Subway Riders - Will The Real B Side Please Stand Up

Subway Riders - Adam/After the session - Moon Shot

I always thought B side ' After the session' was an instrumental of 'Moonlight, Music And You', which some of the 45's indeed do play. But the other day I sold one and the customer sent it back saying it was a mis-press that plays something else other than M M & Y and this was not the first time he had bought one of these.

So when I got it back I listened to the other track on the pressing.and listening to the crazy vocal/chat, they seem to be talking about the end of the session etc, ie 'After the session'.

So does this mean that the 'Moonlight, music & you' instrumental is infact the mis-pressing ??????

Anyone know the story.......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Subway Riders - Adam/After the session - Moon Shot

I always thought B side ' After the session' was an instrumental of 'Moonlight, Music And You', which some of the 45's indeed do play. But the other day I sold one and the customer sent it back saying it was a mis-press that plays something else other than M M & Y and this was not the first time he had bought one of these.

So when I got it back I listened to the other track on the pressing.and listening to the crazy vocal/chat, they seem to be talking about the end of the session etc, ie 'After the session'.

So does this mean that the 'Moonlight, music & you' instrumental is infact the mis-pressing ??????

Anyone know the story.......

Dave, I think it was Pete Smith? did a thread on this a year or two ago.

Both copies I have had bitd did have the inst.on, but If I remember right in the thread it did come up with the inst, being the mis-press.

Social source share

Most copies actually have the backing track to Only Your Love Can Save Me with studio producers talking over it.

In fact I chucked one of these away yesterday.  Unsellable. Especially in the G+ nick this one was in.

MM & Y must be five times harder but as to whether it's a mispress - doubt it, they probably just changed their minds or where told to pull it.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Most copies actually have the backing track to Only Your Love Can Save Me with studio producers talking over it.

In fact I chucked one of these away yesterday.  Unsellable. Especially in the G+ nick this one was in.

MM & Y must be five times harder but as to whether it's a mispress - doubt it, they probably just changed their minds or where told to pull it.

Thanks Pete

But having listened to the other track, I do think the instrumental MM&Y is a mis-press. On the other B side,  the whole chat is about how good the session was, thanking each other for their work, etc, etc so people chating after a session.

The idea that they would just change the pressing half way through doesn't stack up. If, as seems to be the case, a 45 that wasn't selling anyway, it would hardly sell any better by changing the B side and then why not change the label details. Plus then there would be the cost of new mastering and pressing plates, which they wouldn't do on a none hit, un-less there was a pressing fault.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Always wondered about this. I had one of the first "After The Sessions" but then several people got duped with the mis-press so I always wondered how that happened. The same song and backing track had been sold to 6 different companies so maybe the Moonshot release was a step too far and they may have withdrawn it quickly?

I did ask Teddy Vann about this around 10 years ago and he just chuckled but never answered the question unfortunately....

Ian D

Social source share

I think the issues are the talking track after a session, and the demos are the Moonlight Music inst.

I always thought that all copies without the address played the wrong song, and the only way to get the correct song was to get the copies that are labelled New York at the bottom.

However, I am not sure this is right as I found an Issue copy on ebay a while back, WITHOUT the New York address, playing Moonlight Music (The scan only showed the A side "Adam" without the address, it is possible the B side had an address though. As I didn't buy it, I can't be sure)

Any Demos that I have seen has always been Moonlight Music, with the New York address.

Cheers
Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!