Football And Northern Soul

So we went to the England match last night and thought we'd get some pre match atmosphere (as there isn't any at wembley) at the Globe in Baker Street.The pub was heaving with fans singing and having a laugh and during a lull I heard "let's clean up the ghetto" playing in the background so I manouvered myself nearer to a speaker to listen and the next tune was "come on train" so I asked the barmaid who was responsible for the music and she said that it was her.I asked her whether or not there were any soul nights in and around that area and she had no idea what I was talking about and she just liked the music.I advised her to look around for an event (suggesting the 100 club as it's the only london venue I know).She said that she would try it and take her friends.How many other people are there that now listen to the easily available cds but have no idea about the music?

Edited by pilgrimsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

"How many other people are there that now listen to the easily available cds but have no idea about the music?"

Not football related but,i went to the Leeds Armouries in November last year,and in the cafe they were playing Williams & Watson - Too Late.

As we queued,more classic NS.So,the young lady behind the counter was asked if it was her cd. She didn't have a clue what we were talking about.

And the cd played on.....................

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I was working as a manager for a big pub chain in London for a while and the area manager was a northern soul fan too. He ordered for each pub he was overseeing up to 4 Northern Soul CD's through the juke box operator so the staff can listen to some propper music ;)

Edited by viphitman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

So we went to the England match last night and thought we'd get some pre match atmosphere (as there isn't any at wembley) at the Globe in Baker Street.The pub was heaving with fans singing and having a laugh and during a lull I heard "let's clean up the ghetto" playing in the background so I manouvered myself nearer to a speaker to listen and the next tune was "come on train" so I asked the barmaid who was responsible for the music and she said that it was her.I asked her whether or not there were any soul nights in and around that area and she had no idea what I was talking about and she just liked the music.I advised her to look around for an event (suggesting the 100 club as it's the only london venue I know).She said that she would try it and take her friends.How many other people are there that now listen to the easily available cds but have no idea about the music?

hello there.....been in a few shops ect and heard some quite obscure soul that l would normally hear when out....

Social source share

Was in John Lewis Nottingham a few years ago and Jesse James Love is allright came on. You'd expect the snake and its ilk but this tune? Confirmed to me John Lewis is a classy outfit :)

Social source share

Landed at Gatwick on BA flight back from the states. They usually put music over the air whilst everyone waits before they can get off. Was amazed when the Dynells "Call On Me" came on. Hardly the sort of soul music you'd expect BA to play is it!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

TK Maxx Terry.? :lol:

Nothing wrong with TK MARX :D .......But it was JEEVES AND HAWKES

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Just watching homes under the hammer (sad I know ) whilst having a coffee and kiki dee - on a magic carpet ride comes on :-o

not sure this counts lol :):D

Social source share

Me and Peter Shirley were walking through Derby a few years ago on the way to see Leicester play...we heard 'The Joker' blasting out of a pub..We opened the door to investigate.... It was deserted...not even a barman...it felt kinda spooky!

Was i djing there?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You support Aberdeen Mate! They should Play Their was a time at every game at PItoddrie! :lol:

THey are playing Mashed potatoes at Bloomfield Road because thepitch resembles a Tattie field!

how do mate

were like the northern soul fans from the early 80's(same time aswell) on a break from real football & the goodtimes.

we will be back..saying thats not football your playing,this is football :yes:

Social source share

how do mate

were like the northern soul fans from the early 80's(same time aswell) on a break from real football & the goodtimes.

we will be back..saying thats not football your playing,this is football :yes:

Hi Steve - I retire in 3 weeks time - DJing at the Kinky soul all dayer in March - Me & Hosie are the guest DJs

You been buying anything?

REgards Steve

Social source share

Hi Steve - I retire in 3 weeks time - DJing at the Kinky soul all dayer in March - Me & Hosie are the guest DJs

You been buying anything?

REgards Steve

going off topic here mate.

about time nhs got rid of ya,10 years later than you thot,lol.

havnt been buying anything,cant be bothered,lol.

enjoy aldayer,might try & make that,if can be bothered.lol.

Social source share

There is a strong link with Hibs supporters and northern. The Hibs supporters club hold alldayers (not that you have to be a Hibs supporter to get in).

Hearts like to say they are the heart and soul of Edinburgh, but we all know they have no morals and certainly NO SOUL.

Social source share

Just reading Northern Monkeys which is THE book on Casuals, Terrace culture and the link to music, which obviously was northern in the 60ts and 70ts. Just on the section about the influence on fashion due to the Wheel.

Great read.

Not read Northern Monkeys and will give it a go, the only 2 books that came close to being factual on Casuals that I've read is Dressers and Casuals. Think it would be a stretch to say northern soul had any influence on the fashion aspect of casuals, dressers or what ever we called ourselves.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!