Hey Mate Can't You Play Something Decent Like

I was deejaying on Saturday night at one of our regular venues in Jersey when this lovely young lady (I say young, she was under 50, so that qualifies these days) complained about what I was playing ( The Montereys on Arwin) and asked me to play something good. I said "like what?" and she says "oh you know - i'm just a pebble on the beach something good like that. My initial thought was what the f**k and then I twigged it. I told my dj accomplice and we pissed ourselves.

It reminded me of an incident many years ago when I was in the UK and deejayed for Rudzi at the Leicester soul club. This chap (he was drunk at the time) asked me to play The Beetroot Song. I naturally told him to F**k off but he persisted and started singing it to me. I eventually sussed that he was singing The Dalton Boys - I've been Cheated - V.I.P. (you need to listen to it again).

Anyone else had similar bizarre record titles thrown at them???

Frosty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was once doin a spot playing underplayed oldies semi knowns , and some twat asked if we could stop playing that American stuff and play some proper northern soul " you know the stuff they made in Wigan " he actually believed it was wrote produced etc there ripped the piss out off him

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I do a regular bar gig once a month with a friend its not big deal, nice easy vibe & just allows us to give our records an airing. Anyway, a couple walk in and stand there for a while (archetypical soulies who I think got the wrong idea about what we were doing because, as i said, its a very causal city-centre affair).

They stood by the door and then eventually the woman walks up and says are you going to play any northern. I looked at the deck and I was playing "The Exits - Gotta have Money". though ok, I see, I'll give them a few of what they want... i even played EDWIN STARR - TIME...they left after a drink, giving me a really disappointed look, that look an older person gives a younger person to insinuate "you don't know what you are doing".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I do a regular bar gig once a month with a friend its not big deal, nice easy vibe & just allows us to give our records an airing. Anyway, a couple walk in and stand there for a while (archetypical soulies who I think got the wrong idea about what we were doing because, as i said, its a very causal city-centre affair).

They stood by the door and then eventually the woman walks up and says are you going to play any northern. I looked at the deck and I was playing "The Exits - Gotta have Money". though ok, I see, I'll give them a few of what they want... i even played EDWIN STARR - TIME...they left after a drink, giving me a really disappointed look, that look an older person gives a younger person to insinuate "you don't know what you are doing".

I have to say I know that look, I have been cultivating it for years, I take it with me to every soul night.

Frosty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hilarious topic! Everytime I DJ out I get some bizarre request. Unfortunately not with bizarre titles because most of the people making requests in Sweden have not heard any northern soul or r'n'b at all, and the ones that do know their titles (unless plagued with temporary memory loss as I am every time I try to talk about a specific record with a fellow soulie at a nighter...).

Social source share

..my story is really the reverse..back in the late 70's..i had a regular Saturady gig playing northern soul (some chart) at the Chuck Wagon in Skegness..it was very popular so a local club owner at a country club gave me the job there on a Sunday night..he thought i'd be playing disco etc..so i fed in plenty of northern in the guise as new releases or 'will be out next week'..using the Supremes,Tramps,James Brown,Al Green,anything i could use a s a cover up artist name..got away with it for three weeks then..adios..fave was playing Lillie Bryant as Diana Ross.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

back in 70,s , Tiffs Halifax , monday night ( N.S night) couple of pissed up normaltons came in and .......wait for it !.....asked for some SHOWADDYWADDY!

i shit you not , poor things they picked a time when we were all very young and hot tempered , needless to say more than there ego was bruised .

if you dont believe me ask Dave leedham as he was first one in :yes::wicked:

Social source share

"Ere mate - have you got...."

"Contrast by Edwin Starr"

"Spirally by Ce Ce Pedastal"

"Tooth-ache" (True Faith and Final Cut)

"Pea's, Pie, Pudding in my Mind" (The Bucketheads)

"Sea-lions Ten Feet Tall" - Sweeter Than the Day Before - The Valentinos (do it, it works)

Social source share

Here's one for you, on the sunday soul do I run in sheffield! some one complained "saying the the djs where not playing northern soul! and" he should know his Russ invented northern soul"

well there you go! the wonder's of drink :thumbup:

Social source share

funny one was when a mate was asked for some techno so i played sliced tomatos as rockafella skank instrumental and they enjoyed it

reminds me when i was djing in a nite club playing house trance and all that shit was playing rockafella skank they were all jumping up and down blowing whistles and waveing glow sticks so i mixed in sliced tomatos the dicks heads never even noticed just kepted on dancing

Social source share

Have you got:

It Is Hard - Greg Perry

The Fish and Chips song (Baby That's A Groove - Roy Handy)

The Closer You Get (I Get The Sweetest Feeling - Jackie Wilson)

...and spare a thought for the twat whose sole education was the "Nite Life" bootleg LP, and asked for...

That's How Much I Love You - The Professionals

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!