Are Younger Soul D.j's Important?

While i do take on board james and baz very valid points about younger djs,have you ever stopped to think that maybe promoters like myself may not want to be promoting in 10 yrs time.My nites are doing fine just as they are,and yes 90% of my djs are off the older well established big names but as you know james we are giveing regular spots to the younger end.The change in the scene will have to come i completely agree with you on that but this isnt europe and it will have to come slower than maybe you would like,and good as some of the younger lads are maybe a couple of the old boys are still better imho.For a lot of people on the scene it has been a lifetime trip so try and bear that in mind,if you want it change stick at it as a lot of the top djs of today have had to ,and who knows james in 10 yrs you could be kev roberts :wicked: ,and just to finish james apologies for forgetting your booking[must be old age]and i can assure you you werent booked to advertise my nites or bring a few with you,i book djs young or old because i thimk they will suit soultown :thumbsup: .

Social source share

• Replies 82
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest claude rains

Great post James.

just want to nit pick a little.

IMO a good DJ responds to the floor, and can dictate only to a certain extent EXACTLY what is going to be played. If you go into an event and decide this is getting played and cant deviate according to the crowd, thats a DJ failing rather than the actual music.

The reason why Sam and Butch get so many plaudits is they can introduce records at the right time, and eventually they get into our heads.

If someone I didnt know, was playing a record I didnt know (or particularly like) and they were telling me I was wrong over the mic, I think my shoulders would go back and from then on hate every tune played, even if I loved it.

The difference between being a good dj, and having a good collection is huge.

And BTW a lot of the Stafford classics of today were recieved by pretty empty dancefloors, because quite often the crowd wasnt to busy. Keb for example would also know when to say 'dance you #####s'. it wouldnt often be following 'first time out anywhere'.

Yeah spot on mike.

If people who dj have enough conviction in what they play and not compromise by taking chances, then these are the people to watch.

Theres people like Butch, Soul Sam , dean anderson, gilly, kitch, terry jones to name some of the people with very good ears for a top tune that has longevity.

I think that if a dj plays records that make people dance, take chances with their set in a progressive manner, then they are doing their job.

On the other hand if your getting spots based ONLY on the fact you happen to run a soul night, then the music will never progressive, hands in pockets ,conflicting interests, etc..

At the end of the day if its a good record what ever era or price, PLAY IT. Be judged by the punters not your ego, as I always say it takes passion to collect records, but not all collectors can dj.

If I didn't ever get asked to dj again I would still collect records.

Some people ask me know not how does the record sound, but how much is it worth.

The value of some records to me is far above their price and some £1000 records I wouldn't pay a fiver for.

We need less people with the same shopping list of big records and little more originality and courage to occasionally clear the floor.

Oh dear am ranting yet again, should of learnt my lesson from the matrix thread I foolishly started.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

==========

But Chalky you're effectively telling new/younger DJ that he/she will not be accepted onto DJ rosters if they play established sounds. To me that's enforcing the closed shop mentality, and also accepts that promoters can tell any DJ anywhere, what to play. Sorry don't agree with that philosophy.

Winnie;-)

I'm not saying that at all Winston, my point is the younger DJ's aren't going to play anything that is or has already been played by older more experienced DJ's, more often than not any new record that isn't in the hands of the top djs has more than likely been rejected by these as not good enough. These more experienced DJ's also have most of the contacts on the scene, that is not something that happens over night either and they are highly unlilkely to share these contacts.

All I'm saying is why swap like for like, something different is what is need not some youngster playing oldies. I also wouldn't tell anyone what to play, I would book a DJ on his/her ability and what is in their play box and there ain't that many young ones out there right now who can move the older ones at the top of the tree out of the way, in fact there ain't any IMHO to nudge the likes of Butch, Andy Dyson, Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn etc out of the way. No disrespect to anyone intended with that comment but that is how I see the state of the scene right now.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

We need less people with the same shopping list of big records and little more originality and courage to occasionally clear the floor.

Ranting or not I reckon you are dead right about that bit especially.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'm not saying that at all Winston, my point is the younger DJ's aren't going to play anything that is or has already been played by older more experienced DJ's, more often than not any new record that isn't in the hands of the top djs has more than likely been rejected by these as not good enough. These more experienced DJ's also have most of the contacts on the scene, that is not something that happens over night either and they are highly unlilkely to share these contacts.

All I'm saying is why swap like for like, something different is what is need not some youngster playing oldies. I also wouldn't tell anyone what to play, I would book a DJ on his/her ability and what is in their play box and there ain't that many young ones out there right now who can move the older ones at the top of the tree out of the way, in fact there ain't any IMHO to nudge the likes of Butch, Andy Dyson, Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn etc out of the way. No disrespect to anyone intended with that comment but that is how I see the state of the scene right now.

Can't disagree with that. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Chalky you're being a bit of hypocrit. You say that new/young DJs shouldn't play 'established sounds', but in the same breath you are telling them what to play. Listen to yourself man! :thumbsup:

Chalky also says young DJs are not important because they 'might have kids' or 'have a career'. You are joking, right? If that is your arguement then 'old' or 'established' DJs are not important because they will be dead or retired in a few years. Sort it out Chalky! :wicked:

I assume I am put in the bracket of 'new DJ' or 'young DJ'? If I am then my experience is perhaps relevent?

I wouldn't tell anyone what to play but what is the point of another, even if he or she is younger, DJ playing played out established sounds, none at all IMO.

I also said what happens when a family or career dictates their life, will they still be part of this scene, travelling up and down the country? I doubt it very much, and if that is the case then they aren't important to the future of the scene, the scene needs soulies who will be in it for the long term, not just a few years.

I didn't put you in any bracket, never really thought of anyone in particular to be honest.

Social source share

Guest claude rains

Ranting or not I reckon you are dead right about that bit especially.

Hi Stuart

My nemesis returns!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Baz

have you ever stopped to think that maybe promoters like myself may not want to be promoting in 10 yrs time.

Lets hope the Soultown banner can still be run along with things like the 100 club, Lifeline, Keele (which does attract a number of younger soulies) past the promoters 'retirment' 10/20 years from now :wicked: because they are not just 'event names' as long as the club still runs with its original out look from the promoters they will be the ones that can continue the loningtivity of the scene :ohmy:

At the end of the day if its a good record what ever era or price, PLAY IT. Be judged by the punters not your ego, as I always say it takes passion to collect records, but not all collectors can dj.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

While i do take on board james and baz very valid points about younger djs,have you ever stopped to think that maybe promoters like myself may not want to be promoting in 10 yrs time.My nites are doing fine just as they are,and yes 90% of my djs are off the older well established big names but as you know james we are giveing regular spots to the younger end.The change in the scene will have to come i completely agree with you on that but this isnt europe and it will have to come slower than maybe you would like,and good as some of the younger lads are maybe a couple of the old boys are still better imho.For a lot of people on the scene it has been a lifetime trip so try and bear that in mind,if you want it change stick at it as a lot of the top djs of today have had to ,and who knows james in 10 yrs you could be kev roberts :( ,and just to finish james apologies for forgetting your booking[must be old age]and i can assure you you werent booked to advertise my nites or bring a few with you,i book djs young or old because i thimk they will suit soultown :wicked: .

LOL! :D I'd like to see myself as more of a Ginger Taylor character in 20 years time, I think a big belly and northern accent would suit me :( "James Trouble's Northern Soul Picnic" :D

And I agree with you Andy regarding other points, read my post again and you will realise what I am getting at. Firstly younger/new DJs are irrelevent when playing to oldies crowds, as Chalky says you are better having an experienced oldies DJ doing that. And yes, you certainly do support alot of new names at Soultown, probably more than any other large venue promoter I'd say? :ohmy: But in relevence to the question, how important are the 'new names' to your promotion? I'd say not very? Because in answer to the question that started this post, young DJs are not really that important, basically. :thumbsup:

What is needed are interesting and exciting sets, played regardless of age.

Silly question really, and I can't believe how much I wrote. I must have been REALLY bored this morning. :(

Social source share

As a point of interest compare this to Europe. In Europe where the crowd has no 'history', no preconception about what 'northern soul' is, or whether a record is 'upfront', 'oldie', rnb, crossover, funk etc etc. They just dance to records because of what they are hearing. If it is good they dance, whether they know it or not, if it is shite they clear the dance floor, whether they know the record or not. This is very satisfying for a DJ, because you can play a set free of the shackles of history and preconception and scene politics. It's great fun and very satisfying.

While this music is being played to a young crowd of music loving clubbers we can hold hope of a future for the "northern soul scene" as we know it now but it is important that we embrace a younger crowd ASAP and then the question about "young DJs being important" will be relevent, but not until this new younger crowd is embraced by the promoters. It's got to be done soon, because the dance floor and atmosphere at soul events is still exciting and vibrant, but in 5 years time I can't see any hope unless new dancers are attracted soon :wicked: Forget amphetasoul, it'll be zimmersoul.

All in my humble opinion of course.

I agree with you about our friends in Europe, have said it myself in the past but we are in the UK and it will never be like Europe, well maybe in a few years we will have smaller crowds and can throw in all genres to everyones (well mosts) approval but that will take years and by then the scene will be so small it won't be worth bothering with and most of us will be too old to give a f*ck anymore :thumbsup:

Neither wil the city centre veniues be the saviour. The clubbers will drift away as they get older, they don't care about the music like we did and indeed still do. They just want a good time, something they will get anywhere. The nighter scene is what the scene is all about and nthat is slowly dwindliong. once that is gone most folk won't travel far at all.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

What is needed are interesting and exciting sets, played regardless of age.

Silly question really, and I can't believe how much I wrote. I must have been REALLY bored this morning. :ohmy:

I agree 110% about the comment above, age doesn't matter as long as the DJ does the business :thumbsup:

Bored! you need to get a proper job :wicked::(

Social source share

Guest Baz

there ain't that many young ones out there right now who can move the older ones at the top of the tree out of the way, in fact there ain't any IMHO to nudge the likes of Butch, Andy Dyson, Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn etc out of the way.

Cant disagree with that, dont think there will ever be any one to do that either :wicked: Saying that Think the only one who could come close is James once he's fully established, because amoungs the contacts and ear for a tune the like of who you mention above are trusted DJ's and the crowd puts there trust for a good tune into them, and that can take along time to gain trust of a crowd :ohmy:

However if they are at the top of the tree and i were to give em a whack with my lightsaber, im sure they would topple :thumbsup:

Social source share

To be honest this old dj young dj debate has been running as long as the scene its all relevant in the long run,the scene needs younger and exciteing djs but in order to get them heard a promoter must get people through the door and to do that in large nos you need the big names.As chalky says niters are the lifeblood of the scene if we let them die all this dj debate will be irrelevant.My point was james that promoters such as myself may not be looking that far in the future which is why we use mainly the cream of the crop sam mr dyson butch etc,so in the long run it will be upto the likes of you and baz and belive me it a shitty job :thumbsup: .

Social source share

Guest Baz

To be honest this old dj young dj debate has been running as long as the scene its all relevant in the long run,the scene needs younger and exciteing djs but in order to get them heard a promoter must get people through the door and to do that in large nos you need the big names.As chalky says niters are the lifeblood of the scene if we let them die all this dj debate will be irrelevant.My point was james that promoters such as myself may not be looking that far in the future which is why we use mainly the cream of the crop sam mr dyson butch etc,so in the long run it will be upto the likes of you and baz and belive me it a shitty job :ohmy: .

It really is quite pointless dscution end of the day If someones can cut the mustard they'll get booking erelivant of young/old/male/femal/cow or parrot........seen a few sheep DJing befor though :thumbsup:

More important is Do we need younger Dancers...........Big time :wicked:

Social source share

It really is quite pointless dscution end of the day If someones can cut the mustard they'll get booking erelivant of young/old/male/femal/cow or parrot........seen a few sheep DJing befor though :thumbsup:

More important is Do we need younger Dancers...........Big time :wicked:

I think younger dancers are far more important, something we are never going to get in the numbers to sustain this scene for another 40 odd years :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think younger dancers are far more important, something we are never going to get in the numbers to sustain this scene for another 40 odd years :wicked:

I agree about the dancers being more important. Sod this positive discrimination for DJs because of age nonsense.

But I disagree about not being able to get new dancers along to nights, a few London promoters need to get themselfs to Andy Smith's night at the Jazz Cafe and Lost And Found @ Jo Jo's and get chatting to the people there and give out some flyers for London events. Just an idea :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

To be honest this old dj young dj debate has been running as long as the scene its all relevant in the long run,the scene needs younger and exciteing djs but in order to get them heard a promoter must get people through the door and to do that in large nos you need the big names.As chalky says niters are the lifeblood of the scene if we let them die all this dj debate will be irrelevant.My point was james that promoters such as myself may not be looking that far in the future which is why we use mainly the cream of the crop sam mr dyson butch etc,so in the long run it will be upto the likes of you and baz and belive me it a shitty job :ohmy: .

Totally with you, you know I understand some of the finer points about running events :thumbsup: Read between the lines of my post and you will see I agree. "Youth" has never and should never be a prerequisite for being a DJ, end of story. And in many ways "youth" is a major problem when DJing to an "oldies" crowd as it is impossible to understand the history and politics that are attached to alot of the records without being about 79 years old. And as Chalky says, for a "new DJ" (not a young DJ, but a NEW DJ) to be worth booking at a big allnighter they have to be able to offer somthing a little bit different to what is already on offer by the already established DJs. But that in itself needs the support of promoters like Andy, because it is very hard to 'break' somthing a little bit different on the UK soul scene without the full backing of big promotions. Thankfully the likes of Soultown and Lifeline are looking to give us somthign a little bit different to the norm, so it's all good and this is a pointless debate and I've wasted at least 2 hours today typing. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I agree about the dancers being more important. Sod this positive discrimination for DJs because of age nonsense.

But I disagree about not being able to get new dancers along to nights, a few London promoters need to get themselfs to Andy Smith's night at the Jazz Cafe and Lost And Found @ Jo Jo's and get chatting to the people there and give out some flyers for London events. Just an idea :wicked:

I did flyer Andy Smith's before the first solid hit soul (I think I upset Mean Fiddler by putting our flyers in front of all of theirs, a complete row of them for a while). Probably got a few through the door but the Jazz Cafe wasn't exactly packed with people I'd never seen before. I think we're flogging a dead horse and unless something out of our control happens, like Kate Moss or some teen idol getting into northern the scene may gradually fade away, with maybe a small blip where perhaps the people around my age group (21 of course) who aren't about at present come back for one last fling. But I'm not holding my breath. :ohmy:

It needs people under 30 to promote to people under 25. Even you're washed up now James! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Baz

I think younger dancers are far more important, something we are never going to get in the numbers to sustain this scene for another 40 odd years :ohmy:

Unfortunately true, the local 'We got soul' i go to in wellingborough was perfect, a out of the way up todate club venue that was starting to attract a whole manner of ages, oldies, newies, R&B, Funk and 'dance floor' soul, unfortunately like all clubs like that shut down forcing it into a room upstairs a working mens club, how ever the last two months have seen a group of around 20 lads and lass's around the age of 18, coming up and they are loving it :thumbsup: its just a crying shame how they are met with comments from other soulies :angry: (but thats another thread all in tis self) there very well behaved and genuinly love the music on offer, lets hope they keep coming back :wicked:

Social source share

The scene will die sooner or later, that's all there is to it. This constant young DJ debate is just soo boring. Thankfully I am now old myself so I don't have to care anymore. We put on our club in Gotheburg, On The Real Side Soul Club, for the last time this Saturday. The whole soul thing has just run out of steam and feels stale and meaningless, it doesn't exactly 'get anywhere'. It's a bit like unrequited love, you only have so much patience.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The scene will die sooner or later, that's all there is to it. This constant young DJ debate is just soo boring. Thankfully I am now old myself so I don't have to care anymore. We put on our club in Gotheburg, On The Real Side Soul Club, for the last time this Saturday. The whole soul thing has just run out of steam and feels stale and meaningless, it doesn't exactly 'get anywhere'. It's a bit like unrequited love, you only have so much patience.

Bloody hell Christian, I'm all depressed now, hasn't summer arrived over there yet? :yes:

But picking up on this, perhaps we should just give up fussing and just get on with enjoying what we have got? blush.gif

Social source share

Guest Baz

But picking up on this, perhaps we should just give up fussing and just get on with enjoying what we have got? :yes:

But then what would we argue i mean 'discuss' about :P

Right of to Lifeline to play a set full of boots blush.gif

Social source share

Have to agree that this subject is boring. And pointless, as well! There will still be a soul scene. Evolution (or revolution) will happen. The clubs that are playing the wide array of styles will will be the "doorway" to keep bringing in the younger crowd. Give them a little more support and I think you'll be surprised how many people "drift" towards the Northern scene....

Enough of the "Chicken Little" mentality("The soul scene is dying!! The soul scene is dying!!) as well.....

As for the younger DJ's, patronising them is only going to be bad in the long run. As an example, I'm sure all the horrible singers you see on American Idol were told by someone they were good!! Don't lie to them! It'll only make them look foolish down the road.....

"rEvolution is inevitable......"

-Mike

Social source share

Totally with you, you know I understand some of the finer points about running events :P Read between the lines of my post and you will see I agree. "Youth" has never and should never be a prerequisite for being a DJ, end of story. And in many ways "youth" is a major problem when DJing to an "oldies" crowd as it is impossible to understand the history and politics that are attached to alot of the records without being about 79 years old. And as Chalky says, for a "new DJ" (not a young DJ, but a NEW DJ) to be worth booking at a big allnighter they have to be able to offer somthing a little bit different to what is already on offer by the already established DJs. But that in itself needs the support of promoters like Andy, because it is very hard to 'break' somthing a little bit different on the UK soul scene without the full backing of big promotions. Thankfully the likes of Soultown and Lifeline are looking to give us somthign a little bit different to the norm, so it's all good and this is a pointless debate and I've wasted at least 2 hours today typing. :D

No James you havent been wasting your time at all!

(BY THE WAY WHO ARE THE BOXERS?) Wished ide seen that fight! blush.gif

Presumably progressively older Djs have progressively Older Followers,Venues have a more progressively older regular clientel and the Scene sees that it really could do with and needs new blood?

The idea that a younger DJ may attract that new Soul to come to a venue dosent really hold that water,

and for those that do find there way there they are more than likely to build a CD collection.

Next up is what do the kids want on a night out-

Firstly they have dressed up to attract, Timeless-

They want to be seen and have a ball,again nothing changes,

They will down loads of booze as quick as possible as cheap as possible and do it where everybodys at!

And thats in the larger lately renovated pubs where theres loads of room,(Completely un pub traditional), Settees scattered around,a bit of a dancefloor ,Music from a guy not long out of school hitting the play button on a CD player of Tunes hes familiar with the Majority of which is oversampled drum machine Cak soulless and unrelenting but hey ho if thats what they want?? Do they know any different??Have they heard any different?

These are the Pub Clubs , later on the kids move to the Club proper for more of the same only at higher prices + entrance fees,But essentially to where everyone else is going!

Seems like whats really needed is for younger Soul orientated enthusiastic djs to Re break the records, the ones that they have found to like be it-

Jackie wilsons whispers / Edwin Starrs 00soul / Smokie Robinson Way over there, or full on Salvadors (but not Terrible Terrible Tom) to there own audiences and for the way THEY wish to dance to and enjoy the music.

If there are enthusiastic aspiring Soul Djs out there well that again says to me that the last 10 years+ of enforced Radio play drivvle (thats 2 Vs) and High volume pumping thump noise hasnt entirely floated there boat either and you may agree that in part your desire to play Soul Tunes is to give your audience something of you,

To have to contend with the establishment on the otherhand is a pretty tall order to attain to.

Education to others of what they have missed out on through absolutely no fault of there own seems to me a much more Grass roots and fullfilling approach to giving back the Soul, as has been said you have to give the punters what they want sure BUT do they have all the experience of variety to know what they want?

Or is it just whats been pumped out by the promoters of todays records?

Hip Hop,Drum and Bass Rap,Soulless sequenced Shittte "IS" a past its sell by date music and becoming more of a Fu88ibg joke by the minute i mean these musics were just right for Alchopops and Es and to think of a 40+oldie officinado Eeed up belting it out of his boombox motor in ten years has got to be sadder than us?

And what of todays POP chart ??? How much of it is going to become Classic??

Too much Manufactured idolotry ?? Wheres the underground gone and whats there when you find it???

And this is the crux of it in the past Dance Soul records were played regularly and Some listeners would be interested enough to search back for other Tunes opening up a wealth of treasures that many times have taken there breath away.Recordings that could stand up in a chart today but 40 years old!!!

This is not Kids music, the issues it tackles are still real and relative to everybody the musics just as true just as hard, Just as sorrowful, just as happy and just as painful as real life can be and the variety is awe inspiring- but whos listening?

We expect them to come to us perhaps We should go to them?

What was the Question :yes: Oh yeah who are the boxers James?

Edited by Mr M
Social source share

Have to agree that this subject is boring. And pointless, as well! There will still be a soul scene. Evolution (or revolution) will happen. The clubs that are playing the wide array of styles will will be the "doorway" to keep bringing in the younger crowd. Give them a little more support and I think you'll be surprised how many people "drift" towards the Northern scene....

Enough of the "Chicken Little" mentality("The soul scene is dying!! The soul scene is dying!!) as well.....

As for the younger DJ's, patronising them is only going to be bad in the long run. As an example, I'm sure all the horrible singers you see on American Idol were told by someone they were good!! Don't lie to them! It'll only make them look foolish down the road.....

"rEvolution is inevitable......"

-Mike

Bang on Mike.........................great to see ya in Joisey, speak soon re: 45.

Russ

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

If you are a young DJ coming into the scene just play what you like as long as it fits what is known in the given field. Let's also hope that younger ones like us can also dance etc so that as said before in 10 years time us oldies will not be able to dance can still come but hear the sounds so us young ones can dance to the sounds. It worries me that in say 20 odd years we all attend these nights but ones who can't dance hear the music and where are all the young ones who are not dancing.

Social source share

Bang on Mike.........................great to see ya in Joisey, speak soon re: 45.

Russ

Same to you, Russ. I'll get those soundclips to you, as well! thumbsup.gif

-Mike

Social source share

At the end of the day who really cares?? The scene has been dying since the 70s supposedly and its still going. Same old arguments while the likes of Andy Mc, Chris Waterman, Ady Cros are around the scene wont die!

Whilst we have younger Djs or older Djs the scene wont die!

Whilst we have Sites like this the scene wont die!

Can anyone ever remember a time when there were no nighters?

EXACTLY!

Wether your old or young if youve got soul it wont die!

This is the opinion of a life long soulie and eventually i will no longer be able to do what i do now but it wont kill my love of the music.

Social source share

Bloody hell Christian, I'm all depressed now, hasn't summer arrived over there yet? :D

It's getting warmer, slowly but surely, even if the culturally enriching season of mass rape and assault with the intent to rob has not fully kicked off yet over here. About soul, and especially the scene, it's all a bit like groundhog day, it never gets anywhere, even the same identical boring debates and arguments keep coming up again and again with regular intervals. It feels like I have reached the end of the line, and there wasn't anything there. It's simply not good, stimulating and rewarding enough to keep my full undivided attention, and it doesn't feel all that important anymore either. I have always been fully aware that soul is only escapism, but escapism is supposed to be fun enough to draw your attention away from the real world around you. Looking back it was a lot of fun at it's peak, but I still sometimes feel that I have pretty much wasted more than 9 prime years of my life. Unfortunately the scene is not getting any better, we'll never reach the same heights again I'm afraid, and we're not exactly getting any younger either. The music is still good and I will probably always like it, and there is a lot of good people I like on the scene, so I won't cry wolf and pledge to leave and retire for good, like som people do every six months or so. :yes::yes: I will stay on, but in a more detached way. I will probably also sell some of my records in the near future since I need money for various things. We'll have to see what the future holds. Now I'm off down to the seashore for a long run in the sun. :yes:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

so I won't cry wolf and pledge to leave and retire for good, like som people do every six months or so. :(:yes:

:D:yes:

You haven't wasted 9 years unless you thought there was some kind of investment outcome. As long as you enjoyed it. :yes:

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

It's getting warmer, slowly but surely, even if the culturally enriching season of mass rape and assault with the intent to rob has not fully kicked off yet over here. About soul, and especially the scene, it's all a bit like groundhog day, it never gets anywhere, even the same identical boring debates and arguments keep coming up again and again with regular intervals. It feels like I have reached the end of the line, and there wasn't anything there. It's simply not good, stimulating and rewarding enough to keep my full undivided attention, and it doesn't feel all that important anymore either. I have always been fully aware that soul is only escapism, but escapism is supposed to be fun enough to draw your attention away from the real world around you. Looking back it was a lot of fun at it's peak, but I still sometimes feel that I have pretty much wasted more than 9 prime years of my life. Unfortunately the scene is not getting any better, we'll never reach the same heights again I'm afraid, and we're not exactly getting any younger either. The music is still good and I will probably always like it, and there is a lot of good people I like on the scene, so I won't cry wolf and pledge to leave and retire for good, like som people do every six months or so. :D:yes: I will stay on, but in a more detached way. I will probably also sell some of my records in the near future since I need money for various things. We'll have to see what the future holds. Now I'm off down to the seashore for a long run in the sun. :yes:

That's a shame. I'm sure everyone will miss your cheerful happy-go-lucky chirpyness. :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert