Jumping Record, Help

Dave West

I usually treat jumps on an old mono record player I have.  My trick is to hold down the cartridge over the area where it jumps whilst playing, stopping it doing so, and repeating this process a few times.

Unless it's a really nasty, deep scratch (or an original copy of Gwen Owens :rofl: ), it always works.  Can also be done with records that stick.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for that, will give it a try, hope it works records are Vows Tell me , and Joe Tex wanna be free.

Tried PVA on joe tex didnt work not tried on other.

Hey up Dave how come you can afford a maid. Haha

Take care with styrene records - too much pressure on the stylus may cause a permanent hiss.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I usually treat jumps on an old mono record player I have.  My trick is to hold down the cartridge over the area where it jumps whilst playing, stopping it doing so, and repeating this process a few times.

Unless it's a really nasty, deep scratch (or an original copy of Gwen Owens :rofl: ), it always works.  Can also be done with records that stick.

Yes as the stick is caused by a nick of vinyl blocking the groove, doing the above should cut it out.

Social source share

Yes as the stick is caused by a nick of vinyl blocking the groove.....

Or a scratch going in the opposite direction of one that causes a jump.  As a rough guide, a scratch in this direction (/) will cause the record to jump, whereas one in this direction () is likely to make it stick.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!