Sadie Sadie - San Francisco Tko's

Having just listened to SAN FRANCISCO TKO'S - MAKE UP YOUR MIND is the singer (I believe her name is Penny Lewis) the same vocalist as the one on RIPPLE BLAST SINGERS - SADIE SADIE. Sounds pretty close to me and even the arrangement and instrumentation of the backing has a few similarities. Whadya think whadya know ?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Not disputing Ady at all but some say it's Dorothy Morrison, ex Edwin Hawkins Singers and wife of TKOs founder Herman Henry. Of course folks my just be putting 2 & 2 together and getting it wrong. She may or may not have sang with the group.

Also read somewhere that Penny Lewis got out of it on drugs and disappeared

Also just found this interesting scan on a SoulStrut thread

Song for Dorothy Morrison ... SF TKO's

post-13147-0-40263300-1359398459_thumb.j

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

No it's a woman, same as on the TKO's, very very deep voice but listen to the lyrics

I might ofcourse be wrong, and it seems like Ady confirmed above that it is the same vocalist on both tracks. But I personally doubt it.

I have listened to the lyrics and unless the lyrics are about gay marriage and lesbian love it makes no sense that it is a woman singing the Ripple Blast Singers version.

The lyrics have been changed quite a bit compared to the Barbra Streisand version.

Social source share

I might ofcourse be wrong, and it seems like Ady confirmed above that it is the same vocalist on both tracks. But I personally doubt it.

I have listened to the lyrics and unless the lyrics are about gay marriage and lesbian love it makes no sense that it is a woman singing the Ripple Blast Singers version.

The lyrics have been changed quite a bit compared to the Barbra Streisand version.

I know I started this topic but I am having doubts now. To be honest I always thought the Ripple Blast was a male vocal and also thought SF TKO's was male as well until I saw an old thread on here. Like Sebastian I have checked out other female versions of this and both Streisand and Diana Ross sing this in the first person, i.e. they are Sadie and they are the ones that got married, stayed in bed and procrastinated over Orange juice or prune. The Ripple Blast singer talks about Her having a silver wedding band and then we got married. So for my money female on SF TKO's (unless Jane is a bloke) and Male on Ripples - nuff said.

I have got 4 different LP's by the Ripple Blast singers - on my way to the record room now to check out what they sound like - it's been a while since I last played them.

frosty

Social source share

The Ripple Blast Singers used a number of vocalists to produce covers of contemporary pop hits on budget labels, to be sold at stores like Woolworths, much like the Top of the Pops albums over here. This particular vocalist may appear on one or more of their albums, but then again might not.

Social source share

Just noticed that Doc Bagby (there was a thread on a single by him on here recently) had an LP full of Drifters covers released on the Power label (which put out all the Ripple Blast Singers albums).

I doesn't sell for much; so guess no one wants late 60's jazzy combo organ led instro versions of Drifters hits.

Social source share

Daft thing was back then ........... Billboard was still printing tips for the version of the Wally Cox 45 on Wand in mid January 71 just a few (4) weeks before they said Wally had signed with Golden State as a producer & his existing track was being licensed out to Kent Records.

post-22122-0-02424900-1359464829_thumb.j

Social source share

Daft thing was back then ........... Billboard was still printing tips for the version of the Wally Cox 45 on Wand in mid January 71 just a few (4) weeks before they said Wally had signed with Golden State as a producer & his existing track was being licensed out to Kent Records.

Two very different versions of 'This Man'. The Wand came out first in Dec 1970 and the GSR version which was unissued until UK Kent got it in the 80s was scheduled for US Kent in July 1971

Social source share

• 6 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!