Repeat Tunes Played Venues

Maybe that could be seen as respect to another dj who is on before you/them.Certainly a forward thinking dj ,on the night,would avoid

repeats if he paid more attention as to else was djing.One way is to have an an idea on who plays what.

True.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Its not really on duplicating obvious oldies in the same night... Show some respect to the crowd and promoter and get there early.If you get there late ask the previous djto flick through the records he played and make a mental note and cross your fingers.Last year I heard the Montclairs Hey You twice on the same night...someone wasn't listening.

It's amazing how a repeat tune is REALLY noticable isn't it? I think I'm correct in saying that 'in the old days' some tunes were repeated more than twice in a night, and that it didn't matter because they were relatively fresh back then. I'm pretty sure I would have wanted to hear 'Eddie Parker - I'm Gone' at least six times in one night as a teenager :yes:

I'll 'name a name' as this is a compliment - I was D.Jing in a second room a few months back, and Rob Smith was on after me. He of course had his record stall which was situated in another room, so he didn't know what had been played, so he asked if he could see what I had played. I handed him all the records from my spot, so he could flick through them. He then went on and started his set 'keeping with the theme' - All very professional I thought......Wasn't sure what to make of his comment "So you're Lenny Dopson are ya?" though :D 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember that time,back in the 70`s,when the crowd would applaud a record,an approval-if you like. 

Maybe now is the time to show disapproval-slow handclap for repeats-or walk off the floor?

Not necessary to hear the same tune more than once in one nite®,unless a dj is breaking it.

First place I can remember not hearing a tune duplicated was 100 Club(80`s).

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It's amazing how a repeat tune is REALLY noticable isn't it? I think I'm correct in saying that 'in the old days' some tunes were repeated more than twice in a night, and that it didn't matter because they were relatively fresh back then. I'm pretty sure I would have wanted to hear 'Eddie Parker - I'm Gone' at least six times in one night as a teenager :yes:

I'll 'name a name' as this is a compliment - I was D.Jing in a second room a few months back, and Rob Smith was on after me. He of course had his record stall which was situated in another room, so he didn't know what had been played, so he asked if he could see what I had played. I handed him all the records from my spot, so he could flick through them. He then went on and started his set 'keeping with the theme' - All very professional I thought......Wasn't sure what to make of his comment "So you're Lenny Dopson are ya?" though :D 

All the best,

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it infamy.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

At Hinckley, Reggie Garner - Hotline used to be played at least 6 times a night for a period of about a year. Then it dropped off to just 3 or 4.

Social source share

sorry my comment doesnt make sense.

I've Maybe that could be seen as respect to another dj who is on before you/them.Certainly a forward thinking dj ,on the night,would avoid repeats if he paid more attention as to else was djing.One way is to have an an idea on who plays what.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Guest Gazfunk

Maybe some djs duplicate tracks because they have picked out their setlist already and don't want to veer away from it even if they have heard one of their tracks played earlier by another dj.

If someone is booked to dj at a certain timeslot, is it not o.k. for them to turn up a bit later if they weren't fussed on hearing djs who are playing before them as it's not their bag? They could duplicate one track because they weren't there, but I personally don't see that as too much of an issue. I certainly wouldn't be advocating all djs turning up to an event at opening time to try and ensure no tunes are repeated.

Luckily over here (Belfast) it's not that common as most of the nights I go to/dj at have very varied tastes so it's unlikely to hear songs repeated. In saying that, there's still people who will regularly play the same songs in their set or play tracks that are so tired (like Do I Love You, The Snake, The Night, Tainted Love etc) - now that really does annoy me!

Social source share

one problem with duplication is if you are arriving at a venue with a small box to do a half hour spot , when the guys before

you play half of the tunes you have selected !! , Never affected me much as i play  "warm up " so after my spot i just sit there and

see the other guys cringe ( only joking CCS Jocks )

Edited by FRANKIE M
Social source share

i think theres a lot of excuses being posted personally....

a spot is only 25 tunes tops....i can fit about 50+ with card sleeves in  my small box (which is only used for sales)...thats two sets worth...if somones asked you to play you should at least carry a 100 box (i take 200)...theyre not heavy...used to work with a reggae sound playing for 3+ hours and take 3 crates of 12s aswell as my sevens!

not going cos they might not like the other djs on first?....i wouldnt have thought so and wouldnt be welcome at our gig to be honest !!...move over and let someone play who has a passion for the scene and playing

in my opinion

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The risk of repeated tunes is reduced if a night is made up of D.J's with different identities (their own preferably) I know there's many Jocks out there that could quite easily turn up 5 minutes before their spot safely in the knowledge that more than likely, none of their tunes would have been played, and that's not because they have a box of 'one off's.

These people wouldn't do the turning up 5 mins before their spot thing anyway; these are the sorts that go to nights whether they're D.Jing or not, so would be there reasonably early because it's their night out.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Gazfunk

I meant that the dj themselves may not be too keen on the stuff the other djs at the night play (I'm sure we've all seen djs at events that just don't do it for us) I don't think anyone who thinks like that has any less passion for the music. I know plenty of djs who are like that and in my opinion that's fair enough - if you aren't keen on the music being played by a certain dj(s) why should you be there from opening time to listen to them?

I'm sure there's djs out there are who mightn't like my style who have dj'd at the same event as me and turned up later - I wouldn't be in the slightest bit annoyed about that. The mod scene is especially common for that - some djs play Northern, some garage/psych, some RnB, some latin & hammond, some revival, some ska etc etc but not all of those genres would necessarily appeal to everyone who goes to that night so some poeple (including djs) might turn up later.

a spot is only 25 tunes tops....i can fit about 50+ with card sleeves in  my small box (which is only used for sales)...thats two sets worth...if somones asked you to play you should at least carry a 100 box (i take 200)...theyre not heavy...used to work with a reggae sound playing for 3+ hours and take 3 crates of 12s aswell as my sevens!

not going cos they might not like the other djs on first?....i wouldnt have thought so and wouldnt be welcome at our gig to be honest !!...move over and let someone play who has a passion for the scene and playing

in my opinion

dean

Social source share

in all honesty , i have not really come across this at all  and if  a dj plays a top tune already played so be it ! ,in another life i used to run a Mobile disco in the 70s ,we got booked for a pub do and when we got there the landlord said " you do know its an Elvis night tonight !"

no we didnt !! and we had three elvis records , now theres duplication !!

Social source share

agree maybe a mod nite and a dj plays rnb he doesnt have to turn up for the latin dj who starts....dont think the original post was referring to that kind of situation...

big allnighter...mainly northern oldies ....top name dj turns up at 3 for his 4oclock set and goes home when done after playing at least two overplayed oldies which had been played in the last couple of hours....seen it happen after being told a few hours earlier that it would happen!!..i dont think the .dj should have to turn up at 9 even then but maybe11/12...

i also didnt mean he may not be passionate about the music,who am i to say that about anyone...what i meant was hes obviously just going through the motions....there are literally hundreds of djs who would love that slot and think about what they would play for weeks in adv and make sure they were there before not to duplicate and have enough in reserve if his proposed set had been played...personally i would rather hear his set even if they were not four figure tunes

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think if you look back at some event playlists you can find that the same  dj`s will play the same few tunes,in a set, every time they are on at the same venue.

This may be because they are not out all weekend,every weekend djing and deem it ok to do what they are doing.

I`m not saying they are duplicating fellow dj tunes-it`s that they play certain of their own tunes every time they are on.

And it isn`t as if these venues are weekly-so perhaps it`s irrelevant-but for me,it doesn`t make good reading.

Can`t speak for anyone else.

Social source share

out of the 30 tunes i play each month at our night there may be a dozen i play each time as i know they are crowd faves but i do try to make the rest of the set up with stuff ive only just bought,havnt played for a while or at all..

i havnt really got a problem with djs playing much the same set...most of them are big tunes and thats what theyve been employed to do by the promoters and the majority of the crowd want to hear..at our night the djs know they havnt got to do that though we like them to do as THEY please ,we book djs we trust and it normally works..but thats a different thread

to be honest nowadays i dont get annoyed hearing tunes repeated..dissapointed when its 3 or 4 times but it is in my experiance only at certain niters which i dont go to that often...and still enjoy when i do despite the repeats

Social source share

All I wanted to say ws I've heard the same conversation as Len several time, repeated by different well known ds, on one occassion I heard 3 dj's arguing about who was going to play what. all the said tunes were hammered anyway. Who'd want to be an oldies DJ eh? Spending a couple of grand on a record only to find the residents and the other guest has it to! LOL, really boring and so uncreative.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Although I'd like it in the old days at Wigan, when you could clammer to the dance for when Dickie would spin the then c/u titles of Joe Mathews/Christine Cooper/Del Capreez (no prizes for real names) 3 or sometimes 4 times a night, but that was the only place on the planet they could be heard, (& had never been heard anywhere else before) so that's different & that was how they were broke and caught on very quickly.

But IMO (for what it's worth) nothing should be played twice at an event these days by design or mistake.

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Although I'd like it in the old days at Wigan, when you could clammer to the dance for when Dickie would spin the then c/u titles of Joe Mathews/Christine Cooper/Del Capreez (no prizes for real names) 3 or sometimes 4 times a night, but that was the only place on the planet they could be heard, (& had never been heard anywhere else before) so that's different & that was how they were broke and caught on very quickly.

But IMO (for what it's worth) nothing should be played twice at an event these days by design or mistake.

Aid.

Agreed, unless (as has been stated before, which you touch apon in your post) somone is breaking a new tune. It's a rare occasion nowadays, but there's nothing better than hearing a D.J saying "First time out for this" ....then 'underlining' his set with the same record again - especially if he does it right, and has a packed floor to it the second time - Great stuff :yes: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Yup - Lets here it for 'Soul in the Bowl' aye Terry?! :rofl:  :lol:

......that is where you meant isn't it mate? :D

All the best,

i agree lenny such dasterdly deeds would never happen in the den, every record spun is a holy grail. roll on the next one.

A.T.B. Garry

Social source share

in my opinion

dean

Spot on.....there's hundreds of deejays out there and if you are lucky and priveliged to be asked  to deejay get there early...mentally note records played...if youre late ask the other deejays what the have played.I usually carry a 100 box and have a few exclusives....just got an alt cut of Ray Charles-I Don't Need No Doctor..lets be realistic...oldies events are the majority of events and people like what they know..but there's thousands of oldies out there...there is no excuse unless youre breaking an exclusive (but you should be the only one with it!!).Different back in the day when there was only three copies in the country and people travelled to hear records and there was a stranglehold from the US to dealer in the UK to top deejay so the only way was to go to the venue...and get the record when booted and then the top deejay will have moved on to the next one.I like the story about Butch running over to a dj playing one of his exclusives and then ripping it off the decks.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

If you choose the records for your spot with imagination and personal taste, rather than sticking to the tried (tired) and tested, then no matter how cheap they are no one will reproduce what you play.

Matt (box full o cheapies) Male

Social source share

All I wanted to say ws I've heard the same conversation as Len several time, repeated by different well known ds, on one occassion I heard 3 dj's arguing about who was going to play what. all the said tunes were hammered anyway. Who'd want to be an oldies DJ eh? Spending a couple of grand on a record only to find the residents and the other guest has it to! LOL, really boring and so uncreative.

just wanted to say I've heard the same conversation, as Len, several times, repeated by well known dj's. I once heard 3 dj's argueing about who was playing what., Who'd be an oldies dj eh? spending a grand on a tune only to find out the residents and the other guest have already played it, really boring and very uncreative, not what appeals to me about spinning discs.

Repeat post - almost.!!! Don't you just hate repeat posts. :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I bet there's gonna be a lot of repeats @ Prestatyn this weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:  :lol: lol  :dash2:

I remember at Prestatyn in the main room Jo Jama getting played maybe 4/5 time in one night on the same stage :sleep3: ... Yes indeed it was flavour of the month and each of the djs had a copy....   It was a cock waving exercise by each dj i guess with little thought for anyone else...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

look at the end of the day any djs worth his salt arrives at least a hour before his set to many arrive 5 mins before and leave 5 mins after there set  not on """""""""""

How about arriving long before their set and staying til the end and enjoying other peoples music..........because if it were the other way around the punter turning up 5 mins before  the dj,s set then f**king straight off   there would be uproar

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I remember at Prestatyn in the main room Jo Jama getting played maybe 4/5 time in one night on the same stage :sleep3: ... Yes indeed it was flavour of the month and each of the djs had a copy....   It was a cock waving exercise by each dj i guess with little thought for anyone else...

Don,t get that at all.........who;d wanna play that  EVER!!!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yup - Lets here it for 'Soul in the Bowl' aye Terry?! :rofl:  :lol:

......that is where you meant isn't it mate? :D

All the best,

Yeh can,t wait for the next one :sleep3:

Social source share

How about arriving long before their set and staying til the end and enjoying other peoples music..........because if it were the other way around the punter turning up 5 mins before  the dj,s set then f**king straight off   there would be uproar

cant see that though mate honestly how many djs turn up well before there set and stay till the end of the night i know a lot travel a fair way so i can under stand that but local djs no way no excuse most are booked way in advance so they sort things out knowing that they djing that night 

Social source share

Awful record as well :yes:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

cant see that though mate honestly how many djs turn up well before there set and stay till the end of the night i know a lot travel a fair way so i can under stand that but local djs no way no excuse most are booked way in advance so they sort things out knowing that they djing that night 

I wonder how many go out as a "mere" punter when they're not "working".

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I wonder how many go out as a "mere" punter when they're not "working".

hardly any thats why they f**k up so often lol
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Awful record as well :yes:

why does it get played so much at these type of venues...after all it wern,t played a wigin...so l would of thought it fit in the "don,t like that upfront sh*t!" camp.......as opposed to just the plain old SH*T!!!! camp LOL LOL Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Ageed,my view don,t book em.....surely you,d think their thoughts would be to make a night of it,have the crac,bit of a dance,couple of beers ect ect........seen dj,s at soul nights turn up do said spot then f**k off.....whats that about.

Travel 200 miles to my fav venue with my mate who's a resident dj...get there as it opens and go home after last tune....and have fun inbetween lol

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Heres My comments from the feedback in events of Sheffield City hall held courtesy of Goldsoul LTD but should I have expected anything other than what happened??????????????????

"One thing i didnt add but maybe should have put in the original post....DJ's give courtesy to your paying guests make a list so the guy following doesnt play the same tune.
In the modern room Micheal wycoff Looking up to you got aired 3 times, George Benson Love x Love 2 times, I heard tunes in the big room and the same in the alternative room,
Years ago DJs made an effort and turned up listened to pre sets by other djs and didnt repeat, we certainly commented about it and for me unforgivable ... it is basically telling the paying public Im not making the effort, coz we dont give a chuff about you...

Take that as me saying "sacrilege" a total violation of the sacred rule

Geeoooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

why does it get played so much at these type of venues...after all it wern,t played a wigin...so l would of thought it fit in the "don,t like that upfront sh*t!" camp.......as opposed to just the plain old SH*T!!!! camp LOL LOL

I suppose some like it, some think they like it (Sheep syndrome)

You and I have different musical tastes Terry (or at least when / where we should be hearing certain styles) but there’s no denying either taste is Soulful - We have a ‘mutual disrespect’ on this which is fine, and it can actually be fun (sometimes!)

..…Point being - this record ain’t even soulful, so how did it ‘pop’ up anywhere in the first place? If I ever hear it - Fag time! 

....ooops almost forgot - IMHO of course :yes:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I suppose some like it, some think they like it (Sheep syndrome)

You and I have different musical tastes Terry (or at least when / where we should be hearing certain styles) but there’s no denying either taste is Soulful - We have a ‘mutual disrespect’ on this which is fine, and it can actually be fun (sometimes!)

..…Point being - this record ain’t even soulful, so how did it ‘pop’ up anywhere in the first place? If I ever hear it - Fag time! 

....ooops almost forgot - IMHO of course :yes:

All the best,

Do like some of the stuff you play in your little "lens den".......it,s just l wasn,t really ready to go to sleep lol
Social source share

Ive been at venues where the DJ has turned as my set finishes then plays a song or two thatbhave played...

Where, Who, Which tunes?

But I tell you what I would like to do, DJ somewhere where the NS top 20 wasn't the only way to get dance floor reaction! But thats another thread!

Why not go along to some of these other venues and enjoy yourself!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The incident I was talking about was at tbe Wigan young souls night. I am not knocking the night in any way, as they put a lot of effort into it. I dont know who the DJ was, but they turned up right at the end of my set and play Mr Floods Party after I had played it. I know it's not a groundbreaking tune, but I was on early doors so opened my set with a load of classic and got a decent floor reaction, but killed it with some more obscure tunes! Haha

I mainly go to scooter rallies so thats where I get my soul fix, some times it can be fantastic and some of the best tunes ive heard. But others, can be dire. Funds are tight and I live in an obscure location, but I would like to get to a couple of quality nights at some point this year.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The incident I was talking about was at tbe Wigan young souls night. I am not knocking the night in any way, as they put a lot of effort into it. I dont know who the DJ was, but they turned up right at the end of my set and play Mr Floods Party after I had played it. I know it's not a groundbreaking tune, but I was on early doors so opened my set with a load of classic and got a decent floor reaction, but killed it with some more obscure tunes! Haha

I mainly go to scooter rallies so thats where I get my soul fix, some times it can be fantastic and some of the best tunes ive heard. But others, can be dire. Funds are tight and I live in an obscure location, but I would like to get to a couple of quality nights at some point this year.

I suggest Burnley next Saturday and Soul Funktion the weekend after.

Social source share

Surerly submitting a play list by all djs in advance would eradicate this 

Don't think that this would work, Personally although i might have an idea of what i might play on the night i very rarely stick to it, other records slip in due to dance floor reaction,requests or a simple change of mind.

Social source share

oldies nights...oldies dj,s....oldies attitude.....get there just before my set.....go home just after......what goes before me, l ain,t listening and even if l was (which l ain,t) who cares?....what goes after....l ain,t listening......coz i,ve gone.....anyway who cares.....you,ve paid ya £10....stop moaning

Gordon, When the brain ceases to be responsive to incoming sound waves,that should give a feeling of stimulation.

A repetitive sound is sometimes the only form of communication.

This theory is regularly applied in the form a good ear bashing OR a night out at the wrong venue. lol

Atb Irish

Social source share

you'll get a loop m8 or noose. Did derby rolls royce friday heard at least 4 tracks played 2  + 2 three times just ticks me off

Stopped going to that Friday venue main room plays wedding music & pop Younghearts etc

Back room resident DJ's move between rooms usually so don't hear whats played before & don't tend to have large boxes or big mix's to play from.

Good Sunday's they've not been spoilt yet.

Was at willington last night played some tremendous music good night.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!