What Have I Missed?

Orotava

Hi All,

I went to my last Allnighter (Wigan) in 1981 and stupidly sold my record collection. I`m now getting back into Northern Soul, buying what records I can afford and just wondered what 60s stormers I`ve missed in the past 32 years (or is it a mega list)?

Also I`d be interested to know if they`ve been reissued (if that still happens) - I know original vinyl rules but believe me my finances are such that I`m restricted to 70s boots or some original say £10ish sounds.

Thanks in advance and please be gentle with me!

Social source share

its a buyers marketplace but what you're looking for is very much dependant on availability & price as even a lot of the boots of the 70's command decent prices. if your finances are limited you can turn to the legit releases that seem to be appearing every week on labels such as out-a-sight, the sound quality is very good. there are a host of great dealers who post on here, always offering good rates in the main and if you check out sales the turnover is mindboggling. i watch it like everybody else on here, like dangling rod & line in the water, waiting to catch a much wanted fish...you can wait for ages even for a cheapie, thats how frustrating it gets sometimes but it is worth it.

Social source share

Hi All,

I went to my last Allnighter (Wigan) in 1981 and stupidly sold my record collection. I`m now getting back into Northern Soul, buying what records I can afford and just wondered what 60s stormers I`ve missed in the past 32 years (or is it a mega list)?

Also I`d be interested to know if they`ve been reissued (if that still happens) - I know original vinyl rules but believe me my finances are such that I`m restricted to 70s boots or some original say £10ish sounds.

I reckon you'll find ebay UK just what you need. :thumbsup:

Social source share

https://acerecords.co.uk/browse/singles?genre=48 will show you 90 ish currently available 45s. The Kent ones are Northern and modern / 70s soul and some early 60s R&B. Excuse the blatant plug. Ady

PS the Northern's a mixture of classics, recently discovered master tapes on vinyl for the first time anywhere and rareties available on a UK press for the first time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi All,

Catching up on the records you've missed in that period is gonna be a massive but very pleasurable task I can tell you.

I started over 20 years ago with the intention of trying to hear as many new records as I could and I'm still hearing them all the time, its mind boggling how many there are.

Basically if you start now expect to be hearing new records till the day you depart this mortal coil :huh:

Its all out there, get tracking it down and have fun - you've got some fantastic stuff to discover :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve L
Social source share

Thanks for the info and advice guys - much appreciated. Are there any monster tunes I really should look out for, or are there too many to mention - if so I guess the Northern scene is in relatively good shape?

Thanks again.

That's for another thread i think. :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You say that you are restricted to boots and £10ish originals.

In that case be prepared to pay more for the boots than originals!

For example, I just got £51.00 for a Marie Knight - TNWTTAG boot - frightening, the land of the bootleg these days.

Social source share

For example, I just got £51.00 for a Marie Knight - TNWTTAG boot - frightening, the land of the bootleg these days.

Lucky Fooker ! :lol: bet you're well chuffed Barry ! As I put on another thread a while back , I struggle to sell nice Original sounds in good nick on ebay and

they usually start at £4.99

any way well done matey

S :thumbsup: wifty

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Lucky Fooker ! :lol: bet you're well chuffed Barry ! As I put on another thread a while back , I struggle to sell nice Original sounds in good nick on ebay and

they usually start at £4.99

any way well done matey

S :thumbsup: wifty

The money only went toward buying a Charles Johnson back. :lol:

I'm wondering that to some people if buying the boots that you grew up with is like buying the car that was yer first motor or tracking yer first scooter down.?!?!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You say that you are restricted to boots and £10ish originals.

In that case be prepared to pay more for the boots than originals!

Wow - been on ebay for a few hours and see what you mean!

I think saving harder and buying £15 - £20 originals is the way to go then.

I`m still intrigued by what monster cover-ups I`ve missed though?

Thanks and regards,

Social source share

Hi All,

I have PM'd you.

Kegsy

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

You could do a lot worse than listen to Geese and Dean, two guys with taste. :yes:

There are so many to list that are getting more recent plays, I suggest you go out with a pencil and notepad, and funnily enough many are fairly cheap. Lots of times i've run up to the decks expecting a meg-bucks tune to be told it's a tenner. Lots of stuff over-looked in the past now being reactivated or given it's day.

Come to Gloucester on Saturday and spend all night in the second room for a real taste of what has changed since Wigan. :thumbsup:

Here's one of my current favourites.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Have a look at Sean hampsey's Top Tips for 2013 thread in Look at your Box. You'll find some new to your ears as well as some you may well remember, some reasobale priced some not. There's been similar threads in previous years to look back at if you find the thread interesting.

Enjoy :) Dean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!