Various Ramblings On Subject Of Elkie Brooks

Jim Ohara

Guest Johnny One Trout

Must admit i did have cause for a double take when three consecutive wants were Elkie Brooks, Gene Pitney and Georgie Fame WTF People!!

Social source share

Jim, I explained this a while back but basically, I love Northern Soul and I love 60's pop music, so I think it's inevitable that I will really like something which is a combination of the two (like this one). That's why I like the Kiki Dee, jenny Wren, Paula Parfitt, Mark Loyd, Chapter Five records...by the same token, there are loads of black artist records that are utter sh*te like george lemons...

Hi Pete

i have no problem with you enjoing a mix of pop and soul or anything else for that matter

i aslo enjoy other types of music and have a great acceptance for history - bowie, johnny cash etc.etc. -

but when it comes to soul, i just prefer it to be soul, thats all mate

my only point was that when there are so many great black soul records, i really just dont see the point

BTW you are right George Lemmons (spelling!!!!) - holy shit that is a dreadful record

best for now

Social source share

Hi Pete

i have no problem with you enjoing a mix of pop and soul or anything else for that matter

i aslo enjoy other types of music and have a great acceptance for history - bowie, johnny cash etc.etc. -

but when it comes to soul, i just prefer it to be soul, thats all mate

my only point was that when there are so many great black soul records, i really just dont see the point

BTW you are right George Lemmons (spelling!!!!) - holy shit that is a dreadful record

best for now

You'd see the point if you collected UK labels only Jim. And lots of people do. Once the USA stuff has run out, you have to look nearer to home.

Social source share

"He's gotta love me" is a great record I have been after one these for years and never been able to find one and rare also. The tune is of Black origin its written by Kenny Lynch and also interestingly co written by Jerry Ragovoy a prolicfic northern soul writer and producer.

It is so easy to dimiss a tune out of hand because the artist is white and has had some comercial success.

Social source share

"He's gotta love me" is a great record I have been after one these for years and never been able to find one and rare also. The tune is of Black origin its written by Kenny Lynch and also interestingly co written by Jerry Ragovoy a prolicfic northern soul writer and producer.

It is so easy to dimiss a tune out of hand because the artist is white and has had some comercial success.

yes defo not an easy one to find, took me 10yrs + from the first time i heard it on one off petes british soul cds to find a copy, finally got a mintish issue

off ebay and paid i think around £80 bargain i thinks.....especaily when i put double that to bag it.....

great record imo

happy hunting

russ

Social source share

I'm amazed that I didn't know she had a career before she became the darling of the 70's Two Ronnie's musical inerlude and the like.

lead singer Vinegar Joe and prior to that, Dada. When fronting Vinegar Joe live , great performer with powerful blues/ rock vocals. Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

yes defo not an easy one to find, took me 10yrs + from the first time i heard it on one off petes british soul cds to find a copy, finally got a mintish issue

off ebay and paid i think around £80 bargain i thinks.....especaily when i put double that to bag it.....

great record imo

happy hunting

russ

I know we all have different tastes but surely this cannot be regarded as anything but a typically mediocre British pop sound of the

period. Elkie sounds like Alma Cogan or Marion Worth, bland dance band stalwarts of the time. I was brought up listening to this rubbish while trying desperately to hear on the radio something at least a bit meatier without knowing I wanted 'Soul'. I didn't like it then and like it less now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have no problem with either of them....2 very good tracks, 2nd one especially. I can imagine the 1st one would have been a smash at Wigan in the later years.

Saw her at Knebworth in 1980.......cant really remember if she was any good live as to the fact that I was stoned at the time of her set. :lol: But Santana were awesome!!!

Social source share

Sorry pete but with so many quality records of black origin I just don't see a place for records like this

Jim

i would go along with what you say.

Social source share

If this is a wants section , surely thats what it should be, theres always some smart arsed twat who wants to critisise someone elses taste.and tell them what they should like or not like, every single one of you who act like that are anal retards

Why not get a life

Social source share

I know we all have different tastes but surely this cannot be regarded as anything but a typically mediocre British pop sound of the

period. Elkie sounds like Alma Cogan or Marion Worth, bland dance band stalwarts of the time. I was brought up listening to this rubbish while trying desperately to hear on the radio something at least a bit meatier without knowing I wanted 'Soul'. I didn't like it then and like it less now.

We get it - you don't like it!

Other people do.

Fantastic 60's pop dancer.

Social source share

Alma Cogan was a brilliant singer. Have you ever heard her answer to "Fortune Teller"?

Tell me that's bland.

Social source share

Alma Cogan was a brilliant singer. Have you ever heard her answer to "Fortune Teller"?

Tell me that's bland.

Well Pete, after reading your invitation to listen to this, I closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind of my long standing prejudices and intolerance of 60s British Pop and then hit the play button. I managed to get nearly half way through before turning it off, which to be fair is further than I got with the Elkie Brooks. My problem obviously, as many others beside yourself love this type of music. I just never did and I still cannot hear any merit in it, especially when it is listed in Soul Source. My apologies if I have wound anyone up, I didn't intend to :g:

Social source share

Well Pete, after reading your invitation to listen to this, I closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind of my long standing prejudices and intolerance of 60s British Pop and then hit the play button. I managed to get nearly half way through before turning it off, which to be fair is further than I got with the Elkie Brooks. My problem obviously, as many others beside yourself love this type of music. I just never did and I still cannot hear any merit in it, especially when it is listed in Soul Source. My apologies if I have wound anyone up, I didn't intend to :g:

No not wound up at all and happy to chew the fat mate, depends if you like 60's pop I suppose, that's all it boils down to. I love Petula Clark's mid 60's singles, stuff like that. I'd never attach them to soul though. It's just part of a wider discussion.

Social source share

Sorry pete but with so many quality records of black origin I just don't see a place for records like this

Although the particular record Pete talks of isn't one of my favs ( entitled, as we are all, to his opinion ), Black Origin ?? Cannot believe that Colour has been brought into this. Yes its predominantly a Soul Site but how many White Origin Soul Records are out there. We have a thread running on here asking for peoples fav 'White' Soul Artists/Records.

Didn't realise Soul was protected by some invisible semi permeable membrane ??

Social source share

Now moved to Look at Your Box.

The other day I split Sandy Golden off from a wants thread.

Can members please bear in mind that individual sales and wants are NOT the place to discuss merits or otherwise of 45s in question.

Open a new topic in LAYB.

ROD [Forum Moderator]

Thanks for moving it Rod, was enjoying the banter but not fair to do it on the guy's wants list as you say

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Elkie Brooks - From Irlam Oth height - Outskirts of Salford. Great singer and soulful.

Can you imagine all the great Northern soul records wiped out by the people who think soul is colour orientated only! What a list you would have! and I could pack a northern soul venue with them.

Talking about Alma Cogan - I remember when I was young (Not sure where) but hearing "Its You" being played out and thinking hey I like that!

To me its either good to your ears & feet or its not! Would anyone ever say that Joannie Sommers - Dont pity me is not soulful!

Good example of colour reverse soul - gene Mcdaniels version of hang on - It doesnt sound very soulful at all. Yet the version by the Soul Machine who happen to be white does sound infinitly more soulful. Well thats my opinion!

Social source share

Alma Cogan.

Little known fact but Saxie Russell sampled the intro to "The railroad runs through the middle of the house".

ROD

That made me sit up and take notice!!

Doesn't sound the same to me but, as Mrs Bod keeps telling me, I am a deaf *$%%!.

Out of interest, when did sampling start? I thought it may have started in the 70's.

Cheers

Kev Bod

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!