*mr Fish - The Early Doors Set*

Mister Fish

Playlist:

Sonny Turner & Sound Limited - Now that you're gone (Musicor)

La'Dellics - I'll never change my love for you (Mojo)

Compacts - Why can't it be (Carla)

Four Mints - Can't get strung out (Capsoul)

Mystiques - So good to have you home again (Twinight)

Decisions - Color me blue (York)

International Five - So in love with you (Starway)

Little Gregory & Concepts - Look, and you'll see (Lompri)

Lacleve Milon - Your love (S.O.H)

Hector Rivera - I want you, I need you, I love you (4 Points)

Chollo Rivera & Latin Soul Drives - I could never hurt you girl (Cotique)

Mist - The girl at the window (Twinight)

Tony Baxter - Why is it taking so long (Gates)

George Scott - My neighborhood (Maple LP)

Richard Smith - Mama cried (Hi Q)

Lovations - la la la (I keep singing) (Part 111)

Dontells - I can't wait (Ambassador)

Bonnevilles - I'll be right there (Now)

Speck & GH Outlaw Gang - Hell girl (Faces)

Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr - You can't blame me (Capsoul)

Natural Four - Hurt (ABC LP)

Joey Irving - What happened to the love we knew (Vincent)

Valentinos - Stay away (Clean)

Jesse McFall & Funk Elegant Orch - You ought to know (Choice)

B.J.B - I gotta make you believe in me (Tee-Ti)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Isn't it just! I remember playing it at the Smersh bar a few years ago to many admiring glances but nobody knew it at the time. Anyone know anymore about the record? Are there mainlt just double sided demos of the other side? Hard to find or just rare for some reason? Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Although it's an early doors set I could listen to sets like this, and of this tempo, all evening in the right setting ie pub, bar or lounge.

Little Gregory & Concepts, George Scott particularly good to my ear

Nice one

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Isn't it just! I remember playing it at the Smersh bar a few years ago to many admiring glances but nobody knew it at the time. Anyone know anymore about the record? Are there mainlt just double sided demos of the other side? Hard to find or just rare for some reason? Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Heard it first only a couple of weeks ago on your soul people mix cloud upload Paul ! Been on rewind ever since !

Social source share

Hi Paul, mines a white promo with both sides. I know it was released in 1972 and didn't fare too well at the time, but not much else.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

You never listened to the Ripolles Brothers last Soul People radio show a few months back then. :wink:

Essential listening !!!! How did I miss this one ! Too much good stuff that's the problem ! :)

Social source share

Hi Paul, mines a white promo with both sides. I know it was released in 1972 and didn't fare too well at the time, but not much else.

I’ve found the issue really hard to get hold of. This was released while Sonny was running “his” version of the Platters and the different Platters factions were fighting for supremacy, so there may have been a lack of promotion.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Polyvelts

I take its a really quiet pub on the South Bank somewhere, with people in black polo necks, small beards and top notch taste. 

Can I come next time, amazing music to have a pint to.

I take it you've never been to coldharbour lane before jocko !! :)

Social source share

Although it's an early doors set I could listen to sets like this, and of this tempo, all evening in the right setting ie pub, bar or lounge.

Little Gregory & Concepts, George Scott particularly good to my ear

Nice one

thumbsup.gif

Probably telling you summat you already know Dave, 2 other great tracks on the George Scott LP "Let the past be the past" and the incredible "I'm a fool for you"

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Probably telling you summat you already know Dave, 2 other great tracks on the George Scott LP "Let the past be the past" and the incredible "I'm a fool for you"

Kev

Thanks Kev, yeah already knew 'em mate. In fact one of the 2 YT posts of "Let The Past" is mine.

"I'm A Fool For You" is as you say incredible mate, 

Love the slower and more soulful Johnny Brantley stuff on Maple ie George Scott, Lee Moses, Gloria Barnes etc ... top notch soul music.

Social source share

Thanks Kev, yeah already knew 'em mate. In fact one of the 2 YT posts of "Let The Past" is mine.

"I'm A Fool For You" is as you say incredible mate, 

Love the slower and more soulful Johnny Brantley stuff on Maple ie George Scott, Lee Moses, Gloria Barnes etc ... top notch soul music.

:ohmy: Doh, yes Dave, I actually noticed last night that it was your post mate, was awaiting your reply :lol: I had a good Idea you would already be onto them

Best

Kev

Social source share

I've also got Tony Baxter's versions of 'Let the past be the past' and 'Why is taking so long' on Gates

Anyone know the connection between him and George Scott?

"Why is it taking so long" sounds great on the podcast Steve, If "Let the past" is anywhere near as good as George Scott, then thats some double sider

Kev

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"Why is it taking so long" sounds great on the podcast Steve, If "Let the past" is anywhere near as good as George Scott, then thats some double sider

Kev

It really is an immense double-sider; Here it is... 'Let the past be the past' by Tony Baxter

https://www.divshare.com/download/24002575-528

Edited by Mister Fish
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I've also got Tony Baxter's versions of 'Let the past be the past' and 'Why is taking so long' on Gates

Anyone know the connection between him and George Scott?

The connection mate is they're Johnny Brantley productions.

Brantley was well known for recording the same songs with different artists.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Incredible, better than George Scott IMHO, and that is saying something, immense double sider ? oh yes

Kev

Listening to the clip I've got to agree with ya Kev. I'd only previously heard it on John Ridley's SirShambling site which has a lesser quality soundfile.

"Let The Past Be The Past" is a later version of Ray Lewis - "Give My Love A Try" ... another magnificent record, and another great double-sider with "Getting Over You" on the flip.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!