Is It Me Or Is It A Load Of Cr*p Up For Sale On Ebay Just Lately

Ebay (in the US, dunno about elsewhere) started a free or cheap listing sale this past Sunday - they do so every couple months or so. Usually that means people list crap that would be a hard sell at $1.00. The number of auction 45s on US ebay has increased by 15,000 since Sunday. I notice one day listings that keep getting rolled over onto the next day. I don't know if that's what you're talking about but it sure is nauseating for me to browse through.

On the good side, there is a nice copy of the Professionals on Groove City listed this week, someone will be a very happy winner I'm sure.

Social source share

Ebay (in the US, dunno about elsewhere) started a free or cheap listing sale this past Sunday - they do so every couple months or so. Usually that means people list crap that would be a hard sell at $1.00. The number of auction 45s on US ebay has increased by 15,000 since Sunday. I notice one day listings that keep getting rolled over onto the next day. I don't know if that's what you're talking about but it sure is nauseating for me to browse through.

On the good side, there is a nice copy of the Professionals on Groove City listed this week, someone will be a very happy winner I'm sure.

UK ebay does the free listing weekend every 2 or 3 weeks now and yes its a signal for every tom dick & harry to try and offload all the rubbish they have although I have to hold my hand up to that as well :huh::ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

a lot of stuff gets no bids so sellers (dealers ) are not advertising stuff. a pal o mine is a large dealer and has given up trying to see NS on ebay ,he just sells early jazz and 60s beat, all his major business is now on the continent when he does the big fairs in Holland and germany .they mostly want heavy metal stuff and 60s pop and beat.

he just loads up his van and keeps going back and forth to the euro fairs ...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

a lot of stuff gets no bids so sellers (dealers ) are not advertising stuff. a pal o mine is a large dealer and has given up trying to see NS on ebay ,he just sells early jazz and 60s beat, all his major business is now on the continent when he does the big fairs in Holland and germany .they mostly want heavy metal stuff and 60s pop and beat.

he just loads up his van and keeps going back and forth to the euro fairs ...

Why does NS not sell great on E-bay?

Social source share

IMO not even Soul Source is a very good place to sell Northern 45s anymore. Unless they fit in the categories stated in my previous post. I don't know what professional dealers may say, but I think it's getting harder and harder to shift stuff.

Maybe it's better to sell on Facebook? I don't know, I'm not on FB.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I love, or should that be Hate, the fact that a load of stuff is labelled Northern Soul or under that umbrella but are obviously not. Maybe the seller has sold one NS Record and left the group when listing other things cause they can't be arsed or forgot to change it.

A lot of boots for sale but perhaps that is because they want OV and need to raise the funds. Becoming a rich man's market. I know there is plenty of OV available for under a Tenner but for the big things like 'Big Thing' !!

Social source share

My eBay account tells me that I've bought seven items in the last month; 70 in the last six months, and 125 in the last 12 months.

Not a lot, I know, but 95% will have been 'Northern Soul' records. Add to that all the ones I didn't win and for certain there's stuff out there all right.

I think most of my purchases wouldn't fall into the "top 500 oldie, classic rarity or current in demander" category. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Social source share

It will sell on Ebay, if you put it up with a low start bid ie $1.00 and then it will reach what people think it's worth. But this may not be what you think it's worth, but that's the whole point of an auction, market forces. If you really want to sell stuff, you just have to take personnel attachment or like out of it, but this is hard for all of us.

Set sale your pricing, then on here or Facebook in selling groups, again if you price it right it will sell.

Yeah I am selling a few records on E-bay at the minute and I have to put my prices really low to get any bids and even then I do not get many, but then I see a lot of re-issues etc gets bids :g:

Edited by thfcliam
Social source share

Maybe not at the prices asked for.

Dave Thorley`s post sums it up,perfectly.

I'm not trying to get into a fight, but pricing's has to be about what the market is willing to pay or as we used to get hammered into us when I worked in sales 'A price that both the seller and buyer are happy with'.

The number of times I have posted things and someone puts a comment, 'Half the price of the price guides' or 'Well below market prices'. Really, most printed price guides are compiled at least 6 months before they are on sale, in this current market, that can mean they are as much as 50% out by the time they hit the market.

I price all records by comparing other peoples prices and auction closing prices, time consuming yes, but I do sell a lot of records, so it must work to a greater extent. Do I get it wrong, yes sometimes, both to high or to cheap, but you have to take a big picture view

John Anderson gave me some great advice some years ago. "Price your records at a profitable level that you are happy with and that is attractive to buyers. It's not about trying to look clever with lots of high ticket records on your site or list, it's about having empty shelves.If you see a record you sold last week, sell the next for more money, think nothing of it, just do what you do well and go and buy some more records and do it all over again."

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yeah I am selling a few records on E-bay at the minute and I have to put my prices really low to get any bids and even then I do not get many, but then I see a lot of re-issues etc gets bids :g:

I'm sure you think your prices are low, but the buyers still might not, $1.00 starting price and see what happens. You will be dis-appointed with some sales, but you will also be surprised by others. If your not comfortable doing this, then sell fixed price on here or on Facebook.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Im not so sure about the top 500 comment-for myself as aa lowly NHS worker I try and buy obscurities-I came in late and I like collecting but am realisitic to know what is out of my reach

S..o.u.L The Joneses

North by North West City Living

Gino Washington You got me in a whirlpool

And a lovely copy of Wait a Minute Kenny Ray

to name but a few..

for a few bob there is usually some nice stuff there when time allows to look for it but not so much recently 10 from 12 of my sellers haven't listed at all this year, so hopefully they'll return:)

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Garry Huxley

If it's not a Top 500 oldie, a classic rarity or current in demander, nobody's interested in it.

Totally disagree as if it was a top 500 overplayed ear bleedin poo poo i wouldent be interested unless i could make a proffit.

Mr DJ please play me summit i dont know.

Also Benji you should try my local soul in the bowl rushden big room for the classics, Lens den for everything else, Both rooms packed and talk of the east midlands.

loads of other venues for underplayed rarer stuff a few to mention ==

Raven Whitchurch

Archibald WMC Whitchurch

Pure soul at the crown Nunneaton

Grumpy soul Runcorn

These are just a few i have been to recently and top notch, 

And another good one for me is my living room where i play all my new discoveries.

But at the end of the day it's whatever float's yer boat

Garry

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I'm sure you think your prices are low, but the buyers still might not, $1.00 starting price and see what happens. You will be dis-appointed with some sales, but you will also be surprised by others. If your not comfortable doing this, then sell fixed price on here or on Facebook.

Top man as usual Dave, Bring back Stafford, Morecambe, Allbrighton.

Where do people think all those discoveries were made, Maybe sleepin on the doormat Waiting for the new delivery of Goldmine & Discgoverys mags, Trawling through millions of records at venues pleading with the dealer on next table, "(Mind if i play this on yer player mate)".

I think ebay is a goldmine but can sometimes be loads of disco dross listed as northern, I think there should be suitably qualified moderaters on there.

I have had loads of high priced records for less than a $  And sold stuff for more than what i thought it was worth.

If you dont know it look it up on youtube, Look at the credits and take a chance if price is low.

We had it lucky in early 70's soul pacs (25 copies of jimmy robins in one box, Think i was sent wrong box for a £5)

On a final note guys, Dont stop lookin.

Garry

Social source share

My eyes are beginning to cloud over-is it because people arent buying or what? I find myself buying more now off friends or maybe Im being a bit picky.

People are buying but like you not on eBay. Too many fees with eBay and PayPal and too many crooks and chancers.

Social source share

My eBay account tells me that I've bought seven items in the last month; 70 in the last six months, and 125 in the last 12 months.

Not a lot, I know, but 95% will have been 'Northern Soul' records. Add to that all the ones I didn't win and for certain there's stuff out there all right.

I think most of my purchases wouldn't fall into the "top 500 oldie, classic rarity or current in demander" category. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Not a lot ??  I'm 1 ,6 and 23 and most of then cost me less than a fiver (inc p&p). Should add all are originals.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Not a lot ??  I'm 1 ,6 and 23 and most of then cost me less than a fiver (inc p&p). Should add all are originals.

Well, it doesn't seem a lot to me. Oh, to have the funds to buy more!

Anyway, my point was that there's stuff to be had on eBay, and I still maintain that's still very much the case.

Seems in this thread you have sellers complaining they can't sell things on eBay and buyers claiming they can't buy things. That doesn't quite add up.  :rofl:

Social source share

Guest Soulfood33

Agreed Dave, "Price your records at a profitable level that you are happy with and that is attractive to buyers. It's not about trying to look clever with lots of high ticket records on your site or list, it's about having empty shelves.If you see a record you sold last week, sell the next for more money, think nothing of it, just do what you do well and go and buy some more records and do it all over again."

Very sound advise from John Anderson - who now has empty shelves, unlike poor old Craig Moerer who is now left with the best vinyl stock in the world. And remember like John says "don't give it a second thought"

Social source share

Well, it doesn't seem a lot to me. Oh, to have the funds to buy more!

Anyway, my point was that there's stuff to be had on eBay, and I still maintain that's still very much the case.

Seems in this thread you have sellers complaining they can't sell things on eBay and buyers claiming they can't buy things. That doesn't quite add up.  :rofl:

There is still good stuff to be bought on ebay, (and yes got to agree with you about the funds bit lol) but hunting through the rubbish that is also there can be a chore.

Social source share

I don't 'hunt', I use eBay's 'saved searches' function. Every day I get a dozen or so, often more, alerts from ebay when things I'm after are for sale.

You can have up to 100 saved searches, which is great, but is also a bit frustrating if, like me, you have more than that on your Wants list!

I work from home and am sat in front of the computer for most of the day. So, when the ebay alerts come in, late morning or mid afternoon, I get right on them. It's a much more efficient way of 'hunting' in my view.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Agreed Dave, "Price your records at a profitable level that you are happy with and that is attractive to buyers. It's not about trying to look clever with lots of high ticket records on your site or list, it's about having empty shelves.If you see a record you sold last week, sell the next for more money, think nothing of it, just do what you do well and go and buy some more records and do it all over again."

Very sound advise from John Anderson - who now has empty shelves, unlike poor old Craig Moerer who is now left with the best vinyl stock in the world. And remember like John says "don't give it a second thought"

Not sure on your assumption that Craig Moerer is left with stocks he can't shift. He averages 2.500 feedback transactions per month on Ebay - check his completed listings - a healthy turn over most of us would be happy @ 10 % of . Plus he sells through Discogs, Music Stack and prob Gemm as well as his own website. Poor ? WTF do me a favour - Wish I could sell a tenth of what he shifts .....  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Defiantely an increase on Facebook selling, very personal and fees can be minimalised / avoided.........  :thumbsup:

Have to say that earlier this year I quit the two or three record buying/wants groups on Facebook that I was in. The noise level in those groups is far too great ("Great tune, mate" / "Wish I could afford that, but got to feed the cat" / "Tom, Dick & Harry played that in me bath last week"), and I had a couple of crappy deals off people. 

Doing business here and on eBay, and buying from those you know, is considerably more reassuring and much more "hassle free" (IMHO).

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Have to say that earlier this year I quit the two or three record buying/wants groups on Facebook that I was in. The noise level in those groups is far too great ("Great tune, mate" / "Wish I could afford that, but got to feed the cat" / "Tom, Dick & Harry played that in me bath last week"), and I had a couple of crappy deals off people. 

Doing business here and on eBay, and buying from those you know, is considerably more reassuring and much more "hassle free" (IMHO).

Hi again Russell, Just recently bought a record of a member here (only the 2nd time i've done it) and you are so right no hassle either time.

Social source share

I must have been unlucky. Now that I think about it, I was unlucky four times...

* A 45 from Spain that was badly graded.

* Kelly Garret - Love's the only answer - graded ex, but came with a 30-45 second hiss in one channel (seller completely professional and refunded without fuss).

* A 45 from Italy that was badly graded and came in flimsy packaging (for which I was overcharged).

* A 45 from a UK seller, also poorly graded, and also with flimsy packaging on which the seller made a good profit on p&p costs.

eBay offers buyer protection & a powerful dispute process. Soul Source offers the threat of loss of reputation (and Rod). Facebook doesn't offer any protection when you buy from people you don't know. 

Social source share

Totally disagree as if it was a top 500 overplayed ear bleedin poo poo i wouldent be interested unless i could make a proffit.

Mr DJ please play me summit i dont know.

Also Benji you should try my local soul in the bowl rushden big room for the classics, Lens den for everything else, Both rooms packed and talk of the east midlands.

loads of other venues for underplayed rarer stuff a few to mention ==

Raven Whitchurch

Archibald WMC Whitchurch

Pure soul at the crown Nunneaton

Grumpy soul Runcorn

These are just a few i have been to recently and top notch, 

And another good one for me is my living room where i play all my new discoveries.

But at the end of the day it's whatever float's yer boat

Garry

Well said Garry, hope to see you soon matey :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Well said Garry, hope to see you soon matey :thumbsup:

Realy look forward to spinnin a few sounds at your venue in near future as it is a top spot for underplayed stuff, this is a realy reccomended venue  gotta say its

amazin as anyone that has big pocket can buy the big ones but find the rarer stuf, bring it on

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!