Stax Whats Your Favourite Northern Track

Dave West

Eddie Floyd - Holding On With Both Hands

Astors - In the Twilight Zone

Ruby Johnson - Weak Spot

Ruth Brown - Yes Sir, Brother

Ilana - Where Would You Be Today

bought this for the other side ("big bird" - which i only knew cuz of the Jam cover version on "dig the new breed") - - - - and when i got it in the mail and flipped it to find this understated monster - oh wow!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My favourite is The Astors - Candy. Could listen to it every day and never get tired of it.

I'm surprised more people haven't named Darrell Banks - I'm the One Who loves You. I would have guessed that that is the most popular Northern track on Stax.

Social source share

Sam & Dave - I Thank You :)

& Margie Joseph - Medicine Head

Hey Grant-I absolutely love Sam & Daves stuff and I Thank You is probably me favourite, but I don't associate it with Northern as such, more of a Club Soul sound to me.

Probably an age thing..... (where's me smilas gone?)

Edited by Citizen P
Social source share

Hey Grant-I absolutely love Sam & Daves stuff and I Thank You is probably me favourite, but I don't associate it with Northern as such, more of a Club Soul sound to me.

Probably an age thing..... (where's me smilas gone?)

well its getting spins around these 'Club Soul' nites - Kestrel Suite for one :wink: it sounded great the other month T :yes:

Social source share

I thank you is one if the best quality tracks on the label and a sound that transitioned me from Motown/Stax/Atlantic to proper Northern. Asked for it to be played in a 'mod' club near Melton Mowbray as a teenager and remember how it cleared the floor - just me dancing - but what a fabulous sound - and a p*ss poor response from the mods.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!