Are You Addicted To Soul?

Guest uniglam

Guest uniglam

Hi!

I am a psychologist at the University of Glamorgan and I am conducting some research on music fans. I am particularly interested in the way fans of different kinds of music perceive each other. If you have 5 minutes spare and would like to take part please click on the link below and fill in the short questionnaire (you just have to click some words!).

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3W9TXQJ

If clicking on it doesn't work then please cut and paste in into the search bar.

Thank you very much!

Social source share

Hi!

I am a psychologist 

Well you don't need to be brain of Britain to know that this is a soul site. Things like 'Soul Source' and 'All About The Soul' are clues for the unsure.

Your survey does not mention soul, let alone rare, or Northern Soul. Pointless! 

How could I possibly know if a Rock fan is playful or not? I could tell you about rare soul fans, they're tough & ruthless! Wait no, that's rough & toothless..  :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm all for helping out students with their research or dissertations, but the repetition of this survey on here over the past year is more than a little irritating, not to mention pointless.

Although one important question is missing from the survey - "I would tend to regard surveys that have a bias on certain genres of music as......" (followed by 200 possible tick-box answers).

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Hi!

I am a psychologist at the University of Glamorgan and I am conducting some research on music fans. I am particularly interested in the way fans of different kinds of music perceive each other. If you have 5 minutes spare and would like to take part please click on the link below and fill in the short questionnaire (you just have to click some words!).

If clicking on it doesn't work then please cut and paste in into the search bar.

Thank you very much!

all done, But no questions on Soul what so ever.... I'm perplexed, Bored, Obsessive, Neurotic, Devoted, Fanatical, Carless... and so on..

Mal.C :g:

Social source share

Is the point that we are supposed to hold opinions (presumably negative) on fans of other types of music? The truth is surely they are pretty much an irrelevance to most of us, as we would be to them.

If that is the point the questions are irrelevant, especially when you see the vitriol between soul fans on here from time to time...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

I USED TO RIDE AN EXCERCISE BIKE UNTIL I FOUND I WAS'ENT GETTING ANYWHERE.

P.S. DONT TELL THE CONSULTANT WHERE I'M LIVING NOW.

ANNON

Social source share

Ok i'll be first to answer the question.

Yes, but i do take in the many formats ie. Northern oldies, northern, cross-over, modern , r&b, newbies, motown And any other sub-genre that you can think of.

hope that helps. (but probably not).

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Hi!

Thank you very much!

go on tell us all your hypothesis then?

Social source share

Guest Mike72

Hey guys...chill out and remember he's an academic - if we all suspend our judgement, we might learn something about ourselves and our soul problems.

Come on all you people who are claiming to have done this already! We've all drawn flip chart diagrams before..so why don't we all 'brainstorm' and really start to link those different states of mind up with the correct genre of pop music.

I think it's dead correlative and clever

Social source share

Hey guys...chill out and remember he's an academic - if we all suspend our judgement, we might learn something about ourselves and our soul problems.

Come on all you people who are claiming to have done this already! We've all drawn flip chart diagrams before..so why don't we all 'brainstorm' and really start to link those different states of mind up with the correct genre of pop music.

SO WHAT?  As I said, and as a couple of others have already said, it's pointless.  It's also a naive and selective questionnaire, in that only 'carefully' selected genres of music get a mention.  Why should we pander to someone just because they have a PhD?  Does that make them better than us?  Does it give them the right to judge / analyse us?  I personally find his demeanour in the thread heading "are you addicted to soul" and referring to us as "fans" rather condescending, patronising and more than a tad ignorant - a bit like parents criticising the 'pop music' their kids  listen to.

I treat survey requests like this just as I do spam mail and unsolicited phone calls...............with contempt, unless I stand to gain something personally from it at no expense.  This is the fifth survey request from the same person in the space of a year - one of which spammed another thread.  Just one patronising request which addresses us like kids is annoying enough, and a good enough reason for me to refuse to do it.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mike72

Gene, I'm sorry...my idea of a joke. Silly, immature etc. Less funny for them as is fed up t'back teeth of it.

" I am a psychologist at the University of Glamorgan" though...  I laughed out loud! You try saying it with a straight face, hahahaha :elvis::shades:  :rofl: 

Try saying it to someone else in conversation next time they ask you what you do for a living. With a straight face mind....

There's no way on this earth I could remain composed whilst telling such an enornous whopper... y'need Spike Milligan to pull off that sort of stunt.... :D  :D  :D  

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Seems to me to be just another social psychology study on stereotyping or perhaps a personality study on the use of lamguage,as he hasnt said what his hypothesis is ,well who knows .

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

SO WHAT?  As I said, and as a couple of others have already said, it's pointless.  It's also a naive and selective questionnaire, in that only 'carefully' selected genres of music get a mention.  Why should we pander to someone just because they have a PhD?  Does that make them better than us?  Does it give them the right to judge / analyse us?  I personally find his demeanour in the thread heading "are you addicted to soul" and referring to us as "fans" rather condescending, patronising and more than a tad ignorant - a bit like parents criticising the 'pop music' their kids  listen to.

I treat survey requests like this just as I do spam mail and unsolicited phone calls...............with contempt, unless I stand to gain something personally from it at no expense.  This is the fifth survey request from the same person in the space of a year - one of which spammed another thread.  Just one patronising request which addresses us like kids is annoying enough, and a good enough reason for me to refuse to do it.

Gene he could even be a first or second year student doing a degree,an undergraduate ,by what terms does he define himself a "psychologist",perhaps he has to produce his study towards his grades.I have a psychology degree having also had a graduate basis mebership of the british psychological society till i decided I didnt want to pay the fees just for the magazine good as it was as the real benefits of membership come only imo if you are in pracicse and registered eg clincil,occupational,health sports pyschology etc..I dont and nevr have called myself a psychologist.Therefore if he who calls himself a pyschologist is a student doing his degree and needs a bit of help in getting enough people to take part in order to bump up any probability rating the result produces in comparison to if numbers of participants were smaller, great why not give a hand.On the other hand though if he os a prctiscing psychologist or a pysychology lecturer doing some reseaerch it would be nice if he could tell us a little about it,not enough of course to produce to much bias(as this is indeed important),then say in a week or two when he has his numbers comment in again and tell us what it was all about in a bit more detail.As others have noted where is the soul fan catergory in this bit of work?

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Gene, I'm sorry...my idea of a joke. Silly, immature etc. Less funny for them as is fed up t'back teeth of it.

" I am a psychologist at the University of Glamorgan" though...  I laughed out loud! You try saying it with a straight face, hahahaha :elvis::shades:  :rofl:

Try saying it to someone else in conversation next time they ask you what you do for a living. With a straight face mind....

There's no way on this earth I could remain composed whilst telling such an enornous whopper... y'need Spike Milligan to pull off that sort of stunt.... :D  :D  :D  

No worries Mike!  My comment wasn't aimed at you, so my apologies if you thought so!

Try saying it with a straight face?  I couldn't even say it, let alone with a straight face!  :rofl:

Social source share

Hi!

Thank you very much!

Just started it, then clicked through it to see what the questions were. As already said, no questions about soul music, so have you gone on rock sites etc and asked the same questions about soul fans? Have you differentiated the different genres of soul music or just lumped it all in together?

Just as an aside, you'd probably get a better response if you interacted with your subjects (us) by posting follow up answers, otherwise it comes across a bit cold and clinical, and that's something in general fans of any music aren't.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Gene he could even be a first or second year student doing a degree,an undergraduate ,by what terms does he define himself a "psychologist",

Exactly Manus, and good points all round.  That comment itself confused me, and got me asking myself "is he a psychology student trying to make himself sound better than he really is, or actually a practising psychologist working at the Uni"?  If it's the former, then definitely no chance of help from me.  I don't like pretentious, boastful people fabricating their titles just to make themselves sound good - my family are experts in doing that, which is why I've cut off from most of them.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Just as an aside, you'd probably get a better response if you interacted with your subjects (us) by posting follow up answers, otherwise it comes across a bit cold and clinical, and that's something in general fans of any music aren't.

Exactly Winnie.  Over the year, where he's posted up five different surveys, he's not followed ANY of them up with results or findings, or even thanks - he has never even given his name. Quite a rude, intrusive approach. He's obviously just trying to use us.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Exactly Winnie.  Over the year, where he's posted up five different surveys, he's not followed ANY of them up with results or findings, or even thanks - he has never even given his name. Quite a rude, intrusive approach. He's obviously just trying to use us.

Why not send him a survey from soul source ,say a self assesment type with about twenty or thirty items on it and dependent on which ones he ticks that will tell him which of three types of right knobs that he is.Then shortly after send him a follow up stating it was send to him for taking the piss trying to use folk whose choice of music he hasnt even considered to boost his numbers when he shows his tutor how well hes done on each of his say five timess each year practrical s towards his final result combened with his exam.Perhaps he could send us back some imfo on how he rated himself and we can have it put up in another related thread.!

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Just started it, then clicked through it to see what the questions were. As already said, no questions about soul music, so have you gone on rock sites etc and asked the same questions about soul fans? Have you differentiated the different genres of soul music or just lumped it all in together?

Gene says he has posted five different so called "research"items,all questionaire I presume,with no follow up,no "thanks for your help"etc,that is being ignorant and easily percieved as piss taking by folk on here who in goodwill have participated in his study.However the big question as you say,has he gone on other music sites and asked the same questions with that sites genre excluded but questions about soul fans now in the mix,my guess is no he did not include soul as a catergory and hes trawling music sites with forums  of any genre  to get bigger numbers to take part,anyway he should be more open about who he is and what his postings about.

Social source share

Why not send him a survey from soul source ,say a self assesment type with about twenty or thirty items on it and dependent on which ones he ticks that will tell him which of three types of right knobs that he is.Then shortly after send him a follow up stating it was send to him for taking the piss trying to use folk whose choice of music he hasnt even considered to boost his numbers when he shows his tutor how well hes done on each of his say five timess each year practrical s towards his final result combened with his exam.Perhaps he could send us back some imfo on how he rated himself and we can have it put up in another related thread.!

Funny, but an excellent idea Manus!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!