Do You Think Northern Soul Has A Legacy?

Garethx

Guest gordon russell

probably nothing.......it,s now all been done before as far as youth cults of which the soul scene is/was one.....why should there be a legacy anyway....this music /scene belongs to a certain generation as rock and roll did before it and punk after.Yes the music will remain and records will always be collected especially as they're so easy to store.This music can never mean the same to others because it is/was connected to a era and to certain clubs which can,t be replicated.....it,s in the memories of a small group (in the scheme of things) people that can,t be passed on....When it,s gone it,s GONE!! time for a cuppa

Social source share

Met a younger couple who were were into the "rave scene" in a big way and who still regularly go to revival type niters, they told me that they felt that NS was the blue print for the dance music scene that followed........high tempo dance music played at all night events.....full of pill heads!

The fact that the music and fashions have been adopted for commercial use means that NS has influenced popular culture in the broader sense.

The music itself has influenced various later musicians so there has already been a kind of legacy passed down the way I see it.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

probably nothing.......it,s now all been done before as far as youth cults of which the soul scene is/was one.....why should there be a legacy anyway....this music /scene belongs to a certain generation as rock and roll did before it and punk after.Yes the music will remain and records will always be collected especially as they're so easy to store.This music can never mean the same to others because it is/was connected to a era and to certain clubs which can,t be replicated.....it,s in the memories of a small group (in the scheme of things) people that can,t be passed on....When it,s gone it,s GONE!! time for a cuppa

Ran out of likes
Social source share

f**kin hell gord,.....as donald sutherland ( oddball ) would say..."whats with the negative waves?"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

right then...im bloody well going on the offensive here....A certain generation......oh, so no salvation has superceded what we started?, how is it that so many, and i mean MANY youngsters are getting into this music because theyve caught on much quicker than some of us even did, to how good and meaningful the music and lyrics are?. infact...the 30 & 40 somethings behind us have been championing it themselves for two decades or more. THIS music culture/cult is without doubt the BIGGEST format to liberate millions of people from dull, boring, mundane life AND STILL DOES...its permeated all forms of media and is as relevant today as it was when it was fresh and new in the 60's...the ONLY thing it didnt have back then, was an identity...THAT came along when the inquisitive, pioneering lovers of soul music wanted to see what lurked beneath the luster that motown and its ilk had given the music. well, we might live a span & die BUT what we discovered and subsequently elevated to a level, no other musical phenomenon has maintained. we may have struggled to win over our own flesh and blood, but todays young soulchildren get it, get the message, believe its a better way and a sensible format to follow and the clincher that wins them over is the dancing...and they adapt to that like a fish to water....WEVE GOT PLENTY TO BE PROUD OF AND PLENTY TO PASS ON.....AND THE SCENE WILL ENDURE AND THE RECORDS WILL STILL BE BOUGHT AND PLAYED, be they ever more rarer and expensive. this is one horizon that will never be lost...think what you like, sneer if you want and be as pessimistic and begrudging in your old age as sees fit but accept the fact...we started something that has the dogged ability to keep people interested....its not cloud cuckooland,...its reality so drop the doom & gloom scenario.....oh, and f**k the cuppa....its only half time.

[

:) out of likes

Edited by back street blue
Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Define influence please... Other youth cults? The Rave/Dance scene (As above) owes a lot to the NS one, but then that in turn owes a lot to the mod scene from which it sprung.

Musically? I can think of plenty of songs by artists that you'd never consider a soul artist which have taken the stereotyped 'four on the floor' beat and made it into a pop record.

Fashion? OK, I think you've got me on that one.....

Social source share

I would love to think that Northern (in all it's many forms) will live on after us "oldies" have passed on to the all-niter in the sky But i don't see it that way, although i don't go to as many nites as i used to i don't see many youngsters coming through. I have 2 sons 1 that doesn't like the music and the other who although he does like a few tracks shows no interest in the scene at all (even though i have asked him to come along with me and offered to pay him in and ply him with drink all night). I think that at best the scene will go back underground with a few followers for a little while but as these followers (like many of us) get married, have kids and have less disposable income that the scene will die.

I hope that i'm wrong.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

f**kin hell gord,.....as donald sutherland ( oddball ) would say..."whats with the negative waves?"

pragmatism..........thats what that is :D .........we surely are not advocating that when we are all in our comfey old arm chairs or old folks home with someone shouting at us from about a foot away "DO YOU WANT ANOTHER CUP OF TEA Mr dobson?" because we,re hard of hearing....that we,ve arrived at this point happy in the knowledge that thousands of youngsters are out their every weekend dancing away to the snake....having a warm contented glow because somehow we,ve done our duty and can now meet our maker or maybe edwin starr having passed on the musical torch.........pragmatism ...thats what that is :thumbsup::D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Its obvious the music will still be there in one form or another but as for the rich tapestry and history of the scene ,well theres many an attempt to deny history is there not.The gear takers were in the minority,everyone else abstained and danced all night on luca zade,it was never a scene with an edgy atmosphere,never any trouble every one whon went went for the music onlyPeople went for many different reasons and the music was something all or the great majority shared love off but for most I would bamk on it being the overall unique at the time experience of the scene itself which was then mostly an all nighter scene.So if so many aspects of that history are today denied by so many what is it that will be passed on!I have even read a response on another thread to one of terrys comments were the responder is rather irate that Terry uses the word the "Scene",to describe to me and countless others what we always knew of and called the scene.Orwells minstry of truth at work,you may no longer use that word,that word does not exist ,that word never existed ,you will be punished for saying a word that doesnt exist.Those who deny history and all that comes to mind.I guess in this instance concering legacy I am a selfish barsteward for as long as I can enjoy the "scene"with ,the music being available to me till I draw my last breath ,well I dont care what comes after because I have a head full of memories that I am very happy with thank you and hope to add a few more to that section before i go to the great Go Go in the sky or to maybe the room down below to hopefully see again those who went before out there tearing up the floor,(either room).

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The scene and music are not ours to pass on.........youngsters will either go to soul venues or they won,t ,but it won,t be because of something WE (40 to 65 age group) have left for them (legacy and all that bo**cks).........the records will go on to be highly prized and collected (probably all over the world)......but, when the above age group have gone so has the scene because it,s our age group that lived it,it wasn,t just about the music it was the way it carried on that was ours...yes the music but, the characters,the shennangans even thumbing to a nighter,coaches,nicking cars to get there,syphoning petrol,screwing chemists,fights yes fights and even seeing these artists (in their prime)..........Everyone piling down to torquay in the summer 74 ,75, 76........and however sad,but, ultimately true all the characters that died on their way to nighters (lots of reasons)..........Even the gear was different (better) these are all factors that can,t be replicated that make the scene OURS even to this day for us older scenesters.....and when we,re gone it,s GONE..........all who follow will have their own scene ...same music maybe,but their scene because it,s them, not us.....our scene WAS OURS and it,s gonna be gone with us.

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

The scene and music are not ours to pass on.........youngsters will either go to soul venues or they won,t ,but it won,t be because of something WE (40 to 65 age group) have left for them (legacy and all that bo**cks).........the records will go on to be highly prized and collected (probably all over the world)......but, when the above age group have gone so has the scene because it,s our age group that lived it,it wasn,t just about the music it was the way it carried on that was ours...yes the music but, the characters,the shennangans even thumbing to a nighter,coaches,nicking cars to get there,syphoning petrol,screwing chemists,fights yes fights and even seeing these artists (in their prime)..........Everyone piling down to torquay in the summer 74 ,75, 76........and however sad,but, ultimately true all the characters that died on their way to nighters (lots of reasons)..........Even the gear was different (better) these are all factors that can,t be replicated that make the scene OURS even to this day for us older scenesters.....and when we,re gone it,s GONE..........all who follow will have their own scene ...same music maybe,but their scene because it,s them, not us.....our scene WAS OURS and it,s gonna be gone with us.

Hear ,hear,words well spoken.
Social source share

Gordy,you forgot going to niter's on Choppers, and coming home from Wigan on a moped. :lol:

Social source share

I would love to think that Northern (in all it's many forms) will live on after us "oldies" have passed on to the all-niter in the sky But i don't see it that way, although i don't go to as many nites as i used to i don't see many youngsters coming through. I have 2 sons 1 that doesn't like the music and the other who although he does like a few tracks shows no interest in the scene at all (even though i have asked him to come along with me and offered to pay him in and ply him with drink all night). I think that at best the scene will go back underground with a few followers for a little while but as these followers (like many of us) get married, have kids and have less disposable income that the scene will die.

I hope that i'm wrong.

do you want to adopt me?

p.s want a bag of crisps or no deal

Social source share

this scene is a fascinating today as it was for me when i entered my first all niter at wigan in september in 1981..the people ,,the history,,the djs the dancers the friendships,,,

i loved it then and even more today,,,it has its faults but it always there for us and i believe always will

keep the faith

mark f (wiganer1)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I won't bite :)

i'll do it for you then bro......to quote X-MEN....."DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO A TOAD WHEN ITS HIT BY LIGHTNING?"

ever reliable for totally abject negativity in abundance. europe is the biggest playground in the world for plying the northern soul ethic and from what ive witnessed they dig it in spades, if they had an undying wish, im sure it would be that they were born here and experienced it from day one, but to them, the catch-up game is the most exciting challenge. they also understand that it isnt and wasnt ever their scene to create,....OF COURSE IT WILL ALWAYS BE OURS,...(even the yanks wouldnt deny that, though its the very music they created ) BUT ITS NOT SOMETHING WE CAN DENY OTHERS.....LIKE A JEALOUSLY GUARDED SECRET??......THAT IS THE REASON WHY IT WILL SURVIVE, LIVE LONG & PROSPER. there are generations of people to come who will cherish this music and this ideal because its a straight, simple but smart way of finding an identity that cant be sn*****ed at because its so cool, and the tool of expression, the dancing, is sublime even unto old age.....if you can still shake a leg, youve still got it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

NOT OURS TO PASS ON?........DO YOU THINK THE REST OF THE WORLD'S BEEN SITTING ON ITS HANDS THEN?......YOU REALLY HAVE GOT IT WRONG, AND ALL YOUR POSSE! :facepalm:

Social source share

this scene is a fascinating today as it was for me when i entered my first all niter at wigan in september in 1981..the people ,,the history,,the djs the dancers the friendships,,,

i loved it then and even more today,,,it has its faults but it always there for us and i believe always will

keep the faith

mark f (wiganer1)

Yeah, but you're probably the No.1 believer in the world Mark. :thumbup:

I love your enthusiam and thirst for accuracy in history. If we could clone you and multiply x 1000 then there's nothing to worry about mate. :lol:

In answer to the question that's propelled the thread, yes, of course there is an incredible legacy. Whenever I've been asked to describe it over the years, I've described it as the '8th Wonder Of The World', which, as a 15 year old kid in Mirfield, Yorkshire in 1970, it absolutely was, no question. The greatest scene in the world at the time without a shadow of a doubt. And I totally know what I'm talking about.

I'm very big on documenting culture properly so it's important to me that this scene gets preserved properly in order that people understand the significance and impact that this scene is responsible for.

I totally concurr with Ady's response earlier in the thread. 100% right. It's heartening to know that the same people who were meeting each other for the first time @ Cheapo Cheapo in Berwick St in the early 70's are still passionate about the scene some 40+ years later in 2013.

F*ckin' KILLER scene! Best ever and still is. Of course it needs preserving properly.

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i'll give it to you eternal pessimists....you certainly wear your hearts on your sleeves, condemnation is your watchword...well, i wear mine like a shining beacon of hope, regardless of my age and my enthusiasm is unquenched and undiminished. NORTHERN SOUL ISNT ABOUT LIFE OR DEATH....ITS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Musically, which I think most of us got into it for, it must be the preservation and documentation of a lot of black US 60s and 70s music.

Without the dedication and methodology of the Northern collectors who firstly scoured the US through buying trips and then through Internet contact, a sizeable chunk of wonderful music would have been lost to the world. Some would have come out or been appreciated in other ways but the fanaticism and motivation of Northern collectors, be it for money, glory or enjoyment, meant that many sides were discovered and preserved which would have been trashed without this appreciation. No doubt the B sides have also been saved for deep or southern soul appreciation too.

Though it seems crass to admit it, the crazy prices Northern collectors are prepared to pay for their treasures or trophies eventually awoke most US record dealers to the fact that these odd discs were worth seeking out and saving and many a gem got onto the rare soul world in this manner too.

To me, equally important is the fact that many artists now know the work they did was of musical value to a hidden transatlantic bunch of fans who were still dancing and loving their work several decades after it was deemed to be a flop in its home country. I know singers like Lorraine Chandler, Dean Parrish, Maxine Brown, Mary Love, Gigi and the Charmaines, The Velvelettes, Spencer Wiggins and Bettye Lavette are very appreciative of this.

I'll only touch on the social side of it but to have a dance floor full of originally mainly working class kids and young adults dancing on their own to emotionally charged soul music was quite a phenomenon that we can all feel proud of. It was liberating for men in particular many years before it became commonplace in British life.

And don't even get me started on master tapes and acetates.

Bang on Ady. Nothing to add. Great post!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Gordy,you forgot going to niter's on Choppers, and coming home from Wigan on a moped. :lol:

took me 8 hours down the M.6.......HONDA 90 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

i'll give it to you eternal pessimists....you certainly wear your hearts on your sleeves, condemnation is your watchword...well, i wear mine like a shining beacon of hope, regardless of my age and my enthusiasm is unquenched and undiminished. NORTHERN SOUL ISNT ABOUT LIFE OR DEATH....ITS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT.

You think many with my honest appraisal have no enthusiasm...........said this many a time theres nothing in this world better than 4 O,clock in the morning the place is buzzing.....and someone drops the neddle on Wilson pickett you're looking good and the place is rocking...........don,t mean l can,t see it how it is........it,s nowt to do with pessimism or condeming folk......just honest appraisal of the final outcome.............ooh l wanna cry now

Social source share

I actually think the Europeans have broadly got it right. So much of the "UK scene" these days is a feckin embarrasment for many of us.

Me too. They're really receptive to new tunes without carrying any historical or political baggage. I love playing in Europe 'cos you get the chance to play those tunes which you simply couldn't risk in the UK. It's a bit like working with a completely fresh palette.

If I had a collection like yours I'd be playing Europe every month! Can you imagine how many new tracks you could break? :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I actually think the Europeans have broadly got it right. So much of the "UK scene" these days is a feckin embarrasment for many of us.

will that be the legacy to the youngsters............."wern,t those old fuckers an embarrasment"

Social source share

will that be the legacy to the youngsters............."wern,t those old fuckers an embarrasment"

Nah Gordon. They'll just realise that old people have their ways. They'll forgive us 'cos of all the incredible music we dug up. If they don't like it, then good luck to 'em. You have to initially take a lot of shit on this scene, so no one, even in 2013, gets the velvet carpet treatment. If they can't absorb that, then they're not robust enough. :lol:

Social source share

You think many with my honest appraisal have no enthusiasm...........said this many a time theres nothing in this world better than 4 O,clock in the morning the place is buzzing.....and someone drops the neddle on Wilson pickett you're looking good and the place is rocking...........don,t mean l can,t see it how it is........it,s nowt to do with pessimism or condeming folk......just honest appraisal of the final outcome.............ooh l wanna cry now

gord, you may not be surprised, but i have it on good authority from "the oracle", uncle ted that you're actually a top bloke...ive learned not to be easily wound up and i have had my fair share of dibilitating stress over the years, but rocking the boat about something we universally love, gets beyond the pale. constructive critisism is another thing and has its place....the northern soul scene isnt without its fair share, but its a much better realistic world that we abide in,...i cant condone a deathwish for this scene just because in a few short years most of us originals will be no more. we have a duty never to forget the first world war and subsequent wars because of the sacrifice and in a not too dissimilar way, what we started must never be forgot...because its all good and the eyes of many who are learning the ropes now its a refreshing and exciting phenomenon to explore and its so much easier to become initiated into the scene because its evermore in the public eye,thanks to smart, intellectual folk of our ilk, infiltrating media positions.

Social source share

more shite of agent smith ! Why have a dig at me ? Its my opnion. Give me a venue list for euro events this weekend oh and a german one hardly a buzzin every week affair i bet.

you've obviously not forgiven them for bombing coventry ( no offence to coventry, you understand? )...guess shite is your standard vocabulary. apologies mike if this is getting out of hand its like fighting a guerilla war...you have to watch out for the booby traps.

Social source share

I think most of us mainland "european youngsters" carry an utmost respect to the british scene where all the digging deep in the vaults started.

Big oldies also fill the floors over here, quality remains quality, and also due to rarity or the different and younger scene the "played dead in the UK"- 45 might not be overplayed over here.

But usually it's also about finding your own 45s here, sources nowadays are easier than when we started, with soundfiles and info readily available via the net and not having to trawl through 100s of dusty 45s armed with a soundburger on record fairs trying to find the right beat, like those of us who didn't have any good connection to the british scene/dealers did.

It's great travelling foreign countries and experiencing the different local soul-scenes.

Imo this is defo a legacy worth mentioning so the answer to the topic- starter's question is a simple

YES

• Helpful 2
Social source share

do you want to adopt me?

p.s want a bag of crisps or no deal

As long as your under 25 and don't want salt & vinegar flavour i might consider it.

My son Just said to me that there is a reason that youngsters won't come into the scene (to many old folk), But he thinks that northern will continue as we all die off and leave room for the youngster to come through. Fashion comes around (not that northern was ever fashionable (or was it, but that's a different thread).

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

What has Northern Soul handed down to the youth cults or music scenes which followed it? Either in terms of specifics or general cultural influences?

I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks.

There are no wrong answers.

for me & countless other soulheads

A huge body of artistic musical output what otherwise would have been lost !!!

Great music !!!

A fantastic & unique style of dancing !!

A place where everyone is welcome as long as they respect certain aspects of the scene !!!

Total happyness and bliss while dancing to your favourite tune and forgetting all the problems around you !!

Total happyness and bliss while dancing and thinking about happy times !!!!

Friends for life !!

Having an instand bond with total strangers you never met before !!!

An empty wallet but a treasure drove full of fantastic records which give you pleasure on a daily basis !!!

Peace of mind after spending the previous years constantly fighting almost every weekend !!!

Funny fashion items !!!

A more open society in Britain !!!

A world wide music scene !!!

The excitment of record hunting !!!

Increase of sale of..... talcum and a few other things ;)

as for other youthcults......a musical backbone for scooterists, revival mods & skinheads !!! ... and all other aspects mentioned above...!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!