News: Tim Brown Talks

Chalky

Guest Matt Male

Good stuff. After Carl Holmes got played at Middleton by Flanny and took the roof off I went and looked for some more by him, bought a Carl Holmes LP blind, but it was all rock and roll...

:(

Seems Carl was the band leader and other people sang I think.

Who is the guy on the piano in this clip? Is that Carl Holmes?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

While I'm not sure if or not Gorgeous George was Georgie Boy on SSS International he definitely wasn't Birmingham George on Marsi

Birmingham George was George Conner

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Evening Sir Prof Turnip :hatsoff2:

I fully concur. Proper, driving beat - trad noth!

Regards Nice.

:wink:

Good evening Nice how's it swinging old boy? Yes a great tune , by the way we're off to Amsterdam soul club next month fancy a bit of Dutch ? trying to get an east midlands posse together regards Prof.Turnip (indeed)

Social source share

Good evening Nice how's it swinging old boy? Yes a great tune , by the way we're off to Amsterdam soul club next month fancy a bit of Dutch ? trying to get an east midlands posse together regards Prof.Turnip (indeed)

Side to side Sir, side to side. Not bad here mate. Hope all good with you.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm not surprised mate it's mediocre in my humble opinion, and the Carl Holmes thing is just rubbish. It's such a shame that people are so desperate to play something different that they forget about "Quality"

must say phil, you are right on both. I have the jesse slaughter since ages and remember deciding quite fast against ever playing it out as it just didnt made it thru quality control. the bonus of the good flipside safed the 45 a place in the collection whereas carl holmes had to leave Berlin after only a handfull of spins in the hot summer of 2007. remember seeing the same title on blackjack credited to another artist...was it pervis herder ?

Social source share

I don't know Marc. I've never pretended to be a collector, or even a soul music fan per se. I love a certain style of music that makes me feel good, and want to dance. Most of it seems to have been made in the sixties, and performed by black artists. I still call it "Northern" because it just has that special something [je nais se quoi] that makes it stand out from all the other styles.

I admire the way you proper soul fans have such deep knowledge of all the genres and the artists, producers etc. I struggle to remember the tunes I do like, never mind the ones I don't. I remember Johnny Beggs [very knowledgeable, and bloody nice lad] playing me a record. I said sorry Johnny I don't like it. He then proceeded to tell me everything, and I mean everything about the 45. I eventually had to stop him and say.............yes Johnny but it's crap. Why would I want to know it's entire history?

I don't even care if the singer is white!!! as long as it moves me, then it's "northern"

If only more people had a quality control Marc. I would love to hear some new "quality" northern. Unfortunately they don't make it any more, and 99.9% of the good stuff has been found and played already.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

... remember seeing the same title on blackjack credited to another artist...was it pervis herder ?

as I said earlier...I remembered seeing it credited to someoneelse as well. the other release is credited to one pervis lavawn, sadly I nly found this weak scan on the net but you get an impression. also found matt finewine mentioning this release on his show so maybe he can upload a proper scan

post-1700-0-64843200-1359316719.jpg

lol and just found these old threads

https://www.soulsides.co.uk/philladelphia/BLACKJACK.htm

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!