Richard Searling Book?

Orotava

Hi, I`m a big fan of Richard Searling and have searched the net to see if he`s ever written a book about the Northern Soul scene.

Anyone know?

Thanks and regards,

it may well be in the pipeline...he's done more or less everything else and apart from tim brown,s oracle, the life and times of one of the u.k.'s iconic djs would be a pretty fascinating read.......other than adey and his association with the beloved kent legacy.

Social source share

Richard was talking about writing one a year or two back. He asked me for a collectors Top 20 as I recall. But I have not heard any more....Maybe ask him on his website?.....

Yep, looked at his website but there doesn`t seem to be the facility to email him.

Social source share

Yep, looked at his website but there doesn`t seem to be the facility to email him.

Post something up and I am sure Richard will reply....

I emailed Richard via his website last year to enquire about any progress - as Steve G says, Richard has been talking about it for a few years. I seem to recall him saying that he was hoping to make a start/had done a bit of research for it. As has been said it would be a top read from a man who has great taste in soul music and really set the bar.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Would this book be educational or just another total self indulgent historical Richard Searling journey. What ever happens or is documented its 30 years to late, then the serious smell of staleness should help it sell.

But then the above posting may look favourable for some, as it seem's Sean Hampsey has recently slipped back into and under the Searling family bed covers.

:)

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Would this book be educational or just another total self indulgent historical Richard Searling journey. What ever happens or is documented its 30 years to late, then the serious smell of staleness should help it sell.

But then the above posting may look favourable for some, as it seem's Sean Hampsey has recently slipped back into and under the Searling family bed covers.

:)

:D Be good to light the fire with

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Would definitely like to read that. Someone told me last year that jethro the great dancer from Wigan was writing one. Sorry cant remember who told me and never saw jethro dance, but have obviously heard of him. Would prob be a good read as well. Sorry to go slightly off thread....rob

its not really an off thread quote bro, afterall, jethro was a character in his own right, back in the day a great dancer. i remember him from the catacombs but not so from wigan as i so seldom ventured there, only the stories about him and the other west midland crew who had an affect on the dancefloor, but if he did write anything, its only too reasonable to assume its going to personal recollections...same as richard really, except richard has the whole record collecting and djing scene to analyse which is going to add substance and colour to a book straight away.....thats of course, should he get round to doing it. the upshot is, a literary compendium of personal life and documented recollections of all aspects of djing & vinyl is not something any of us have had the chance to browse and tim's dosnt count because he stated from the outset that his book would focus purely on the music and in a chronolgical order. yes, a nice glossy hardback would be the order of the day!.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've seen the "work in progress" and it looks to be very interesting although it's not strictly about Richard's life and history within the scene more about the records/artists that have influnced him and given him so much pleasure over the years. About 6 or 7 years ago a student was going to do a dissertation on Richard but it never came to fruition unfortunately. As has been said before, post on his site and I'm sure he will happily answer: www.richardsearling.co.uk

Best

Steve

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

although it's not strictly about Richard's life and history within the scene more about the records/artists that have influenced HIM and given HIM so much pleasure over the years.

So it is a documented self indulgent, influenced wrapped up journey about HIM !!!!  

:lol::lol: - strictly not !!!!

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

i'll have a chat with him as well, at prestatyn, see how far he's got and the likelihood of a finishing date if that not too premature.

Don't bother Robert - the above just proves that "you do what you do best" - creep !!  

Social source share

So it is a documented self indulgent, influenced wrapped up journey about HIM !!!!  

:lol::lol: - strictly not !!!!

OK, OK I guess I worded that incorrectly. If anything it looks more like a reference book than a biography if that makes sense. Oh... and by the way Nick, whatever happened to "easy like Sunday morning" :D  :D

Steve

Social source share

• 9 months later...
Guest Rodney LeePeace

Definate book I'd like to see is an Adey Croasdale one with all the kent liner notes and more what a book that would be.

How about it Adey

And also another book on Detroit soul outside motown,grooves vile was superb.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!