Your First Exposure To The Modern Soul Sound

Guest Nick Harrison

sorry m8 but to me the 2nd mix is abismal and eptomises a lot of what I dislike about contemporary soulful dance. its trying so desparatly to sound contemporary  and yet it still sound like its stuck in the late 9ts.  

No need to be sorry for giving your opinion. Am actually quite pleased that you listened to it to be honest.

Actually own & love both versions & was posting it as an alternative for Matt & have done similar in the past with other Sunburst Band/Joey Negro songs.

Guess the 90's retro sound you mention is down to the Frankie Knuckles imput on it & also Joey Negro's love of the 80's & 90's Disco sound.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

so was i but i`m just tryin to draw a little line........i see what some are sayin..30/40 years ago is not modern

Very good point Dave r/e drawing the line but just where do you draw it?

My old rule of thumb guide used to be up to 20 years ago, Modern & older than that Oldie (hate ie ending words) but as time's gone on a lot of stuff has crossed that line & I don't want that.

Strange world of Modern Soul :D

Social source share

Just to play devils advocate and be a little contrary there are other media which are described as "modern" in a very similar way despite some posters views. Hows about this

Modern Art - Modern art refers to artistic works produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s to the 1970s, and denotes the style and...

So what we got to say about this then? :wicked:

Peter

:D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Its a shame you've zero appreciation of some of the greatest music ever recorded, i actually pity you for such a blinkered outlook, it must be awful, really awful to be denied the capability gene that allows the more open minded to enjoy everything that is great and indeed wonderful in the years that followed the 1960's..Yep pity !!!

its a shame people like you really take yourself seriously , did you not see the smiley , we have crossed swords before Bret and will have to agree to dis-agree I am 57 yrs old been into soul music since I was fourteeen and I know what I like,  including a lot of music into the 70s and beyond , I am deffo not blinkered thank you,, am just discerning and can smell and hear crap from a distance , I first said it on here a long time ago, to me its ,the emporers  new clothes .,

and I was responding to something someone posted earlier which to me was condescending,

Only time I enjoyed Stoke, couldn't stand that drivel they play downstairs

Edited by barney
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

No need to be sorry for giving your opinion. Am actually quite pleased that you listened to it to be honest.

Actually own & love both versions & was posting it as an alternative for Matt & have done similar in the past with other Sunburst Band/Joey Negro songs.

Guess the 90's retro sound you mention is down to the Frankie Knuckles imput on it & also Joey Negro's love of the 80's & 90's Disco sound.

What I forgot to say Cunnie is the other mix is great. Used to love Dave Lee's stuff and Frankie's up to around 96/7 untill it got too fast and pumped up, just think it sounds really dated nowadays, the slower stuff form the late 8ts through till around 93 on the other hand I cant get enough of.   

Social source share

Would be interested to see what some of you make of a track we produced back in the late 90's with Phillip Ramirez...We did a 7 inch mix too which cuts straight to the vocal !!! for the purists of course !!!

love the Vocal and the song's grt but again those filters and breakdowns, urrgh! I wanna pitch it down about 5bpm too. 

Social source share

Just to play devils advocate and be a little contrary there are other media which are described as "modern" in a very similar way despite some posters views. Hows about this

Modern Art - Modern art refers to artistic works produced during the period extending roughly from the 1860s to the 1970s, and denotes the style and...

Peter

Made the point on here before myself, we live in a post modern age! Modernity is a concept that we've been sold for so long we think its real, read your history book peeps. 

Social source share

it hurt my ears and still does :yes:

Aye up barney how ya doing? are you going Scarboro?

The original poster asked and I quote "What was your gateway or early introduction to the infectious modern soul vibe"

I gave an answer as to when my gateway was and how I appreciated that introduction, especially as I regard (my opinion) what gets played in the main room at stoke as drivel.

It's your answer that is condescending, especially as you make no attempt to answer the poster's question, your just making a cheap dig

Anyway just abit of banter, hope to see you at Scarboro, ain't seen you for a while :thumbsup:

Social source share

Aye up barney how ya doing? are you going Scarboro?

The original poster asked and I quote "What was your gateway or early introduction to the infectious modern soul vibe"

I gave an answer as to when my gateway was and how I appreciated that introduction, especially as I regard (my opinion) what gets played in the main room at stoke as drivel.

It's your answer that is condescending, especially as you make no attempt to answer the poster's question, your just making a cheap dig

Anyway just abit of banter, hope to see you at Scarboro, ain't seen you for a while :thumbsup:

am fine n dandy mate , yes will be in Scarborough over the easter w/end with my trusty Lambretta and will be at the spa weekender later on in the year as well as the brid w/ender in june methinks .

my answer was in responce to your drivel comment and its a pity you feel that way because if it werent for the drivel there would be no scene as we know it .

anyway enough of this banter ,

KTF and all that bollox ,, see ya in scabby :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Would be interested to see what some of you make of a track we produced back in the late 90's with Phillip Ramirez...We did a 7 inch mix too which cuts straight to the vocal !!! for the purists of course !!!

Not bad at 2.00 onwards, but it's the repetitive beat that I can't get on with.

Peter

If were talking modernism, in literature and science as well as art, that whole movement began at the end of the 19th century and early 20th. So pretty much anything produced in the last 100 years is modernist.

Yes even 60s soul... :ohmy:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

If were talking modernism, in literature and science as well as art, that whole movement began at the end of the 19th century and early 20th. So pretty much anything produced in the last 100 years is modernist.

Yes even 60s soul... :ohmy:

Thank fcuk - we've nailed it Matt - it's all modern. Old Smiffy will be peeing his pants! :lol:

Peter

Social source share

am fine n dandy mate , yes will be in Scarborough over the easter w/end with my trusty Lambretta and will be at the spa weekender later on in the year as well as the brid w/ender in june methinks .

my answer was in responce to your drivel comment and its a pity you feel that way because if it werent for the drivel there would be no scene as we know it .

anyway enough of this banter ,

KTF and all that bollox ,, see ya in scabby :hatsoff2:

Look forward to seeing you mate :thumbsup:

Gone off modern soul now anyway, prefer early 6ts British RnB,

Always was one to go the other bloody way to everyone else :D

Keep ya lamby upright and straight, see ya soon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Mike72

Before I got into the "scene" I was buying albums by the likes of the Stylistics - probably aged about 13 or 14. Then got into the scene at 15 - and really struggled to get my head round some of the stuff which was "big" - although as young new kid on the block you kept yer gob shut. I knew then that I liked mid tempo soul music.

Someone has already said that they liked some of the stuff Sam was playing - and I did too. Went to Wigan in 80/81 and was absolutely blown away by Richard Searling - and others, Sam and Gary R. It was a long time ago, but things like Daybreak, Alfie Davison, Mind and Matter etc - equally championed by Sam and others too changed my whole outlook. Loved those sets - never been bettered in my view and it went from there. Other people over the years such as Poke, Pat, Arthur, Dave Thorley, Sean Hampsey etc have all played a part.

Niter wise Wigan, Clifton Hall, Cleethorpes, Bradford etc. These days my favourite stuff is mid tempo seventies - doesn't have to be danceable as long as it's soul. I still appreciate 60's soul music and newer stuff too. Will have a think about some of my favourite and most memorable records.

Could be a good thread this!

Peter

:thumbsup:

Peter, how right your instincts were  :rofl: what a splendid thread! My thanks to all of you, some of your tastes in music in here are right out of the very top drawer.

I know next to nothing about modern soul, other than I really like it... what a brilliant way in to it you've all come up with though.  :thumbup:         

Social source share

Peter, how right your instincts were  :rofl: what a splendid thread! My thanks to all of you, some of your tastes in music in here are right out of the very top drawer.

I know next to nothing about modern soul, other than I really like it... what a brilliant way in to it you've all come up with though.  :thumbup:         

Top man Mike.

You know all you need to know - you know what you like, and you really like modern soul! Reminds of that saying which MUST be said in a Yorkshire acccent "I like what I say and I say what I bloody well like"! You'll find some great music on here Mike - we're all hearing new stuff everyday.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

heres my piss poor take on it....i term the 70`s 80`s clifton hall type stuff as 70`s northern these days and anything from 1990 onward as `modern soul`........i love 70`s northern and quite a bit of modern,,,,,,not too fussed over housey garage tho and believe ,me i`ve tried

that's more or less my take on it dave but just to add i used to get some nice stuff of Mike Ward at the pheonix no house or garage but real soul barely a year old lost touch with him after fleetwood weekenders finished but he was bang up to date with out the house/garage tag,if he still getting the same kind of stuff as back then count me in!

great thread this nick by the way

• Helpful 1
Social source share

that's more or less my take on it dave but just to add i used to get some nice stuff of Mike Ward at the pheonix no house or garage but real soul barely a year old lost touch with him after fleetwood weekenders finished but he was bang up to date with out the house/garage tag,if he still getting the same kind of stuff as back then count me in!

great thread this nick by the way

He's still around is Mike, funnily enough he sent me a couple of CDs this week, one of them being a Jamie/Guyden CD containing 45 releases from the 60s!!  Also accompanied by a quality new two track CD by a USA indie artist called Angelo Remon, very nice indeed.  He still has the ear, no question.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cluggy

Sorry new to this, pressing wrong keys.

Got into modern latter days at Wigan,looking through some old photos at weekend from upstairs at Birmingham Locarno,Sam n arthur behind the decks ,there's about fifteen of us forming a human pyramid ,incredable music and unforgable memories.also todmorden sheffield rebels,Clifton halls and the snaith alldayers ,all these venues at the forefront of the modern scene back in the day,happy days

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Sorry new to this, pressing wrong keys.

Got into modern latter days at Wigan,looking through some old photos at weekend from upstairs at Birmingham Locarno,Sam n arthur behind the decks ,there's about fifteen of us forming a human pyramid ,incredable music and unforgable memories.also todmorden sheffield rebels,Clifton halls and the snaith alldayers ,all these venues at the forefront of the modern scene back in the day,happy days

Yes indeed Cluggy - then came the "2 room divide", which promoters were some how forced into providing as tastes dictated throughout the early and mid eighties. Does evidence provide this policy was harmful or progressive still today - one wonders ?  

And thanks to Ifcjunkie - (Dave Longbottom) for reminding us - no one has mentioned The Canal Tavern in Thorne.  :P

:)     

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Subsequently followed by the three room divide - northern, 70s/crossover, modern - now that I didn't like and things got quite diviisive with factions all going their own way. I was quite happy with the two room divide. Best of both worlds.

Social source share

I must say that I love Bobby Thurston Just ask me or Will Collins Anything I can do as much as say Mel Britt,Yvonne Baker etc. RS used to introduce real quality into his playlist from all genres/years in the latter days of WC. I STILL get a buzz when I go somewhere and hear something I dont know. I am not really keen on the RnB stuff nor some crossover. Crossover seems to fit into a tag where it aint new/mordern or good 60,s. I have just been given a CD from USA made late last year with various covers plus one or two new things. Outstanding in my view.  

On thread I feel that anything goes if it is good enough. BUT like Pete Smith we all have our favourites.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Growing up around Gloucester/Stroud/Yate. Northern Soul nights chucked everything in together. So for a long while I didnt make a distinction between say Adams Apples - Dont Take It Out On This World  and Marva Hicks - Looking Over My Shoulder.

To me they were just 'Norvern'. I loved them both equally, and so too, it seemed, did the dance floor.

I'd guess that the first places I went to where there were differences. Once went to an alldayer in Reading, and a fight broke out between Jazz Funk guys and the Northern Soul crowd in the doorway. I couldnt understand why soul fans would fight soul fans.

Also went to a do at the Locarno in Brum, must have been 1980? Again a kinda Northern Soul and a Jazz funk split, but more along the lines of a Mod v funk split. Again there was fighting outside. I broke a guys windscreen with my crash helmet cos he buzzed a load of mods in his VW Beetle. So I threw my helmet. It smashed his screen but he drove off...thankfully :( . I had to get a new helmet mind cos it was in a right state when I recovered it.

First place i can remember sticking around for the modern set, was Leicester. Robin used to play so many songs I loved. About the only times i would miss his set, would be if they had Keb say DJing downstairs as a guest, at the same time.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Cant edit my post. Anyone else at that alldayer in Brum. A few 100 mods and scooterists crashed in a sports hall just outside of Brum, possibly on the way to Worcester?? Police woke everyone up about 5am cos 2 Bristol lads had beat up a guy outside who had a fake gun, and had threatened to shoot them.

Social source share

Guest Cluggy

Subsequently followed by the three room divide - northern, 70s/crossover, modern - now that I didn't like and things got quite diviisive with factions all going their own way. I was quite happy with the two room divide. Best of both worlds.

Social source share

Cant edit my post. Anyone else at that alldayer in Brum. A few 100 mods and scooterists crashed in a sports hall just outside of Brum, possibly on the way to Worcester?? Police woke everyone up about 5am cos 2 Bristol lads had beat up a guy outside who had a fake gun, and had threatened to shoot them.

Sorry Mike this a thread about modern soul not punch ups in Brum which could command a 25 page topic in its own right in the freebasing section. :D

Social source share

I'm just starting get into 70's soul, love things like Magic Night, The Street People etc etc

Whats a good CD to buy to listen to on my way to and from work?

Cheers

Jordan a good easy  way to start is to get the Goldmine CDs --SOULFUL KINDA 70s, The Cleethorpes Story,The Blackpool Mecca Story. These three cds will give you most of the big sounds that back in the day we simply called NEWIES

Social source share

Guest Cluggy

Reply to nicks post (northern modern divide)

As you said nick about the introduction of two room venues,I feel this was the only way forward back then,there just weren't enough people into this new music for it to stand on its own.to hire a venue sound system and DJs to pay it probably wouldn't have survived.so to have a small room in a two room venue was the only way,also the DJs that wanted to play this modern sound ie Sam arthur and Richard could play whatever they wanted without fear of abuse which iis what they got when they played anything post1969.if a one room venue had continued I feel modern would have died as most people just wanted the 60s sound and just wouldn't of allowed much modern to be played.

It's a system that's worked perfectly for over 35 years,when you look back to then and now when some of venues we used to go with sometimes a handfull of people to places like Prestatyn and the Hilton ,absolutely huge yet packed out with people into this fantastic music we call Modern soul .

So my view is a two room venue was 100 percent progressive to the modern scene and maybe helped the northern scene too.

Social source share

Guest Tom Mitchell

What a load of wind bags - the real question is do you like it - I sit here at home and mix up the likes of Ray Pollard - This time with, the sweet soul of the Penetrations Sweet Sweet Baby - followed by the funky reggae of Toots and the Maytals - Funky Kingston, add some Latin with At the Party,  throw in a bit of Juggy Jones Inside America add a little bit of Ty Karim - Lighten Up - add a bit of the Dapps and There was a Time, add Murice Jackson True Love is you, throw in Matt Lukas and You Better Go Go, add a bit more of Eddie Garrigan - I Wish I was - slow it down with Bessie Banks The Best is Yet to Come - and give it a stir with the Pusherman JJ Callier followed by the ever soulful Jan Jones - Independent Woman have a stomp to Ronnie Forte - either side - toss in the International GTO's - and then have the Pointer Sisters show the way with Send Him Back. Searling, Sam and my old mate Clarkie always mixed a set - its all soul and I love it all.

Social source share

I can take or leave modern personally.

I like some of the Stafford stuff, Soul Bros Inc for example.

But for me, early 80's mainstream club music, the stuff coming out of speakers in every good jazz/funk club in the land beats what we term 'modern' today, hands down anyway, Sharon Redd, Beat The Street, Patrice Russian Haven't You Heard, Fatback Band etc etc.

Now this ain't modern soul, its just soul end of, and nothing elitist about it too, its all mainstream stuff.

A golden age for the vinyl 12", post disco.

Aid.

Edit: Change, Searching, D Train, Your'e the one for me, Shalamar There It Is, Sharon Brown, Specialise In Love, Eveyln Champayne King, Love Come Down, tons & tons of it, you know the stuff I'm on about.

Keep remembering more great stuff, New Jersey Connection, Love Don't Come Easy, superb.

Adi.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

What a load of wind bags - the real question is do you like it - I sit here at home and mix up the likes of Ray Pollard - This time with, the sweet soul of the Penetrations Sweet Sweet Baby - followed by the funky reggae of Toots and the Maytals - Funky Kingston, add some Latin with At the Party,  throw in a bit of Juggy Jones Inside America add a little bit of Ty Karim - Lighten Up - add a bit of the Dapps and There was a Time, add Murice Jackson True Love is you, throw in Matt Lukas and You Better Go Go, add a bit more of Eddie Garrigan - I Wish I was - slow it down with Bessie Banks The Best is Yet to Come - and give it a stir with the Pusherman JJ Callier followed by the ever soulful Jan Jones - Independent Woman have a stomp to Ronnie Forte - either side - toss in the International GTO's - and then have the Pointer Sisters show the way with Send Him Back. Searling, Sam and my old mate Clarkie always mixed a set - its all soul and I love it all.

Tom - your acceptance and musical intergration is very much welcomed including a liking for for the older sounding modern soul sound.  So was Ian, Richard and Sam your first exposure to modern soul, as the topic heading requests.  Where was this and at what venues ?

Thanks.

:wink:

Social source share

• 11 months later...

The good folks and the poor folks may not identify with it's sound, many deny it's related and others journeyed onwards through it's exposure via northern soul.

Others already own it's acceptance - still today, having cherished it at root level.

Whatever - what was your gateway or early introduction into the infectious modern soul vibe.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Larry Houston Let's Spend Some Time Together, Spinners I'll be Around and J.J. Barnes How Long...heard both in the Casino but did prefer Oldies at the time..i was only young..then after Casino closed Wigan Tiffs started and more Modern Newies started to creep in...but I really learnt about Modern Soul @ Morecambe Central Pier, Stafford TOTW and many other excellent Niters around the North West n Yorkshire in the 80s.

Social source share

I don't understand the question, so here's my attempt at an answer:

Do I love 70s and early 80s northern soul like Charles Johnson, Jeffrey Osbourne, Atlantic Starr, Jan Jones, Willpower, Alfie Davison, The Montclairs, etc... - YES

Do I like modern soul - NO

If we're forced to differentiate rather than just call it soul Matt, jeffrey Osbourne and Atlantic Starr are in no way Northern Soul!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

As a youngster listening to Soul Sam playing Dee Edwards Loving You Is All I want To Do to empty dance floors at EASC nighters in the late 70s....I thought to myself what's going on here then? Sold off any 60s I had and planted my flag firmly in the Modern camp....

Regards

Ric

Dee Edwards too was the first that springs to mind for me at Notts Palais along with Pages. Although I remember them packing the floor at Nottingham with a thunderous sound of feet as everyone stomped to the drum breakdown bit on Loving You.

To us it was all known as Northern Soul, just with different flavours in this case we called it 70s or newies.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Eloise Laws Love Factory followed by Fantastic Johnny C Don't Depend on Me played at the Casino '75 I think, I was a big Invictus/Hot Wax, (never heard of Music Merchant) before getting into Northern Soul, The realisation that something from those camps could be played out at an allnighter made me love the scene even more.

Social source share

To answer the question, modern always was a feature of the northern scene throughout the 70s. After the demis of the Mecca / Cleethorpes, Ronnie Love, Eddie Holman, Silvetti, 7th Wonder, Lovelites, Flaming Emeralds etc. Indeed Lou Pride 6 years old when it was first played as were many northern 60s records. That's the equivelent of playing a 2008 record now.

But the first real main "tranche" of modern after the Mecca demise, came in with a vengance in 79, when John Anderson sold Richard Searling a number of sounds that went on in time to become classic oldies: Roy Dawson, Pages, Court Davis, Sammy Gaha, ZZ& Co, Ike Strong, Alfie Davison, Bobby Thurston etc. The feeling at the time was that the 60s newies had all but dried up and some new music was needed (whether you agree or don't agree - that is what happened). Suddenly DJ sets of people like Richard, Poke, Jonathan, Pat Brady etc. were full of these new discoveries mostly covered up of course. Soul Sam and others were also in there, he traded "Cheating kind" for Richard's Larry Houston!

It seemed to happen almost overnight.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

So you don't like modern then?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But for me, early 80's mainstream club music, the stuff coming out of speakers in every good jazz/funk club in the land beats what we term 'modern' today, hands down anyway, Sharon Redd, Beat The Street, Patrice Russian Haven't You Heard, Fatback Band etc etc.

Now this ain't modern soul, its just soul end of, and nothing elitist about it too, its all mainstream stuff.

A golden age for the vinyl 12", post disco.

Adi.

I would say most of that was being played by guys like Adam/Robin S (the DJ not the singer) and especially the generation after them, it was all modern, by definition and by era, the fact it was easily accessible, 10p for demos on UK copies in local shops, or 50p for the 12" or LP's made it even more appealing. I bought it without question. And I would say it was disco growing up, rather than post disco.

By the late 80's, when I was spending more time than was healthy at pure Northern events, and it was becoming much more segregated musically , there was the usual lot of band leaders playing modern versions of this stuff and slowly moving into House, the so called soulfull end, Robin S, Barry May, Pete Shirley, Gary Welsh, Fish etc etc merging the Northern Modern world with New Black music world, and we soon followed when the segregation got too much, and the quality at all nighters got worse, not least with the introduction of the John Wayne fan club with percussion supplied by Banner. And it moved on faster when Southport started, which actually along with places like Parker's and London burgeoning scene changed the face of the Modern direction for me, and more so a couple of Southports later as softish house (it didn’t seem that then) was produced (to much booing and throwing of beer mats at the 3 or 4 of us dancing, despite what the revisionists say). And it then changed for ever.

So I think its easy to ignore people who just stuck with new music, call it what you will, at times it was tiny, I was an irregular visitor during 80's in all honesty being an allnighter man,but popped my head in on lots of occasions, so the above is my view with huge gaps that would/could be filled and corrected by some on here. I believe there is a cracking book that just needs finished by someone who was there from the start, all through the journey and still is there. In my opinion it will be the second biggest crime of the century if that story isn't told.

And as for my first experience, 1980 Wigan Casino, when it was just Northern, and it started me buying new music from then on, and I still do, fairly frequently, but not often enough, and its definitely not Northern now. And its not DJ Genesis.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!