Undervalued 45's

We all complain about 'high prices' of rare singles, but are there tunes that in your opinion that are seriously undervalued?

Here's a starter..

CURRENT SHOULD BE(IMO)

The Furys(Keymen) 50 125

The Fi-Dels (Keymen) 80 200

Los Canarios (Major Minor) 20 100

Gwen and Rae(Bee Bee) 500? 5,000!

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Gwen & Rae £500 :thumbsup:

Who the f*ck would pay £500 for Gwen & rae?? whistling.gif

link

Billy,

On the surface you are right, but do you realise how rare the original is? Unless I am mistaken......one only.

Kev

Social source share

Guest micksmith

Billy,

On the surface you are right, but do you realise how rare the original is? Unless I am mistaken......one only.

Kev

link

OOH KEV-I'VE GOT THE ONLY ONE THEN?????????????????

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

P W Canon - Listen to the beating of my lonely heart.

it was £30 about the time of Stafford, and is still about that today. When you look at prices of other tracks with IMHO, half the quality, it beggars belief.

And I will save you all rant number 5001 on the ###ing airoplane song!

Social source share

Donnie Wells on SCEPTER - cost £20 and very underrated. Also Prophets of Sound on MARSI - cheap group soul piece but class all the way.

Hammy

Social source share

OOH KEV-I'VE GOT THE ONLY ONE THEN?????????????????

link

Mick,

Seriously though, over the years Gwen and Ray must surely be rarer than Frank Wilson. I cannot understand why many pass it over as some kind '3rd division' rarity

Valued at 400 in JM's book........I will buy it any day.

Kev

Social source share

Donnie Wells on SCEPTER - cost £20 and very underrated. Also Prophets of Sound on MARSI - cheap group soul piece but class all the way.

Hammy

link

Ethics - "I want my baby back" on Vent. Sounds like a £500 record. Awesome, uptempo crossover dancer for the price of a curry and a pint.

Jordi

Social source share

Billy,

Kev

link

How do you work that out then Kev. You must have reasons for saying you think there is only one original copy, I wouldn't mind knowing what they are, especially as I sold what I believed to be an original earlier this year.

ps This is a serious question, I'm not taking the piss this time

Social source share

Guest micksmith

DAVE-I AGREE WITH KEV-IT IS A REALLY TOUGH 45. MINE'S THE ONE SOUL SAM PLAYED IN THE 70S-TRADED IT OFF HIM FOR SOME ROCK 'N ROLL RECORDS. DUN GOOD I THINK.

PS DAVE DO YOU KNOW THE MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ORIG/BOOT. NOW DON'T GO LOOKING IN YOUR OVONCHIPS GUIDE.

I REMEMBER TED MASSEY GETTIN' AT LEAST 1 MAYBE 2 COPIES OFF A SO CALLED TOP DEALER-THEN FINDING OUT THEY WERE BOOTS. SO IT'S NOT THAT EASY TELLIN' THE DIFFERENCE-BUT THERE IS A WAY.

MICK.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

YEARS OF KNOWLEDGE JOHNNY. OR USELESS INFO?

WHEN WE'RE ALONG TOGETHER I'LL TELL YOU.

link

Ooohh sounds like a date, don't tell Roger he'll get jealous smile.gif

Social source share

How do you work that out then Kev. You must have reasons for saying you think there is only one original copy, I wouldn't mind knowing what they are, especially as I sold what I believed to be an original earlier this year.

ps This is a serious question, I'm not taking the piss this time

link

Dave,

As Mick said, it really is a top notch rarity and unless I am out of the collectors loop, its rarer than FRANK WILSON.

Simon Soussan booted it as early as 1974. Soul Sam had it and traded it(Keith Minshull?) with someone before getting it back.

The rest of the discs history is a little cloudy, but certainly an incredibly scarce 45 that everybody seems to overlook.

While we are on the subject and correct if I am wrong, I remember being in Bobby Robinson's on 125th St, Harlem, NY in '75 and finding the only 6 copies of The Carletts(his daughters!) on his own BR label, he later reissued it for me.

Yvonne Daniels on Sterling Sound was found the same day. I see it listed by JM at 700. As anyone found it since that copy in 1975?

Kev

Social source share

Yvonne Daniels on Sterling Sound was found the same day. I see it listed by JM at 700. As anyone found it since that copy in 1975

Depends who has that copy. I've heared it played at Ilkeston recently, in the rare room of course. plus seen a copy for sale - no not telling you who's box it was in, in case it's still there. So that could be 2more?

gaye

Social source share

Clarence Townsend "I Found A New Love" on Clara to me seems very undervalued. I know of maybe 8 persons in the UK with copies, and I don't know how many more there are, maybe another 10 or so? Not too many around anyway and as far as I have been able to find out all copies around bar one came from the same find of a small quantity in the mid 90's or so. I have spoken to several US dealers about it and none had even heard about it. A record fast and good enough to have made it at many of the clubs of the past I think. With a similar feel as records like "Sitting In My Class" by Ronnie McNeir, "Let It Be Real" by George Hobson, or maybe a "Call Me" by Emmit Long injected with a lot of speed and testosterone. Not cheap at £500+ but most other equally rare (and sometimes more common) records of an equally high standard are usually found in the £1000 - £2000 bracket. It has mainly been played on the fringes of the scene so far it seems. Levine tried to introduce it as a new spin (let's not go there, again) on his recent revival a few years ago and it must have been by far the best record he "introduced" then. Perhaps the Levine connection is what has prevented some people from playing it even? Silly and far fetched perhaps, but if this is so it is really childish since it is a top drawer northern dance record with a soulfulness and production values that would appeal to some of the crossover/70's crowd as well perhaps, and it deserves to be heard by a wider audience IMO. Good thing with the lack of major exposure is that the price stayed "reasonable" and after 3 years of intense hunting and a few failed "almost there" attempts at getting it, I finally got one earlier this year.

Social source share

Clarence Townsend "I Found A New Love" on Clara to me seems very undervalued.

I agree with everyhting you wrote Christian.

Great tune. :thumbsup: Wouldn't mind a copy myself... :thumbsup:

By the way, what is known about the Clara set-up? wink.gif

A friend of mine has got some Eugene Blacknell 45s on that label.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Clarence Townsend "I Found A New Love" on Clara to me seems very undervalued. I know of maybe 8 persons in the UK with copies, and I don't know how many more there are, maybe another 10 or so? Not too many around anyway and as far as I have been able to find out all copies around bar one came from the same find of a small quantity in the mid 90's or so. I have spoken to several US dealers about it and none had even heard about it. A record fast and good enough to have made it at many of the clubs of the past I think. With a similar feel as records like "Sitting In My Class" by Ronnie McNeir, "Let It Be Real" by George Hobson, or maybe a "Call Me" by Emmit Long injected with a lot of speed and testosterone. Not cheap at £500+ but most other equally rare (and sometimes more common) records of an equally high standard are usually found in the £1000 - £2000 bracket. It has mainly been played on the fringes of the scene so far it seems. Levine tried to introduce it as a new spin (let's not go there, again) on his recent revival a few years ago and it must have been by far the best record he "introduced" then. Perhaps the Levine connection is what has prevented some people from playing it even? Silly and far fetched perhaps, but if this is so it is really childish since it is a top drawer northern dance record with a soulfulness and production values that would appeal to some of the crossover/70's crowd as well perhaps, and it deserves to be heard by a wider audience IMO. Good thing with the lack of major exposure is that the price stayed "reasonable" and after 3 years of intense hunting and a few failed "almost there" attempts at getting it, I finally got one earlier this year.

link

nah don't give levine any credit what so ever, it was already popular when he got it handed it him

sure was a few comments on here when he tried to blag the credit for other djs efforts, Russ Vickers, Alex Jones , John Weston to name a few been pushing it out and think was Ian Cuncliffe and his mucker who responsible for it first showing up

Great "smile on your face " record imo and that snake charmer intro slays me :thumbsup:

Social source share

Are you sure it is the same label? The label for Clarence Townsend is obviously a home made thing, the flip (jazz flavoured bluesy soul ballad with screaming vocals) is written by a Clara Townsend, which I presume is his wife or sister or something like that. The label number is the same as the master number so don't think there is a proper label number. The label has an address of Greenville, Missisippi.

Social source share

nah don't give levine any credit what so ever, it was already popular when he got it handed it him

sure was a few comments on here when he tried to blag the credit for other djs efforts, Russ Vickers, Alex Jones , John Weston to name a few been pushing it out and think was Ian Cuncliffe and his mucker who responsible for it first showing up

Great "smile on your face " record imo and that snake charmer intro slays me :thumbsup:

*I knew you would swallow the bait Mike, since this has been debated on here and elsewhere before, and hence my "(let's not go there, again)". :thumbsup: Like you say, been played by a few on the "rare circuit" (or watcha wanna call it) over the years and appreciated by some, but never really made it bigtime with the northern mainstream, at least not yet. I am a real sucker for fast, simple and persistent records with tight drumming, also love that electric piano (or whatever it is, sounds like a harpsichord almost) similar sounding to the instrument used on "Sitting In My Class". Love the horns, the bass, the soulful and somewhat weird vocal (a bit like Jimmie Raye), love everything about it really.

Social source share

sure was a few comments on here when he tried to blag the credit for other djs efforts, Russ Vickers, Alex Jones , John Weston to name a few been pushing it out and think was Ian Cuncliffe and his mucker who responsible for  it  first showing up

*I knew you would swallow the bait Mike, since this has been debated on here and elsewhere before, and hence my "(let's not go there, again)".  :thumbsup:   Like you say, been played by a few on the "rare circuit" (or watcha wanna call it) over the years and appreciated by some, but never really made it bigtime with the northern mainstream, at least not yet. I am a real sucker for fast, simple and persistent records with tight drumming, also love that electric piano (or whatever it is, sounds like a harpsichord almost) similar sounding to the instrument used on "Sitting In My Class". Love the horns, the bass, the soulful and somewhat weird vocal (a bit like Jimmie Raye), love everything about it really.

link

yep hooked me there Christian

though had to say it, you know how it is <_ :0>

maybe its time has come , mucker picked up one recently, price 500 ish I think, insert green smiley

mike

Social source share

No, not at all.  :unsure: I'll try to find out more about the Eugene Blacknell records later this week. I seem to remember them sounding quite bluesy.

Here's another one on a Clara label:

CLARA 111 - Betty Green - Lonely Girl / ?

link

Clara 111 Betty Green He's Down On Me b/w Lonely Girl. Also came out on Crackerjack. Good Deep Soul A side.

Social source share

Could be wrong, but I presume this is a different and unrelated label. I also heard (maybe from you Russ, in a previous forum discussion :thumbsup: ) Ion was one of the first, if not the first, to play it. I spoke to Alex Jones about it and he told me about the find, that a small amount of copies was found with some music/record business character in the US, half of the copies were faulty, possibly unplayable, pressings the other half was OK and all the copies around come from this find, except one beat up copy turned up by Andy Dyson and this copy he sold to Levine. Alex didn't recall who it was though, someone from the UK I presume, maybe someone on here knows who?

Social source share

Could be wrong, but I presume this is a different and unrelated label. I also heard (maybe from you Russ, in a previous forum discussion blush.gif ) Ion was one of the first, if not the first, to play it. I spoke to Alex Jones about it and he told me about the find, that a small amount of copies was found with some music/record business character in the US, half of the copies were faulty, possibly unplayable, pressings the other half was OK and all the copies around come from this find, except one beat up copy turned up by Andy Dyson and this copy he sold to Levine. Alex didn't recall who it was though, someone from the UK I presume, maybe someone on here knows who?

link

said in earlier post thought Ian Cuncliffe and mucker had something to do with it,

but of course could be confused :thumbsup:

does pop in here, will email

Social source share

said in earlier post thought Ian Cuncliffe and mucker had something to do with it,

but of course could be confused whistling.gif

does pop in here, will email

link

Got in touch with Ian, whos been busy fishing and such recently

(always good to confirm braincells are not as bad as thought)

here's his reply

Hi Mike, re the C.T 45 I had a copy in the early 90,s I use to spin it quite

a bit quite a few years later I heard that ION was playin it c/up

dont know why he C/UP because myself and several others ie Phil Wainwright

had been playin it for a number of years, the funniest thing

is when couple years ago I.Levine claimed to have just discovered it. daft

sod.......

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!