What Do You Do With Your Record Collection, Play It Or Just Store It?

Jim G

I started buying records again about 2 years ago (sold my first collection in 1995 for peanuts, 24 years of buying down the drain..) and my funds mean I buy items for less than £50 and most for way less than that. But despite this limitation, I buy original vinyl (i have bought a couple of boots by mistake!) and now have about 500 records. I buy them to play at home mainly as the mono vinyl (even with the odd crackle or pop) sounds way better than most of the re-processed CD's / ITunes downloads.

But this got me wondering, there people on here with huge collections, what do you do with them, DJ, play them at home (in a jukebox or record room), hold your own soul nights at home with friends, or simply collect and then file them?

Oh, and how many records do some of you have? I only have a few hundred, but I do enjoy playing them!

I would love to know what most forum members actually do with their records, please discuss!

Edited by jim g
Social source share

Stopped buying records a few years ago too much space taken and too much of a f**k about to play em , never been a record collector as such just acquired records and ended up with loads of em , now i just purchase cds for listening to . Strange thing is i won,t part with any records even though they are just gathering dust too many memories i suppose.

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Brought loads in the 70's & 80's mainly easy to get stuff nowt rare still got most of them gathering dust but wunna part with um. Then started to get bits from charity shops, never pay more than a couple of quid, about 5 years ago. Got loads now nomally i record um and then just let um gather dust again or send um back to charity shops. Mad really but i love finding stuff send hours must drive the missus daft

Social source share

Don't know really, depends what a collection is I suppose, Northern wise, only got a handful as I have to sell them for a living, I have 400+ ska/reggae/rocksteady records but those are handpicked, not just anything that crops up, thats my real collection, I have a box of about 400 new wave/punk/post punk 45's in the shed, and maybe 1000 what you'd call 50's to 70's pop records in boxes in the shed as well. Got no room for them in the house. Rarely play anything except the reggae as I have everything in itunes. I'd say I probably have around 75,000 'tracks'. Nobody could ever listen to that lot in a lifetime.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

about 5000..in our music (dining) room...maybe 1500 of those original northern 7s...most of the rest is reggae of all types..lps,12s and sevens..not all original...a few hundred two tone mod indie and punk,couple of dozen techo,drum and bass and hip hop 12s and lps..and a couple of boxes of 60s 70s pop/rock stuff in the loft..

sold a couple thousand mainly dancehall reggae from when i was djing it in the 90s a few years back....sold a few hundred northern boots and originals over the last few years to pay for others

hardly a day goes by when i dont play some tunes..normally a sunday on the couch infront of the tv after a night up playing tunes to the small hours...those nights start off soulful through reggae to...well anythings possible..even drum and bass,hip hop or techno....or dylan and the smiths but only if feeling brave and wanna wind nicci up!

helps having two decks much more fun than playing off one

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mine get played. I play a bunch every single day.

They're stored at home in boxes, originally in label order but nowadays roughly in the order in which they were purchased. I generally take a box & play the contents for a week or so, alongside any new purchases. Also, I probably won't be alone in saying, there's still some at my parents house which weren't remove when I moved out....mostly LP's as the wife reckons "we don't have the space" (failing to add that's due in part because of her collection of shoes). When I visit my parents I will usually give something a spin, not always though as there's a chance they will realise that's the main reason for my frequent visits.

Used to buy all sorts of genres as 45's, EP's, LP's anything really. These days, mostly 'cos of ever increasing costs, it's nearly always 45's, mainly US, 60's, 70's soul, pop and a fair bit of garage.

As a side note, the kids were given my old 3rd hand Bush record player & a pile of old 45's when they were very young & do seem to have an affinity for vinyl......and even listen to some "decent" music on occasions.

Don't have many CD's, just a few with unissued tracks, like the Kent CD's etc, & now it's all downloadable I can't really see me buying CD's.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Jim,

My story and purchase policy is similar to yours except I've only just started collecting again. My ambition is to put on an event sometime in the future. I quite like just playing them at home. I find it an antidote to technology overload.

Stuart

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I theoretically have mine filed in a roughly alphabetical (by artist surname) order. on purpose bought shelving.

However, I play my records every day just about and they are all over the room, floor, every surface available and I often don't put them back in their correct place (or even in a sleeve sometimes) when I'm playing a few and have been known to lose records for up to 2/3 years :ohmy:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm a pretty new collector, my collection so far is getting close 100 soul 45's. With about 20 or so of these tracks being filler as ive picked up a fair few free rocords and been given a few. 99% of my collection is OV. But, my dad has a collection of about 500 soul 45's alot of nice stuff, but not many that expensive. its baout 90% OV with a few re-issue and boots.

I play some of these every day and if im lucky i do the odd DJ spot.

Edited by NorthernJordan
Social source share

i play mine usually when they arrive , then play them occasionally if i am sorting some out to sell or occasionally to dj with but if im on the computer i often find myself just going to youtube or my itunes to listen to them as i cant be arsed to find the one i want then go to the record player and play them

Social source share

I see my self as a soul fan who stopped buying vynil approx 10yes ago. Have a collection of across the board soul from 60's to 90's, approx 800 singles (inc 12"), 1,000 albums and 800 CDs. Still buy occasional CDs. I have phases where i will play stuff for a few hours each day for a week and then go four weeks where they remain virtually untouched apart from CDs during car journeys. What I miss the most is putting together CDs for pals of latest purchases. Now replaced with emailing links to items found online, some new to me some memories from the past.

I have often thought of selling the collection but something inside always stops me doing it though finances may make it happen one day.

Social source share

What I miss the most is putting together CDs for pals of latest purchases. Now replaced with emailing links to items found online, some new to me some memories from the past.

This is so true. I used to love doing c90 tapes of my records, then cd's. Though I usually put the same records on each one :lol: even nowadays I often don;t think it's "worth" playing records unless I'm recording them for a compilation.

Social source share

Got around 1500 45s, consisting of around 1000 ska/rocksteady/reggae and 500 soul 45s.

Around 7000 albums, of which around 4000 are ska/rocksteady/reggae, 1000 are soul and 2000 are 40s to 60s R&B, doo wop and blues.

Out of my albums, around 2000 are on vinyl and 5000 CDs.

Social source share

i had a large collection at one time and ive always played them down to my last 4000 now so i get to here some things a little more often than i did

Large Collection...it was HYooowge i never went to urs and heard the same tune twice LOL

my collecting days are slowing and many sold on but what ive got gets a personal airing every weekend

Geeooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

One of the best ways to listen to music nowadays is just to put itunes on 'itunes DJ', it'll play you a constant stream of random tracks and every day you'll hear something new

I also do that Pete when out and about, reading and when travelling (which I used to do a lot). But still like the record spinning on the deck. Nostalgia I know, and one day i will probably sell my records (again).

A mate has 10,000 45's mainly in storage, I nag him just to give some to me, he never will though!

Social source share

One of the best ways to listen to music nowadays is just to put itunes on 'itunes DJ', it'll play you a constant stream of random tracks and every day you'll hear something new

ARGh you cad and bounders surely when playing to yourselves in the comfort of your own home where no one can hear you it should be either OVO, OFO and........ ................. LOL...... had to get that in :P

Itunes is the bomb, ive got so much stuff on my computer now i hear stuff i forgot i had or ive sold on its brilliant, and keeps it all pretty fresh, ive got everything from al kent to zingara, i have playlists banging at work all the time through my ipod, how else could you carry 2000 tunes around with you all day everyday.

But its still nice to polish up a piece of vinyl once a week.

Geeooooordie

Social source share

im constantly buying soul vinyl off ebay or dealers, used to go for rarer sounds, all original , but since me and a mate started our soul nights im buying more run of the mill sounds to dj with, doni burdick,insperations, etc, wont keep em forever though, like to get me money back for em one day, as long as theres still a market for them.

Social source share

im constantly buying soul vinyl off ebay or dealers, used to go for rarer sounds, all original , but since me and a mate started our soul nights im buying more run of the mill sounds to dj with, doni burdick,insperations, etc, wont keep em forever though, like to get me money back for em one day, as long as theres still a market for them.

I'd be quick then because in 10 years time, there are going to be literally thousands of northern soul 45's floating around that nobody wants. Our kids don't want them, and we're all getting older and older...I also predict that in 10 years time cd's will have been phased out completely.

yours,

Nostradamus (Mrs.)

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I'd be quick then because in 10 years time, there are going to be literally thousands of northern soul 45's floating around that nobody wants. Our kids don't want them, and we're all getting older and older...I also predict that in 10 years time cd's will have been phased out completely.

yours,

Nostradamus (Mrs.)

Absolutely bang on Pete, and I know people are pinning their hopes on the foreign markets having em but once the UK scene collapses(which is the focal point of it all) then that'll be the end of it..IMO...Still,like TOAD says,enjoy while it lasts.

As for a collection, only have approx 300 or so singles,used to have more but down sized but now own many records I used to only dream of having.Play em a lot.

What does 10,000 records look like? I'd view owning that lot as a real liability...A mill stone around my neck :(

Edited by John A
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What does 10,000 records look like? I'd view owning that lot as a real liability...A mill stone around my neck :(

Its what all collectors dream of. Its what DJs consider a liability!

I sit in my record room naked shouting yipee in celebration of the beautiful things most of the time, doesnt everyone? Rob Marriot even drew a picture of this on one mad weekend.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Absolutely bang on Pete, and I know people are pinning their hopes on the foreign markets having em but once the UK scene collapses(which is the focal point of it all) then that'll be the end of it..IMO...Still,like TOAD says,enjoy while it lasts.

As for a collection, only have approx 300 or so singles,used to have more but down sized but now own many records I used to only dream of having.Play em a lot.

totally agree john.....ive done the 10,000 45`s lark and 4 years ago decided to downscale and get a few of the 45`s i always wanted to own...ultimately gonna scale down to 2 big boxes full......also i still got a few thousand general soul 45`s plus all me pop stuff..beatles, who, small faces etc....only got about 1000 lps and 12`s tho

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yeah I can get that,,and thinking about it I don't think I fall in either category. Not really.

I probably fit into both, but differently (I hope) in mindset. Although very loosely in the DJ one, especially nowadays (no obvious comments from the floor please) and to stop me being tempted to DJ again I am considering seriously downsizing my 45's.

The warped mind of a collector.

However, off home to get naked and shout yipee!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't think I've ever had more than 400-500 singles at any one time, and I've had four collections, practically one for every decade. As I'm buying stuff most weeks, I'm playing stuff every other day, discovering B sides and getting pleasant surprises, especially on the Deep side of things. Immense enjoyment. My second collection was the "tastiest", put together in the late 80s when I fixed a ton limit on a given 45. As we all know, this sort of money could get you some really tasty stuff in the late 80s, and some records like James Fountain were picked up really cheap. People are talking 10,000 45s, but some folk on here are in the 35,000 plus league. I'd love to have a gander at something like that. I say, would you like to join me in the 'media room'. I'd love to be able to say that.

Social source share

yours,

Nostradamus (Mrs.)

thats exactly how i think its gonna end up, no ones gonna want em, i know theres a few young uns coming through who really like this scene but not in the same numbers as when i were that age.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

thats exactly how i think its gonna end up, no ones gonna want em, i know theres a few young uns coming through who really like this scene but not in the same numbers as when i were that age.

If you think about it, your 50 plus, many more are 60 plus, what would you rather have, 10,000 singles or the money from 10,000 singles to share with your family?

I know what I'd prefer. Money money money every time. 20 years ago I'd have said records records records.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i dont believe we should view the future in such a pessimistic manner, i disagree that youth developement will be disproportionate to our own era, already we see kids who are disillusioned with the neverending run-of-the-mill that is todays pop market...isnt this why alternative cultures have always developed & flourished...the rebellion against 50's tin pan alley was rock & roll and no-one tires of that after successive generations...weve had the ascendancy of soul music for the best part of 50 years, its attained global acceptance, its sensible music but most importantly its inspired people to dance in an individualistic way, non conformist and the generations that originally adorned that concept include us, it inspired many of us to seek out these records that grabbed our attention. of course we're all getting older but the adage " nothing lasts forever" really dosn't apply to this scene,...because the variant of content has allowed the scene to re-invent itself successfuly and has, in the process drawn a wider swathe of people to the scene...and not just young kids....what about the 30/40 somethings who got into the scene in the last 10/12 years?, they haven't visibly wilted and disappeared after the initial thrill. there will ALWAYS be a market for vinyl...you've said it yourselves so many times...there's nothing like the sound of a diamond stylus slipping into the groove of a shiney 7" black plastic thingy, yes, its great cutting cds, especially if you want to preserve you precious vinyl artifacts for posterity, but the computer formulated ethos was never meant to replace the shiver of expectation that greets the listener or dancer when the turntable springs into action...in the car fine, great to sing along to at drivetime. i like to have a session with some choonz after a particularly stressful day trying to DELIVER PARCELS TO PEOPLE WHO AREN'T IN ( SELFISH BARSTEWARDS! ). and the mantra as always should be: dont buy records just to look at them.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I love, cherish and play mine. Once or twice a week for a couple of hours at a time. Did a big loft conversion a while back to make a music room. I buy a couple a month, but rarely pay much for them. I buy most of them from a particular record shop and have done so for about 25 years. I occasionally have a bit of a splurge on ebay when someone clears out a collection but have a couple of kids at university so have to be sensible. When they're finished bleeding me dry, if all this talk of falling prices is right....it might be a different story. :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have about 7 or 8 thousand singles....mixture of northern/reggae (about 800 45's up to 71)/freakbeat/psych,200 punk,boogaloo/funk,about 100 acetates(psych/soul) and about 6,000 lp's....all genres but loads of latin/jazz.I sell to buy and im lucky that i have always bought twice if cheap enough.Play stuff everyday..would love a loft conversion music room.

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

never been a hoarder of 45s or defo would be in the thousands by now, have about 500/600 all original us/uk 60s northern, which about half dont get played very often

not because there crap, just keep because of sentimental reasons and will only sell if a last resort....or a major want comes along.

for me collecting is the thrill of winning or getting that wanted 45, or even getting a classic 45 that i only had on a reissue/boot when i was a youngster, i see it nowadays

that if i dont play something bar the ones that are under the bed they are better used as trades or sold towards the next want with no regrets to selling, at the end of the

day if i want them back there always out there...

yes there are a few records i want to own before my collecting days are over...then again there always will be...its called collecting....

Social source share

Mine get played every day (not all of them, obviously). I don't have a MP3 player, don't use iTunes except to record CDs occasionally, don't drive so don't have CD player in the car...

I also DJ a couple of times a week playing different stuff so always swapping the DJ boxes round.

Maybe 6 or 7 thousand 45s (soul, reggae, r'n'b, mod, psych, funk and so on...), couple of thousand LPs (psych, folk, jazz - especially UK jazz, library, afrobeat etc...), plus loads of 12's in the 'out' pile, mainly from my previous DJ life: house from '87 to '92 mostly, hip hop from '82 to '93, what's left of my boogie and disco, jungle, breakbeat, trip hop and so on...

Never been one for collecting label runs or everything by an artist, just try to keep buying interesting records, and every now and then have a cull.

Recently got into african funk though, which is a potential money pit. Had a pretty good freakbeat collection with a lot of big hitters in it, sold that back in the late 80s and regretted it almost immediately, so try not to sell any rare ones! :wink:

Social source share

We moved house October 2010 and down sized 50% at least. We sold lots of furniture, bits and bobs as we did not have the room and I must have also cleaned out 3 -4000 45's, cheap Northern, Reggae, mainstream Soul. Used most of the money to help fund the reno we are doing but have also treated myself to some nice bits now and again.

Never been one for albums but do have a box of stuff with un-issued Northern on them, Rufus Lumley, The Outsiders, The Tempests etc that I have managed to pick up reasonably cheaply at Record Shows.

Probably only have 2-3000 45's now

My problem is I cannot pass a cheap Northern or Motown 45 at a show so am always coming home with another copy of Winstons, Supremes, Flirtations etc etc etc but the bottom is falling right out of the cheaper stuff with the shipping costs from North America (but that is a separate subject).

I know what 15000 looks like as I bought that many back in late 2009, I was exhausted by time I got them in the car (3 trips in a CRV), out of the car into the house, then into the record room. Absolutely great fun going up there every night with some wine, record cleaner and just playing through boxes of 45's of all genres, Country, Doo Wop, New Wave, Reggae, Rock and Roll, Canadian private press stuff . Down to the last 3 boxes of mainstream Soul stuff now - Stax, Atlantic, Philly etc etc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i dont believe we should view the future in such a pessimistic manner, i disagree that youth developement will be disproportionate to our own era, already we see kids who are disillusioned with the neverending run-of-the-mill that is todays pop market...isnt this why alternative cultures have always developed & flourished...the rebellion against 50's tin pan alley was rock & roll and no-one tires of that after successive generations...weve had the ascendancy of soul music for the best part of 50 years, its attained global acceptance, its sensible music but most importantly its inspired people to dance in an individualistic way, non conformist and the generations that originally adorned that concept include us, it inspired many of us to seek out these records that grabbed our attention. of course we're all getting older but the adage " nothing lasts forever" really dosn't apply to this scene,...because the variant of content has allowed the scene to re-invent itself successfuly and has, in the process drawn a wider swathe of people to the scene...and not just young kids....what about the 30/40 somethings who got into the scene in the last 10/12 years?, they haven't visibly wilted and disappeared after the initial thrill. there will ALWAYS be a market for vinyl...you've said it yourselves so many times...there's nothing like the sound of a diamond stylus slipping into the groove of a shiney 7" black plastic thingy, yes, its great cutting cds, especially if you want to preserve you precious vinyl artifacts for posterity, but the computer formulated ethos was never meant to replace the shiver of expectation that greets the listener or dancer when the turntable springs into action...in the car fine, great to sing along to at drivetime. i like to have a session with some choonz after a particularly stressful day trying to DELIVER PARCELS TO PEOPLE WHO AREN'T IN ( SELFISH BARSTEWARDS! ). and the mantra as always should be: dont buy records just to look at them.

Why not? its called reality.

Also I dont really understand what the rest of your post has got to do with demand for/value of records in the future ( I'm assuming thats what you're trying to explain as the thread is about how we collect and use our records)

The fact is the average age of people interested in our music, whether collecting it or attending venues is getting higher every year which is self explanatory really. Theres no way enough young people will turn up to replace the old ones disappearing.

Social source share

I reckon international collectors, particularly Europeans, will be keen to snap them up. A lot these guys were in their mid to late teens in the mid to late 80s and have been paying their dues ever since. I know when I was 35-40 I was still avidly collecting so I don't see these guys as any different. If you're still collecting in your early 40s you'll still be doing it at 50-60 and beyond if the passion's still there. What happens to the nighter, soul night thing in the UK is another question.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I reckon international collectors, particularly Europeans, will be keen to snap them up. A lot these guys were in their mid to late teens in the mid to late 80s and have been paying their dues ever since. I know when I was 35-40 I was still avidly collecting so I don't see these guys as any different. If you're still collecting in your early 40s you'll still be doing it at 50-60 and beyond if the passion's still there. What happens to the nighter, soul night thing in the UK is another question.

Well I have just turned 43 myself and my collecting is slowing right down..as I can see the same future that Pete is describing i'm not gonna keep paying sky high prices, I presume,when you were 35-40,every one else was too. Thats not been the case for me obviously.

Edited by John A
Social source share

Collect Northern Original Label stuff, the ones I like but play them out.

Collected Bowie from the mid - late 60's but a few years ago realised that I am never gonna be able to have everything and a Part collection is not worth having. Too many Bootlegs etc. Decided to sell up the Bowie stuff ( Kept some CD's to listen to but soon won't be part of a big collection )

Northern, realistically, no one will ever have everything so doesn't command the same rules.

Social source share

Mine are shelved in label order a-b - c etc then matrix numbers mainly Detroit records on one wall,the far wall is all uk motown in one section,then all US motown and related on a the lower shelves,along side the turntables & cd players are the Philly sectionand Chicago area stuff.........f***ing sad i know,but in boxes are uk soul stuff and USA soul (northern)

All in a temprature controled room always locked pet free and mrs free(out of bounds to everyone)

approx 7k records ,but in a cupboard i ve boxes of unsorted stuff the usual crap you buy in ,in the hope of amongst the shite will be a few gems etc.My

Rockabilly stuff is all over the place ha ha

I love my tunes,always buying in trading bits etc,i get to play them (not all) every day

im a record addict (my name is Toby and imaddicted to records.......that will please the mrs,there you go dear ive said it now f*** off.

Social source share

I play my records fairly regularly but often pack them away for a week or two, then get them back out again. Probably only got about 500 45s now and about 150 LPs.

Buying is pretty much the same - every few weeks I root about and buy a few records, I don't chase anything I just pick stuff up as I see it. so I probably miss a lot. I buy some stuff to sell on but I'm doing that less and less as it is a minefield really. Things like mixcloud have got me interested again as I can put together sets when I have the time and also listen to other people's stuff.

Social source share

Like alot of collectors probably had at least three collections over the years, now have trimmed down to about 1000 45's. Main collection are in two big cases (one english and one full of american originals). Been slowly clearing out over last 5 years but then regret selling them. Get them out and look at them now and again , wife plays hell up because i just look at them, very rare i play them

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!