70's Record Bar Image / Info

Corbett80

I was going to say that - definitely 80's onwards - tell by the straight leg trousers

Agree Pete, and the M1 flying jacket that lad has on (you know, green with orange lining). deffo post 80 those.

Love the empty coke bottle, sometimes forget there was no alcohol, never batted an eyelid about that in those days, don't think I could go two hours without a grog at a soul night these days.

Aid.

Social source share

i believe it was took as part of an NME/Melody Maker article as the same photographer took a picture of me and my girlfriend at the time...she was black i was white..I never got to see the article or picture ? I used to wear white t shirts...Bywell used to wear shorts in the middle of the dancefloor...remember that Dave !!!

Time period would be 1980-81..

Edited by souljazera
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Looks busy ! Only went to friday oldies in 81, would it have been as full as this on a saturday in this period ? Went to the much publicised 500th niter and was shocked at how empty it was compared to monthly oldies !

Great Picture tho !!!!

Social source share

Looks busy ! Only went to friday oldies in 81, would it have been as full as this on a saturday in this period ? Went to the much publicised 500th niter and was shocked at how empty it was compared to monthly oldies !

Great Picture tho !!!!

Funny that was exactly what I was thinking, it must have been an oldies night, I went pretty much every Saturday in 81 and other than end of era type nighters the record bar was never this full, in fact on some Saturday's the main room wasn't this full! Although some Saturdays there were almost equal amounts in both!

The 500th wasn't empty by any means but yes not an Oldies type crowd, mind I didn't go to my first Oldies till early 80 so not sure if they even were as busy as they had been.

Definitely 80/81 picture as recognise a few of the faces as being regulars on Saturday too. They did have a Saturday Oldies mid month early 81 as well did they not, but fairly sure that was very empty. On reflection I do wonder if this was the 7th Anniversary (Sept 80) because that was rammed was it not, and was my only anniversary, even more than the Oldies I went to and remember not being able to move in record bar. The night I met Pete Lawson I am fairly sure.

Absolutely magic picture, and in all honesty even then only reason I went to Oldies was for record bar as I had never seen anything like it and probably never since for records.

Social source share

Photo is taken from the right hand arch which led into the bar area from the dance floor, (Coke/brew) bar at the back.

Barrold for someone who is always seen enjoying the moment to the full your memory is always brilliant, that just brought the whole thing flooding back in my head, I can even feel the sweat on the arch as you brushed past it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Barrold for someone who is always seen enjoying the moment to the full your memory is always brilliant, that just brought the whole thing flooding back in my head, I can even feel the sweat on the arch as you brushed past it.

...and trying to get the nicotine stains out of your arm when the sweat dripped off the ceiling onto you :lol:

Social source share

...and I'm sure the box with the lid is Minshull's - that was his spec there.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I've been looking at the photo the lad lookin in the box with the lid maybe a mate of mine

The blonde haired one looks like BIPPO aka Steve Shipley who sadly died in 2011 he came from Stoke

Sad to hear about Bippo, hadn't heard that he had passed away. Spent many a beffuddled hour with him and the rest of the Stoke crew back in them days, not so sure that, that is him in the picture though.

John

Social source share

Sad to hear about Bippo, hadn't heard that he had passed away. Spent many a beffuddled hour with him and the rest of the Stoke crew back in them days, not so sure that, that is him in the picture though.

John

Hi John

not sure of pic myself but it's close call

The stuff Bippo was into caught up with him in the end very sad indeed & a sad lose

atb kev :hatsoff2:

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

What a superb thread/post, So interesting, I reckon Barry kept a diary of every thing he's ever done, No one can have memory like that at our age ???.

Garry

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

What a superb thread/post, So interesting, I reckon Barry kept a diary of every thing he's ever done, No one can have memory like that at our age ???.

Garry

Really !

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

That's Rod Shard and Dave Withers Table, probably Rod`s hand with the cigarette. First box I looked through every week, got some great stuff off them lads

Every time I look at this photo I can hear myself going "got got got - not got - got got got".

And sorry Harry I beg to differ re 'Rod's hand with cigarette'.....a closer inspection of the cigarette revealed the name of Lambert & Butler and I know for a fact he never smokes them.......

Was there the night a friend of mine bought a Cecil Washington off them for £100 (gasp & gulp) . A photograph was taken to record the event.

derek

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Every time I look at this photo I can hear myself going "got got got - not got - got got got".

And sorry Harry I beg to differ re 'Rod's hand with cigarette'.....a closer inspection of the cigarette revealed the name of Lambert & Butler and I know for a fact he never smokes them.......

Was there the night a friend of mine bought a Cecil Washington off them for £100 (gasp & gulp) . A photograph was taken to record the event.

derek

Looks like Embassy No 1 or Regal King Size to me.

Didn't 'R' pay £120? The most depressing morning travelling back in the 'Wakefield Tree Surgeons' van the next day? Didn't know there was a photo!

Linky

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest captain black

It must be 80/81, that's me, Tich Seath, staring into space, fifth along from the right, I think the guy next to me looking in the box with the lid, is James Paton from Kilmarnock.

Ahhh, memories, memories. The amount of money spent in there by me probably funded Pete Widdisons retirement! Where is he now?

Social source share

Guest captain black

That's nice to hear, Russ, cheers! He supplied me with a lot of very nice vinyl......great guy!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!