Rarest Ric-Tic Of Them All What`s It Worth

You beat me to it Richard,i found this and Rose Batiste 105 as one of the harder ones to find at the time,i wonder how many full sets there are with just the people on here :thumbsup:

Edwin Starr one sided promo..

post-2848-0-12535100-1359829118_thumb.jp

Dave f........

Dave - I meant the 'Scott's On Swingers' single sided mate - not 'Agent 00-Soul' - there's a single and double sided version of 'Scott's On Swingers'.

Mind you, the 'Agent 00-Soul' is pretty rare too :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Always wondered who changed label designs first,from single colour to multicolour.was it Ric Tic or Revilot?Whilst mentioning Revilot, The Parliaments-Don't be sore at me-is considerably harder to obtain than the store stock copy. Chris.

Social source share

Dave - I meant the 'Scott's On Swingers' single sided mate - not 'Agent 00-Soul' - there's a single and double sided version of 'Scott's On Swingers'.

Mind you, the 'Agent 00-Soul' is pretty rare too :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Yes Richard i know you did mate as i saw your post,i meant you beat me to it as i was going to say about the SOS 45,a good call though :thumbsup:

Dave f..

Social source share

Always wondered who changed label designs first,from single colour to multicolour.was it Ric Tic or Revilot?Whilst mentioning Revilot, The Parliaments-Don't be sore at me-is considerably harder to obtain than the store stock copy. Chris.

Here`s my copy of The Parliaments RV211 Promo....

post-2848-0-73189900-1359936219_thumb.jp

Dave f......

Social source share

As I'd imagine most on this thread are aware: Edwin Starr RT120 PROMO sold for $327 last night on Ebay. Bit more than I'd like to pay as it was only VG+ and had tape residue on one side. I'd wager someones reasonably happy though. Definitely much harder than the stocker. The god thing is that's another collector 'out of the mix' now so once everybody has one....I'll get it for peanuts! :lol::thumbsup:

Reference The Parliaments Revilot promo, I had a good result on those just before Christmas. I got three all bundled together. All gone now.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i picked a mint demo of Rose B off ebay a few years back, nobody bid on it but me at $79.99 ! sold it a few weeks later to a dealer for £300 then a while later i got a beat up issue which is all i wanted to play out off Pete S for £40 i think ?

Would have thought Scots on swingers single sided wdj hardest by a country mile but as Chalky says it's always the one your missing !!

Ian.

Social source share

• 6 years later...

Getting back to the San Remo disc, John Rhys told me that Ed and JoAnne named the musicians as such after a visit to the San Remo Music Festival in Northern Italy...hence the Italian named flip... “Quinto Sei Bella” ie ”How Beautiful You Are”.

Arranged by Mike Terry and Bert Keyes.

Edited by David Meikle
Last sentence
Social source share

11 hours ago, David Meikle said:

Getting back to the San Remo disc, John Rhys told me that Ed and JoAnne named the musicians as such after a visit to the San Remo Music Festival in Northern Italy...hence the Italian named flip... “Quinto Sei Bella” ie ”How Beautiful You Are”.

Arranged by Mike Terry and Bert Keyes.

San Remo is my favourite place in the world ,my partner and I go there every year in March to watch the Milan -San Remo cycle race.It is a beautiful place,100 percent italian and untouched by time.I have also been to the music festival which is held in February every year,it is the oldest music festival in Italy.Chris. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 6 months later...
49 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Useful link with a little better images

Took me ages to find the DEMO for RT-129 RT-131 & RT-132 for LET'S HAVE A LOVE-IN.

RT-129 being the hardest of the three. (One did go through ebay a few months ago)

I managed to get RT-106 J J BARNES DEMO & RT-123 AL KENT DEMO from SOUL BOWL way back in the 70's

Not seen many about since.

Social source share

Seriously, I don't buy into that 50 copies story. It doesn't make sense, from an economical point of view. Maybe they handed out 50 copies during the competition. But they must have pressed more. 50 copies or say 200/300 copies, same price at the pressing plant. I'd guess they had more copies made, handed out 50 for the competition and put the rest into the storage.

Just guesswork, but if there were only 50 copies made, and almost 50% of them went through Ebay? Highly unlikely. In my opinion.

Edited by Benji
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Benji said:

Seriously, I don't buy into that 50 copies story. It doesn't make sense, from an economical point of view. Maybe they handed out 50 copies during the competition. But they must have pressed more. 50 copies or say 200/300 copies, same price at the pressing plant. I'd guess they had more copies made, handed out 50 for the competition and put the rest into the storage.

Just guesswork, but if there were only 50 copies made, and almost 50% of them went through Ebay? Highly unlikely. In my opinion.

I'm not saying your right or wrong as I don't know the answer to your post but to give some balance but on visiting Gino Washington's house in 85 I got a "Rat Race" (different vocal to "Like my Baby")  on Mala. Hand written 45 and only 5 ever made (he has since re-issued it on his Washpan label) Dave Thorley first played at Stafford, I got the second copy, a band member had one. Don't have mine anymore but I know Butch has a copy. 

Your right it doesn't make sense to only have 5 or 50 pressed up, I was always told 300-500 would give you a break price.

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Your right it doesn't make sense to only have 5 or 50 pressed up, I was always told 300-500 would give you a break price.

Perhaps they pressed the first 50 single sided, to make them a bit more special for the competition, then pressed the remaining say 250 as double sided. Any clues in the matrix ?.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Gilly said:

I'm not saying your right or wrong as I don't know the answer to your post but to give some balance but on visiting Gino Washington's house in 85 I got a "Rat Race" (different vocal to "Like my Baby")  on Mala. Hand written 45 and only 5 ever made (he has since re-issued it on his Washpan label) Dave Thorley first played at Stafford, I got the second copy, a band member had one. Don't have mine anymore but I know Butch has a copy. 

Morning mate,

A test press is exactly that, you would only pay for a specified amount be it 5 or 50, the plant would prob press more as part of the set-up. It's a completely different animal to demo copies which would be made as part of the pressing run. 

Edited by Tony Smith
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Perhaps they pressed the first 50 single sided, to make them a bit more special for the competition, then pressed the remaining say 250 as double sided. Any clues in the matrix ?.

Single Sided copies are STAMPED ZTSC 

Double A Sided are scratched ZTSC

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I was told a story by the late Terry (Francis) Thomas about Scott's on Swingers. Anyone who knew him will know that Terry would always try to speak to the artist at a show and get something signed, usually a sleeve or a photocopy of the single. When Edwin Starr was touring in the late 70s following his disco hits ,Contact and Happy Radio Terry took along his Scott's on Swingers and showed it to Edwin. He was amazed to see the record and demanded to know how and where he had got the single as no one was supposed to be able to buy or sell the disc. It was the first copy Edwin had seen since it was made and he wanted Terry to sell it to him, no chance.

My recollection of the record is that it started as a rumour amongst collectors around 73 or 74. I originally thought it was the product of an over stimulated imagination or another wind up like the infamous 6x6 vocal and The Spy vocal, courtesy of Dave McCadden . Fairly soon after that it turned up and I got a copy from somewhere as someone must have located a decent quantity, I'd think around 50 -75 . They were double sided and all unplayed. I don't know who found them, John Anderson or Martin Koppel would be the most likely but I have a feeling it might have been Neil Rushton. Neil was getting some very nice rare stuff , he had quite a few Bari Track around this time . Maybe @Neil Rushton could confirm or deny this. As it wasn't a "must have" for DJs the price wasn't a lot and I don't think it went up in value for decades. I sold one in 76 and don't remember a big price i.e. over £10.

Rick

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I bought a Scotts on Swingers from Max Millward's shop in 1979 (18th May as I noted on the sleeve!!). Max was selling them for £3. He thought it was a bootleg at the time, presumably as he had a few, but I was happy to pay the extra £1.75 as I just wanted one! I've always been a bit doubtful about it

soul Edwin

Edited by Bo Diddley
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!