I Think I May Have Found Some Lost Archive Tapes

Pete S

I've had a box of reel to reel tapes for years, I meant 25 years maybe the oldest ones, they were my ex wife's and her Dad used to record them off the tv and radio somehow.  I also have a large quantity of Mike Raven Soul Shows from Radio 1 circa 1970-1971, obviously I knew I had these but was a little disappointed because the actual dj had been edited out at the time, I only got about 30 minutes of the show with Mike Raven actually on it I think.  I would presume the BBC do have these shows?

Anyway I'd never really been through the tapes that were the ex-wifes and they contain some quite interesting stuff.

There are three recordings of Top Of The Pops, one features Pink Floyds very first appearance (though they were probably on film) and is introduced by Jimmy Savile and Tony Blackburn (introduced as a new dj on radio 1 lol).  The show probably doesn't exist in the BBC archive as a video tape, this is only an audio tape but still a nice snapshot of the time.

There's a full episode of TOTP from Feb 1968 hosted by Alan Freeman and featuring The Herd, Ola & The Janglers, Frankie Vaughan, DDBM&T, Traffic, The Seekers, Engelbert, Bee Gees and Barron Knights.

I found an apparently live concert by Petula Clark from 1967 but the Pet Clark fan club tell me that it became available on a dvd so that's not a rare one then.

There are various tv appearances from pop shows but they usually cut out just as the applause starts.  These are all from 67-68.

There are two full episodes of Crackerjack!  One is an episode I can actually remember watching because my current favourite record was performed live, "Everlasting Love" by The Love Affair, Don Patridge was also on the show singing "Rosie".

Finally, a radio show entitled Easybeat which I think is from 1965, could be 1964.

This is all live in the BBC studios in front of an audience and features:

THE HOLLIES - YES I WILL, INSTRUMENTAL, MICKEYS MONKEY

THE MIGIL 5 - A LITTLE BIT TOO LATE, JUST BEHIND THE RAINBOW, LOOP ME LOVE

SANDRA BROWNE - KNOCK ON ANY DOOR, HALF AS MUCH

JANIE MARDEN - CLOSE TO YOU

WOUT STEINHOUS - UNKNOWN, FOLLOW THE DUN

LAURA LEE - TEN TINY FINGERS

DANNY STREET - I APOLOGISE

THE YARDBIRDS - FOR YOUR LOVE

MATT MONROE - WITHOUT YOU

PETER & GORDON - FUNNY HOW LOVE CAN BE

TONY STEVENS - MISUNDERSTOOD

I wonder if the BBC would be interested in that show as it appears to be complete...

Social source share

The Beeb were advertising for people with old material not too long ago, think it was mostly VHS recorded stuff from what I remember,

They also said they would not take people to court over the copyrights if people had any old tapes that were of interest to them. 

That's very good of them.  :lol:    :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Beeb were advertising for people with old material not too long ago, think it was mostly VHS recorded stuff from what I remember,

They also said they would not take people to court over the copyrights if people had any old tapes that were of interest to them. 

That's very good of them.  :lol:    :lol:

It is, isn't it, they can do one if they think I'd actually GIVE them stuff for nothing, they were stupid enough to erase it all!

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I found a company that converted reel to reel to cd for you, cost about £40 for an hours worth of material.

you can get it cheaper than that, the way to do it is offer it to the BBC and get them to do it, then they supply you with it on Disc.. they pay for post also...

I speak with the BBC News desk and stills guys most days, so have asked them for a contact over in the archive, I'll pip it to you pete, better than going through the web site.

m

Social source share

you can get it cheaper than that, the way to do it is offer it to the BBC and get them to do it, then they supply you with it on Disc.. they pay for post also...

I speak with the BBC News desk and stills guys most days, so have asked them for a contact over in the archive, I'll pip it to you pete, better than going through the web site.

m

Cheers Malc, I did drop them a line via their website but doubt they'll bother replying.

Social source share

I've had a box of reel to reel tapes for years, I meant 25 years maybe the oldest ones, they were my ex wife's and her Dad used to record them off the tv and radio somehow.  I also have a large quantity of Mike Raven Soul Shows from Radio 1 circa 1970-1971, obviously I knew I had these but was a little disappointed because the actual dj had been edited out at the time, I only got about 30 minutes of the show with Mike Raven actually on it I think.  I would presume the BBC do have these shows?

Anyway I'd never really been through the tapes that were the ex-wifes and they contain some quite interesting stuff.

There are three recordings of Top Of The Pops, one features Pink Floyds very first appearance (though they were probably on film) and is introduced by Jimmy Savile and Tony Blackburn (introduced as a new dj on radio 1 lol).  The show probably doesn't exist in the BBC archive as a video tape, this is only an audio tape but still a nice snapshot of the time.

There's a full episode of TOTP from Feb 1968 hosted by Alan Freeman and featuring The Herd, Ola & The Janglers, Frankie Vaughan, DDBM&T, Traffic, The Seekers, Engelbert, Bee Gees and Barron Knights.

I found an apparently live concert by Petula Clark from 1967 but the Pet Clark fan club tell me that it became available on a dvd so that's not a rare one then.

There are various tv appearances from pop shows but they usually cut out just as the applause starts.  These are all from 67-68.

There are two full episodes of Crackerjack!  One is an episode I can actually remember watching because my current favourite record was performed live, "Everlasting Love" by The Love Affair, Don Patridge was also on the show singing "Rosie".

Finally, a radio show entitled Easybeat which I think is from 1965, could be 1964.

This is all live in the BBC studios in front of an audience and features:

THE HOLLIES - YES I WILL, INSTRUMENTAL, MICKEYS MONKEY

THE MIGIL 5 - A LITTLE BIT TOO LATE, JUST BEHIND THE RAINBOW, LOOP ME LOVE

SANDRA BROWNE - KNOCK ON ANY DOOR, HALF AS MUCH

JANIE MARDEN - CLOSE TO YOU

WOUT STEINHOUS - UNKNOWN, FOLLOW THE DUN

LAURA LEE - TEN TINY FINGERS

DANNY STREET - I APOLOGISE

THE YARDBIRDS - FOR YOUR LOVE

MATT MONROE - WITHOUT YOU

PETER & GORDON - FUNNY HOW LOVE CAN BE

TONY STEVENS - MISUNDERSTOOD

I wonder if the BBC would be interested in that show as it appears to be complete...

Pete, the BBC archive licensing dept is on the same floor as me. I'll check with them and see if they have the above.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!