Record Collections - Sell Now Before The Market Drops

The Val Shively article picks up on the impact of the internet making maintaining a shop uneconomic, and it echoes what's hitting our high streets with out of town shopping centres killing local smaller scale shops.

For those of us who used to enjoy casually going to the record shops back in the 70's, not even stopping to think about whether they would exist in the future, the chance to still find shops selling soul on vinyl has been prolonging the pleasure, but for most of us requires a fair old journey - they're not on your doorstep, and probably not in your town or even county.

But as the record shops slowly close up, that pleasure of thumbing through a stack of records gets tied down to record fairs, car boots and junk shops, and soul nights. You can buy on the internet, but just as iTunes doesn't give you that same physicality that a 7" platter can, neither does clicking on a website come close to walking into a record shop and glancing around to spot the box labelled "Soul".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personally i`m never gonna sell my records unless i have no where to live or no money to eat/pay bills etc. Hopefully that will never happen.

Been my hobby since 1991 and been into the music since 1979 in various forms/genre`s.It`s nice if you break even what you paid or there worth IN today`s market but not the end of the world cos off all the pleasure i`ve had playing them over the years.

Food for thought,when i was collecting in 1991(last recession),everyone was telling me how mad i was,vinyl is dead etc,prices will come down all the doom and gloom like your hearing now. It peaked in early 2yk and i think it still be here in 20/30 years. The next generation will get bored listening to 2 bob r+b and all the other cack new music.Prices might drop but would`t that be a good thing to get new blood in?

Edited by Hammersoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

your too late ,when Beanos in croydon closed down that was a warning things could get tough

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beanos was a second-hand record shop, once the largest in Europe,[1] located in the South London suburb of Croydon. It was founded by David Lashmar in 1975 (a former member of the short-lived British musical group Dead Sea Fruit) and continued to expand through three increasingly larger shops ending up in an old printing works in Middle Streetduring the 1990s.

After over thirty years of trading, Beanos faced the threat of closure in 2006, although the immediate threat was averted by concentrating the store's focus on rare vinyl records rather than Compact Discs which were being undercut by large music chains and supermarkets.[2] However, in November 2008 Lashmar posted a notice on the website stating the store would have to close after Christmas of that year as sales had not picked up. The shop finally closed in the Autumn of 2009.

In January 2010 David Lashmar reopened Beanos as STUFF marketplace. STUFF marketplace officially closed on 30 April 2010 due to too little business. Lashmar is currently looking for someone to buy the building to run as STUFF. The site is now host to Beanies, a child friendly cafe also offering play areas and workshops.

In December 2010 David Lashmar and Beanos featured in the BBC television series Turn Back Time - The High Street. Lashmar appeared as a 1970s record shop owner trying to sell vinyl records to the public in Shepton Mallet, Somerset.

Edited by sceneman
Social source share

hmmm, have to say a lot of rare records seem to hit the market right now and a few people start selling their collection. I guess now would be the time if you still want to have top dollar for your most valuable records. The +/- 50 pound records seem not to sell too well. There are a few indemanders but I guess the late 80's early 90's prices would be a realistic figure you could expect in the ''near'' future !!! As discussed in a previous post the uk market is still the strongest overall although records do sell all over the world now. But I am still surprised that even through the recession most people were very reluctant to sell all of their records to fund their living expenses. The time when prices will go down is probably when the majority of older british collectors decide to rather have a few comfortable years before they clock off. The few trophy hunters outside the uk will hoover up all the rare items but I guess the huge amount of rare records will saturate the market in the end and prices will have to go down. But guys, you can't put a value on enjoyment those fantastic records have given you over the years. hatsoff2.gif ... just make sure you share them in the end and be not stupid enough to burry them with ya (bootlegs would be ok I guess laugh.png ) !!!!

Edited by viphitman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

its happened to the old teddyboys as they kick the bucket and no new buyers to take over the batton when their rare stuff goes on sale .what was very rare is now not really saleable. but i suspect when the UK comes

out of recession prices will go on up again ,as buyers start collecting vynil again when they are flush with cash again .

Social source share

Guest micky p

And with the recession making money tighter,you have to question what the f- we are doing with bits of vinyl hidden away so the missus won't find them.

SHE WILL RIP THE PLACE TO BITS TOMORROW UNTIL SHE FINDS ALL UR GEMS NOW THAT U HAVE LET IT SLIP,THEN SHE WILL SWAP THEM TO THE RAG MAN FOR A COUPLE OF BALLOONS ! LOL THAT WILL TEACH U TO PUT MONITARY VALUES ON A LIFE'S PASSION ! WHEN IT'LL NEVER BE OVER FOR ME IS PLAYED I DONT RUN TO THE DANCE FLOOR AND CRY ALL THE WAY THREW THE TUNE COS I HAD JUST PAYED £1800 FOR IT ! SMASH UP ALL COLLECTONS ! LET NOBODY HAVE THEM ! HAHA, MARK MY WORDS ALL YOU KIDULTS ! PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THE 2ND WAVE OF NORTHERN SOUL THATS HIT US ! IN YEARS TO COME,NO MATTER HOW MANY YEARS AWAY IT IS , NORTHERN SOUL WILL BECOME THE PHENOMONOM THAT ITS ALWAYS BEEN FOR ME AND ALL OTHERS,AND PEOPLE WILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT ALL THE FUSS IS ABOUT AND WANT A PART OF IT COS ITS DIFFERENT,AND ITS REAL,MADE BY PEOPLE WHO CAN SING AND PLAY REAL INSTROMENTS ! THE FACT IS,NORTHERN SOUL IS HERE ! ALWAYS HAS BEEN,ALWAYS WILL BE ! U CANT TAKE YOUR RECORDS WITH YOU ! WHEN U PASS OVER BUT WE CAN TAKE THE MEMORIES ! AND THE COST OF THEM ! "PRICELESS" !!! LISTEN TO OTHER DJ'S PLAY YOUR FAVE TUNES,THEN U CAN SAY "HELL OF A TUNE ! I SWAPPED IT FOR A HOLLIDAY IN BENIDORM ! LMFAO !!! IM GONNA START A NORTHERN SOUL VYNAL ASH TRAY CLUB ! BRING YOUR OWN AND WE WILL SUPPLY THE TONGS AND THE GAS COOKER TO MELT THEM INTO SHAPE !!! LOL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE SEND THEM TO POINTS OF VIEW ! MICKY P IN THE TOON.
Social source share

• 4 months later...

I suppose with the prices some big ticket items have been fetching, the market for good Northern Soul records is alive and well. Dross of course just doesn't sell anymore.

Hey Chris...It sure does...I just bought the Pinkooshins-Make It Easy   :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought mine cause I had to have the tracks I used too and still dance too - Had to have it at whatever cost ! - Lost interest in collecting  

Put a lIst of for sale on source 8th June .................Only one response ? And as I havent even got anything to play the 45s on ",)

Still looking to part with them ( & The memorobilia )

For me the soul scene is bigger than ever ,you only have to look at the number of events locally and the attendance(s)

Friday night is dance night - Every Friday .

Its possibly only because of technology that for me - CDS/MP3s etc .. Records I collected years ago and still love to hear will remain in the box until someone wants to start there own collection with em .

Like most things in life - If you have to have it - Cost isnt always No 1 priority . Like any record /collection thats for sale - Its only ever going to be worth what someones prepared to pay  .

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

intresting thread from an outsiders point of view

i  collect records

i am not influenced by going out on the northern soul scene

i just collect what i like, mainly 60s soul, rnb, mod jazz, boogaloo, and 60s jamaica - you get me.

the prices acheived on auctions are dictated by the open market

i use my own feeling on what to pay and buy, and of course my taste

i have always bought records

its not a science

My point is

There are people out here in the world collecting vintage records

who dont go to allnighters, or get involved in the scene anymore

who are happy just doing their own thing

who just collect and love the music

thats me

i must add, jester wild is the most fantastic thing on the internet at the moment ! imo

have a listen to miss clawdy (click the link)

noticed from this play list

i have a copy of bulldozer on tournament..... total bonkers..... love it and  have big dons rebellion

great to see other people enjoying and sharing old 45s

what these guys are doing is special

and miss clawdys selection is up there and totally brill

https://jesterwild.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=91

so i would not worry about vintage collectors

some records will always be valuable and collectable

because they are great

mossy

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

SHE WILL RIP THE PLACE TO BITS TOMORROW UNTIL SHE FINDS ALL UR GEMS NOW THAT U HAVE LET IT SLIP,THEN SHE WILL SWAP THEM TO THE RAG MAN FOR A COUPLE OF BALLOONS ! LOL THAT WILL TEACH U TO PUT MONITARY VALUES ON A LIFE'S PASSION ! WHEN IT'LL NEVER BE OVER FOR ME IS PLAYED I DONT RUN TO THE DANCE FLOOR AND CRY ALL THE WAY THREW THE TUNE COS I HAD JUST PAYED £1800 FOR IT ! SMASH UP ALL COLLECTONS ! LET NOBODY HAVE THEM ! HAHA, MARK MY WORDS ALL YOU KIDULTS ! PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THE 2ND WAVE OF NORTHERN SOUL THATS HIT US ! IN YEARS TO COME,NO MATTER HOW MANY YEARS AWAY IT IS , NORTHERN SOUL WILL BECOME THE PHENOMONOM THAT ITS ALWAYS BEEN FOR ME AND ALL OTHERS,AND PEOPLE WILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT ALL THE FUSS IS ABOUT AND WANT A PART OF IT COS ITS DIFFERENT,AND ITS REAL,MADE BY PEOPLE WHO CAN SING AND PLAY REAL INSTROMENTS ! THE FACT IS,NORTHERN SOUL IS HERE ! ALWAYS HAS BEEN,ALWAYS WILL BE ! U CANT TAKE YOUR RECORDS WITH YOU ! WHEN U PASS OVER BUT WE CAN TAKE THE MEMORIES ! AND THE COST OF THEM ! "PRICELESS" !!! LISTEN TO OTHER DJ'S PLAY YOUR FAVE TUNES,THEN U CAN SAY "HELL OF A TUNE ! I SWAPPED IT FOR A HOLLIDAY IN BENIDORM ! LMFAO !!! IM GONNA START A NORTHERN SOUL VYNAL ASH TRAY CLUB ! BRING YOUR OWN AND WE WILL SUPPLY THE TONGS AND THE GAS COOKER TO MELT THEM INTO SHAPE !!! LOL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE SEND THEM TO POINTS OF VIEW ! MICKY P IN THE TOON.

I wasn't putting a value on them.My post was tongue in cheek.

All the best....Stanley Unwin.

Social source share

For the future I have always believed when talking about 7inch vinyl and cds.............

• that the format will continue to change over to digital, in whatever format (mp3, mp4 or whatever), its quality improving along with download speed
  • that every song recordable will more or less be available for instant download - some paid, some free on the internet
  • that all record shops will close
  • that collectors for vinyl will short term increase in number (world awareness) but long term decrease (technology, youngsters etc)
  • that record players will stop being manufactured and old ones will rarely be serviced (uneconomic). Many format changes are in fact profit driven commercial changes by companies....
  • that all manufacturers of vinyl 7s will cease trading

and as this happens

• All low value 45s will be encouraged to melt down / disposal (too expensive to store worthless 45s)
  • Only the historically important and super rare (super value) will be kept, probably in glass frames

Time frame.......... I'd say 50 years ........

In the meantime, I will collect on oblivious, happy that its my chosen past time ........being thankful if I could hear more 45s for less money.........(in the real rather than digital)  :-)

Social source share

For the future I have always believed when talking about 7inch vinyl and cds.............

• that the format will continue to change over to digital, in whatever format (mp3, mp4 or whatever), its quality improving along with download speed
  • that every song recordable will more or less be available for instant download - some paid, some free on the internet
  • that all record shops will close
  • that collectors for vinyl will short term increase in number (world awareness) but long term decrease (technology, youngsters etc)
  • that record players will stop being manufactured and old ones will rarely be serviced (uneconomic). Many format changes are in fact profit driven commercial changes by companies....
  • that all manufacturers of vinyl 7s will cease trading

Pretty hard to disagree with any of the above. Most of it is already happening. Digital is just continuing to explode year on year but, conversely, and on a vastly smaller scale, the right titles are still worth releasing on vinyl.... just. You have to do your sums very carefully before you commit to a vinyl release as a 100 unsold records can make the difference between commercial success and failure and that's a very tight margin of error. Plus records are bulky, heavy, awkward items to store, distribute and sell as the costs for warehousing, transporting, shipping and posting are all rising massively. I think vinyl will continue as a semi-viable format for a good few years yet. Prices on records across all genres have plummeted downwards over the last 10 years (apart from super-rare high value items) and that trend will continue as the baby-boomers clear out their collections. Luckily, a lot of the volume is being taken up by younger collectors who are finding great value items on vinyl plus they seem to like the cache of lugging vinyl around. There is also an upsurge of interest and buyers from other parts of the world and emerging countries like Brazil, Chile, Russia etc. So there's quite a bit of life in the old dog yet.

It's difficult to counter the technological revolution because that fuels everything. Who wants 78's, cassettes or 8 track cartridges these days? Also, space is becoming a major issue. The influx of population to the UK and other factors are suddenly putting a huge premium on house and storage space. The big collections of the future will probably be in the hands of the few people who can afford to store them properly, i.e. have a spare room or two, and that will become increasingly expensive.

If I hadn't decided to 'prune' my collection down to something more manageable around 10 years ago, I'd have been in real trouble when I recently moved! 12"'s and Albums are now down to around 20% of what they were 10 years ago whilst singles are hovering around 80% of what they were 10 years ago. And the wife still moans that there's too many. :lol:

It's the CD's and Hard-Drives which are becoming a problem now. :g:

Ian D :D

Social source share

To circle back to the original article, in addition to doo-wop, there are (at least in the midwest U.S., and likely elsewhere) several genres which are basically impossible to sell.  Part of this stems from the economic crash in 2008.  

Most general rock records (60s/70s), not Beatles or specific genres like psych, garage or rockabilly plummeted when the economy crashed.  These records have been bringing 25%-50% or less of what they brought 5 years ago, and this has been further been expanded upon with the latest USPS postage rate increase in January.

Also, 50s rock in my part of the world is impossible to sell.  By this, I mean Elvis, Ricky Nelson and that sort of stuff.  I don't even touch it when offered it.  

I get calls from people wanting to sell me big band, classical and 50s pop, to which I tell them there's no market and to donate it to a charity.  As one woman said to me on the phone:  "But they're such wonderful records."  I said that may be true, but nobody wants them, and those that have them, are dying off and wanting to get rid of them.

Social source share

Guest franky m

The fact that the doo wop market collapsed is no suprise , it was a short lived musical genre and only appealed to people of a certain generation , and cant be compared to the 60,s / 70,s US black american musical output , spanning many styles of music of which northern soul was carefully selected, new scenes are popping up all the time , not just in the UK , and classic soul and funk and music we call northern soul is still being plagiarized by chart topping singers 

Maybe the northern scene as we know it  may change , but i,m sure the demand for rare soul vinyl will continue 

Edited by franky m
Social source share

The fact that the doo wop market collapsed is no suprise , it was a short lived musical genre and only appealed to people of a certain generation , and cant be compared to the 60,s / 70,s US black american musical output , spanning many styles of music of which northern soul was carefully selected, new scenes are popping up all the time , not just in the UK , and classic soul and funk and music we call northern soul is still being plagiarized by chart topping singers 

Maybe the northern scene as we know it  may change , but i,m sure the demand for rare soul vinyl will continue 

what are big collections worth?

ive collected for the last 30 years off and on sold some bought some ,at this time  i would value my collection at £10,000 = £15,000.

in about 400 records . no rare near some big collections . so what are the big collections in value in £???

Social source share

if the price is right people will buy....theres a lot of stuff out there at the moment that is overpriced

Totally agree dave an example jesse James "love affair" I was talking to a collector (newish 3 yrs into buying) and mentioned price of this 45 being ridiculously overpriced@£50-60 me having seen a certain dealer around 1990 having stacks of this for a fiver each a price it should still be in reality but new collector says to me "oh that one , , come down in price to £45 now it's cheap! !!" Fuck me with a ragmans trumpet that ain't cheap for a 45 of that availability, and there's many more like them, and many more new collectors that didn't see the real amount of availability, I reckon if you buy records only for the song and etc you won't go wrong but not for investment at the stage of life the average soul fan is at

forget it!

The point I wanted to make was if you was collecting when records like these were a fiver and that's all you paid for it you've nothing to worry about imo but if you're paying £45-60 now , , you'reon a loser but hey its your money you do what you want with it!

Dave L

Edited by lfcjunkie
Social source share

Unless a collection has a lot of niche market music (like soul, garage, rockabilly, psych, and other stuff), I tell most people that the larger the collection, the less overall it's worth.  It's a different animal altogether and perhaps not a great comparison, but I know of 4 large hordes of LPs and 45s within a 2-hour radius that are full of chud music.  The owners think they are sitting on a goldmine.  Not.

Social source share

What value do you put on memories?, to me they are priceless. Remember your parents saying ''This is our tune''?, didn't mean anything then, it does now.

Got stuff from 45 years ago in my collection, play a sound now and I can remember where I first heard it, the hassle it took to unearth a copy and the fact that, in relative terms it cost me an arm and a leg to buy it.

Record prices dropping?, well my good lady, who's never been into the music, or the NS scene has already told me, (1) the daughter no longer wants them and (2) she's going to ''bin them'' if I peg it before her.

Other than thatmy memories, currently anyway, are not for sale.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

what are big collections worth?

ive collected for the last 30 years off and on sold some bought some ,at this time  i would value my collection at £10,000 = £15,000.

in about 400 records . no rare near some big collections . so what are the big collections in value in £???

Let Mr Manship have a look at them, you'll be VERY disappointed

Social source share

We've had this kind of "crisis" before.

I know this is a rare soul forum but most serious soul fans are music lovers first and collectors second. They become collectors by default.

Those kind of people are unlikely to suddenly sell up due to fears of falling values or reduced demand and that's because they don't think of their collections as financial investments. What they really value is the music and its history.

Some DJs and collectors will come and go, and sometimes come back again, but most of my soul friends seem to have been addicts for life and I don't think they're looking for a cure. So I don't see a crisis.

There's no real fall of interest in soul music and no big change in demand, just the expected periodical fluctuations in some people's values because of the inevitable changes in supply and demand, the current problems of affordability due to the economy and the advances in technology which will effect some people's buying habits more than others. But the perceived value of one 45 will rise as the value of another falls.

This happens every once in a while because values are driven by demand which is largely affected by changing tastes. Look at how many traditional northern soul fans gradually accepted more modern productions or slower tempos or funkier rhythm patterns etc. Look at how the value of records was effected by the boom years of the modern soul, deep funk and crossover scenes. Many records which had been hard to sell became hot. We've been here before and no doubt we'll be here again.

I remember once talking about this subject with John Anderson, probably in the mid 1980s, he used to say the soul scene had five-year cycles between the high and low points of demand. That might not be accurate these days but it's a reminder that things will always change with time.

And people's musical tastes will always develop.

So if I was a record dealer today I'd probably focus more on which 45s could be hot tomorrow.

Paul

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

I know this is a rare soul forum but most serious soul fans are music lovers first and collectors second. They become collectors by default.

Those kind of people are unlikely to suddenly sell up due to fears of falling values or reduced demand and that's because they don't think of their collections as financial investments. What they really value is the music and its history.

Some DJs and collectors will come and go, and sometimes come back again, but most of my soul friends seem to have been addicts for life and I don't think they're looking for a cure. So I don't see a crisis.

There's no real fall of interest in soul music and no big change in demand, just the expected periodical fluctuations in some people's values because of the inevitable changes in supply and demand, the current problems of affordability due to the economy and the advances in technology which will effect some people's buying habits more than others. But the perceived value of one 45 will rise as the value of another falls.

This happens every once in a while because values are driven by demand which is largely affected by changing tastes. Look at how many traditional northern soul fans gradually accepted more modern productions or slower tempos or funkier rhythm patterns etc. Look at how the value of records was effected by the boom years of the modern soul, deep funk and crossover scenes. Many records which had been hard to sell became hot. We've been here before and no doubt we'll be here again.

I remember once talking about this subject with John Anderson, probably in the mid 1980s, he used to say the soul scene had five-year cycles between the high and low points of demand. That might not be accurate these days but it's a reminder that things will always change with time.

So if I was a record dealer today I'd probably focus more on which 45s could be hot tomorrow.

Paul

total great post

i personaly am not influenced by any scene anymore

i still love collecting and the old 45s

its just a personal thing now

if you are saying that i am gonna be able to buy great rare detroit 45s like The Utopias

(for example) in the future for next nothing again

bring it on

cant wait

the cheaper and more available the 45s become, the more i will buy in the future

we have all bought and been stung with 45s that are in demand

and thats trick

just buy what you love

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Buying tomorrow’s big sounds, at yesterdays prices, today, it’s always been the way to go and nothing really changes in that respect.  However, the addiction often forces us to get the order wrong; this can make the drug more expensive than it needs to be on occasion.

I buy what I love and love what I buy. I suspect that will always be the case, regardless of market fluctuations.

Social source share

Paul

a perfect summary by Paul - no need to read the rest . 

With regards to ' taste changing' very true.

With hindsight I can recall my personal experiences of being offered racks of albums in the very early 1980 's that I turned down ( even @ £1 or less each ) as there was no mass market buying that style , and anyhow was short on storage space for the quantity on offer   . The haul included : Sam Dees, J R Bailey, Lou Courtney, Anthony White , and various other now ' big ' ticket collectors albums. :yes:  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

a perfect summary by Paul - no need to read the rest . 

With regards to ' taste changing' very true.

With hindsight I can recall my personal experiences of being offered racks of albums in the very early 1980 's that I turned down ( even @ £1 or less each ) as there was no mass market buying that style , and anyhow was short on storage space for the quantity on offer   . The haul included : Sam Dees, J R Bailey, Lou Courtney, Anthony White , and various other now ' big ' ticket collectors albums. :yes:  :yes:

Great post, the albums you mention there Glyn are downright essential ultra soulful albums, something that doesn't really appeal to the "big ticket" boys and girls

Kev

Social source share

My big worry is that the missus has no idea on values.

I collect all soul / gospel 45's /LPs /CDs that I like so many in my big collection are worth very little but some are worth loads.

She says I have to sort them into separate boxes, but by value. Loads of boxes of 45's that have decent values & the same for 12"ers and LPs.

When I pop my cloggs, then (& only then) will she have any idea which ones to take to a specialist dealer and which ones to take to the charity shop.

Of course, she could just be planning to run away with the milkman & want to know which 500+ records to have it away with !!!  :ohmy:

Social source share

I decided in early march to have a bit of a prune. No financial pressure, though who couldn't do with a few extra quid to cushion one from lifes emergencies, but just the feeling of having thousands of records some of which haven't been off the shelf for 25+ years [helps with condition that] that maybe could do with re-homing [at a price of course]. As a chap with a wide taste in black music somebody somewhere is usually interested in something! Anyway the reason I'm contributing to the thread is just to mention what I'm not selling to see what you chaps think:

1] Anything vaguely within four feet of my assorted 'playing out' boxes...still get asked to DJ now and then and playing very different sets.

2] All the deep soul/quiet storm/ballad stuff for listening at the homestead.

3] All the big classic soul records that aren't rare.. they are classic, people bought them, they are not worth lots of money, they remind me of youthclubs.

And I'm still buying..can't stop can ya?

dean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!