Repeat Tunes Played Venues

Guest JerryL

Its not just you.......Last time I went to Blackpool tower year before last one.....Isleys "Rumour"  was played 5 times........Ginger Taylor played his entire set....and all of his stuff had already been played...it was truely awfull..... so many tune possibilities....to hear the same stuff over and over....I will never go there again..

Social source share

at prestatyn spent most of my time in the redemption room and cant remember one repeat...the  times i was in the main room heard a few and a lot of complaints about it but was still rammed ??

was sitting up in the seats early evening having a pint and saw a dj turn up half hour before his set and say he was gonna play something a bit refreshing...within his first four played two tunes id heard maybe hour before he turned up,maybe why there was about 150 people in there and only half a dozen dancing!...and this wasnt 4 in the morning remember so no excuse really..if its an alldayer/niter/weekender need to be there a couple hours earlier than your set IMO

sean chapman on the other hand was in the arena all night before his late slot with a notebook writing down every tune that was in his playbox as it was played...so it can be done

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest scottie

was at an event just before xmas and three different versions of "wade in the water" by three different d.j.`s  its obviously d.j.s not listening to other sets before theirs

Social source share

was at an event just before xmas and three different versions of "wade in the water" by three different d.j.`s  its obviously d.j.s not listening to other sets before theirs

Don't think hearing different versions in the one night would bother me that much, so long as they were as different as say John Bishop Trio and Little Sonny's take on WITW.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Happened a lot at Prestatyn to be honest.  Rita and The Tiaras or Gloria Jones, just to be different, was played an inordinate amount. Flavour of the Weekend was Albert Washington - heard that on many more than one occasion. 

One well know DJ,  of some repute, was on Saturday and Sunday in the Main Room and started both his sets with the same 3 or 4 records, Criminal !! 

Its almost like they move around, see what people are Dancing to then play them themselves at their next venue etc etc and so the ball rolls ..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

at prestatyn spent most of my time in the redemption room and cant remember one repeat...the  times i was in the main room heard a few and a lot of complaints about it but was still rammed ??

was sitting up in the seats early evening having a pint and saw a dj turn up half hour before his set and say he was gonna play something a bit refreshing...within his first four played two tunes id heard maybe hour before he turned up,maybe why there was about 150 people in there and only half a dozen dancing!...and this wasnt 4 in the morning remember so no excuse really..if its an alldayer/niter/weekender need to be there a couple hours earlier than your set IMO

sean chapman on the other hand was in the arena all night before his late slot with a notebook writing down every tune that was in his playbox as it was played...so it can be done

dean

Sean is a Diamond.  If he is at a Venue, Big or Small, he arrives early and listens to what's being played. From this he doesn't duplicate and also gets a feel for the crowd and what they like.  Doesn't just turn up, play his stuff, get paid and sod off.

Social source share

anyone know if john bishop trio was the instrumental version played on sunday in the redemption room at prestatyn? wasnt little sonny...meant to ask the dj but forgot..doh!...got a friend on FB also asking who it was..cant find a you tube clip

Don't think hearing different versions in the one night would bother me that much, so long as they were as different as say John Bishop Trio and Little Sonny's take on WITW.

Social source share

ginger played a great set in the rare room....and it wasnt funky edged or rnb..was northern and im sure would have still gone down well in the main room..shame

I've never doubted that most of these type of D.J's do have 'other' records, so why don't they 'splice' them in the main rooms? - The 'returnees' have now 'returned' for ten years, so I recon they would welcome fresh tunes - It's probably a matter of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and if there are a few repeats, so what?...

.....I am begining to wonder though, if 'on the whole' people are getting fed up with it.......then I go somewhere and get reminded - actually no, they're happy :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Theres your problem Richo , same people going to the same venues to listen to the same records spun by the same DJ's

try to get to different places but w/end working can make it difficult , My moan is still the same why don't djs put down what they have played ,especially when a guest dj is following them on, and may not have been there alnight.

Social source share

I went to my first weekender last November - big mistake!! I left early - bout 6.30 on the Sunday after I'd heard Lorraine Chandler for the 6th time since Friday nite - don't mind the track but I wish these DJ's would show some imagination!!!

This could have been written by me,how some can do these and not get sickened beats me......sadly shed loads of tunes that should fill floors go unplayed !

One well known promoter when asked by a mate of mine about this gave the answer that there are lots of new attendees at the weekenders etc he runs and they only know a limited amount of tunes and so want to hear these often...........when asked what about those who also paid to get in and wanted to hear more than a limited number of tunes or constant repeats ,well he hadn't an answer for that,i have to admit now to staying away,one i travelled over 300 miles round trip to often for a nighter i haven't been in a few years for this reason.

Social source share

well i had an absolute BLAST at Prestatyn..

was lucky enough to dj the last hour (+10 minutes) on the friday all niter in the main room....

and then again on the sunday 5-6am...in the main room.

my first spot was probably my best allniter spot ive ever done,,,mixed a few of my rare oldies in with classics and requests..

the sunday was just heaven 19 for me ..went on at 5am and the floor was packed throughout til 6am 

when i wasnt djing was dancing all friday and saturday night

loved it loved it loved it

vibrations were awesome too...

cant comment on previous weekenders but the vibe throughout was brilliant

atb

mark  :thumbsup:

Social source share

There was an old thread (that i can't find now about dj's) in which i stated that often when you were hearing the same record played a couple of times a night it was due to dj's that knew that they were on a late spot so didn't turn up early to hear what had already been played. If i am doing a spot (no matter what time it is at) i always arrive at opening time to hear what is being played and judge the floors re-action to the records that are being played.

Unless you are talking about the same dj playing the same record more than once in a night which i have heard before?.

yes I think that is part of the problem some Djs turn up just before the spot haven't got a clue whats been played ,but as the paying public it can be annoying as someone eles pointed out if its a new tune your hearing . but one track was wade in the water!! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This could have been written by me,how some can do these and not get sickened beats me......sadly shed loads of tunes that should fill floors go unplayed !

One well known promoter when asked by a mate of mine about this gave the answer that there are lots of new attendees at the weekenders etc he runs and they only know a limited amount of tunes and so want to hear these often...........when asked what about those who also paid to get in and wanted to hear more than a limited number of tunes or constant repeats ,well he hadn't an answer for that,i have to admit now to staying away,one i travelled over 300 miles round trip to often for a nighter i haven't been in a few years for this reason.

I quite agree joe in my opinion if they are new punters then educate them there are loads of tracks you never hear anymore. got to say went to eggbrough last month, guy in back room brought his box of records I've not danced so much for ages, played stuff !!!! not heard for an age. 

Social source share

I've never doubted that most of these type of D.J's do have 'other' records, so why don't they 'splice' them in the main rooms? - The 'returnees' have now 'returned' for ten years, so I recon they would welcome fresh tunes - It's probably a matter of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and if there are a few repeats, so what?...

.....I am begining to wonder though, if 'on the whole' people are getting fed up with it.......then I go somewhere and get reminded - actually no, they're happy :D

All the best,

some of the main rooms you get same old same old why o why ???. which brings me on to my other moan I'd much rather hear different  stuff played even if its on c/d than listen to the same stuff over and over

Social source share

I'm not trying to stir anything up , that's what I heard in the main room , just thought to myself WHY ? With a ballroom rammed with people records like THE STARTONES billie fran , MAGNIFICENT 7 eastern , JOHNNY DYNAMITE minaret etc ...... Never get played there's loads of em' OLDIES in my head .

Love Carl .

I agree mate time some Djs sorted there acts or pack in

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I bet there's gonna be a lot of repeats @ Prestatyn this weekend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:  :lol: lol  :dash2:

It wasn't tooo bad, i only heard Duke Browner 6 times on Sat :sleep3: , & i spent most of my time in the queen vic or the redemption room :elvis:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Happened a lot at Prestatyn to be honest.  Rita and The Tiaras or Gloria Jones, just to be different, was played an inordinate amount. Flavour of the Weekend was Albert Washington - heard that on many more than one occasion. 

One well know DJ,  of some repute, was on Saturday and Sunday in the Main Room and started both his sets with the same 3 or 4 records, Criminal !! 

Its almost like they move around, see what people are Dancing to then play them themselves at their next venue etc etc and so the ball rolls ..

we came to the conclusion that there was just one record box in the main room & all the djs had to pick from it  :lol: ( in the day time of course ) :yes:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Was back in the UK for a week or so recently and made a decision to avoid  the usual nights - went to Different Strokes and Empty Bottles instead. I hadn't heard 80% of the tunes before or most of the DJs playing them. But what a couple of nights!!! Great music, great atmosphere and not a single repeat across both nights.

The truth is out there :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was back in the UK for a week or so recently and made a decision to avoid  the usual nights - went to Different Strokes and Empty Bottles instead. I hadn't heard 80% of the tunes before or most of the DJs playing them. But what a couple of nights!!! Great music, great atmosphere and not a single repeat across both nights.

The truth is out there :thumbsup:

It is, for those that REALLY want it.

Bradford,

Burscough

and

er..

45 Revolutions-Rochdale  :rofl:

To name but 3.

Social source share

some of the main rooms you get same old same old why o why ???. which brings me on to my other moan I'd much rather hear different  stuff played even if its on c/d than listen to the same stuff over and over

Because people don't like change, it unnerves them - Others (as I've said before) attack anything they don't understand, so it would be difficult to change dramatically.

Pick and choose events that suit you - Try 'Len's Den' at Rushden Bowls Club on April 13th - Oooooops, sorry Mike, it just slipped out!  :wink: :D  :elvis:  

All the best,

Len (of 'The Den') :D  :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Stopped going to that Friday venue main room plays wedding music & pop Younghearts etc

Back room resident DJ's move between rooms usually so don't hear whats played before & don't tend to have large boxes or big mix's to play from.

Good Sunday's they've not been spoilt yet.

Was at willington last night played some tremendous music good night.

don't go on a regular basis couldn't get out on the saturday have to pick some where to go! didn't spend anytime in main r'm :sleep3:

Social source share

As said before DJ's who are not interested in the whole night are not worth a light.

They think because they have a few big tunes that's enough,anyone rich enough can just buy big floorfillers..what the fun in that?

DJ's who just pick up on other DJs tunes are all to common aswell, no bottle.

There's thousand of great tunes out there without emptying the floor.

We all want to see the floor rammed but we have to take a chance and back our judgement.

Even if it is a themed club spot ie Torch, Wheel etc surely any DJ worth is salt should try and mix in  underplayed stuff from that venue.

I understand a lot of punters just want to hear the same stuff every month that's no different to the early days but a good DJ can mix other stuff in.

Mind you if a DJs got no taste there's a problem,maybe that's why the just follow.

I was doing an afternoon spot playing some really obscure unknown stuff and one of the other Dj's came over with his camera phone and started taking pictures of what I had on the decks. Nice!! The best one for repeats was this other DJ who played only CD's and they were all his own download home burn kind of things. He had forgotten to bring his glasses and the track listings were hand written on scraps of paper, it was a Motown session and he played IT TAKES TWO 3 times in an hour and the same people got up and danced to it every time!!!!!

Social source share

Guest micksoul

I think its ok if a dj is trying to break a new record , Keb was one for playing the same tune twice at the 100 club with their format of split sets suiting this , can remember hearing Jessie Davis 'Hang on in there girl' 3 times in 87 , Keb twice and George Sharpe inbetween !

Social source share

I think its ok if a dj is trying to break a new record , Keb was one for playing the same tune twice at the 100 club with their format of split sets suiting this , can remember hearing Jessie Davis 'Hang on in there girl' 3 times in 87 , Keb twice and George Sharpe inbetween !

I could live with that, it's always been that way with new spins, especially in the days when you HAD to travel to hear the darn thing, but it's the repetition of classics in the same night that gets my goat, as has been said there are literally thousands of tunes to go for, so if you're doing a guest spot and someone's played your cherished big ticket tune, leave it, dig a little deeper. I promise we won't think any less of you!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Didn't happen like that at Wigan or Blackpool or Sheffield or Petebrough so why should it now .

I remember at Wigan 73/74 that a new tunes would be played 3 or 4 times in a set to break them, never mind a night but there wasn't the number of tunes around then to choose from. Today however a lot of Dj's turn up 10 minutes before their spot, so have no idea what's been played earlier, take a leaf out of Sean Chapman's book, get there at the beginning of the session & note down those played that you might have played. I remember being at a venue & scanning the 30 or so records a Dj's had ready to choose from to play & informing him that all but 3 or so had been played earlier & yes he had arrived 10 minutes prior to his spot.  :shhh: :hatsoff2:

Spot. :shades:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The top and bottom of this is that too many "DJ"s are scared stiff of clearing the floor even for one or two records.

After all its a cardinal sin to do so and if the floor's not packed from the first record till the last its a crap night :ohmy::huh:

...Mmmmmm, it seems 'Be careful what you wish for' has finally come to pass doesn't it?...... :yes:

....."We want, we want, we want"......"Ok, have it your way"........"Don't want it now".........."Sorry too late, we now prefer the small rooms, and they're full"..... :)

Len (Of 'The Den')  :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

The top and bottom of this is that too many "DJ"s are scared stiff of clearing the floor even for one or two records.

After all its a cardinal sin to do so and if the floor's not packed from the first record till the last its a crap night :ohmy::huh:

Totally agree.................I personally just always think maybe one or two might have the bollocks to take a chance sometimes..............doesn't have to be ultra rare, just something a teensy weensy bit underplayed.  :glare:

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

The biggest change in the scene in recent years is the demographic of those attending, most typical local soul type nights are now little more than disco's for 50 somethings with the people attending doing so because it's a late drink and night out with their mates rather than any desire they may have to broaden their taste in rare soul music.

Lets be honest, you could put on a '20 Great Northern Soul Party Hits' CD every hour and as long as it's got Ruby Andrews for Mr's Handbag and the MVP's for Mr Handbag to dance to (after a suitable intake of Stella) then everyone goes home happy (and pi55ed).

Once again it comes back to the usual case of too many DJ's with no where to play out their expensively put together ebay collections, meaning they set up their own venues which is all well and good except the only way to get numbers through the door is to play to the above 'Social Night' types meaning lots of repeats and VERY little scope for varying their playlist.

I couldn't agree more

Social source share

All the best,

I tried modern and although there are some good tunes,most just don't do it for me 

Social source share

what really bugs me  about repeated tunes a venues is apart from not listening to what'sbeen played . lack of imagination and the dinosaur factor is that some of these d.j's turn up with enough records to do a whole weeks worth of soul music ???????? come on guy's if your carrying that many tunes play something different . why carry all those tunes if your gonna play whats already been played :thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I tried modern and although there are some good tunes,most just don't do it for me 

Nothing wrong in that mate. You tried it - You listened, and you can honestly say you gave that particular style a chance. Also, you stated ''don't do it for me" - Others just say "It's sh*t" when describing something they don't like (and usually haven't really listened and given it a chance) I know people who have admitted this, and added that they have missed out.

Good on ya.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Once again it comes back to the usual case of too many DJ's with no where to play out their expensively put together ebay collections, meaning they set up their own venues

:yes: ....not well and good though......Playing the records they 'Just got, 20 years ago' :glare:

All the best,

Social source share

Guest Phantom janitor

Part of the reason im` not fussed about going anymore, when we were kids we travelled that far mainly because we could`nt get hold of the Sounds

only one place to hear `em, at the nighter........ The last Soul Nite i went to could be the  DJ playing the same sounds from 25 years ago

Theres plenty of Decent  music that ive still not heard 60s ,70s, even newly released stuff

Social source share

The biggest change in the scene in recent years is the demographic of those attending, most typical local soul type nights are now little more than disco's for 50 somethings with the people attending doing so because it's a late drink and night out with their mates rather than any desire they may have to broaden their taste in rare soul music.

Lets be honest, you could put on a '20 Great Northern Soul Party Hits' CD every hour and as long as it's got Ruby Andrews for Mr's Handbag and the MVP's for Mr Handbag to dance to (after a suitable intake of Stella) then everyone goes home happy (and pi55ed).

Once again it comes back to the usual case of too many DJ's with no where to play out their expensively put together ebay collections, meaning they set up their own venues which is all well and good except the only way to get numbers through the door is to play to the above 'Social Night' types meaning lots of repeats and VERY little scope for varying their playlist.

Absolutely spot on with this - we have a "Soul Club" here in Jersey that organises events on a regular basis but it might as well be called a "social club" because once you stray from the Northern top 50 the dance floor empties.

Social source share

Can anybody remember when the main after the event question was "Did you hear anything new?".

Now it seems to be

"Where can I get a curry-what were the beds like in the hotel"  etc etc.... :wicked: 

That was when we were young and hungry... 

Now we're just old, hungry and knackered.  :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!