Revilot -Jackey Beavers

Over the years it has appeared that although The Parliaments records on Revilot have been very numerous,yet the Jackey Beavers seems much,much less around. Anyone have an explanation?

Also,on Revilot,why so many Darrel Banks whilst so few (in comparison) to Rose Battiste?

To end on Jackey Beavers,anyone know the stories behind his Grandland/Jadan recordings? How rare are these,bearing in mind these are not northern soul,just relevant collectors items,which untill recently remained under the radar?

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Rob.

Social source share

I'd say some of the Jaber and Grandland records have indeed been Northern Soul for a very long time. The Grandland was played covered-up thirty years ago, and some of the Jaber 45s have had big price tags for almost as long: "Not Too Young" and both versions of "Lover Come Back". The easiest Jaber Title seems to be "Hold On".

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Darrell Banks had a million seller in 66 with open the door..likewise the Parliaments in 67 with testify.. hence their other output is relitevely common, whereas Rose batiste and jackey beavers, never had a decent selling 45 to warrent, any large presses of their discs..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

'Bring Me All Your Heartaches' on Grandland is a total classic for me - at least as a collector's record. Think it was fairly big at Stafford too was it not?

Cheers

Richard

To be perfectly frank I only went there 4 times ! So I personally don't have any particular remembrance of it being played there. This record just does not have a northern soul beat.

Social source share

Darrell Banks had a million seller in 66 with open the door..likewise the Parliaments in 67 with testify.. hence their other output is relitevely common, whereas Rose batiste and jackey beavers, never had a decent selling 45 to warrent, any large presses of their discs..

Ok fair comment full of logic -but everyone is well aware of this :thumbsup: I was meaning to find out why that disparity... :hatsoff2: and just what volume were the Revilot discs originally pressed , There seems to be millions of Parliaments DBSAM.....but few Jackey Beavers... :(

Social source share

I think some of it as well was down to Jackey. He recorded his 60's stuff, but was never one for doing that many live appearances which always help to sell your records locally. He then moved himself and all the band down to Georgia in the late 60's and started all over again with John R in Nashville. He seemed to want to make a fresh start, and leave his Detroit days behind him. Even later he found god, became a minister and left his musical past totally behind.

On the occasions I met him, he really didn't want to talk about his music career that much, although he was always fun to be with. A really nice guy and a sad loss.......

Social source share

Is the Grandland 45 considered "rare"? Used to be cheap and although prices have gone up nowadays is still relatively easy to find.

mebbe someone should point that out to the delars then :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think some of it as well was down to Jackey. He recorded his 60's stuff, but was never one for doing that many live appearances which always help to sell your records locally. He then moved himself and all the band down to Georgia in the late 60's and started all over again with John R in Nashville. He seemed to want to make a fresh start, and leave his Detroit days behind him. Even later he found god, became a minister and left his musical past totally behind.

On the occasions I met him, he really didn't want to talk about his music career that much, although he was always fun to be with. A really nice guy and a sad loss.......

Yeah,his "biography" is about on line but nothing in detail about his Detroit life or recordings there,just wondering if anyone knew how many of his stuff was pressed,so as to better understand their scarcity.With prices all over the stratosphere its hard seperating dealers BS from the truth.

And speaking of Revilot,what others are becoming scarce?The JJ Barnes OLIITP is still for me,a fabulous,fabulous,all time fave -real northern soul,is this record still considered to be common? :g:

Social source share

Yeah,his "biography" is about on line but nothing in detail about his Detroit life or recordings there,just wondering if anyone knew how many of his stuff was pressed,so as to better understand their scarcity.With prices all over the stratosphere its hard seperating dealers BS from the truth.

And speaking of Revilot,what others are becoming scarce?The JJ Barnes OLIITP is still for me,a fabulous,fabulous,all time fave -real northern soul,is this record still considered to be common? :g:

Jackey Beavers on Revilot has always been a rare one - especially in decent condition.

While not in the same league rarity-wise I also rate J.J. Barnes as one of the harder ones to pick up on the label these days - and remember it is on both the pink and multi-coloured labels.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Don,t know how true it is Gilly might be the one to ask but I heard that the reason his Revilot (brilliant) outing is rare was because after the first lot was released it was deemed to be a poor recording and the copies that didn,t sell were brought back in and destroyed, obviously only leaving the few that had sold in circulation, cue Gilly

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Don,t know how true it is Gilly might be the one to ask but I heard that the reason his Revilot (brilliant) outing is rare was because after the first lot was released it was deemed to be a poor recording and the copies that didn,t sell were brought back in and destroyed, obviously only leaving the few that had sold in circulation, cue Gilly

Kev

It's more simple than that. It just didn't sell, Revilot would have done a fairly decent first pressing run on all their releases. In the 70's a fair few were found in different warehouses in Detroit. At the time was seen as to slow for the UK scene and many of these went to Japan.

As for his Jaber stuff, Jackey told me that most saw little more than 1000-2000 pressing runs, which is pretty small. The US was only pressed at 500, as it totally bombed, and they got no orders from the usual distributors, to justify any more being pressed. Similar situation with Karen Striblin and his own 'Lover come back'. If I remember the conversation correctly, the ones that did see bigger pressing runs, were Mighty Elegants, his rendition of 'Hold on'

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To be perfectly frank I only went there 4 times ! So I personally don't have any particular remembrance of it being played there. This record just does not have a northern soul beat.

Maybe not but it has been played on this scene since it was covered up, right through the 80's up until today, its hardly under the radar unless you've been on the moon for 30 years. There are plenty of examples of records that don't have the Northern Beat whatever that is, I take it you mean four beats to the bar?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Maybe not but it has been played on this scene since it was covered up, right through the 80's up until today, its hardly under the radar unless you've been on the moon for 30 years. There are plenty of examples of records that don't have the Northern Beat whatever that is, I take it you mean four beats to the bar?

Covered up as what mate - Emanuel Laskey maybe :g:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

On the first question,
I sat with Ron Murphy some 20 odd years ago in the National Sound Corp. in Detroit
His words were , there was as many Jackie Beavers - I need My Baby as there was Open the Door , at one point , But Revilot Studio and storage got busted for drugs the outcome being , the storage was bulldozed and what was left .....was what we have.
His words (as wise as it gets about Detroit Soul)... Not mine

Edited by Lenny Harkins
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

the storage was bulldozed and what was left .

You can just see it can't you

Channel 4  2000hrs  TimeTeam   Detroit Tip special  

Tony Robinson and the team unearth hundreds of detroit soul gems  some still in boxes wrapped in polythene

Social source share

It's more simple than that. It just didn't sell, Revilot would have done a fairly decent first pressing run on all their releases. In the 70's a fair few were found in different warehouses in Detroit. At the time was seen as to slow for the UK scene and many of these went to Japan.

As for his Jaber stuff, Jackey told me that most saw little more than 1000-2000 pressing runs, which is pretty small. The US was only pressed at 500, as it totally bombed, and they got no orders from the usual distributors, to justify any more being pressed. Similar situation with Karen Striblin and his own 'Lover come back'. If I remember the conversation correctly, the ones that did see bigger pressing runs, were Mighty Elegants, his rendition of 'Hold on'

Thanks Dave for this info,its what I was basically asking :hatsoff2:

Social source share

On the first question,

I sat with Ron Murphy some 20 odd years ago in the National Sound Corp. in Detroit

His words were , there was as many Jackie Beavers - I need My Baby as there was Open the Door , at one point , But Revilot Studio and storage got busted for drugs the outcome being , the storage was bulldozed and what was left .....was what we have.

His words (as wise as it gets about Detroit Soul)... Not mine

Wow ! Thanks for this reason,I never knew about this. :(

Social source share

Cheers,Chalk's ! :thumbup: I meant as in.....real Northern Soul ie the halcyon years,not the re-invented later ones :lol:

Social source share

lots of music, most, has 4 beats to the bar, Motown and traditional NS had a four on the fours beat, ie both drums, and all other percussion hit at the same time. It distiguishes it from othe dance genre's, disco, house funk ect. However there are loads of exceptions too. 

Social source share

the revilot 45 was in danger of being de rarified at one point by the amount of beat up copies listed on ebay so it must have sold a few in and around detroit..the key is finding a nice copy....still would fetch a grand i reckon

Seemed like there was one a week about 3 or 4 years ago. Still, it seems to turn up in Grand Rapids (in rough condition) more than Detroit. 

My copy was found in Minneapolis, and even stranger it's autographed by Jackey Beavers, but I supposed people do move. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!