Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Dave West

Jumping Record, Help

Got a couple of 45's that jump once midway through the track, both play well apart from the jump.look VG but play EX. 

no major scratches.

Can these be fixed ? cleaned a million times so its not a dirt issue

Dave

I usually treat jumps on an old mono record player I have.  My trick is to hold down the cartridge over the area where it jumps whilst playing, stopping it doing so, and repeating this process a few times.

Unless it's a really nasty, deep scratch (or an original copy of Gwen Owens :rofl: ), it always works.  Can also be done with records that stick.

Edited by Gene-R

Thanks for that, will give it a try, hope it works records are Vows Tell me , and Joe Tex wanna be free.

Tried PVA on joe tex didnt work not tried on other.

Hey up Dave how come you can afford a maid. Haha

Thanks for that, will give it a try, hope it works records are Vows Tell me , and Joe Tex wanna be free.

Tried PVA on joe tex didnt work not tried on other.

Hey up Dave how come you can afford a maid. Haha

Take care with styrene records - too much pressure on the stylus may cause a permanent hiss.

I usually treat jumps on an old mono record player I have.  My trick is to hold down the cartridge over the area where it jumps whilst playing, stopping it doing so, and repeating this process a few times.

Unless it's a really nasty, deep scratch (or an original copy of Gwen Owens :rofl: ), it always works.  Can also be done with records that stick.

Yes as the stick is caused by a nick of vinyl blocking the groove, doing the above should cut it out.

Yes as the stick is caused by a nick of vinyl blocking the groove.....

Or a scratch going in the opposite direction of one that causes a jump.  As a rough guide, a scratch in this direction (/) will cause the record to jump, whereas one in this direction () is likely to make it stick.

Edited by Gene-R

Its the first one causing it to jump. So can it be recut with a heavy needle

Dave

Yes.  That's what my idea effectively does - creates a continuation onto the groove.

I will fix a skip under a scope for $20 if you want me to. No chance of styrene burn, it's a deterministic process, and can fix even almost-impossible-to-fix parallel to the groove scratches and gouges.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts