To Dance Or Not To Dance?

I like to get up and strut my stuff/shake a leg now and again sadly not as much as I used to , getting old and knackered methinks but sometimes the music and the atmosphere get me up and I can just keep going and its times like these when I really appreciate this scene ,

as for style well me and angie always have a chuckle when certain people we know get up to dance because its obvious theres another tune in their heads other than the one they are dancing to, and some peoples dancing styles are unique and quirky but hey nho who,s right whose wrong , if you like the sound and want to dance get up and dance there are no rules :hatsoff2:

tell you what really amuses us is the newbies who have done a bit of latin or ballroom a la strictly and strut their stuff to northern :P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

fiteen stone of pug ugly greying balding plasterer and I only go to dance I always thought that was the point, and when the sausage chips and peas give up I wont go again

Social source share

thats what im gonna do im off out tonight so lets just see whats happens lolol but thats what makes me get nervous because u have sum fantastic dancers and u think my god im gonna look like a fool, but like everyone keeps saying just feel the music and go for it :D

nat x

Very wise quotes from Andy J. Reminds me when i was a kid, local youth club disco, waiting for the first time (right time) to give it a go. There is no right time. The other 'fantastic dancers' you see may look good, but the're just doing their own thing too. No-one cares if you look a fool. You can't define what a fool is on the floor (viz someone with drink in their hand/ or pissed). It's not about competition (unless you are in a competition), so just go for it! The more you wait, the more you're missing dancing to your favourite sounds sista! Consider dancing when there are lots of people on the floor - and you wont feel so exposed.

atb

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I hate it when djs play a tune and say "if this don't get Bearsy dancing a nothing will" lol.

I love dancing and even more so when you really get in the groove and get all lost in the music. Sometimes I just don't get the groove but still have a great time chatting crap etc etc

In fact I was rather bolder stating "if this don't get Bearsy up dancing nothing will and further I will even shave off all my hair to become bold as......."

Glad you danced.......... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've been attending soul nights for a year now and I always sit and watch the other dancers and think I'm gonna go and dance in a bit and then one of your favourite songs come on and the nerves kick in lol so you stay sitting down and carry on watching the other dancers but I always have a dance round the house with northern soul on :D but there's no crowds but maybe one day ill just get up and go for it its like when I'm going on stage my nerves am all over the place but once I've got the second record on they have gone so for now I'll stick to the dancing round the house lol

Nat x

Don't worry what people think just get on that dance floor and let the music take you over, i'm 57 and i love to dance (not very good though)but i dont care what people think or say i just love the music. Most Northern fans will not care how you dance it is there to be enjoyed KTF

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I must admit, I did seem to be 'out of sync' that night :D But, yep no one seemed to mind :thumbsup:

Len :thumbsup:

Hey Lenny, Admit it, as you get older you cant "keep it up all nite"

Cant wait for next Len,s Den, Soul in the Bowl.

ATB Garry Huxley

Social source share

Guest soulray1

For many of us, and I'd include myself in that group, the dancing at a night is a real must! If I haven't spent at least half the night on the floor, and soaked through at least a shirt or two with sweat, I don't feel like I've had a "proper" night, so to speak!

But I accept that others seem to have a great night, chatting, listening and watching, without ever darkening the dancefloor. So, it takes all sorts really.

Have to say though, if NO ONE was dancing, I can't see how we'd get that Northern atmosphere, that we all crave so much! So that's why I "just kept on dancing" I keep telling myself! :wink:

Social source share

Nope!..... can't see anywhere where I said anything about it being a "Dance competition"... :g:

YOU DIDN'T MENTION DANCE COMPETITION THAT WAS ME!

I shudder to think what some of the bar staff and glass collectors must think when they're walking around these venue's seeing these half pi55ed pensioners in bizzare outfits throwing themselves around a dance floor in this random fashion, I can only imagine they think it's a perfect example of why care in the community doesn't work.

MOST OF THE BAR STAFF AND GLASS COLLECTORS I'VE SEEN ARE YOUNG PEOPLE WHO ARN'T INTERESTED IN SERVING YOU LET ALONE WATCH YOU DANCE!

COME ON LIGHTEN UP IF PEOPLE ARE NOT GOOD DANCERS SO WHAT AS LONG AS THEY ENJOY THE MUSIC AND CAUSE NO TROUBLE WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

COME ON LIGHTEN UP IF PEOPLE ARE NOT GOOD DANCERS SO WHAT AS LONG AS THEY ENJOY THE MUSIC AND CAUSE NO TROUBLE WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?

There's no need to shout! - we heard you the first time....

If I was to turn up at my local soul night and start Pogo-ing around the dance floor gobbing on people would that then be Ok because I'm just 'doing my own thing and enjoying the music'?.....

When I go to a 'Northern Soul night' to hear 'Northern Soul music' it's not an unreasonable ask to see a dance floor with people doing something approximating a 'Northern Soul dance' (strange request I know). I'm not on about people who are bad or good 'Northern soul Dancers' I'm on about the people who make no attempt whatsoever to even try to dance in a Northern soul Style, Now I'm not talking about doing spins, splits and handstands etc, just doing (or at least trying to do) a simple 2-step dance which most people blessed with the ability of movement should be able to perform.

I don't think it's alot to ask that people show a little respect and courtesy to the history of what for the most part is a 'Dance' scene by at least putting in a few minutes practice before stepping onto a dance floor.

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Zed1 I wasn't shouting mate I was trying to distinguish your writing and mine! I'm still getting used to this quote reply malarkey!! and no Pogoing and spitting would be wrong, I hear what you're saying but surely a scene that has been around since the 1960's has a number of dancing styles which means different styles for different people, perhaps all venues should have a warm up/dance lesson area!!!

Social source share

surely a scene that has been around since the 1960's has a number of dancing styles which means different styles for different people

Maybe the venues you've attended have a free for all when it comes to dancing but I'd think most people would say there are really only 2 styles, 'The 2-step' and the 'Stomp' (shuffle) and anything people do after that is just a variation on these basic themes.

I'll say again, I'm not on about people who are bad 'northern soul' Dancers, it's about the people who arn't even dancing in a northern soul style, most of us have managed to watch and learn the dance down the years - why can't these people?...

I'll take the 'Warm up/lesson area' comment as the joke I assume it was intended...

Edited by Zed1
Social source share

Maybe the venues you've attended have a free for all when it comes to dancing but I'd think most people would say there are really only 2 styles, 'The 2-step' and the 'Stomp' (shuffle) and anything people do after that is just a variation on these basic themes.

I'll say again, I'm not about people who are bad 'northern soul' Dancers, it's about the people who arn't even dancing in a northern soul style, most of us have manage to watch and learn the dance down the years - why can't these people?...

I'll take the 'Warm up/lesson area' comment as the joke I assume it was intended...

I take your point on board reference the two styles of dancing and maybe the people you talk about are possibly partners of soulies who have never been into the music before and yes maybe they should try and learn the basics! Last comment on warm up area was a joke!

Social source share

Guest Alfa166

For me Dancing is the difference between hearing the music and feeling the music, I have my few set steps that I repeat endlessly to every track but if it feels right then that's good enough. When I am not Dancing I enjoy watching the Dancers, either because they are excellent or because at times they might look outlandish, either way its entertaining and adds to the atmosphere. Northern Soul is a Dance Culture that is in us all whether we have the confidence to display it or not. Without the Dancing element then there is no Scene, it just becomes going down the pub with some mates who like the same music.

The only time its ever a problem for me is when you are at a fundamentally non-Soulie venue and you get the locals having a go, knocking into everyone whilst dancing with their pint.

Social source share

For me Dancing is the difference between hearing the music and feeling the music, I have my few set steps that I repeat endlessly to every track but if it feels right then that's good enough. When I am not Dancing I enjoy watching the Dancers, either because they are excellent or because at times they might look outlandish, either way its entertaining and adds to the atmosphere. Northern Soul is a Dance Culture that is in us all whether we have the confidence to display it or not. Without the Dancing element then there is no Scene, it just becomes going down the pub with some mates who like the same music.

The only time its ever a problem for me is when you are at a fundamentally non-Soulie venue and you get the locals having a go, knocking into everyone whilst dancing with their pint.

I would have to say exactly the opposite-it is when non-soulies attend and they are not aware of the "dance floor etiquette"(see Len`s post above.

Social source share

Guest Alfa166

I would have to say exactly the opposite-it is when non-soulies attend and they are not aware of the "dance floor etiquette"(see Len`s post above.

I'm really making the same point, but when non-soulies out number Soulies due to poor venue choice it usually gets messy by about the 3rd pint....Taxi!

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I found on friday night that i can no longer dance to 100mph tunes, my knees won't take it (fell down too many hills in the search of photo opportunities) but it doesn't stop me a tad slower :D

Social source share

For me dancing is a very important part of my relationship with the music. I think most dancers are in their own world with the music and it can be quite a spiritual thing. When someone is dancing this way they deserve a bit of respect. Wondering about the dancefloor with a pint, bad lindyhopping with aged partner, being pissed on the floor, dancing like your a Hull KR Cheerleader are all disrespectful acts. People who fail to respect the dancefloor should be fined £3 per offence.

Social source share

I'll say again, I'm not on about people who are bad 'northern soul' Dancers, it's about the people who arn't even dancing in a northern soul style, most of us have managed to watch and learn the dance down the years - why can't these people?...

Well I've read this comment a time or two and I think you're talking rubbish ,I don't abide by any of your dancing rules :ohmy:

Bazza :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Very good topic. I love to dance and a night out without dancing would be an incomplete night for me

I understand that not everyone wants to dance and I have no problem with that, however I do have a problem when soulies who never dance crtiicise the style of soulies who dance

I agree with some of the previous comments about how the manners on the dance floor have deteriorated, there was a time when people would walk around a dance floor instead of taking a short cut across the floor and why do some people think it is acceptable to chat and spill their drinks all over the floor

One last moan! Talcum powder, why do some people have to make a statement by drenching the floor with the stuff having one dance before leaving never to return to the floor having ruined what was a very good dance floor

Regarding anyone who says they are too shy or embarresed to dance, get up you'll love it and may possibly enjoy the night even more

• Helpful 1
Social source share

II'm a crap dancer but in my head I'm Fred Astaire.

I'm the complete opposite to that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope ya'll had a good weekend wherever you 'Strutted your stuff'. Hark at us, at our age - It's just wrong! :thumbup::elvis: :elvis: :elvis::thumbup:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Very good topic. I love to dance and a night out without dancing would be an incomplete night for me

I understand that not everyone wants to dance and I have no problem with that, however I do have a problem when soulies who never dance crtiicise the style of soulies who dance

I agree with some of the previous comments about how the manners on the dance floor have deteriorated, there was a time when people would walk around a dance floor instead of taking a short cut across the floor and why do some people think it is acceptable to chat and spill their drinks all over the floor

One last moan! Talcum powder, why do some people have to make a statement by drenching the floor with the stuff having one dance before leaving never to return to the floor having ruined what was a very good dance floor

Regarding anyone who says they are too shy or embarresed to dance, get up you'll love it and may possibly enjoy the night even more

Just how I feel although I prefer a slippy floor but know what you mean about over doin' the talk.

If someone's enjoying dancing, they look better than if they are trying too hard, regardless of style.

Forget every one else and do your own thing (just don't knock the beer or your neighbours over).

I'd have to be dead or deaf not to get up personally but know plenty of people who are just as happy to sit it out all night.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I like to get up and strut my stuff/shake a leg now and again sadly not as much as I used to , getting old and knackered methinks but sometimes the music and the atmosphere get me up and I can just keep going and its times like these when I really appreciate this scene ,

as for style well me and angie always have a chuckle when certain people we know get up to dance because its obvious theres another tune in their heads other than the one they are dancing to, and some peoples dancing styles are unique and quirky but hey nho who,s right whose wrong , if you like the sound and want to dance get up and dance there are no rules :hatsoff2:

tell you what really amuses us is the newbies who have done a bit of latin or ballroom a la strictly and strut their stuff to northern :P

I quote "If you want to dance get up and dance there are no rules"

Never a better statement ever made mate, Hey we stole all those latin, r&b tracks from somewhere else ???????

Garry Huxley

Social source share

Great post and spot on.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

That's a brilliant way of looking at it. That's why those northern soul dance classes (especially on Youtube) are so silly. The people are doing the steps but they don't feel the music as far as I can see. It's the difference between acting and living.

Social source share

Guest kev such

Dancing for me. Have to be in the mood sometimes, but when I am WAHOO!!!!!!!

Dislocated my right knee, jumping in the air and coming down in a half splits at a do in Kettering a few years ago. Still happens sometimes, doesnt stop me though. And yes I know as Karen says "I'll feel it when Im older". Im feeling it now!!!!!!!

Down to the individual really. Couple of people I know who go to do's, love the music, but as they said " We cant take our eyes off the people dancing, wish we could do that".

Kev

Edited by kev such
Social source share

YOU love to dance, think thats the understatment of the year fred
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Some of these '2 room' local venues produce incredible vistas, both ways. In recent weeks,

I've seen fellas dancin @ Mach 1 to Barry White & Tavares & several (relatively young) fellas

& gals 'freestylin' to NS stuff. I don't mind the latter - just glad they seem to appreciate

my music - but the former make me guts churn.

Whilst I'm at it: it seems to me that very few attendees @ NS venues have any idea how to

dance to a sound slower than m/t, other than the last smooch & 'The Drifter' :ohmy: Floor empties.

To my mind, you either 'feel' the soul in a toon or don't.

Just me tuppenceworth.

Social source share

I can remember a lot of people always asking if they looked ok dancing lol, I hardly used to dance then but now don't give a shit although do still have the odd times my nerves kick in, I do hate people who discuss or take the piss out of people dancing as everyone is different we all have our own ways & rhythm who's to say what's right anyway can you imagine if we all danced the same it would be like bloody line dancing classes & how boring would that be, & we are all suffering now with knackered knees, hips & backs so can only do what we can, I've seen guys spinning their wheel chairs at some venues to still be on the dance floor & fair play to them why shouldn't they nobody bats an eye at them so why should we worry really, we will be too old soon so enjoy while we still can

Social source share

Dancing is very important.

You could love the same music as I do, without ever having danced to it: that much I get: but it could never mean as much to you.

You don't have to be brilliant, just get up & express yersen. That is 'soul' .One of the finest things about NS is that we are very non-judgemental.

Well I must say you soon changed the record Droysdonian :g: , it was only a month ago you had a go at someone for not dancing , how did it go standing on the edge of the floor with a bottle of beer ..can't be right ?

I love to dance but I can't physically dance too often now :( not since my operation , I think they are called scar tissue adhesion's , they get really tight when i have gone a step too many and I have to sit down .

Few years ago I used to question people that didn't dance like it was wrong , I guess it was my exuberance ? I am more understanding now and I too find it a bit annoying when questioned ... why am i not dancing

Funniest thing i saw was a friend being asked why she wasn't dancing , her reply was short and sweet... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brian Fradgley

Northern soul has always been about dancing.

Many DJ's don't give a shit these days - why should you !

Get out there and enjoy your well earned night out.

Boycot venues without a dancefloor policy.

Even if for some reason you can't dance you can still enjoy watching people who can and soak up the atmosphere created or reminisce on times when you could tear up the dancefloor.

OLD SKOOL RULES !!.

Social source share

Northern soul has always been about dancing.

Many DJ's don't give a shit these days - why should you !

Get out there and enjoy your well earned night out.

Boycot venues without a dancefloor policy.

Even if for some reason you can't dance you can still enjoy watching people who can and soak up the atmosphere created or reminisce on times when you could tear up the dancefloor.

OLD SKOOL RULES !!.

Out of interest, what's a dance floor policy and old Skool rules?

To answer the original question, I dance when I want to which is most times I go out, who gives a s71te if others don't feel the need to, as long as they enjoy themselves.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Out of interest, what's a dance floor policy and old Skool rules?

To answer the original question, I dance when I want to which is most times I go out, who gives a s71te if others don't feel the need to, as long as they enjoy themselves.

I'm not sure but I wish Clubs would stop punters drinking on dance floors
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

For me Dancing is the difference between hearing the music and feeling the music,

Bang on! If I don't feel it, I aint dancing! If something 'feels strange' mid-song, i'll stop dancing and get off the floor.

(usually me sock suspenders riding a bit too high...) :huh::lol:

Social source share

I'm a crap dancer, but I can't begin to say how much pleasure dancing gives me. And because I enjoy myself so much I hardly ever feel self-conscious even though I could be dancing by some of the best dancers around. So don't let being not very good stop anybody, it doesn't stop me.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

It would seem to be a simple question but i guess the answers are quite complex.

Given people travel great distances or drop in from around the corner and range in age from <18 to 60 + probably sums up the answers

Some tunes just hit that soul spot for me and you hit the floor ! (regardless of the work load that week or the journey there ).

I remember a gig in coventry once (above an ice skating venue ) and the floor was rough concrete from where the carpet floor tiles had been lifted , naturally the music one us and people danced regardless .... some tapped their feet , some clapped and some just listened and watched.

Northern soul , Good music , good people , good dance floor , good beer , good record bar = dancers

cheers Frank

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

What makes me laugh is that 90% of the people that say "play something I can dance to" only dance 1 way no matter what the tempo or genre of the tune is, get your heads out your arses so your ears can have a propa listen and just frigging dance and stop moaning cos a dj might play something you either don't like or don't know, bloody dance floor police think they know it all, ps, if people don't wanna dance and just sit and enjoy then they pay their monies they make their choice...

Social source share

Guest micky p

I'll dance when i feel like it...

But, just cos they ain't dancing it doesn't mean they ain't enjoying it.

THEN THEY SHOULD STAY IN THE HOUSE WITH THERE PIPE,SLIPPERS AND A COPY OF THE RECORD COLLECTOR,REPEATING OVER AND OVER AGAIN "I CAN DANCE IF I WANT TO" NO U CANT SO GET TO BED !! DONT FORGET TO TALC YOUR BITS NOW ! LOL

Social source share

Guest micky p

Im 50 in june and i can still stomp all over the younger souls ! having said that, people can dance in their heads cant they ? if u can dance,you can dance ! if u cant,then u can watch and listen ! i think the one and only answer to this topic is who cares ! if u dont want to go to a soul night and not dance then thats up to u but u are still there for the love of the tune's ! and how you deal with the music is entirely up to you ! your smile when your favourite record comes on,is you dancing to me !!! KTF

Social source share

Guest Geordie Martin

Funny innit, you had to kinda serve an apprenticeship to dance to northern soul, people were clapping and doing amazing acrobatic moves at specific points in a record and until you knew a little about both you wouldn't dare dance outside your bedroom!  Seen some amazing dancers over the years and it can be a little intimidating when the best are on the floor but it's beyond my ken that you wouldn't have a try a some point in a night. Northern soul isn't a venue, it's a state of mind that you only get when you look around when dancing to' A Little Togetherness' and the person next to you is frothing at the mouth too!!!

Social source share

It would seem to be a simple question but i guess the answers are quite complex.

Given people travel great distances or drop in from around the corner and range in age from <18 to 60 + probably sums up the answers

Some tunes just hit that soul spot for me and you hit the floor ! (regardless of the work load that week or the journey there ).

I remember a gig in coventry once (above an ice skating venue ) and the floor was rough concrete from where the carpet floor tiles had been lifted , naturally the music one us and people danced regardless .... some tapped their feet , some clapped and some just listened and watched.

Northern soul , Good music , good people , good dance floor , good beer , good record bar = dancers

cheers Frank

when was this and where in coventry as theres no ice rink here ?
Social source share

Don't dance much now, since i packed in the magic dancing powder!

I wish a few others would pack in the 'Magic Dancing Powder' as I'm getting fed up slipping on my arse when I go for a pint!... :lol:

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!