Stax Whats Your Favourite Northern Track

Dave West

Guest Polyvelts

Major Lance--That's the Story of my Life

Rance Allen--There's Gonna be a showdown

Johnny Taylor---Friday Night

So many more

Have you been listening to 'stax northern disco sounds' lp by any chance ! :)

Social source share

Whilst stating the obvious, what an awesome portfolio the Stax/Volt "empire" contains! I love so much of their output, but since personally taking on a Detroit collecting perspective, am "pleasantly" mystified as to the Groovesville connection, and its actual production links between Memphis and the Motor City?? Alas there have been numerous class tracks mentioned,and I struggle to add to a much revered list, but the Dramatics-Your love was strange, United Image-Love's creeping up on me, and Roz Ryan-You're my only temptation, are my input for now :g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

William Bell album track"its happening all over"from"the soul of a bell"is an out and out northern killer track,very underplayed,check it on you tube.

Hey Chas, you read my mind. Stunning track. Has everything. Used to be one of my power plays back in the day LOL. Never understood why no-one has picked up on this before.

Here's a few more.

Astors- I found out

Issac Hayes- rolling down a mountainside

Mad Lads What will love tend to make you do, bit of a mouth full but mid-tempo magic.

Regards

Alan

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Whats that record by a solo female singer on Volt (red and black label), got the same title as a really well known track, it's brilliant - can't remember what it is though! :huh:

yeah it was this one, Ruby Johnson - Weak Spot, oh my goodness when it hits the chorus...BLAM!

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Jones & Blumenberg - The Right Track

The Astors - In The Twilight Zone

The Stingers - I refuse To Be Lonely

Major Lance - That's The Story Of My Life

Twilight Zone is a fine track, one I first heard at Stafford. Great suggestions across all of the replies though. The only track I can think to add (and you'd have to be thinking Ray Pollard 'Drifter' or the like) would be The Emotions 'So I can love you'.

I've only got it on the excellent 2007 2 CD and DVD Stax 50th Anniversary Celebration combo. The DVD is well worth watching and the two CDs are a good listen.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!