Help Needed To Identify Some Deep Soul Tracks

Rick Cooper

I found an old cassette compilation of some US singles that were big in the Netherlands clubs and parties in the late 70s. I only listed the titles so haven't a clue who some of them are by. Found quite a few on Refosoul but would be grateful for any help with identifying artists and labels of these:-

1. "Say It" ( not J J Barnes or Masqueraders)

Male vocal with horns and strings

Lyric sample

If you found someone who loves more than I do

then just say it say it say it

(Wilson Picket type growls)

2."Lovin on Borrowed Time" (the William Bell song but done similar way to Mitty Collier version )

Male vocal , backing singers, horns, guitar intro

Lyric

I'm caught in a love trap, captive to your charm

3."The Wrong Girl"

Female vocal and backing singers

Lyric

He walks the streets at night, his shadows follow him in the moonlight.

Chorus: he fell in love with the wrong girl

4. "May the Best Man Win"

Male with female singers, piano intro and horns

Lyric

You say that you really love him and I know that you care a little bit about me,

You can't make up your mind

5. "How Much Can a Man Take" (not Big John Hamilton)

Male vocal , guitar intro and organ

Lyric

I have a woman, she treats me so mean.

There are another 5 or 6 but this will do for a start.

I think all were on small US labels from mid sixties to early seventies.

Hope someone can help.

Rick

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Rick, most possibly these ...

1. John Henry - Say It - Brownstone ... also two releases as John "Rootman" Henry on Dig and Amber Antique

2. Bobby Mack "Lovin' On Borrowed Time - Midas

3. Betty Wright - The Wrong Girl - Alston ???????

4. Ollie Nightingale - May The Best Man Win - Pride .......... also done by Frankie Lee but Nightingales has the piano intro

5. Dellie Hoskie - How Much Can A Man Take - Noble

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Rick, most possibly these ...

1. John Henry - Say It - Brownstone ... also two releases as John "Rootman" Henry on Dig and Amber Antique

2. Bobby Mack "Lovin' On Borrowed Time - Midas

3. Betty Wright - The Wrong Girl - Alston ???????

4. Ollie Nightingale - May The Best Man Win - Pride .......... also done by Frankie Lee but Nightingales has the piano intro

5. Dellie Hoskie - How Much Can A Man Take - Noble

Dave

Thanks for your help.

Bobby Mac and Dellie Hoskie on Noble are the ones, I remembered them as soon as I saw the names. John Henry is the right song and singer but the version I have is slower than the Amber Antique one. Nightingales not the same but I'll listen again. "Wrong Girl" by Betty Wright should be on YouTube but a quick look hasn't shown anything. The song is about a boy and girl who fall in love then find out they are brother and sister which should narrow it down.

thanks

Rick

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Rick, I'm not sure if the original cut as John Henry on Brownstone is slower or the same as the "Rootman" releases on Dig and Amber Antique. All three are supposedly 1972 so I would imagine they'd be the same ... but possibly different

If not Ollie Nightingale then poss Frankie Lee or Reuben Bell. Sound file here but I can't find a clip for Reuben Bell though unfortunately

https://www.sirshambl...e_lee/index.php

I'll keep my ear out for the Betty Wright lyrics

:thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

hi.track 1 "say it" by j.p. robinson(alston)-flip to "please accept my call".also the same song done by john "rootman" henry on amber antique records.ta bob.

Bob

Thanks for your help. John"Rootman" Henry is probably the one I have but could be J P Robinson as I can't find a soundclip. Either way I know what to look for now.

Rick

Social source share

If not Ollie Nightingale then poss Frankie Lee or Reuben Bell. Sound file here but I can't find a clip for Reuben Bell though unfortunately

https://www.sirshambl...e_lee/index.php

I'll keep my ear out for the Betty Wright lyrics

:thumbsup:

Dave ,

The Frankie Lee is the right song but not the version I have so must be Reuben Bell. Hopefully I'll be able to get hold of a copy of this and the others now I know what to look for.

thanks

Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert