45 Minute Spots

Just looking at the Wigan niter which was on I can't help noticing that a lot of venues are putting dj's on for 45 minutes instead of an hour, ok the more dj's the better some might say but ask any dj how long he would like and it's odds on an hour, just how many records can you play in one 45 minute spot?, and is it really worth the long journey some may have to be on such a short time, what do you the readers and the dj's think?

Lenny

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

I GOT A 45 SPOT IN DUBLIN LAST SAT.I COULD OF EASLY PLAYD FOR HOURS.WHAT DO YOU MISS OUT IN A 45 SPOT,GOD WHAT DO YOU PUT IN 45 SPOT.NITMARE IF YOU PLAY 12 INCHERS. :thumbsup:

thats about 3 modern tunes innit steve ? lol ...

personally i like snappy spots if the dj's are getting 2 spots that is

Social source share

Guest Baz

45 minute sets are ok if you have another later on.

30 minutes sets ruin the night for me as more often than not the music is all over the place, different styles/genres, sets don't flow.

Completely agree with that, on a personal level any way, more offten than not never happy with myself after doing a 30 min spot always think it was a bit of a hash.

Social source share

Just looking at the Wigan niter which was on I can't help noticing that a lot of venues are putting dj's on for 45 minutes instead of an hour, ok the more dj's the better some might say but ask any dj how long he would like and it's odds on an hour, just how many records can you play in one 45 minute spot?, and is it really worth the long journey some may have to be on such a short time, what do you the readers and the dj's think?

Lenny

I BELIEVE THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE WANTING TO PLAY PROMOTERS ARE TRYING TO KEEP EVERYONE HAPPY,

PERSONALLY I WOULD HAVE LESS DJ`S AND GIVE THEM LONGER SLOTS,

GOTTA TRUST THEY CAN GET THE CROWD GOING AND KNOWING THEY HAVE A LONG PLAY SLOT MUST GET THEM BUZZING AND THAT CAN ONLY BE GOOD.

Social source share

I BELIEVE THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE WANTING TO PLAY PROMOTERS ARE TRYING TO KEEP EVERYONE HAPPY,

PERSONALLY I WOULD HAVE LESS DJ`S AND GIVE THEM LONGER SLOTS,

GOTTA TRUST THEY CAN GET THE CROWD GOING AND KNOWING THEY HAVE A LONG PLAY SLOT MUST GET THEM BUZZING AND THAT CAN ONLY BE GOOD.

the only people the promoters should be making happy is the paying customer, not their mates with a dj set. Unfortunately too much of this these days :thumbsup:

Social source share

Tell me about it, you really need 90mins. The trouble is many promoters have promised so many mates a set or people who put them on somewhere else it gets silly.

so very true dave

i get people asking for a spot all the time

its nice to get people wanting to play at my event bt as i only do 5 or 6 a year its hard work fitting everyone in

theres a lot of...ill give you a spot if you give me one these days

i try to give guest dj,s two spots wherever possible 1 x 30 and 1 x 45

if time allows then it may turn into 2 x 45

moldie

Social source share

This old chestnut has been a bone of contention for me for sometime, 30 minute sets waste of time, what? you can play about 12 records, 45 minutes not much better maybe 15 records if your lucky, an hour if you're on a buzzing spot can also fly past all too quickly, 90 minutes is the real deal for me, you can really get into it and if there were perhaps less DJ's on at some events this could be worked in, get them to do longer sets, play to their potential, give it some thought and a little depth...oh and a decent fee....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

This old chestnut has been a bone of contention for me for sometime, 30 minute sets waste of time, what? you can play about 12 records, 45 minutes not much better maybe 15 records if your lucky, an hour if you're on a buzzing spot can also fly past all too quickly, 90 minutes is the real deal for me, you can really get into it and if there were perhaps less DJ's on at some events this could be worked in, get them to do longer sets, play to their potential, give it some thought and a little depth...oh and a decent fee....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE,

BY THE WAY HOW MUCH DO DJ`S GET NOWADAYS ?

AND ARE THEY WORTH THERE FEES ?

WHAT ABOUT UP AND COMING YOUNG DJ`S ?

ARE`NT THEY THE FUTURE ?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

theres a lot of...ill give you a spot if you give me one these days

moldie

personally i'd never accept a booking if i was only getting it cos they played at my club , and people who try and intimate that to me are highly unlikely to get booked in the first place .

as for fees , i think promoters need to be transparent about what the dj's will get for the gig , i am, and i would like other to do the same . also it shouldn't matter how many people come in the do , as a promoter you take the risk that if your do is empty then you pay it ...easy as that

Davie

Social source share

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE,

BY THE WAY HOW MUCH DO DJ`S GET NOWADAYS ?

AND ARE THEY WORTH THERE FEES ?

WHAT ABOUT UP AND COMING YOUNG DJ`S ?

ARE`NT THEY THE FUTURE ?

What do you think a DJ is worth?

Up and coming, no disrespect but a Dj should be judged on what he (or she) has to offer, experience and knowledge also has a big part to play. You shouldn't a set just cause your young.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

as for fees , i think promoters need to be transparent about what the dj's will get for the gig , i am, and i would like other to do the same . also it shouldn't matter how many people come in the do , as a promoter you take the risk that if your do is empty then you pay it ...easy as that

Davie

in total agreement

i agree a fee with the dj,s before each event

if not enough people come through the door then its up to me to put my hand in my pocket

luckily our soul nite is in credit so we had no probs so far

like to get you down here davie but by time you got here the event would be over

moldie

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Davie

in total agreement

i agree a fee with the dj,s before each event

if not enough people come through the door then its up to me to put my hand in my pocket

luckily our soul nite is in credit so we had no probs so far

like to get you down here davie but by time you got here the event would be over

moldie

as long as it's not a ploy to play at mine lolol

Up and coming, no disrespect but a Dj should be judged on what he (or she) has to offer, . You shouldn't a set just cause your young.

absolutely and i'd back the above statement to the hilt .... i edited out the bits i didn't agree 100% with lolol

Davie

Social source share

Up and coming, no disrespect but a Dj should be judged on what he (or she) has to offer, experience and knowledge also has a big part to play. You shouldn't a set just cause your young.

DO YOU NOT AGREE THOUGH THAT SOME DJ`S CHARGE FORTUNES AND JUSTIFY THAT,

BUT SOME JUST PLAY THE PRICE OF THE TUNE WITHOUT REGARD OF WHO`S DANCING OR NOT, AS LONG AS A DJ KNOWS HOW TO WORK THE CROWD IT DONT MATTER HOW OLD OR FAMOUS THEY ARE OR HOW EXPENSIVE THIER COLLECTION IS.

IT REALLY IS AN EXPENSIVE BUSINESS AND PRICE DONT GARAUNTEE PACKED FLOORS.

Social source share

Here's a thought, give everyone 90mins. Trust me the bad DJ's will soon be found out, it then comes down to 100% ability. What I mean by that is; a strong enough box of records that will last that long and the ability to react to the floor, keep people happy and suprise them. It then isn't about big check books, playing the same records as everyone else, but talent and inventiveness.

How do young DJ's then come through. Start off at smaller local do's, or again maybe a different approach; how about some older DJ's acting as mentors, let them work with you in your sets. Happen to me many years ago in my local area. Even used to do it at the very early Yate niters. Bob Mean would let me spin for a while in his set. Che my son has show some interest, so he tries a bit of mixing at home with me, is starting to get a fel for records he like, and has even mixed in a few records with me at a few events, he's doesn't want to be a super star tomorrow, he just thinks it's fun.

Social source share

we like our guest DJ (that's just the one!) to either play 2 X 30 min slots (one early and one late) or to fit in with the two of us as residents on a 5 record rotation. this keeps us as residents playing a large chunk of the evening as we know our crowd best but allows a reasonable amount of different tracks to be played by our guest each month.

it does mean that there is less continuity with the music styles but thats a feature of our nights anyway ..... its all mixed up and works for us. it wouldn't for everyone i'm sure.

as for payment ..... well, we generally go for a fixed package. £100 + free beer + we can put DJ's up if we need to. in some cases, where necessary we've paid a bit of extra travelling expenses. not sure how this relates to most soul nights but i think its a reasonable package. it must be difficult for promoters who have to pay 4 or 5 guests though.

Social source share

Here's a thought, give everyone 90mins. Trust me the bad DJ's will soon be found out, it then comes down to 100% ability. What I mean by that is; a strong enough box of records that will last that long and the ability to react to the floor, keep people happy and suprise them. It then isn't about big check books, playing the same records as everyone else, but talent and inventiveness.

How do young DJ's then come through. Start off at smaller local do's, or again maybe a different approach; how about some older DJ's acting as mentors, let them work with you in your sets. Happen to me many years ago in my local area. Even used to do it at the very early Yate niters. Bob Mean would let me spin for a while in his set. Che my son has show some interest, so he tries a bit of mixing at home with me, is starting to get a fel for records he like, and has even mixed in a few records with me at a few events, he's doesn't want to be a super star tomorrow, he just thinks it's fun.

I RECENTLY WENT TO A NORTHERN SOUL/SIXTIES DO IN KENT CALLED THE KENTSOULCLUB AND THERE WAS A DJ THERE I HAD NEVER HEARD OF BUT BELIEVE ME HE WAS AWSOME AND ALTHOUGH I MISSED THE LAST ONE I WILL BE GOING TO THE NEXT AS I FOUND OUT BY THE FLYER THAT HE IS A RESIDENT DJ THERE AND I RECCOMEND YOU ALL TO SEE THIS FELLA FOR YOURSELVES HE LOOKS YOUNG AND FRESH BUT DONT ASK WHICH ONE HE IS BECAUSE I DONT KNOW, HE WERE`NT AFRAID TO MIX THE TUNES UP BUT HE GOT IT SO RIGHT THE FLOOR WAS RAMMED SOLID WITH APPLAUSE LIKE I NEVER SEEN BEFORE WHEN HE FINISHED HIS SET.

WHAT IM SAYING IS THAT THIS DJ SEEMED TO PLAY FOR THE CROWD NOT THE PURIST OR TRYING TO IMPRESS ANYONE WITH RARE SOUNDS TO PROVE HE MAY HAVE A EXPENSIVE COLLECTION, FOR ME IT WAS SOOOO REFRESHING.

:lol::thumbsup::lol::D

Social source share

Lenny

I`ve found that 30 minuite spots work well if it works on a rotation throughout the night with all the guys that are dj`n,though I`d play all night if given the chance...............I`d be a bit miffed Lenny if I`d been booked to play and was only given 45 mins,I think the promoters have over booked dj`s if 45 mins is all they`re getting to play.

Social source share

Guest espo

Here's a thought, give everyone 90mins. Trust me the bad DJ's will soon be found out, it then comes down to 100% ability. What I mean by that is; a strong enough box of records that will last that long and the ability to react to the floor, keep people happy and suprise them. It then isn't about big check books, playing the same records as everyone else, but talent and inventivness

Absolutely spot on-----half hour spots just seem to bail out bad d.j.s------sometimes they work,they seem to stop a night from being killed off by a piss poor d.j. with no idea how to turn it around.

90 minute spots are graft--- only ever done two of them myself but the head was well battered at the end.

As for younger d.j.s---if theyre good enough theyll get booked (Karl Rhodes springs to mind)--- nobody has a god given right to d.j.---its something that has to be worked at

Steve

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

Lenny

Hi Lenny

I personaly think (as i`ve said in previous posts) that I would prefare DJs to play for 90mins. For all the above reason, & my observations over the last few years. Now I know im not a DJ so im sure if im off the mark here they`ll let me know (Mace heheh)

If I was a DJ (stop it Mace LOL) I would approach my spot as "fullfilling a job" so I would break it down, into "timings"

1. Preparing to carry out the the task ....... which is getting the records together before I get to the venue (yes DJs I know you do this)

2. Carrying out the task .... now this is the tricky bit, we all know that "atmosphere" plays a part in a night out. So how do you prepare for this ? .... DJs need to be there well before thier time, so that they can if they need make changes to "play list" (I use that as a general marker) also for me as a punter, it naffs me off hearing a record more than once in a night, as a promter it naffs me aswell, as I get earache off the punter.

3.Setting up ..... takes time. So if we look at say 10/15mins for a DJ to settle into "playing" this is taking it down to 30/45mins

4. The job itself (here goes the fireworks) well I believe DJs are there .......

firstly ..... to entertain the people who are paying thier wages, the punter,

secondly ..... to the promoter whose obligation is to "ensure the punter is a happy punter" because if we dont then they wont come back & we wont make the money to pay the DJs for doing thier "job" (DJs as with promoters, record dealers ect may do it "for love" but ultimetly they want dosh for the job they have done, & so that they can continue)

Now once behind the decks .... the job begins .... & as with any job thier can be "varients" that will affect what you do next. So you have to be prepared to swop/change (again) your list to suit the punters & atmosphere & this all takes planning & time. Which must be frustrating aswell as exciting, for Djs. But if your swopping/changing again & again to keep "us" happy when are the Djs going to slip in the ones you want to play, for your "satisfaction" & to give the punter something new if you only have an 45/60mins ???

So im all for Djs doing 90mims

Wigan Nighter

I will give you the reason we decided to do that.

Firstly ... The night had been planned for another venue, which in total we had 22 dj hrs & 24 djs booked (2 where doubling up) now we had made a commitment to those Djs by booking them to work for us (& get paid) so we wanted to honour our commitment to them in the best way we could. We contacted djs & gave them the news of change in venue, but also to give them the option of "playing or not" some choose not to play, some couldnt due to thier circumstances.

But for those that did want to play, we explained the situation of 45mins & they choose to do that.

We honoured our commitment to them.

Secondly ... We had planned a surprise party for Steve Whittle, which we had to cancel due to his personal circumstances, now Steve has worked for us many times, & has given his support to Chris & I unquestionably (never mind the continous work he has done for the scene) we saw an opportuinty in his own town (if Steve & Julie wanted) where we all could say ...

"thank you Steve & Julie for the continuos work you have done for the scene for ALOT of years, & we will miss you"

Steve & Julie decided that they would like that to happen so we then rearranged times. & we feel very privaledged that we were able to do this small thing for a man who has had an positive impact on the this scene.

So though I totaly agree with you Lenny on "times" even though this didnt happen on this occassion

I make no apologies for NC honouring our commitment to the Djs,

but also for being able to honour Steve Whittle DJ

Marcelle & Chris

(ps I know your not having a go at us)

Social source share

Certainly wasn't having a go Marcelle it was just an example of what i've seen lately, interesting feedback from my original post, on a personal note I feel that after about 30-40 minutes playing discs I just get to feel what the punters want but having said that doing two 45 minute spots is ok by me, I think you can try something a little bit fresh during the first one to put the feelers out on how the crowd reacts to them then make up your mind what you want to play for the second half, as for payment you won't be able to retire on your earnings up here in Scotland! :yes::yes:

Lenny

Social source share

Guest Marcelle

Certainly wasn't having a go Marcelle it was just an example of what i've seen lately, interesting feedback from my original post, on a personal note I feel that after about 30-40 minutes playing discs I just get to feel what the punters want but having said that doing two 45 minute spots is ok by me, I think you can try something a little bit fresh during the first one to put the feelers out on how the crowd reacts to them then make up your mind what you want to play for the second half, as for payment you won't be able to retire on your earnings up here in Scotland! :D:yes:

Lenny

I know you were not having a go Lenny thats why I put a ps. :yes:

The question you asked is a valid question, & one i`ve been asking people since I hitched up with a promoter. (prior to that as a punter I honestly didnt realy give it much thought)

As Wigan was mentioned & there are people who may have assumed that we did that without any thought I wanted to clarify that its certaintly not what we do normaly.

I hadnt thought about x2 45mins spots & the reasons for doing this, but totaly agree with you, it would make alot of sense to do this for everybody I know Chris has had our resident Djs do that at some of our venues.

RETIRE on earnings ... ha not bloody likely as a promoter either :D:yes:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

as for payment you won't be able to retire on your earnings up here in Scotland! :yes::yes:

Lenny

yer right there .... at basics i think we pay more than the average , well more than i've been paid on the soul scene anyway lol

Social source share

From a dancer's point of view, no problem with dj's having 45 min spot so long as they get 2 set's an early and later one, a 30 min spot no good to dj or dancer's and 90 min could make for quite a flat set all in one go. :yes:

The best option's IMO are either a 60 min spot or 2 x 45 min set's. Above all one of the most important thing's is to be there from the beginning if possible and take notice of record's played in previous set's. Show's you've taken an interest in other's and not just your own spot. :yes:

Karen

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

From a dancer's point of view, no problem with dj's having 45 min spot so long as they get 2 set's an early and later one, a 30 min spot no good to dj or dancer's and 90 min could make for quite a flat set all in one go. :yes:

The best option's IMO are either a 60 min spot or 2 x 45 min set's. Above all one of the most important thing's is to be there from the beginning if possible and take notice of record's played in previous set's. Show's you've taken an interest in other's and not just your own spot. :yes:

Karen

very well put , and it shows respect for the punters and promoter too . seen so many dj's turning up in time for their own spots recently

Davie

Social source share

Lenny

==========

Are you talking about well known established DJ's who's general music policy is known? Would you give 2 45 min spots or a 90 min spot to someone you didn't know? What if he/she isn't any good does that not reflect on the promoter?

Winnie :-)

Social source share

Guest Baz

==========

Are you talking about well known established DJ's who's general music policy is known? Would you give 2 45 min spots or a 90 min spot to someone you didn't know? What if he/she isn't any good does that not reflect on the promoter?

Winnie :-)

Surley the promoter wouldn't book a DJ if they didn't know what they could 'offer' :yes:

Social source share

Well said .... and i agree.

But there's also the other side of the coin .... every body has their favourite DJ ....and their least favourite DJ .... 90 minutes of someone you're not keen on ..... not nice..... could kill a niter for some folk i think.

Also there's the fact that with DJ's getting 90 minutes each ..... a lot of DJs won't be getting any minutes at all .... and i think that would be a shame .... although ... maybe sometimes a blessing. :yes:

What's wrong 60 minute spots anyway .... worked well enough till now ... don't you think?

Social source share

Well said .... and i agree.

But there's also the other side of the coin .... every body has their favourite DJ ....and their least favourite DJ .... 90 minutes of someone you're not keen on ..... not nice..... could kill a niter for some folk i think.

Also there's the fact that with DJ's getting 90 minutes each ..... a lot of DJs won't be getting any minutes at all .... and i think that would be a shame .... although ... maybe sometimes a blessing. :wicked:

What's wrong 60 minute spots anyway .... worked well enough till now ... don't you think?

Joan I`d let you play all night :thumbsup:

Social source share

It must be a nightmare for a quality DJ.

Iv'e been trying to narrow down a playlist nearly every night for the last three weeks & I have only just got it to fit a 90min spot.

Daft thing is, on the night i will probably end up not playing half of em'.

Still good fun doing it though!

Edited by B-side-B
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

It is simple less DJ's but they play for longer ie a typical 8.30 - 1.30 night with say 1 and half hour spots. That's 3 good DJ's a night. Maybe sometimes the first DJ always being someone new who comes into DJ on the scene. But can i also say why does anyone new DJ have to be based on what he/she has got in terms of say tracks or how they play the floor. Can't they just play Northern soul and get on with it and if people dance to it so be it. I guess it's the fact some would say oh you played a song that's not been played for years or we don't care for it now. If i DJ'ed i would play basically anything that is Northern be it Alfie Davidson, Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself or whatever as long as you all like Northern and come to here but then many of you might start leaving saying crap DJ and you can't be true fans if you don't listen to it all

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!