on Stateside but it's a red and white demo. I loved that at the time...am on the fence about it now.

Social source share

Aid.

There was a Stateside Demo of Charlie Gracie in the back of a record box at Wigan for weeks - £5 - ended up getting bought by Hovis I think, and given to Alan Rhodes to play... the rest is history.....

:)

Social source share

Pete you need to get out more, regularly hear these in oldies sets, up and down the country

In fact Otis Blackwell & Mickey Monnshine to the point of over kill

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Pete you need to get out more, regularly hear these in oldies sets, up and down the country

In fact Otis Blackwell & Mickey Monnshine to the point of over kill

Dave it's not meant to be an in depth study, it's just some records that I, me, Pete Smith, had not heard played out since their heyday. And a bunch of titles, many of which people say are the worst they've ever heard, like Wombat. It's just a laugh, something to listen to.

* oh and trust me, I don't need to get out more if people are playing The Flasher nowadays like Andy reports some posts above

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Dave it's not meant to be an in depth study, it's just some records that I, me, Pete Smith, had not heard played out since their heyday. And a bunch of titles, many of which people say are the worst they've ever heard, like Wombat. It's just a laugh, something to listen to.

* oh and trust me, I don't need to get out more if people are playing The Flasher nowadays like Andy reports some posts above

Pete understand what your saying, but you do come from a view point of someone that goes out very little. I'm saying that many of the old slightly left field things do get played and have not be forgotten. If your wish is to hear good quality oldies or the left field oddity , but not the same old top 100 stuff there are many places doing that every week. There are so many venues now, that what ever your wish or style, there somewhere doing it. Near here there is even a real U.S. Low Rider style event started.

Social source share

Pete understand what your saying, but you do come from a view point of someone that goes out very little. I'm saying that many of the old slightly left field things do get played and have not be forgotten. If your wish is to hear good quality oldies or the left field oddity , but not the same old top 100 stuff there are many places doing that every week. There are so many venues now, that what ever your wish or style, there somewhere doing it. Near here there is even a real U.S. Low Rider style event started.

Dave it's also a list containing records that are constantly ridiculed on here Dave, like The Poppies, Wombat - but yet you say these records get played out - so does that mean that the people always going on about the likes of Bobby Goldsboro, The Present, and all the other white pop stompers, they don't go out either, and more importantly, their opinion thankfully doesn't affect anything that DJ's do? Because I'm sure they'd like to think it does!

Social source share

Dave it's also a list containing records that are constantly ridiculed on here Dave, like The Poppies, Wombat - but yet you say these records get played out - so does that mean that the people always going on about the likes of Bobby Goldsboro, The Present, and all the other white pop stompers, they don't go out either, and more importantly, their opinion thankfully doesn't affect anything that DJ's do? Because I'm sure they'd like to think it does!

Yes to much of that. People that shout loud on here are often never to be seen out or even supporting the type of music they say they want to hear. Also as I said, there are enough different venues and DJ's (boy are there a lot of DJ's nowdays) that most types of oldies get played somewhere.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

PS, slightly off topic. But if people go out expecting to be disappointed, then the end result is they normal are. Those that go out with a positive mind set, find and hear stuff that normally makes the night enjoyable. Those that go out wanting only to hear what they want to hear, are looking for utopia and as we all know that doesn't exist.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Here are the outcasts; the records that used to be loved but now are shunned by the Northern Soul Jet Set. Yet they all had their day once upon a time. Why exactly they became untouchables can be put down to a number of factors. The record was popular but quickly bootlegged, thus ending it’s life as a top sound; the record turned out to be less hard to find than as first though, so was dropped for being too common; the record became unfashionable with soul connoisseurs because it was too “white” sounding (a case with The Poppies record, which is a bit daft considering they were black girls); maybe the record was a one or two week wonder, played, peaked and dropped; or maybe the record was just total shit in the first place. What is for sure though is that it’s peer pressure from those ‘in the know’ that stops many of these fine records being played out by frightened DJ’s. “You’re gonna play WHAT???”

Anyway here’s a selection of ex-Monsters, the majority of which have been gathering dust since the late 70’s and are rarely if ever heard out at venues in 2013.

I bet that secretly you will love this podcast, I did!

https://www.mixcloud.com/mayfairmenthol/banished-northern/

DISCLAIMER - I ACTUALLY REALLY LIKE HALF OF THESE - I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE 'BAD' RECORDS

MISTURA — THE FLASHER

SUSAN COLEMAN — THE AGE OF THE WOLF

JOAN MOODY — WE MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT

BOBBY JASON —WALL TO WALL HEARTACHES

JACKIE TRENT — YOU BABY

DAVID ‘KING’ THOMAS — YOU BETTER INVESTIGATE

THE CAMP — MARCHING

RAIN — OUT OF MY MIND

FRENCH FRIES — DANSE A LA MUSIQUE

RONNIE DAVIE — WHAT DOES IT MATTER TO ME NOW

JACKIE DESHANNON — FIND ME LOVE

LIFE — CATS EYES

CHRIS CERF — SWEET MUSIC

7 DWARFS — STOP GIRL

THE POPPIES — THERE’S A PAIN IN MY HEART

LORRAINE SILVER — LOST SUMMER LOVE

JON FORD — YOU GOT ME WHERE YOU WANT ME

DANNY WILLIAMS — WHOSE LITTLE GIRL ARE YOU

THE INVITATIONS — SKIING IN THE SNOW

THE DETROIT SOUND — JUMPING AT THE GO GO

CHARLIE GRACIE — HE’LL NEVER LOVE YOU LIKE I DO

AUGUST & DENEEN — WE GO TOGETHER

THE 3 DEGREES — CONTACT

JOHN E PAUL — I WANNA KNOW

BOBBY GOLDSBORO — TOO MANY PEOPLE

SUSAN FARRAR — THE BIG HURT

EVELYN THOMAS — WEAK SPOT

THE BELMONTS — YOU’RE LIKE A MYSTERY

RPM GENERATION — RONA’S THEME

THE ROYAL VIBES — THE JOKER

Pete i like most of these mate regards S.

Social source share

Pete i like most of these mate regards S.

So do I.

For the last time. It's not a playlist of records that I don't like.

And because nobody seems to have read the original intro or understand the concept, I am going to have a hissy fit, spit the dummy out and close the topic :lol:

Social source share