Northern Soul In Fashion

just dropped my 15 year old daughter off at school , was surprised at seeing a few with the northern soul bags with the fist, apparently they're the fashion , :yes: :yes: ...............diddy

Well, people have been saying for ages that the scene needs youngsters...

Mind you, if they get any younger allnighters will be out of the questions. Instead, it'll have to be alldayers, with a break in the middle for some milk and a nap. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They've been selling those Bags in the 'ARK' stores for a few years now. The current trend for 'GOLA' bags among school kids has sent them out looking for a similar bag with a different logo I think. There's quite a few appeared round our way (school is 150 yards down the road) and our 15 year old borrowed the one he bought me for christmas 5 years ago (which i've never used) for a while last year, but he has gone out and bought himself a 'PENGUIN' one now.

Social source share

They've been selling those Bags in the 'ARK' stores for a few years now. The current trend for 'GOLA' bags among school kids has sent them out looking for a similar bag with a different logo I think. There's quite a few appeared round our way (school is 150 yards down the road) and our 15 year old borrowed the one he bought me for christmas 5 years ago (which i've never used) for a while last year, but he has gone out and bought himself a 'PENGUIN' one now.

GOLA TRAINERS: I KNOW THIS RETRO STUFF IS COOL, BUT IF YOU HAD THOSE AT SCHOOL, PEOPLE WOULD LAUGH AT YOU :lol:

didn't mean to shout

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My father came over the other day (in his mid 70's),takes a look at my Adidas samba and says,"I could do with a pair of them". :lol:

No you bloody well don't i said.

If the kids want retro,bring back phone boxes at the end of the street.Don't know they're born i tell you.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

My 14 year old has looted my Harrington and 54-46 T shirt so far, with the words 'vintage is in' lol

Addidas bags and Fred Perry's buttoned up to the neck very common amongst the teenagers down here.

Dave

They tend to turn the collars up on their Fred Perry's though.

Social source share

My missus is a school teacher and when she first saw one of these bags it was on a kid's shoulder at her school. She rather excitedly ran over to said kid and said "oh wow, you're into northern soul then? its great music isn't it. Do you go to any of the nights".

Kid just looked confused, and said they'd never heard of it. Fashion logo and nothing else

Social source share

About a year ago I saw a denim jacket in T K Maxx with distressed soul patches on it, looked Italian.

Ringspun did a range of 'Northern Soul' Denim a couple of years ago.

Social source share

When did clothes become less important than records on the scene? I never went to Wigan but get the impression that most folk dressed to accommodate sweat, dance moves and heat rather than looking cool.

Is that what's to blame.

Edited by bri. phill
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

yes bring back national service and fireball XL5 and hand me downs !...........thats all i ever wore at school , my siblings bloody hand me downs !! trouble

is i have only got sisters !.....what ribbing i got :yes:

Tell me about it.Used to have my clothes from the army stores.Went to school as a nazi stormtrooper for 3 years.(sorry for anyone who has read that before.).

• Helpful 2
Social source share

just dropped my 15 year old daughter off at school , was surprised at seeing a few with the northern soul bags with the fist, apparently they're the fashion , :yes: :yes: ...............diddy

Saw these a few weeks ago in a local shop that supplies uniforms for all the local schools................... obviously the trendiest school bag at the moment, lol!!!

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My missus is a school teacher and when she first saw one of these bags it was on a kid's shoulder at her school. She rather excitedly ran over to said kid and said "oh wow, you're into northern soul then? its great music isn't it. Do you go to any of the nights".

Kid just looked confused, and said they'd never heard of it. Fashion logo and nothing else

Same thing happened to me Azza, a long time ago when the Felix CD came out. Kids at shool had it (in portable CD players so it must have been a few years back). I tried to engage them in a discussion about the tracks on the CD, they were horrified. I don't they ever played it again. :lol:

Social source share

My son started working at the local sixth form college a couple of years ago and in coversation one day he said there is lots of the kids with bags with " Northern Soul " logo's on them,widespread it seems reading above. I find it strange you would want a logo you knew nothing about though.

I find it strange that plenty go to Northern Soul nights and know nothing about any tunes being played.

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

I must alert Phil Buck , 'Bukta' could be the next big thing. :wink: Just as well he became a social worker in Salford. :shhh:

Seriously though, there were two young lasses @ the Wheel last week with tidy 'adidas' retro bags; and superb dancers they were,

I'd guess they'll be in the fillum.

Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

I was looking for a pic to post of me early 70s 'Dragonette' V-neck T-shirt, quite popular they were @ WC.

Thankfully, I couldn't find one :) .

I see blokes out who have paid >£60 for a Fred Perry. The fella must be pissin himsen laughin.

Edited by Droylsdonian
Social source share

Same thing happened to me about 6/7 years back . I work in a university library and a young bloke about 20 or so came to the enquiries desk with a t shirt on with Northern Soul on it - he didn't know what I was talking about when I tried to talk about the Soul scene. Twas a wee bit embarasssing .

cheers

Manus

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

When I used to go to the 100 Club all-nighters, I got the impression that there were a few who went there as it was fashionable. This might be peculiar to London?

When was this ?

Social source share

My hey day there was the 90s, I realise that the folk who attend there are going to be a bit different to an all-nighter in deepest Lancashire but even taking the cosmopolitan bit into account, I just got the impression that a few people were attending for the T shirt rather than the music BUT hey, who am I to judge why anyone goes to any event. They might have thought what's that old sh*t doing here.

Social source share

thats a bit deep...Whats the connection?

No, it's really rather shallow...

It was merely a flippant aside to the earlier comment about "I like Lambretta jeans, but don't own a Lambretta". I was parodying that by saying that whilst I've worn a product branded with what many would call a Jewish name, I've never been drawn to the Jewish religion.

See, I told you it wasn't deep! :D

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

My son started working at the local sixth form college a couple of years ago and in coversation one day he said there is lots of the kids with bags with " Northern Soul " logo's on them,widespread it seems reading above. I find it strange you would want a logo you knew nothing about though.

it never stopped the kids wearing rolling stones and ramones t-shirts.... Some of my daughters mates didn't know the ramones were a band yet wore the t-shirts

Social source share

My hey day there was the 90s, I realise that the folk who attend there are going to be a bit different to an all-nighter in deepest Lancashire but even taking the cosmopolitan bit into account, I just got the impression that a few people were attending for the T shirt rather than the music BUT hey, who am I to judge why anyone goes to any event. They might have thought what's that old sh*t doing here.

that reminds me of the rare groove scene, now that was mainly a fashion scene. I remember asking two guys I knew wearing paddington flares, ecky thump caps, cropped fur coats and lots of lucky bag rings, if they knew any rare groove tunes. They managed to name the Jackson sisters but beyond that they were stumped.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!