Articles: Don Juan Mancha - The Story by Rob Moss

Rob Moss

• Replies 23
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Fabulous article Rob,some of those photos are amazing.ps just been listening on a cassette tape an interview you arranged several years ago between Jack Ashford and Richard Searling,Top drawer.Keep up the good work, Chris Walker.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Excellent read, thanks. Great photos and pleased to see a piccy of Jack Montgomery. Interesting that Don Mancha states he died from Diabetes complications. However in another article below by Robb, which has been clipped and doesn't now include the relevant part, Jay Davis (Montgomery's brother-in-law) intimated that he took his own life (shotgun or a shooter involved I think).

https://www.soul-sour...-rob-moss-r2058

Social source share

Excellent read, thanks. Great photos and pleased to see a piccy of Jack Montgomery. Interesting that Don Mancha states he died from Diabetes complications. However in another article below by Robb, which has been clipped and doesn't now include the relevant part, Jay Davis (Montgomery's brother-in-law) intimated that he took his own life (shotgun or a shooter involved I think).

https://www.soul-sour...-rob-moss-r2058

It was the diabetes that caused the depression that resulted in his death. No one is sure about the actual circumstances. Jay recounted a conversation he'd had with him when he discussed how he would want to die. Very sad.

Social source share

Great article, Rob. Nice, thorough job. Unusual that I didn't learn anything I hadn't known before from other sources, other than the fact that Mancha was his real family name, and that his family had Spanish roots. Nice to know, however, that what I did think was true is confirmed. Normally, I find that some of the long-time rumours going round were only conjecture.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Really interesting.

The Jack Montgomery story is slightly at odds with the interview Don gave to Soulful Kinda music some years ago. So piecing the two together, i think what happened was:

"Dearly Beloved" + "Do you believe it" + "Never leave me"  all cut at United Studios

Then 3 further sides cut in New York at scepter - "Dearly beloved" vocal retake + "Baby baby take a chance on me" + "Don't turn your back on me" .

Scepter issue "Dearly beloved" + "Do you believe it" in June 66

Baraccuda put out "Don't turn your back on me" early 67 with the instrumental of the Honeybees on the B side.

Johnny hawks "Baby baby Take a chance on me" to Revue who put it out early 68.

Make sense?

Social source share

Guest drewid

Top notch work , surprised to learn j m was only 19 tr old !!! When he recorded ,wow unbelievable , I'd have guessed late 20s even 30s he just sounds so mature . I've two lads 21 and 23 well into their music( all sorts) they both play in a band . I will play them j m records and watch their faces when I tell them he was 19 !! What a sad end for him however he died , so young . Just think what he'd have been like if they'd got him over here for some live performances !

Social source share

Really interesting.

The Jack Montgomery story is slightly at odds with the interview Don gave to Soulful Kinda music some years ago. So piecing the two together, i think what happened was:

"Dearly Beloved" + "Do you believe it" + "Never leave me"  all cut at United Studios

Then 3 further sides cut in New York at scepter - "Dearly beloved" vocal retake + "Baby baby take a chance on me" + "Don't turn your back on me" .

Scepter issue "Dearly beloved" + "Do you believe it" in June 66

Baraccuda put out "Don't turn your back on me" early 67 with the instrumental of the Honeybees on the B side.

Johnny hawks "Baby baby Take a chance on me" to Revue who put it out early 68.

Make sense?

None of Jack's records cut in New York - all recorded in Detroit with the Funks.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

None of Jack's records cut in New York - all recorded in Detroit with the Funks.

OK thanks for clarifying. I think I got the impression from the soulfulkinda music interview with Don which said "Don had recorded three tracks at Scepter and returned to Detroit to carry on with other projects, leaving Johnny Terry to deal with the finances from the New York end".

So I wonder what the sixth song he recorded was then?

Session 1: "Dearly Beloved" + "Do you believe it" + "Never leave me" 

Session 2: ??? + Baby baby take a chance + Don't turn your back on me

I want to get it right in the book.....Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

great detective work again rob, you & rixy are like holmes & watson!. ive always had it drummed into me about great voices and jack montgomery sits alongside roy hamilton, ironic that they both had tragically short lives, the former moreso...should have been big stars...but to the northern scene they are and always will be.

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!