Oldest Song Played On Northern Scene?

Don't know if this topic has been covered before. I was reading a book last night (Say it One More Time for the Broken Hearted) and it said in there that Sea Cruise-Frankie Ford was released in 1959. I know this used to be played (is it played anywhere these days?). This got me wondering what the oldest record is on the Northern Scene, any advances on 1959?

DM

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Don't know if this topic has been covered before. I was reading a book last night (Say it One More Time for the Broken Hearted) and it said in there that Sea Cruise-Frankie Ford was released in 1959. I know this used to be played (is it played anywhere these days?). This got me wondering what the oldest record is on the Northern Scene, any advances on 1959?

DM

I once played Arthur Smith's "Guitar Boogie", off a 78, as the closing record at the original, pre-100 Club 6T's in West Hampstead - which was released in 1948. Does that count?

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Guest martyn

Seem to recall Nina Simone -My Baby Just Cares For Me going big on the 'mainstream' nighter scene after exposure at West Hampstead,I doubt very much if it would have been a Nothern hit otherwise.

Social source share

Guest claude rains

Lillian Offitt - Miss You So (1957)

Varetta Dillard - That's Why I Cry (1958)

Think I can top that

Vera Lynn "Do the dooddle bug" Un Issued 1948

Think at the mouse trap, only joking.

:thumbsup::wicked:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

A big record at the end of West Hampstead 6TS was Fats Waller's 'Your Feet's Too Big' which must have been from the thirties!

And Bull Nose Jackson 'Big 10 inch' and Paul Gayten 'Nervous Boogie' - although i should imagine they were mid 50's....there's a little Esther Phillips on Savoy that I've heard out and about and the Jo Henderson 'Baby please don't go'....I think that's 1955........Jo

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Didn't "One Scotch, one bourbon, one beer" from the 'fifties get played at the end of quite a few nights in the 1980s? Think it might've been Ivor Jones who played it. It's one of those records that gets played all over the place. I've heard it at in reggae clubs, wedding receptions, you name it......

Aren't scotch & bourbon the same thing BTW? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Aren't scotch & bourbon the same thing BTW? :thumbsup:

no

recently bought - willie mae "big mama" thornton - hound dog -1953

Social source share

I would imagine that Jimmy McCracklin's "The Walk" must be one of the oldest records to get widespread play and appeal on the NS scene. No idea when it ws made, but pretty sure I've seen a copy on 78 somewhere.

Social source share

Are you looking for oldest "recording" or oldest "song"! Ila Vann "can't help loving dat man " is from Porgy & Bess (I think) and that was a Broadway show 30s/40s ?

Social source share

I would imagine that Jimmy McCracklin's "The Walk" must be one of the oldest records to get widespread play and appeal on the NS scene. No idea when it ws made, but pretty sure I've seen a copy on 78 somewhere.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!